PDA

View Full Version : Misc I just dont understand some christians

Hulud
01-08-2007, 10:27 AM
someone please explain this to me

ok i was at a show on saturday (at a christian venue)

one band was on stage and the lead singer said "if your having a good time give me a hell yea"

so some people said "hell yea"

then no more than 2 seconds later the people who work at the venue are on stage talking to them telling them no to say that :thinking:

wtf?

since when is saying HELL a bad thing?

wantboost
01-08-2007, 10:33 AM
what the hell were you doing at a christian venue?

Hulud
01-08-2007, 10:35 AM
what the hell were you doing at a christian venue?
my friends band was playing there and a band i wanted to see was also playing there :doh:

just cause its a christian venue doesnt mean only christian bands play there :goodjob:

2.0civic
01-08-2007, 10:36 AM
what venue??

hypocracy at its finest if i say so myself

Hulud
01-08-2007, 10:37 AM
The 7 Venue (in douglasville)

wantboost
01-08-2007, 10:38 AM
i said that as a joke. On the topic, i dont see what the big deal is, that is why i dont like going to venues like this one.

wantboost
01-08-2007, 10:39 AM
also how many bands would play there, do they censor all the music?

Jaimecbr900
01-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Well, I understand why they would do that if it was a church related function.

Just because the word "fuck" is technically "ok" around a certain circle of friends doesn't mean you can use it ALL the time, does it? Same thing applies here IMO. Just not the right venue. Were there little kids there? Was it like a picnic type atmosphere? Then it may not have been the right venue.

Hulud
01-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Well, I understand why they would do that if it was a church related function.

Just because the word "fuck" is technically "ok" around a certain circle of friends doesn't mean you can use it ALL the time, does it? Same thing applies here IMO. Just not the right venue. Were there little kids there? Was it like a picnic type atmosphere? Then it may not have been the right venue.
no to all the questions at the end

also it was not a CHURCH related function, its a venue for bands run by a bunch of christian people, not a church

Hulud
01-08-2007, 10:42 AM
good point.
but it doesnt apply in this situation

Hulud
01-08-2007, 10:42 AM
everyone there was 18+ (or so they looked)

fuck and hell arent even in the same ballpark imo

wantboost
01-08-2007, 10:43 AM
i deleted it as soon as i posted it due to your reply

Hulud
01-08-2007, 10:44 AM
lol

Jaimecbr900
01-08-2007, 11:10 AM
no to all the questions at the end

also it was not a CHURCH related function, its a venue for bands run by a bunch of christian people, not a church

Look, most "church" people are pretty uptight already. Why try and exarcebate the situation any more by saying something that in that venue is going to be received differently?

I can curse like a sailor.....WHEN the situation arises. I can also communicate w/o saying a single curse word.....again, WHEN the situation(s) call for it. You don't go to church functions and speak like you're at a bar, right? Why not? Because it's not the right place to act like you're in a bar, right?

So if a band signed up to play at an event when they KNEW UP FRONT was being run by uptight CHRISTIAN folks.......why aggravate the situation? If you do aggravate the situation it's YOUR fault. THEY should've known what kind of venue it was an therefore act accordingly.

I'm not saying they can't say whatever they wish to say......just the timing was poor at the very least. That's like closing a prayer with "...Hell yeah!"....is that appropriate?

Certain words have double meanings, depending on the context you use it in. In one it may be very benign, whereas in another it is a curse word. Either way, it sounds to me (although I wasn't there) like it was something that was not meant to be an irritant, although it ended up being that. Again, they knew what venue they were at, so they should've acted and spoke accordingly. You don't have to agree or bow down when everyone else bows, but you should atleast show some degree of respect when you are in someone else's venue IMO.

Hulud
01-08-2007, 11:23 AM
So if a band signed up to play at an event when they KNEW UP FRONT was being run by uptight CHRISTIAN folks.......why aggravate the situation? If you do aggravate the situation it's YOUR fault. THEY should've known what kind of venue it was an therefore act accordingly.
you are wrong there, the band was from Tenn. so they didnt know

Certain words have double meanings, depending on the context you use it in. In one it may be very benign, whereas in another it is a curse word. Either way, it sounds to me (although I wasn't there) like it was something that was not meant to be an irritant, although it ended up being that. Again, they knew what venue they were at, so they should've acted and spoke accordingly. You don't have to agree or bow down when everyone else bows, but you should atleast show some degree of respect when you are in someone else's venue IMO.
again they didnt know its not like it says "hey we are run by christians"
theres no way to know that its a christian org unless you specifically ask the people working there

the only reason i knew it was that (before that night) was because i tried to book a show there, yet they told me no because the bands were anti-religion

Hektik
01-08-2007, 12:07 PM

very well said...
+1

not trying to argue here but i dont see how if it was run by a religious organization how they wouludnt know unless they were just not paying anyattention at all. i mean usually hen u go to any church event theres always signs and stuff...

Killer
01-08-2007, 12:50 PM
someone please explain this to me

ok i was at a show on saturday (at a christian venue)

one band was on stage and the lead singer said "if your having a good time give me a hell yea"

so some people said "hell yea"

then no more than 2 seconds later the people who work at the venue are on stage talking to them telling them no to say that :thinking:

wtf?

since when is saying HELL a bad thing?

eh... it's not that saying hell is a bad word, but when ur repping jesus u don't shout out "HELL YEAH"... it's like instead of saying i love jesus ur saying i love satan...

and hell can be used in different context to be considered a curse word...

like bitch... when used at a dog show is proper..

used in an every day sentence.. curse word...

(i didn't read the rest of this thread so if i'm a repost sorry)

ISAtlanta300
01-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Why couldn't they have said "Heaven yay" !!! lol

candy2082002
01-08-2007, 03:31 PM

theres no way to know that its a christian org unless you specifically ask the people working there

the only reason i knew it was that (before that night) was because i tried to book a show there, yet they told me no because the bands were anti-religion

I see what your saying, but when you book a venue...why would you not know what kind of place it was if the place was run by Christains. I have had friends play there.....all the bands I have ever known to play there were Christian. So thats odd that the Venue wouldnt give them certain guidelines...their fault...they should have just let them finish the show then told them since they didnt know lol.

Jaimecbr900
01-08-2007, 06:10 PM

I understand, but just as you KNEW when you tried to book....they probably told them something to come to the same conclusion you did. They had to "book" too, right? So odds are that if they made that message clear to you upon booking, they would likely make that clear to them as well.

I wasn't there, so I can only speculate. But odds are more likely than not that they did receive a similar message. Even if they didn't, they should not be upset unless the powers that be were rude about how they told him to not do that again.

4dmin
01-08-2007, 06:18 PM
why don't people just do house shows anymore? ... wtf is up w/ all of the churches venues these days... i find it kinda funny and dumb all at the same time that hXc still tries to make such ties to the church :thinking:

i'm moving to norway the underground scene here is fucking gay! :2up:

Hulud
01-08-2007, 09:23 PM
very well said...
+1

not trying to argue here but i dont see how if it was run by a religious organization how they wouludnt know unless they were just not paying anyattention at all. i mean usually hen u go to any church event theres always signs and stuff...
what dont you people understand, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A CHURCH

its just run by a bunch of christians, there is nothing, no crosses no dead jesuses no nothing

Hulud
01-08-2007, 09:25 PM
I see what your saying, but when you book a venue...why would you not know what kind of place it was if the place was run by Christains. I have had friends play there.....all the bands I have ever known to play there were Christian. So thats odd that the Venue wouldnt give them certain guidelines...their fault...they should have just let them finish the show then told them since they didnt know lol.
exactly +1

the band im referring to is not from Atl so they wouldnt know from hearsay

Hulud
01-08-2007, 09:26 PM
I understand, but just as you KNEW when you tried to book....they probably told them something to come to the same conclusion you did. They had to "book" too, right? So odds are that if they made that message clear to you upon booking, they would likely make that clear to them as well.
the band doesnt book the show

a promoter does

so its either the venues or promoters fault that there was a slip in communication

Hulud
01-08-2007, 09:34 PM
why don't people just do house shows anymore?
liability

... wtf is up w/ all of the churches venues these days...
just another outlet to revive a declining attendance

i find it kinda funny and dumb all at the same time that hXc still tries to make such ties to the church :thinking:
its the other way around....
refer to my last comment

i'm moving to norway the underground scene here is fucking gay! :2up:
im game

4dmin
01-09-2007, 07:45 AM
liability

just another outlet to revive a declining attendance

its the other way around....
refer to my last comment

im game

i read that one of Norways largest export is BLACK METAL lol:guitar:

everyone knows about black metal.

Jaimecbr900
01-09-2007, 10:03 AM
the band doesnt book the show

a promoter does

so its either the venues or promoters fault that there was a slip in communication

Dude, I have no clue why you're so hell bent (yes, pun intended :D ) on blaming everyone but the band itself.

Ultimately, the responsability of ANY show falls back on the shoulders of the performer. They look bad when everyone else screws up, they also look good when they don't. Either way, they are the front people and where the buck stops.

So if something about the venue was not communicated to them, it certainly was when they screwed up. What's the big deal? Did the organizers run up to him and yell and scream and throw him off stage? If not, then what's the big deal? Maybe they went up there and said, "Hey, maybe you weren't told but this is a CHRISTIAN venue so could you please not talk like that?...." I know if I was a performer and suddenly someone rushed up on stage to get on to me about something that I TRULY knew nothing about.....I'd definetly have a few choice words for them.....like....ummm.....why the HELL didn't you tell me???? ;)

So far I haven't heard you place any blame onto the person who said what was said. If they hadn't said anything, all this would be moot and everyone would be happy, right? The performance wasn't at Phillips Arena with Black roadie shirts for sale and lots of lights and macabre stuff, right? So prudence and common sense should tell you that part of your job or your staff's job or someone's job is to KNOW a little something about the venue you are playing. Would Cool and the Gang go play at a KKK rally? Would Tim McGraw perform at the BET awards? Would Gilberto Santa Rosa sing at a Barmitzvah? Why? Because that's not their music's venue. How do they know that???? BECAUSE THEY PROBABLY ASKED AND USED COMMON SENSE.

Maybe the organizers should waited until they finished their set before saying something, but it is THEIR show afterall. If they didn't do it maliciously or been very ugly about it, I don't see what the big deal is?

Hulud
01-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Dude, I have no clue why you're so hell bent (yes, pun intended :D ) on blaming everyone but the band itself.

Ultimately, the responsability of ANY show falls back on the shoulders of the performer. They look bad when everyone else screws up, they also look good when they don't. Either way, they are the front people and where the buck stops.
nah thats with the people behind the scenes that are supposed to let the band know whats goin on

So if something about the venue was not communicated to them, it certainly was when they screwed up. What's the big deal? Did the organizers run up to him and yell and scream and throw him off stage? If not, then what's the big deal? Maybe they went up there and said, "Hey, maybe you weren't told but this is a CHRISTIAN venue so could you please not talk like that?...." I know if I was a performer and suddenly someone rushed up on stage to get on to me about something that I TRULY knew nothing about.....I'd definetly have a few choice words for them.....like....ummm.....why the HELL didn't you tell me???? ;)
which they did politely

So far I haven't heard you place any blame onto the person who said what was said. If they hadn't said anything, all this would be moot and everyone would be happy, right? The performance wasn't at Phillips Arena with Black roadie shirts for sale and lots of lights and macabre stuff, right? So prudence and common sense should tell you that part of your job or your staff's job or someone's job is to KNOW a little something about the venue you are playing. Would Cool and the Gang go play at a KKK rally? Would Tim McGraw perform at the BET awards? Would Gilberto Santa Rosa sing at a Barmitzvah? Why? Because that's not their music's venue. How do they know that???? BECAUSE THEY PROBABLY ASKED AND USED COMMON SENSE.
most people dont know its a christian venue, damn i really am sounding like a broken record here

Maybe the organizers should waited until they finished their set before saying something, but it is THEIR show afterall. If they didn't do it maliciously or been very ugly about it, I don't see what the big deal is?
you dont make sense in your closing sentence. throughout the whole essay you wrote about it being the bands show and they are the performers, yet in your closing you say that its the venues show, so which is it? :thinking:

apparently you dont know how shows are run (in the underground smaller shows). the band didnt ask them to play there, the venue did. so being that i would follow common courtesy if i were the venue and be like "hey, we arent like normal venues, we are run by religious folks so we like to have a good clean time, yaddy yaddy yadda". so why should the band be blamed when they were asked to come play this show (they were not on tour) by the venue? they dont have the responsibility to ask EVERY single venue of their special rules etc, thats up to the venue employees and show promoter.

but my whole point of this thread (since we seemed to get off topic as usual) is why did they get so bent outta shape over the word hell? :thinking:

Hulud
01-10-2007, 08:48 PM
i read that one of Norways largest export is BLACK METAL lol:guitar:

everyone knows about black metal.
sweet! norway and sweden have some crazy motherfuckin metal

Jaimecbr900
01-10-2007, 09:28 PM
nah thats with the people behind the scenes that are supposed to let the band know whats goin on

most people dont know its a christian venue, damn i really am sounding like a broken record here

I don't know about you, but if I played in a band I'd like to know stuff if I'm going to be the one out on stage. So it's a don't ask don't tell type of thing? Why is it everyone else's responsability to tell and make things clear, yet they have no responsability themselves?

you dont make sense in your closing sentence. throughout the whole essay you wrote about it being the bands show and they are the performers, yet in your closing you say that its the venues show, so which is it? :thinking:

You obviously are reading what you want to read in my post. Please point out where I said it was the "band's" show. I said it was their name, their reputation, their music.....so why wouldn't they be a little more proactive in finding out what kind of venue they're playing? A simple, "hey guys, are we in front of bunch naked women or are we in front of bunch of nuns?..." Is that too hard? Is that not COMMON SENSE? Why is the venue at fault for allegedly NOT telling, but they are cool for NOT asking???? It's a two way street, but you seem HELL bent on blaming only one side. Why is that? :thinking:

but my whole point of this thread (since we seemed to get off topic as usual) is why did they get so bent outta shape over the word hell? :thinking:

I answered that in my very first post. There's a time and a place for curse words. At a venue run by CHRISTIAN FOLKS is not the proper time. Just like it's not the time to have group sex, snort coke, or have an abortion with a coat hanger. It's just NOT COOL at that time. If you are at Hog's Breath Saloon in Daytona Beach with 1000 bikers, well then it's perfectly acceptable in that crowd.

What's the big deal anyway? Answer that. It's like you coming to MY house and tracking mud all over my carpet. I don't like that, so why should I LET you do it? I'm going to ask you NOT to do that. I may not have told you ALL the things that I like and dislike. It may even be ok at YOUR house, but not mine. Why would you be upset about that?

Hulud
01-10-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't know about you, but if I played in a band I'd like to know stuff if I'm going to be the one out on stage. So it's a don't ask don't tell type of thing? Why is it everyone else's responsability to tell and make things clear, yet they have no responsability themselves?
ill say it again, since you seemed to overlook my last post, they were contacted by the venue, not vice versa, so the venue or the promoter should let them know since they wanted the band there bad enough to contact them to get a show

You obviously are reading what you want to read in my post. Please point out where I said it was the "band's" show. I said it was their name, their reputation, their music.....so why wouldn't they be a little more proactive in finding out what kind of venue they're playing?
hers what you said that led to what i thought
"Ultimately, the responsability of ANY show falls back on the shoulders of the performer" that makes it seem like your sayin that if the whole responsibility is on the band wouldnt it be their show? :thinking:

A simple, "hey guys, are we in front of bunch naked women or are we in front of bunch of nuns?..." Is that too hard? Is that not COMMON SENSE? Why is the venue at fault for allegedly NOT telling, but they are cool for NOT asking???? It's a two way street, but you seem HELL bent on blaming only one side. Why is that? :thinking:
ill say it again, the venue contacted them, so you would think they would just let them know, out of courtesy

What's the big deal anyway? Answer that. It's like you coming to MY house and tracking mud all over my carpet. I don't like that, so why should I LET you do it? I'm going to ask you NOT to do that. I may not have told you ALL the things that I like and dislike. It may even be ok at YOUR house, but not mine. Why would you be upset about that?
the mud concept doesnt work in this situation

this is like you inviting me to a party at your place, but you have special rules at your house say like a dress code or no alcohol or something.

wouldnt you let your guests know of any special rules that are out of the norm for a "party atmosphere"?

Jaimecbr900
01-10-2007, 10:01 PM
hers what you said that led to what i thought
"Ultimately, the responsability of ANY show falls back on the shoulders of the performer" that makes it seem like your sayin that if the whole responsibility is on the band wouldnt it be their show? :thinking:

I meant as in the band will end up looking bad or good since they're the front men. It may not be "their" show, but they are the ones that will end up looking good or bad.

this is like you inviting me to a party at your place, but you have special rules at your house say like a dress code or no alcohol or something.

wouldnt you let your guests know of any special rules that are out of the norm for a "party atmosphere"?

The point is not that the rules exist or not, it's that when told someone get's upset. Why would they?

So why would you get mad at ME for having a no mud in the house rule? Even if you didn't know before hand.

It really isn't that big a deal. That's my point.

Hulud
01-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I meant as in the band will end up looking bad or good since they're the front men. It may not be "their" show, but they are the ones that will end up looking good or bad.
o ok gotcha

The point is not that the rules exist or not, it's that when told someone get's upset. Why would they?
no one got upset, just confused
when i asked the bassist about it he said "christians are just so touchy, i mean dont get me wrong im christian too. but whats wrong with the word hell?"

Crazy Asian
01-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Bunch of mommy and daddy kids their so the use of hell would be offensive to the parents. Basically just imagine a bunch of kids screaming hell ya in class. Ya. Blah.

StupidBikerBoy
01-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Hypocracy happens in all religions, not just christianity.

Sort of like claiming your religion is peaceful, then slaughtering people.:rolleyes: