Thread: WTB: Cheap Shotgun

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Default WTB: Cheap Shotgun

Looking for a cheap regular ol' shotgun for sale.

Let me know what you have, looking to spend under $200.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Walmart sells a pretty good shotgun under $200, the Mossberg maverick 88. It's an economical version of the mossberg 500. It's got all the same aftermarket support as the 500 if you were looking for something for defense that you could play with tactical upgrades. The 500 is the "1911" of shotguns.

I myself have a mossberg 500 and dont really see how it's worth the price difference over the 88. The 500 has a poor safety mechanism that doesnt work right. The safety and trigger on the 88 feels better. The 88 has a plastic stock vs wood on the 500, 500 is a little heavier and more "dressy" but i cant tell a difference other than that.

I'd sell you my 500 and then turn around and buy myself an 88.

IA.COM Founder.

I never understood that.. I always thought the same thing of the Maverick.. I wish I would've bought a Maverick vs. My 500..Before I knew any better.

Certified Gearhead

I bought a new Mossy 500 at Academy about 8 months ago and it has all the cheap plastic parts. It's the shorter barrel home defense version with a pistol grip included with it, but if I wanted to put any tactical pump action parts on it, I'd have to get a whole new pump action mechanism as it's not modular like the real deal.

Just go to Wal Mart or Academy and buy a Mossberg 88, they go for about $180.
    Chris / 97' Volvo 850R Wagon / 86' Porsche 944 Turbo

dont buy that!

My 500 has ate 1000's of rounds flawlessly. Zip, zero, nada problems... Ever

Maybe because it's an older Persuader model? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    My 500 has ate 1000's of rounds flawlessly. Zip, zero, nada problems... Ever

Maybe because it's an older Persuader model? I dunno.
    this is the only thing wrong with a 500

Quote Originally Posted by fivex684 View Post
    Just go to Wal Mart or Academy and buy a Mossberg 88, they go for about $180.
    X2 that Academy Mossberg is a great deal

Certified Gearhead

I bought a maverick 88 from the gun shop in Marietta for like 200 or alittle less. this thing shoots flawless. good aftermarket support as well. Id go that route if i where you!

Quote Originally Posted by gottraction? View Post
    I bought a maverick 88 from the gun shop in Marietta for like 200 or alittle less. this thing shoots flawless. good aftermarket support as well. Id go that route if i where you!
    NO WAY! xD

Thanks for the ideas everyone, didn't even know Academy had guns we don't have one in my area but I'll find one. I checked out Wal Mart before I made this thread and they're sold out of shotguns. I'll check around at some others.

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    Thanks for the ideas everyone, didn't even know Academy had guns we don't have one in my area but I'll find one. I checked out Wal Mart before I made this thread and they're sold out of shotguns. I'll check around at some others.
    Academy really has a good selection, but as stated above, the Mossy is ~$200 anywhere, and really is a sturdy shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    Any place that has guns should offer the maverick 88. It should be under $200 at every retailer. I've seen them marked as low as $140 on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Any place that has guns should offer the maverick 88. It should be under $200 at every retailer. I've seen them marked as low as $140 on sale.
    Sounds good to me, thanks!

I've got the Mossberg 500a which is a pistol grip, short barreled home defense/riot type shotgun. It's a Caddilac at an econobox price. Got mine a few years ago at a pawn shop for $125.

Kane
    <a href=http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6113/normalseqouyah.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6...alseqouyah.jpg</a>

I've had my 88 for 3yrs and have put more then 1000 shells through it, never had a feed, ejection, of jam by far the best $200 I even spent

TOYOTA1515

I will be buying a Winchester SXP Defender as soon as the holidays finished!

SR20 Carbed Datsun B310