Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: g35 vs s2000 compare

Default g35 vs s2000 compare

ok where u owners and none owners i tried to find a thread was done awhile back but couldn't find it, if u was to buy 1 which 1 would u get and why? also handling and power on the s2000 vs 350z.and which 1 will be overall the best bang for the buck.

talk to me
    I check sluts off my list like a maintnence man
    I drive a low is3 just so it gives me a reason to drive super slow on these rough ga roads.

i like both. but i prefer backseats

id rather have a g35 but s2000s are cool, you cant go wrong with either. If you want it for performance s2000 is the obvious choice.

s2k is faster

both look great

g35 is more upscale/luxury/nicer inside and out

I would get a g, but why don't you go to a couple car dealerships, test drive them, and find out for yourself?

G35 has more plastic inside that falls apart/falls off/paint chips/just looks like crap. S200 just dosent have anything inside.

The g35 also is in a class completely different that the s2000. The 350z would be more comparable, but then once again you have a TON of plastic. To each their own, I picked the s2000 for reliability, the look, and of course....VTEC ALL THE WAY TO 9000!!!!!!

Patience Pays...

I'm pretty experienced with the G35 and only driven an S2K once. If you like to drive a lot and comfort is a concern, the G isn't the most comfortable but it surpasses the S2K. If you're a pure driving enthusiast and care more about the driving experience go for the S2K cause the G is fun, but not S2K fun. It all depends on what you are looking for.

My first G, very unreliable but then again I did a ton of modding. This 2nd one, 80k+ miles without an issue and they're pretty easy to maintain yourself. (And no plastic parts that fall apart) A lot of the mods for the 350Z crosses over to the G35 and the potential for more power I would say goes to the G.

Should you decide to go the twin turbo route, the thing is a monster and responds very well to boost. A drop, some aggressive wheels and you have an amazing looking car.

Osaka Sokutatsu mocha latte cupcake's Avatar

having a S2k... i WANT to love the 350z and G35 coupe, but i just can't. they are different cars.

S2k - convertible, 9k rpm, VTAK, and great handling from the factory
    cons: Small interior (not good for longer trips) torque is none existent(sp?), they respond decent to NA mod, but AP1's get that awesome snap oversteer.

350z - torque, a heavier more "solid" feel on the road, nicer seats (imo) backseat...sorta. more interior room and trunk space.
    cons: heavy as a fat bitch in a mcdonalds drive thru line for the 3rd day in a row, factory handling is weak sos. (i'm yet to drive one i like, but coilovers seem to fix it from what i hear)

i am a die hard nissan fan but i haven't been able to bring myself to actually buy one (even though they were cheaper than the S2k) they do feel... "slower" than the S2k, but that i will attribute to her dunka booty. NA they both suck on power (unless you get a AP2 _I/H/E/Hondata_ ~~vs~~ REV UP 350z.

i'm having a hard time replacing my AP1. I love the car, it handles nicely, was fairly quick when i had her all modded. but i need something i can travel in a bit nicer.

I have owned both, the G is a more forgiving car on the race track, but if you know how to hustle a car like a go kart and leave the a$$ end out you can make the S2000 faster.

The G has more room and is more comfortable. Taking trips in a S2000 sucks, you and significant other can only pack a backpack full of clothes for the trip, and it's loud on the highway.

S2k does get better gas mileage.

S2k's eat up tires.

If you park outside, S2K's suck in the winter.

S2k OEM radio blows donky di@%

Both car's accept mods well and have a strong aftermarket.

S2k's have to have the valves adjusted every 30K and is an expensive service at the dealer

thats all i can think of for now

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

The S2K looks better, drives better, handles better, sounds better, more reliable, lighter, sportier.

The G35 has more room.

I chose, would choose, the S2000 because of the sportier feeling and the all around performance aspect. It may not have the torque that the G35 has, but once you get that little bitch moving, she goes.
    Daily driving is a loss because of the soft top in winter (needs hardtop), less torque for city driving, not too much room, and only one of these things actually bothers me.

if back seats isn't a concern and you don't plan on boosting the car and spending lots of money on it, go with a 350z. Best bang for your buck at this point in time, especially since they've dropped so much in price with the 370 out. s2k is good if you want a cute little girly car, or you want to boost it without spending too much on the motor and get some great gains. On a side note, don't listen to anything simon has to say, his heads in his ass, and he would prefer a miata over any car.
    Way Too Big

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

_██_
    (ಠ_ృ) Riveting tale, chap.

S2k ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    1. It gets really old when people keep calling southside a thief, b/c honestly, they have no phucking idea! lol

LizBiz eats Carpet! bdydrpdmazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xxbckiexx View Post
    if back seats isn't a concern and you don't plan on boosting the car and spending lots of money on it, go with a 350z. Best bang for your buck at this point in time, especially since they've dropped so much in price with the 370 out. s2k is good if you want a cute little girly car, or you want to boost it without spending too much on the motor and get some great gains. On a side note, don't listen to anything simon has to say, his heads in his ass, and he would prefer a miata over any car.
    I agree with this post 100%

Why not get both? Both are different cars anyways. I own a G35 and it's NOT the best handling car, comparing to S2K. But response VERY WELL to suspension mods.

S2000 is straight out the box OEM handle better than the OEM G35.

That being said, I'd prefer the 350z as a DD instead of the S2K. Gotta love that torque. Z&G parts are interchangeable and the Z handles quite good, being stock.

Quote Originally Posted by xxbckiexx View Post
    lol, I've driven both. You're quite mistaken about a couple things though. Best bang for the buck right now is to pick up an AP1. They are more reliable and less expensive than the early model 350Z.
    As for the S2000 being a cute girly car?? I'll not knock your opinion.
    But it's very simple.... DD buy a G35, for a toy that you'll drive occasionally buy an S2000.
    And Simon is pretty much right about his opinions about the S2k, which has no relation to his Miata love.

Quote Originally Posted by dtmcnamara View Post
    G35 has more plastic inside that falls apart/falls off/paint chips/just looks like crap. S200 just dosent have anything inside.

The g35 also is in a class completely different that the s2000. The 350z would be more comparable, but then once again you have a TON of plastic. To each their own, I picked the s2000 for reliability, the look, and of course....VTEC ALL THE WAY TO 9000!!!!!!
    Thats all folks!!!!!!!!!!!
    Work in progressneed slicks!

thanks guy's and i am glad every 1 commented about the 350z because that was another choice that i forgot to add lol!! I sold my other car and i am waiting for my court shi* to go through to make sure i still have license before i go get another car,I am pretty much getting 1 for mtn runs and a dd.And i don't want payments and all 3 cars are affordable now without spending alot of $ so thats a +
    I drive a low is3 just so it gives me a reason to drive super slow on these rough ga roads.

too many un biased opinions...lol especially the guy that used to own the brembo less 2001 nismo 350z..

But anyway.. i feel the same about both. Im not too favorable to either one.

s2000 is small inside, and isnt a very comfortable car on long trips, and in GA we drive alot..ask jm about his road trips from sc to ga..lol. But depending on your size. but iots not made to be big, its made to be a sports roadster and perform.

G35 is a luxury sport sedan. meaning it has all the extras plus more. And has the extra space, and comfort to have a passenger without being on top of each other.

They both have crazy aftermarket, so thats a tie for both.
    As far as a performer the s2k was built to perform, so im sure stock v stock it will out perform the G.
    Looks? its all opinion..

bang for the buck they both cost about the same.. A good G for 14-15k, and s2k about 12-13k. But as far as what you get.. you do get more with the G35, as far as options and extras and comfort.

And reliability is all up to the previous care of the car. SO its up in the air. Truthfully i would trust the honda on the reliability part. But the Vq is a very reliable motor itself, but i have heard the later versions of the vq are better than the older ones...

Its a toss up to me, but if it was my decision. it would be G35.. because im tall..and being comfortable is soo important, and it goes along way for me. And the s2k has kind of tuned into a different type of car.. within the years. G35 is still mature!

I love both but wouldn't compare them. Wade Davis of Tallapoosa has a TT G35 for a DD and track car. He first boosted it back in 05 or so and it is still running strong with over 500hp. It would be my choice for a DD but not if I were to use it on track. In that case I would go with the S2000... or a new MX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Octopus™ View Post
    yeah thats all you got cuz shortly after that picture you accepted tasteful wheels and better fitment into your life as your Lowered and Savior.

Amen.

okay. ive own both in the past 6months and this is what i have to say.

s2000: ive always been a honda guy and s2k is nice shifts so well top down ladies love it. its very small but its something i can bare with im only 5'8 160lbs. gas was pretty good low 20s in city. very fun to drive

g35 coupe: i have 6spd MT very luxury heated seats ftw during winter. navi =). doesnt drive like a fackin honda. pretty horrible on gas i fill up 1/2 every 3 days dont drive that much. doesnt handle as well as an s2

both in common: chick magnet. i think i would go back to an ap2

common

^ i am not tall but i am big and i am starting to think the s2000 might wear on me in and out of it 24/7 but not really sure.I drove 1 back when i was 180 and i got in it ok and the way it handle was priceless but i weigh in around 245 now so my body has changed alot not sure it would be as confy as once before..

I say get in better shape, its worth it!

yeah thats all you got cuz shortly after that picture you accepted tasteful wheels and better fitment into your life as your Lowered and Savior.

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by stay_up View Post
    ^ i am not tall but i am big and i am starting to think the s2000 might wear on me in and out of it 24/7 but not really sure.I drove 1 back when i was 180 and i got in it ok and the way it handle was priceless but i weigh in around 245 now so my body has changed alot not sure it would be as confy as once before..
    if ur 245.. and not tall.. the s2k might not be comfortable for u!

maybe rx8? or mustang?

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

FTW

Quote Originally Posted by JITB View Post
    if ur 245.. and not tall.. the s2k might not be comfortable for u!

maybe rx8? or mustang?

I have the same waist as 1 was at 180 i just let the bench get out of hand then stopped all at once and starting eating junk food so its not like i am huge and no i have had 3 stangs don't want another 1 plus i plan to get back around 215..

It's so hard to choose between the two. I don't think I can help you anymore lol

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by nsany(atl) View Post
    I have owned both, the G is a more forgiving car on the race track, but if you know how to hustle a car like a go kart and leave the a$$ end out you can make the S2000 faster.

The G has more room and is more comfortable. Taking trips in a S2000 sucks, you and significant other can only pack a backpack full of clothes for the trip, and it's loud on the highway.

S2k does get better gas mileage.

S2k's eat up tires.

If you park outside, S2K's suck in the winter.

S2k OEM radio blows donky di@%

Both car's accept mods well and have a strong aftermarket.

S2k's have to have the valves adjusted every 30K and is an expensive service at the dealer

thats all i can think of for now
    I have to disagree with you on a few points here. Your use of hyperbole is less than welcome in a thread where honest and fair observations are requested.

First off, valve adjustment is recommended every 90K miles for an S2000. NOT 30K. Sounds like someone took you for a nice ride with that service. Certain older models required it earlier, but for the S2000 that just isn't true.

Secondly- S2000s can be modified, but they don't respond nearly as well to modifications as a G35/350Z would. The only meaningful mod one can do to add power to an S2000 is going FI. Things like exhaust/intake are only done on S2000s for show and sound. In a lot of cases, I am sure modifying these parts would even cause a driver to lose and not gain power.

Not sure what you mean by S2000s eating up tires. That would depend largely on your individual tire selection and driving habits. I have had fronts that lasted more than 40K miles and rears to last about 30k. In fact, I remember the earliest 350Zs and G35s having TSB issues to address alignment specs and tire wear. If you are addressing the fact that the S2000 has a staggered setup from the factory, it is the same way for all three vehicles.

Again, not sure what you mean by the S2000 "sucking" when you have to park it outside in the winter. Perhaps you could clarify that point before I discuss it further.

You are right on a couple of examples- the car is noisy. It has virtually zero sound deadening material installed. This means you hear just about everything going on outside of the car. Add a soft top to that, and it means it is even more noisy.

Not all S2000's radios suck. Sure, with 00-01 models, there were only 2 speakers total in the cabin, so sound was always an issue. Things got better over time. 06+ cars had speakers and individual mount tweeters in the doors as well as 2 speakers in each rollbar.

Not sure what you were carrying in your trunk, but you can certainly pack more than a single backpack full of items for a trip. Sure, it is not as cavernous as a G35's trunk, it isn't that bad.

Overall- S2000 is a more performance oriented and no frills car. No navigation. No heated seats. No fancy sound system. It is more hardcore and less compromising than a G35 coupe. The interior is spartan and simple. It will outperform a G35 coupe on a track and it will just generally outhandle it as well. The car is much lighter than the other.

The Infiniti is a luxury coupe. It is packed with features, even in its basic form, that outstrip the S2000. It is more quiet and more comfortable than the S2000 will ever hope to be. It is still reasonably reliable and requires less effort to get power when driving casually. The S2000 really needs to be ringed out and driven to dizzying RPMs to get notable power.

The cars are different. Very different.
    G37s 6MT/coupe

Id prefer the G35, 350z then S2k... But all in all you should definatly think about a IS300, the earlier ones, like 2002's.
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Sunkenkarma View Post
    Id prefer the G35, 350z then S2k... But all in all you should definatly think about a IS300, the earlier ones, like 2002's.

i just got the wife a 04 is300 so i am not looking to go that route

Certified Gearhead

If it is a daily drive, I would get a G because it is comfortable, the room space, and I always love that exhaust tone it has. One of my friend used to own a s2k, and i always have to give him a ride, just because he can't fit something in his car. Also, the s2k is loud, engine and road noise, I just can't take it everyday. If it comes to weekend/fun car, S2k. I love top down, the 9k ap1 rpm.
    Look, if its done right, they both can look good. Maintenance, depends on the owners, but heard more problems for the G. When getting used s2k, check compression, saw quiet a few with messed up compressions.

283.5°.516"(13.11mm) DirtyMechanic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NissanTun3r View Post
    s2k is faster

both look great

g35 is more upscale/luxury/nicer inside and out

I would get a g, but why don't you go to a couple car dealerships, test drive them, and find out for yourself?
    shhhh

Quote Originally Posted by 5speed View Post
    I love both but wouldn't compare them. Wade Davis of Tallapoosa has a TT G35 for a DD and track car. He first boosted it back in 05 or so and it is still running strong with over 500hp. It would be my choice for a DD but not if I were to use it on track. In that case I would go with the S2000... or a new MX-5
    not on stock block. he PAID for that reliablity with TT.
    The G Spot Hero

"Nitrous is like a hot girl with STDS, you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by sprix! View Post
    I have to disagree with you on a few points here. Your use of hyperbole is less than welcome in a thread where honest and fair observations are requested.

First off, valve adjustment is recommended every 90K miles for an S2000. NOT 30K. Sounds like someone took you for a nice ride with that service. Certain older models required it earlier, but for the S2000 that just isn't true.

Secondly- S2000s can be modified, but they don't respond nearly as well to modifications as a G35/350Z would. The only meaningful mod one can do to add power to an S2000 is going FI. Things like exhaust/intake are only done on S2000s for show and sound. In a lot of cases, I am sure modifying these parts would even cause a driver to lose and not gain power.

Not sure what you mean by S2000s eating up tires. That would depend largely on your individual tire selection and driving habits. I have had fronts that lasted more than 40K miles and rears to last about 30k. In fact, I remember the earliest 350Zs and G35s having TSB issues to address alignment specs and tire wear. If you are addressing the fact that the S2000 has a staggered setup from the factory, it is the same way for all three vehicles.

Again, not sure what you mean by the S2000 "sucking" when you have to park it outside in the winter. Perhaps you could clarify that point before I discuss it further.

You are right on a couple of examples- the car is noisy. It has virtually zero sound deadening material installed. This means you hear just about everything going on outside of the car. Add a soft top to that, and it means it is even more noisy.

Not all S2000's radios suck. Sure, with 00-01 models, there were only 2 speakers total in the cabin, so sound was always an issue. Things got better over time. 06+ cars had speakers and individual mount tweeters in the doors as well as 2 speakers in each rollbar.

Not sure what you were carrying in your trunk, but you can certainly pack more than a single backpack full of items for a trip. Sure, it is not as cavernous as a G35's trunk, it isn't that bad.

Overall- S2000 is a more performance oriented and no frills car. No navigation. No heated seats. No fancy sound system. It is more hardcore and less compromising than a G35 coupe. The interior is spartan and simple. It will outperform a G35 coupe on a track and it will just generally outhandle it as well. The car is much lighter than the other.

The Infiniti is a luxury coupe. It is packed with features, even in its basic form, that outstrip the S2000. It is more quiet and more comfortable than the S2000 will ever hope to be. It is still reasonably reliable and requires less effort to get power when driving casually. The S2000 really needs to be ringed out and driven to dizzying RPMs to get notable power.

The cars are different. Very different.
    Ha, everything I was thinking but too lazy to type out. Yes, a lot of times the power goes backwards instead of forward with exhaust "mods". Reps!

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMechanic View Post
    shhhh

not on stock block. he PAID for that reliability with TT.
    Well, obviously that would be done with most cars making that kind of power and driven that much. The stock block itself I hear can handle a good bit though, very FI friendly.

Amen.

283.5°.516"(13.11mm) DirtyMechanic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5speed View Post
    Well, obviously that would be done with most cars making that kind of power and driven that much. The stock block itself I hear can handle a good bit though, very FI friendly.
    yes they do love boost. but stock blocks are really only reliable to about 400whp and then reliablity drops and drops very quick after 430whp. but i do know the new 3.5 hr 350 and the new 3.7 can handle 500whp very nicely and love boost even more. then the older DE and REV-UP motors.
    The G Spot Hero

"Nitrous is like a hot girl with STDS, you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMechanic View Post
    yes they do love boost. but stock blocks are really only reliable to about 400whp and then reliablity drops and drops very quick after 430whp. but i do know the new 3.5 hr 350 and the new 3.7 can handle 500whp very nicely and love boost even more. then the older DE and REV-UP motors.
    Yep, I love them. I would like to have the last year G35. G37 are very nice but I kinda like the 35 headlights more. But then again, the stock hp gains from the 37 are well worth it. And more displacement makes for more torque

Amen.

If I were a midget I would consider getting an s2k...lol

seriously though I test drove one and felt extremely crampt...they handle nicely though...and brake equally good

I am about 6'2 and didnt have a problem with fitment surprisingly.

Amen.

if you're looking for a moutain/fun/dd car, buy the g35 or 350z and do some suspension mods. that will probably be your best bet..... I dd my S, but i am not one that craves creature comforts.

oh yea, most s2000 mods are done for weight saving purposes. an aftermarket exhaust may only gain miniscule horsepower, but a good single can lose you around 40 lbs without going titanium which could lose you about 50 or so lbs.

and the convertible sucks in winter because of the heatloss from a canvas top instead of a conventional metal top with headliner.

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    The S2K looks better, drives better, handles better, sounds better, more reliable, lighter, sportier.

The G35 has more room.
    Lmao. Really. I'm sorry but i have beaten a s2k in my G35 by a car or 2 from dig and 50kick. Of course no twisties, cause i know they will rape the G. Also G sounds way better. Go get your ear checked up. and reliable? Dude shutup man you have no idea what your taling about. Looks, i think G looks better in stock, but those s2k with hard tops are so sexy.

I have no say in s2k cause i've never driven one, but i can say about what i have driven. And its the g35.

Interior is pretty nice(no, i have yet to see some plastic fly off or break on my car), everything seems solid inside. It has good sound system, a lot of features, and gas isn't that bad. got 26mpg last time i pumped. (shell gas fyi) .

Performance wise, it's not all that bad. It handles pretty good, has good amount of tq, and it runs smooth. Don't know why people say g35 are not reliable.. Every car breaks down, it just depends on the owner who maintained the vehicle and how they drove it.
    My G has never broke down on me, so i can say its pretty reliable.

Overall, i love the G, its reliable, some what fast, comfortable, has somewhat of room inside, audio is great and it looks great.

If your choosing which to buy like i was couple months ago, test drive both cars. Your answer will come up. G.l
    :idb:

Quote Originally Posted by G.C View Post
    Lmao. Really. I'm sorry but i have beaten a s2k in my G35 by a car or 2 from a 50kick. .l
    i would like to see a stock G35 v a stock S2k from a 50 kick

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast