PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Is it needed?

bigdare23
01-08-2007, 01:39 PM
:???: Quick question :thinking:

Just say I wanted to replace my stock pistons with another factory piston :ninja: (eg. b16 pistons in b18), do I really need to hone and all that other machine work? Can I just remove the factory parts and replace them? If it depends, what factors doing I need to look at? Thanks for you help!

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

bigdare23
01-08-2007, 03:30 PM
anyone?

Annihilation
01-08-2007, 06:50 PM
take piston and rod to machine shop...have them replace them ...get new rings....bearings....hone....

BABY J
01-09-2007, 08:49 AM
If you have got the motor broken down that far, then why not:

1) go for higher compression aftermarket (or OEM --> ITR, etc) slugs?
2) arp bolts
3) replace head gasket
4) mill head

That would be the smart thing to do since u have the block taken apart that far. Why "waste" it on oem parts. The labor will be the same.

99SI
01-09-2007, 10:48 AM
If you want to go back with some factory pistons that's fine. I have run them in both of my motors. I would make sure to go back with factory rings though, factory honda rings are some of the best. As far as the hone goes, if the factory cross hatch is still present and there are no wear spots (shiny places where there is no hone) then I would say go for it. It is always a good idea to have the bottom end balanced at a machine shop when you pull it down like that. Good luck.

2.0civic
01-09-2007, 10:50 AM
If you want to go back with some factory pistons that's fine. I have run them in both of my motors. I would make sure to go back with factory rings though, factory honda rings are some of the best. As far as the hone goes, if the factory cross hatch is still present and there are no wear spots (shiny places where there is no hone) then I would say go for it. It is always a good idea to have the bottom end balanced at a machine shop when you pull it down like that. Good luck.

thats what ive always heard was the crosshatch...but also i agree, if its already pulled, theres no reason not to do it

BABY J
01-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Also D, u need to decide what the END game is for the motor. What do u want it to be at the end of the day, some high(er) compression OEM slugs are a great option. And if the sleeves are crap, hell maybe even a lil overbore. ;)

99SI
01-09-2007, 11:08 AM
J, did you see I'm selling my car? Sad day man sad day.

bigdare23
01-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Okay thanks for the input! I just asked because I wanted to do a lil budget buildup using factory mostly factory parts. So since this would be just a trial effort, I didn't want to go all the way out with this. My goal is a fully build cr-vtec, but you got to walk before you run (fuck crawling lol), so I wanted to play with a ls with b16 (or maybe ctr) pistons and didn't want to take it to a machine shop (extra money). Thanks for the help and reps when I get back home (on the sidekick now).

BABY J
01-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Hey man - make sure you talk to Mike (MSP) and even Mike (99Si). They are 2 of my fav N/A guys and I'd trust my money w/ them on any day of the week. This way you do not double spend, make silly choices, etc. Rule number 1 though to any build:

1) WRITE IT DOWN ON PAPER

When you do this you realize the stupid ideas BEFORE you have spent the money on them.

Vteckidd
01-09-2007, 06:15 PM
no reason to hone if FACTORY CROSS HATCHES ARE PRESENT