PDA

View Full Version : Accident on Sugarloaf Pkwy. near Arena (1 dead)

Nittanys1
06-13-2005, 01:41 PM
So i was going to get a bite to eat at Wendy's and as i get in the parking lot i notice that there was a fire truck at the intersection. As i get out of the car i notice that there was 4 helicopters flying around above me. I go in and eat and this lady comes in telling the 30+ ppl in there about the accident....

A teenager was in the turn lane and had an SUV in front of her/him. The SUV turned and then the car (red acura cl) turns too....the get T-boned by an 18 wheeler and travel about 300+ feet down the road. The teen in the pass side dies and the other one was still in the car when i walked over to see what was going on.

According to the lady who came in Wendy's that is 18 (possibly 19) teens killed since school has been let out......FUCKING CRAZY....and to top it off my sister just got her license about 2 months ago...if that......

AtifSajid
06-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Wow!

mocha latte cupcake
06-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Man! thats crazy! kids today need to be careful!

LaurenK
06-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Happened right in front of Paul and I's work...within walking distance...Terrible. I swear, Duluth has had all kinds of drama lately...

Nittanys1
06-13-2005, 01:55 PM
damn ya'll work that close.....behind moe's?

the truck was kinda on top of the car....it crushed the car....that semi had to be going way too fast....luckily it didnt have any load, it was a semi that hauls bulldozers

A.P. Photography
06-13-2005, 02:02 PM
You can't say that the 18 wheeler was going way to fast because you have no evidence or saw it to base that statement on. I mean if the kid did not even look to see what was coming and just went then I hate to say it, that is their own fault. It is sad the passenger had to pay the price for the drivers stupidity.

IndianStig
06-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Damn, that coulda been me. I wonder if the kid went to my school?

LaurenK
06-13-2005, 02:05 PM
damn ya'll work that close.....behind moe's?

the truck was kinda on top of the car....it crushed the car....that semi had to be going way too fast....luckily it didnt have any load, it was a semi that hauls bulldozers
Yes, we work right behind Moe's in those Brick office buildings. That person died, so he will be facing some serious charges, huh?

IndianStig
06-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Man thats very sad. I just realized i saw a video today on how teens need to slowdown and stop over estimating there skills, I brushed it off and was like this is a waste of time. I guess i'll reconsider that.

TEG DRIVER
06-13-2005, 02:12 PM
down the street from where i live there was a semi that swirved into the oncoming lane and fell over on this woman's van and killed her. and then there was this guy who used to go to my shool and this was last year, but he was going about 80 in a sharp turn and lost control and he died and i think the girl that was with him was seriously hurt, but still alive. it really sucked cause he was my friend and i talked to him every day.

A.P. Photography
06-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Yes, we work right behind Moe's in those Brick office buildings. That person died, so he will be facing some serious charges, huh?
More than likely not, if the kid turned in front of him then there was nothing he could do to stop the truck in time.

Nittanys1
06-13-2005, 02:43 PM
You can't say that the 18 wheeler was going way to fast because you have no evidence or saw it to base that statement on.

yeah i didnt see it but the guy being interviewed did...and he said that the truck was going really fast....i do agree that it was the teens fault but then again the truck didnt need to be going that fast.....

Brett
06-13-2005, 03:05 PM
i do agree that it was the teens fault but then again the truck didnt need to be going that fast.....

Yet you keep going on about how fast he was going but you dont have any clue as to how fast or slow this 18 wheeler was going. If you didnt see it, you cant say until the police verify what the deal is

Nittanys1
06-13-2005, 03:09 PM
your right but thats was what the consensus was from everyone who had seen it, he may not have been going fast at all.....

Jaimecbr900
06-13-2005, 03:10 PM
It's sad is what it is.

Is it me or are there more teen fatalities than there used to be? It seems like there is one everyday now. Back when we were 16 it seems as if it was more rare than it is now.

Or is it just me?

LaurenK
06-13-2005, 03:17 PM
So, their have been some ladies talking around here, and the story is...that the teen was in a car, but the person driving was an adult. I don't know, but that's what they are saying.

Nittanys1
06-13-2005, 03:23 PM
they get it cleaned up yet? i havent been back there since.....it could very well be an adult drive im just posting what i heard from everyone around the area...

LaurenK
06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
I have no clue...Everything I've heard is hear say...I haven't been up there, but I will in about thirty minutes, so we will see.

collins
06-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Man thats very sad. I just realized i saw a video today on how teens need to slowdown and stop over estimating there skills, I brushed it off and was like this is a waste of time. I guess i'll reconsider that.

you just might be the smartest young'un on the boards.

that really sucks about the dude that died. sad shit to hear.

ruah_23
06-13-2005, 03:42 PM
is it the one near Gwinnett civic center??

Kristi
06-13-2005, 03:45 PM
that is terrible. a guy died up the road from my house last night - people need to start driving smarter

LaurenK
06-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Yes. Right next to it...intersection at Meadow Church and Sugarloaf Pkwy. At the Walgreens and the Kroger.

ruah_23
06-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Yes. Right next to it...intersection at Meadow Church and Sugarloaf Pkwy. At the Walgreens and the Kroger.

I saw it...but not sure what happen
here's more info:
http://gwinnett.no-ip.org/Feed2/stream.050613.51.asx
(http://gwinnett.no-ip.org/Feed2/stream.050612.95.asx)

Nittanys1
06-13-2005, 05:21 PM
update: 13yr old son died as mom went through the intersection. said that the truck was going around 45mph and that the truck driver was fine.

eViLMunkey
06-13-2005, 05:25 PM
they need to have manditory drivers ed. to get your license like they do in Mass and a bunch of other states.... or raise the age to 18...

Z33_kid
06-13-2005, 06:01 PM
thats real bad an sad juss like Jaimecbr900 said to many kills from a teen an car an at the end they blame it for racing or w/e an make more stupid laws

Brett
06-13-2005, 10:04 PM
It's sad is what it is.

Is it me or are there more teen fatalities than there used to be? It seems like there is one everyday now. Back when we were 16 it seems as if it was more rare than it is now.

Or is it just me?

Nah man, Its real.... Kids today live faster then we did as kids. We had our heads on a bit better and didnt think we couldnt die in a car. etc. Kids these days think they are above getting killed and they fuck off more on the roads and think less then we did. Its a different time man then when you and I where kids at that age

ProjectWidow
06-13-2005, 10:14 PM
damn that is sad to hear! already so many deaths within like 3 weeks of school ending. teens these days do think they are invincible.

Nittanys1
06-13-2005, 10:15 PM
^^^ I Agree!!!! ^^^

thinkfast®
06-13-2005, 11:33 PM
I work at Safeco right on the corner of Satellite/Sugarloaf, I was comin back from my girls house @ SCC and had just missed it going there!!

crazy shit man.

SLOWR/T
06-14-2005, 12:23 AM
schools need to step up and start a drivers ed that is manditory when you start high school. schools have big enough parking lots that you can safely learn how to drive. you should have to log so many hour under a trained teacher and have he/she sign off on your hours. just cause you pass some writen test doesnt mean you can drive. with cars you learn by "hands on". i have been driving since about 11 (we have a ball field at the end of our road) it was like a treat for us (me and my brother). if we were good and kept our grades up we could drive some on the weekend when no one was down there. we didnt know it would help us in the long run it was fun to us.

FDslider
06-14-2005, 01:36 AM
This is what happened to me, and I hope it helps a lot of people realize the truth:

Before I got my license, I completed a driver's ed course, attended a couple of driving safety schools, and all that good shit. I got my license and my POS honda and thought I was invincible. I racked up tickets upon tickets and took on the full responsibility of each and every one. I still drove like a wreckless fool ( I guess I was the typical ricer!?! ).

I got a 95 240SX, got many tickets in it, dropped in my SR 2 years ago ( I was 17 then ), and still raised hell on the streets. No matter how many tickets I got (more than 20, no joke), I never learned my lesson. Hell, I was even banned from the Turner Field drift session FOR DRIFTING in the adjacent parking lots!!!

Then, the scariest thing I have ever experienced happened. The day before Christmas Eve (12/23/04) I was told to head down to Sugarloaf Pkwy to pick up my paycheck. No big deal, or so I thought. As I was getting on the on ramp to get onto 985-S up here in Flowery Branch/ Spout Springs, a 61 yr. old man in a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee was headed my way. He was on Oxycodone and refused to take a blood alcohol test after the accident. But anyways, he was coming down the off ramp, going over 80 mph, never touched the brakes, and struck me right in my door. I had every right of way you can think of and I had been driving extra careful that day. I was knocked completely out and did not wake up until I was getting a cat scan. I am incredibly lucky to be alive today and still be able to walk. My back will be fucked up for the rest of my life probably, and I am crying as I type these very words just thinking about that day.

But, here is the good part. That was the only thing that could make my driving improve, and it has. I drive slower than your damn grandma now.

And guess what, today (6/14/05) I go to court in Flowery Branch at 6:30 PM to see what that MOTHER FUCKER gets sentenced. He did not show up to the last court dates, so he already has a warrant out for his arrest. Hopefully he gets what he deserves, because you do not want to know how many times my mom has stopped me from going to his house with my Tech 9 and taking matters into my own hands.

Well, that is my story and I hope some people learned something from this. I will post up the sentence from court later tonight or tomorrow for you guys.

Remember, anything can happen to anyone at any time, so BE CAREFUL!!!

-Brandon Reed

A.P. Photography
06-14-2005, 08:08 AM
Well I saw the pics last night from the accident, Nittany what you saw was the front end of the truck (hood) had flipped onto the car. Not the actual truck on the car.

A lot of you are talking about kids need drivers ed and I agree they do. I guess when us older guys (Breet, QD, Jaime, myself) were growing up we had more respect for the cars and how to handle them. Now days you have a parents handing over keys to a car with out taking the time to teach them or even worry about how they will drive or act. The sad part here is that it was the mother that was driving and did this, which is really even sadder.

It seems that latley people have forgotten how to drive and think they are Mario Andretti or Danica Patrick and are invincible. :(

LeAnna
06-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Well this is from Gwinnett Daily Post...

13-year-old dies in collision

Police and fire officials investigate an accident on Sugarloaf Parkway near Meadow Church Road in Duluth.
06/14/2005

By Andria Simmons
Staff Writer
[email protected]

DULUTH — A tractor-trailer slammed into a passenger car Monday in front of the Arena at Gwinnett Center, killing a 13-year-old Duluth boy and severely injuring his mother.
The 13-year-old, whose name was not immediately released, was the 37th motor vehicle fatality in Gwinnett this year. At this time last year, there were 36 fatalities, according to the Gwinnett County Medical Examiner’s Office.
A newer model, four-door Acura was traveling west on Sugarloaf Parkway when the driver attempted to turn left onto Meadow Church Road, authorities said. A tractor-trailer headed east on Sugarloaf struck the car on the passenger side.
The tractor-trailer shoved the Acura about 200 feet before coming to rest partially on top of the car in a grass median, said Sgt. Wayne Thaxton, supervisor of the Gwinnett County Police Department Accident Investigation Unit.
The 13-year-old died at the scene. His mother, Manjula Naik, 50, of Duluth was transported to Gwinnett Medical Center with serious injuries.
Investigators are still trying to determine who was at fault, Thaxton said.
Anthony Wood, the owner of A.L. Grading Contractors of Suwanee, said his truck driver, Billy Poss, was shaken but OK. The tractor-trailer is used to haul heavy equipment for the company, Wood said.
Wood said his driver wasn’t to blame for the accident.
“People don’t understand these things don’t just stop on a dime,” Wood said, gesturing toward the damaged tractor-trailer. “You can’t just pull out in front of them.”
Matt Davis, 17, of Duluth was stopped at the intersection waiting for the traffic light to change when he saw the collision. Davis said the driver of the Acura was behind a sport utility vehicle that turned left onto Meadow Church Road. The Acura followed it, apparently unable to see the tractor-trailer that was barreling down on it from behind the larger SUV, Davis said.
The Acura had a green light, but drivers were supposed to yield to oncoming traffic, Davis said.
“The truck came flying down and rammed her,” Davis said. “It just ran right over that car. I’ve seen an accident but never this bad.”
Curious onlookers, several with small children in tow, lingered on both sides of the street or stopped their cars at adjacent parking lots to peer at the wreckage. Some witnesses said the intersection is dangerous because it is on a hill, making it difficult to see oncoming cars.

Teen killed in Sunday wreck
The 13-year-old was the seventh teen to die in an automobile accident this year and the second teenage wreck victim this week.
On Sunday morning, an 18-year-old Grayson driver was killed when his Toyota Camry was struck by a 2004 GMC Yukon at the intersection of New Hope Road and Chandler Road. Investigators said the Yukon had the right of way, and the Toyota turned left in front of it.
The driver, Geoffrey M. Whitehead, died shortly after being transported to Gwinnett Medical Center. Two passengers in the Toyota, 17-year-old Jonathan Ruge and his 16-year-old brother were hospitalized with serious injuries.
Jonathan was released from Gwinnett Medical Center on Monday, said Officer Darren Moloney, Gwinnett police spokesman.
Whitehead was a member of Boy Scout Troop 525 in Loganville and attended South Gwinnett Baptist Church. A funeral will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the church.

Jaimecbr900
06-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Well, I thought that the teenage crash trend wasn't a figment. It just seems to me that it keeps getting worse and worse. Although this accident we're talking about ended up not being a teen's fault, it did fatally injure a teen.

As has been said here several times, there is a handful of us old farts that are still hanging around the scene. Some of you younger folks need to realize that you're really not indestructible at all. As a matter of fact you're not really fully cooked until you get to be around 25-30 atleast. Don't get me wrong, even us old farts thought when WE were 18-25 that we knew everything, we could act a fool as much as we wanted, and try everything atleast once. Well, some of us did and dodged some serious bullets too. Don't you young folks wonder why it is that some of us only act a fool at a track or sanctioned events or very very seldom? There is a reason for that.

I'll get off my soapbox for now, but I will say this to the young folks around here that love to take unnecessary risks:

I buried one of my best friends when I was a Freshman in College. He wasn't even racing or anything. He fell asleep at the wheel and hit a pole dead center. Died instantly. I'm willing to bet that none of you that brag all the time about racing at 150 MPH on 85 or drift in neighborhoods or drive like maniacs in traffic with all your buddies in the back seat have ever actually FELT the weight of a CASKET . Have you? I HAVE . If I live to be 100, I will never ever forget how heavy and how hard a casket really is. 6 of us carried our friend Mike about 100 yards from the church to his grave site behind the church. That little bit of distance was one of the most agonizing walks I've ever made in my life.

Burying a friend is one of the most painful things in life. It will scar you forever.

Think about that next time you're doing 150+ down a public hwy. You may just scar someone forever too.

Nittanys1
06-14-2005, 09:09 AM
yeah i knew that it was the hood that had flipped up on it.....I really dont like that intersection at all...I make that turn atleast three times a week and im sure a few of you make it even more. Really sad what took place and I hope the mother will pull through

Shawna
06-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Here's my thing I know yall are saying that the KIDS today need to take Drivers Ed and we need to raise the age and they need to alow down BUT its not always the kids that are driving causing the accidents....

It'll be 2 yrs on November 19 that I lost a really good friend from High School. He was driving a 28ft box truck at the time and it was raining pretty good that day. Greg wasn't even going the speed limit that day b/c of the bad weather. A semi, a 40+ man, in the oncoming lane was traveling 10/15 mph over the already 55 mph speed limit. Needless to say the semi lost control and as he tried to overcorrect it it was too late. He took out the drivers side of the truck that my friend, Greg, was driving. The engine dropped out of the bay and the pedals ended up on the drivers seat. My friend had a hinge fracture to the base of his skull and had severe head injurys. The whole left side of him was gone. The semi driver had nothing wrong with him and was released to go home. My friend lived for an hour after the accident and during that time they tested him for drugs and assumed that it was his fault b/c he was a 20y/o male. In reality the only thing in my friends system was a caffefine from a Dr.Pepper. The police still claim that Greg did something wrong b/c the semi driver was an experienced driver that could "handle" his vehicle. I guess my point is that it's not always teenagers faults and that yes Drivers Ed should be mandetory and we shsould raise the age BUT think about the people that have been driving for 20+ years. Most of the time they think that b/c they have been driving for such a long time that they can "handle" their vehicle...

A.P. Photography
06-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Shawna what us old guys :tongue: are saying is that most of the recent deaths have been because of inexpierence and a feeling of invincibility that younger drives have. Now I have met some young people that can drive, and I mean DRIVE but they also know when to be cautious. I mean what business does a 14 yo have stealing a car and killing himself and almost killing his friends.

I agree, some older drivers are just as bad if not worse than the younger ones with this being a perfect example.

Shawna
06-14-2005, 12:25 PM
oo I know Matt and I agree with what yall have said completely. It's just that it's not always todays youth that can't drive.

Jaimecbr900
06-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Listen folks, noone was trying to step on anyone's toes here about who can or can't drive. Unfortunately, the data doesn't lie. As a young adult, the #1 risk factor for DEATH IS a car accident. There is a reason for that. One of those reasons is clearly inexperience. There's no way around it. Just like with many other things in life, experience does count and can only be gotten one way. One of the things experience helps you to do is realize consequences.

As a 16 yr old, I had a nasty accident myself. My pride and joy Camaro ended up 11 inches from touching headlight to tailight. I literally wrapped it around a telephone pole. Why? Speeding and inexperience. My fault totally. Could've died. Learned lesson though. My point is that at that age I truly felt I was in total control of the car at all times. Why? Cause I didn't know any better. My parents told me what I'm telling yall now and I didn't care to listen. Why? Cause I THOUGHT I knew it all then too.

If you take out drugs and alcohol OUT of the mix, I'm willing to bet that if crash data was compared side-by-side against teen/young driver's data (which the majority of the time is NOT alcohol related thankgoodness) you could easily see that the ratio of # of drivers to accidents is substantially greater to the teen/young side.

Young drivers, and old for that matter, need to realize that you're not indestructible. Like I mentioned earlier, you could easily change someone's life forever. That life may just as likely be yours.

Shawna
06-14-2005, 01:15 PM
:goodjob:

Young drivers, and old for that matter, need to realize that you're not indestructible. Like I mentioned earlier, you could easily change someone's life forever. That life may just as likely be yours.

Couldn't have said it better!!! And I totaly agree with you I just thought Id add my 2 cent with everything.

Buford®
06-14-2005, 07:04 PM
It wasn't my CL-S, just incase someone was wondering that.

FDslider
06-14-2005, 09:36 PM
well, I just got back from court, and the fucker that hit me got a plea bargain and pleaded guilty to wreckless driving and running a red light. I am extremely disappointed in the court system because it is ALWAYS fucking against me and no matter how much evidence we had, the fucker was not going to get a DUI charge!!!! I feel like shit and I am going to work on the god damn 240 now..........