PDA

View Full Version : General Chat *Ultimate Sleeper Mod* - 3" Electronic Dump Valve - Pics & Video!

ct9a gsr
03-11-2005, 01:45 AM
I finally got my electronic dump valve idea fabricated and installed. Here's a few pics of it as I explain:

http://students.kennesaw.edu/~crw7727/edump/cutout1.jpg

http://students.kennesaw.edu/~crw7727/edump/cutout2.jpg

http://students.kennesaw.edu/~crw7727/edump/cutout3.jpg

The silver piping on the right side is a 3" elbow pipe fabricated to bolt onto the stock o2 housing. It's welded to a 3" Y-pipe which is welded to taper down to the stock downpipe at one end, and on the other end is connected to an electronic butterfly valve which is powered by a torque motor. Wires are run from the motor through the engine bay and into the car itself, where a 2-way switch is placed and hidden.

Open vs Closed Results:

The turbo lag is decreased dramatically. I will do some testing on exact rpm#'s later on when I find a safe road to do so. Boost comes on hard and strong, almost immediately once it starts to spool... unlike before where you can feel the boost gradually generate. I go through the first 3 gears extremely fast compared to before. It's a night and day difference between open and closed. When closed, the car drives and SOUNDS just like it did before, completely stock. No exhaust leak, no sign or hint of the electronic dump valve.

Downsides... it may be far FAR too loud for some of you people when open... but then again, having the option to close it deletes this problem. If you idle at one spot for over a minute, the fumes might start to engulf you. The idle sometimes likes to dip low and almost die as well.

I am dyno'n this Saturday and I'll have results of open vs closed for everyone on Sunday posted. Here is a video of I made of the comparison (small video):

Video Demonstration (http://students.kennesaw.edu/~crw7727/edump/edumpvalve.wmv)
(left click to stream it, right click and save as to save the video)

*Special thanks to E-E Motorsports for their fabrication, welding, and all their help!*

speedminded
03-11-2005, 07:18 AM
it's the german verson of a JC Whitney cutout! :D Seems like you could construct one out of a throttle body and stepper motor pretty easily. Is it wired to detect WOT or just an on-off switch?

ct9a gsr
03-11-2005, 10:50 AM
it's the german verson of a JC Whitney cutout! :D Seems like you could construct one out of a throttle body and stepper motor pretty easily. Is it wired to detect WOT or just an on-off switch?

Wired to a switch to gain the most benefits from it... the ones that are TPS or boost actuated still have a delay in openning and closing and don't give the same benefits of turbo spool compared to having it open from the start. :)

soul
03-11-2005, 12:20 PM
I likey

speedminded
03-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Would it be better to put a turn down on the open side of the butterfly? Maybe just a mirror image of the other side, same flange and everything, but with a turndown to direct the heat towards the ground and back instead of straight back...just an idea because I have run open pipes on my 300zx and integra and it heats up whatever is in the way and melts the undercoating and paint.

mehulwrx
03-12-2005, 10:41 AM
get me one-a-dem, get me one-a-dem
can you close it while in gear and at higher rpms or in neutral and idle???????????

speedminded
03-12-2005, 11:22 AM
get me one-a-dem, get me one-a-dem
can you close it while in gear and at higher rpms or in neutral and idle???????????unless you're running a turbo you need the backpressure or you're gonna lose power and torque...louder honda does't always equal faster honda (or any other N/A). On my car running out the cat and resonator only it has sooo much more bottom end and rolling into the throttle will break the front loose even with an LSD but but i can't figure out if it loses it at the top or not...I need to dyno it with the exhaust on and off to get the real story.

To answer your question, he said it was wired to a switch for manual activation...nothing automatic about it.

mehulwrx
03-12-2005, 01:58 PM
^^^^^i would never put that on my honda i all ready have one, its not electronic though, hell it didnt even cost me a penny, it was made by that evil friend called rust.
i was really just complimeting him on such a good idea but i would really want one if i had a WRX

SwiftGTiRacer
03-13-2005, 05:27 AM
My dad said they used these when he was younger. he said he used a choke to open his. I thought about throwing on on my Swift but i'm still not to sure about it. Nice work though!

Swifty

iloveboost
03-13-2005, 09:24 AM
The other great sleeper mod you have: Dealer tag!

speedminded
03-13-2005, 12:59 PM
My dad said they used these when he was younger. he said he used a choke to open his. I thought about throwing on on my Swift but i'm still not to sure about it. Nice work though!

Swiftyexactly, JC whitney sells a pot metal version that leaks for around $10...it's made so you can put a choke cable on it and then you just run it up into your interior somewhere.

SwiftGTiRacer
03-14-2005, 05:56 AM
how benifetial are these? is it a noticable difference?

Swifty

speedminded
03-14-2005, 06:45 AM
how benifetial are these? is it a noticable difference?

Swiftymore exhaust flow is just about always better with a forced induction engine, you don't need the back pressure, just need to push that air out but it's how loud can you stand it. Even with normally aspirated engines it will rev quicker and may gain bottem end power but you tend to lose topend.

4dmin
03-14-2005, 10:14 AM
^ very interesting i would like to see how that would do on my dub, is there any real difference than running a 3" dp w/ race cat and exhaust?

ct9a gsr
03-14-2005, 04:08 PM
I would also be interested in seeing the differences between my setup and a 3" turbo-back exhaust w/ race cat or not cat... maybe I'll get an Evo buddy of mine to let me switch out exhausts during dyno testing... but then I'd have to pay for twice the dyno time, rawr...

Only thing I've noticed from the traditional 3" TBE setups is my turbo spools a bit faster... as far as anything else, I dunno unless I'm on the dyno to get solid results.

4dmin
03-14-2005, 04:50 PM
I would also be interested in seeing the differences between my setup and a 3" turbo-back exhaust w/ race cat or not cat... maybe I'll get an Evo buddy of mine to let me switch out exhausts during dyno testing... but then I'd have to pay for twice the dyno time, rawr...

Only thing I've noticed from the traditional 3" TBE setups is my turbo spools a bit faster... as far as anything else, I dunno unless I'm on the dyno to get solid results.let me know if you do that i may pay for your dyno time to do a write up on it.

SwiftGTiRacer
03-15-2005, 05:08 AM
i'm also very curious to hear about the results of this. if it tends to be a better choice for turbo motors i think i'll be adding one on my car. Keep us posted if u do the dyno test.

Swifty