PDA

View Full Version : Body work and spray gun...

gtikid
01-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Does anyone have a friend or know someone they would recommend to do any kind of body work? I'm not really looking for a shop or something to do it, just need a little bondo. I would play with bondo myself but I don't wanna mess anything up haha.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to paint spray guns? Been looking around for some, but I don't know anything about a quality spray gun so if anyone has any input i'd appreciate it :goodjob: . Been lookin on Ebay for some, but I don't know how much I can trust those haha...

95droppedhatch
01-08-2007, 08:26 PM
if you want to bring it to my house i can do the work and some really good gun are the new satajet 3000 and the devilbliss but they are pretty expensive but good quality guns but i have learned from my teachers and the cars i have painted is that you can paint with any kind of gun you just have to know how to use the adjustments on the gun i have sprayed with the satajet 3000 and i have sprayed with home depot guns and they spray about the same quality but let me know about the body work i will give you a good deal and take some pics of what you want done

boostedb16
01-09-2007, 04:28 PM
i would have to disagree with a cheap gun being as good as a high end gun. i have a sata digital and its the shit and i had a home depot gun that was a piece of shit. i would recommend getting a good gun because its worth it in the long run. go to any body shop and look at what there using and i bet its not a cheap one. where are you located and how much work do you need done. lmk and i will do you right on the price. i dont try to get rich of people like most shops.

2.0civic
01-09-2007, 04:30 PM
hmmm...i need some work done too...civic quarter panel...i got pics in my FS thread of the damage if you guys want to take a look

LOL we could have body shop day or something and do both cars

95droppedhatch
01-09-2007, 04:32 PM
well i have sprayed with the sata digital 2000 and 3000 and if you can set the gun right the cheap gun will spray pretty good too i didnt say that it would spray the same but you can ask pretty much anybody that teaches this trade and they will tell you i graduated from one of the best schools for this field and my teachers that have painted for 20-30 years has said the same thing and i also said that i would recommend getting the sata or devilbliss if he could afford it but if not then a homedepot gun would do pretty good

Bishop
01-09-2007, 06:51 PM
i agree with 95droppedhatch. High end guns and low end guns will spray the same (considering you have the same fluid tip) as long as you know how to set it up and keep it clean. If you paint often, buy a high end gun (like a devilbiss, sata, or iwata). They will last unlike the low end ones. I have a devilbiss and love it. Works great and hve not had a problem with it. I have been using it for a year and it's held up great. And it was fairly cheap (around $250). I have used a sata and it was great too, but it costs a bit more money. I use iwata's at school and i have a iwata airbrush. They work great. The main thing is keeping it clean.

Whats your price range? I may be able to help you out.

gtikid
01-09-2007, 09:34 PM
hmmm...i need some work done too...civic quarter panel...i got pics in my FS thread of the damage if you guys want to take a look

LOL we could have body shop day or something and do both cars

Hahahaha maaaan that seems like a pretty damn good idea actually :goodjob: And you dont live too far from my brothers house so this could be convenient haha :D

gtikid
01-09-2007, 09:35 PM
i agree with 95droppedhatch. High end guns and low end guns will spray the same (considering you have the same fluid tip) as long as you know how to set it up and keep it clean. If you paint often, buy a high end gun (like a devilbiss, sata, or iwata). They will last unlike the low end ones. I have a devilbiss and love it. Works great and hve not had a problem with it. I have been using it for a year and it's held up great. And it was fairly cheap (around $250). I have used a sata and it was great too, but it costs a bit more money. I use iwata's at school and i have a iwata airbrush. They work great. The main thing is keeping it clean.

Whats your price range? I may be able to help you out.

A price range on a gun? Well since this would be my first one, I would say somewhere around maybe like $100? I dunno if that would get me anything good or what...what would you recommend?

boostedb16
01-09-2007, 09:36 PM
well i have sprayed with the sata digital 2000 and 3000 and if you can set the gun right the cheap gun will spray pretty good too i didnt say that it would spray the same but you can ask pretty much anybody that teaches this trade and they will tell you i graduated from one of the best schools for this field and my teachers that have painted for 20-30 years has said the same thing and i also said that i would recommend getting the sata or devilbliss if he could afford it but if not then a homedepot gun would do pretty good
i understand that, but the cheaper guns dont atomize the paint and clear like a sata or devilbliss. i do my work at a friends shop and they was die hard devilbliss users but when i bought my sata two of them bought the same gun. but like you said price is daylight and dark different.

boostedb16
01-09-2007, 09:38 PM
A price range on a gun? Well since this would be my first one, I would say somewhere around maybe like $100? I dunno if that would get me anything good or what...what would you recommend?
you could go for a sharpe brand gun. they are in the middle of cheap and high but a decent gun.

Bishop
01-09-2007, 09:44 PM
you could go for a sharpe brand gun. they are in the middle of cheap and high but a decent gun.
i got a sharpe as my second gun i bought. It was decent. Bought it new for just under $100. Still use it as my primer gun today.

for around $100 you may want to look at the devilbiss finshline guns.

boostedb16
01-09-2007, 09:50 PM
i got a sharpe as my second gun i bought. It was decent. Bought it new for just under $100. Still use it as my primer gun today.

for around $100 you may want to look at the devilbiss finshline guns.
yea i forgot about those. i would go for the finishline gun over a sharpe.

boostedb16
01-09-2007, 09:51 PM
if you can find a good used binks that would be good too.

Bishop
01-09-2007, 09:54 PM
check out this link. I love this site because they have everything there. It's like 10 sites in 1.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/devgate.aspx

for a base/clear gun,get a 1.3 or 1.4 tip. for a primer gun, get a 1.8 tip.

i would suggest the finishline 3 with the 1.3 tip for your base/clear gun. I have never used a finishline3 gun but i have heard they are good for the money.

but if you need a primer gun, the startline kit may be the way to go. I think those are fairly new so i havent heard anything about them yet.

gtikid
01-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Why wouldn't I use a gun for primer and base/clear? I'm curious...are the tips interchangeable on guns?

gtikid
01-09-2007, 11:28 PM
I really appreciate everyone's help...you guys have been really helpful in everything!

boostedb16
01-09-2007, 11:32 PM
you can change tips but i would not spray anything but base/clear thru my sata. its better to have a gun for both.

Bishop
01-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Why wouldn't I use a gun for primer and base/clear? I'm curious...are the tips interchangeable on guns?
because primer is a pain to clean and it needs a larger tip. Everyone i know has a seperate gun for strictly primer. Keeps everything seperated. The tips are interchangable but you have to buy the tip that is made for that gun or by the same manurfacture (not sure).

gtikid
01-09-2007, 11:50 PM
O ok, that's understandable. Ok then, would you guys recommend anything fancy when it comes to getting a primer gun? Or just anything would do?

2turbo4u
01-10-2007, 01:33 AM
How much would you charge to sand down a hood (rusted) and prime it?

95droppedhatch
01-10-2007, 06:19 AM
yea i wouldnt use the same gun to prime and base/clear i acutally have a gun to prime a gun to seal/base and a gun to clear and a couple of extra guns for base so i dont have to interchange color quickly

Bishop
01-10-2007, 06:58 AM
O ok, that's understandable. Ok then, would you guys recommend anything fancy when it comes to getting a primer gun? Or just anything would do?
umm pretty much anything would do as long as it wont break lol. Its all about how much you want to spend.

shavedcivic
01-10-2007, 12:51 PM
hey i do body work, and i'll primer your car. i have all the right equipment from compressors, Gravity fed paint gun. you name it. you supply the paint/primer, and bondo, help out and learn. i'll do it for free.