PDA

View Full Version : What saftey changes do you think need to be made in motorsports?

Tracy
01-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Post it here. I would appreciate it if we coud keep the name calling and crap talking out of this one. I put motorsports because I think there are lots of motorsports safety discussions to be had....not only in the case of drifting.

Tracy
01-05-2007, 11:23 AM
So, I guess it's safe to assume that after 4 views, 1 hour and no posts...that no one really wants to talk about safety in motorsports...they only really wanted to sling mud.

That's what I figured. :)

Sammich
01-05-2007, 11:26 AM
eliminate all corvettes...

dazn
01-05-2007, 12:07 PM
well, it might be easier to be specific about one type of motorsports because each one calls for different safety standards. :2cents:

Tracy
01-05-2007, 12:24 PM
well, it might be easier to be specific about one type of motorsports because each one calls for different safety standards. :2cents:

Agreed. So when you post state which motorsport you are speeking of.

Nemesis
01-05-2007, 12:46 PM
There was already a thread posted about this.

Tracy
01-05-2007, 12:48 PM
There was already a thread posted about this.

really? Where?

SpeedDreamz
01-07-2007, 06:14 PM
I think that cars should be inspected closer for chassis flaws. Just get the tech to take a look under the car to make sure everything looks in place and tight. I think alot of accidents where people nail the wall were chassis failures from faulty suspension.

Nemesis
01-07-2007, 09:21 PM
really? Where?

http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?t=91771

Big Baller
01-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Ok lets take drifting for example...since its going that direction at some point anyway.

Lets break it down into the different classes

Pro--Formula D

Semi Pro---Nopi Series

Amateur---Drift Fury...etc....

Ok

Formula D... The Pros the Big Dogs.
This is wheel to wheel action, the cage standards should be higher, a single door bar is not enough, Fire systems should be mandatory, everything on the car should be safety wired. Ok now the big one STAY INSIDE THE CAR, it is absolutely ridiculous that sanctioning bodies let this go on. Don't kid you're self speeds are high in the pro ranks big cages, nomex, and fire systems. HNRs mandatory

Semi Pro
roll bars minimum, if its tandem then door bar minimum, fire extinguisher minimum, long sleeves and approved helmets mandatory, tandem nomex suits required, harness and harness bar required in tandem events, no harnesses without harness bars.

Amateur, no tandem without the same equipment required for semi pro, more stringent licensing process, I personally think there should be schools much like nasa's hpde programs(Ill post more about this later)

All levels should require a serious tech inspections

I'm sure Ill think of more but I'm working on the subaru so Ill post more when I'm done with that

Big Baller
01-07-2007, 09:50 PM
http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?t=91771

That threads about event saftey, this thread is more about overall safety, like the sport as a whole.

Doppelgänger
01-08-2007, 12:06 AM
Post it here. I would appreciate it if we coud keep the name calling and crap talking out of this one. I put motorsports because I think there are lots of motorsports safety discussions to be had....not only in the case of drifting.

Ok lets take drifting for example...since its going that direction at some point anyway.

Lets break it down into the different classes

Pro--Formula D

Semi Pro---Nopi Series

Amateur---Drift Fury...etc....

Ok

Formula D... The Pros the Big Dogs.
This is wheel to wheel action, the cage standards should be higher, a single door bar is not enough, Fire systems should be mandatory, everything on the car should be safety wired. Ok now the big one STAY INSIDE THE CAR, it is absolutely ridiculous that sanctioning bodies let this go on. Don't kid you're self speeds are high in the pro ranks big cages, nomex, and fire systems. HNRs mandatory

Semi Pro
roll bars minimum, if its tandem then door bar minimum, fire extinguisher minimum, long sleeves and approved helmets mandatory, tandem nomex suits required, harness and harness bar required in tandem events, no harnesses without harness bars.

Amateur, no tandem without the same equipment required for semi pro, more stringent licensing process, I personally think there should be schools much like nasa's hpde programs(Ill post more about this later)

All levels should require a serious tech inspections

I'm sure Ill think of more but I'm working on the subaru so Ill post more when I'm done with that

And everyone in drifting needs a HANS device. :rolleyes:

I'm just curious to how long you have been drifting and how long you have been involved in the drift scene......

Big Baller
01-08-2007, 01:34 AM
And everyone in drifting needs a HANS device. :rolleyes:

I'm just curious to how long you have been drifting and how long you have been involved in the drift scene......

It never ceases to amaze me what a dumb fuck you are Mike, Ill be out at the driftfury events you can find out all about my drifting then.

No everyone in drifting doesn't need a Hans....only the ones that are good enough to reach decent speeds, you won't have to worry about that.

There are places other motorsports need improvement but we all know that's not what this thread is about, but most of those organizations take steps every year to insure the safety of their competitors, unlike drifting.

Big Baller
01-08-2007, 01:45 AM
Mike, exactly what do you think is so special about drifting that makes it immune to the need for head and neck restraint systems. Why is it that drifters are so special that its ok to hang out the window of a car.

Please explain it to me obviously my "newness" to drifting isn't allowing me to see it, maybe its my years of road racing that's clouding my views.

Doppelgänger
01-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Mike, exactly what do you think is so special about drifting that makes it immune to the need for head and neck restraint systems. Why is it that drifters are so special that its ok to hang out the window of a car.

Please explain it to me obviously my "newness" to drifting isn't allowing me to see it, maybe its my years of road racing that's clouding my views.

Arrrrgh. Im simply having a problem putting your s/n with a face/name.... my memory is fucking horrable. You could be someone i talk to at every event and i wouldnt even know it :(

I dont think drifting is immuse to having better safety requirements, not nearly. But a HANS device makes turning your hear to look at where you are going and in transitions would make things rather difficult. Back when i worked for Downing Atlanta, i tried one one (since i was making the damn things and was curious) and it really limited my side to side visability. Now, if they've made improve ments to this, i see how they could work. But, like you mentioned, grassroots/amateur level drifting wouldnt need this at all. I would even be hesitant on saying for larger series because a lot of the cars arent hitting walls at head on angle, but more with the rears of the car. Yes, there are exceptions, but speeds are just not up there (yet).

As for other safety rules specifically to drifting, it all depends on the conditions of the track (speeds/walls/barriers/). I think every car would benefit from a minimum of a 4-point bar and properly equipped harness... simply being anchored in the seat better makes for safer, more controlled drivers. As cars/drivers prepare for much larger series (FD/D1GP) then i completely see the need for full cages with door bars, harnesses, fuel cells and cars pretty much built to any other major automotive competition.

Now when it comes to showoff events, thats a different ballgame by far. If theres one car out there.. or 2 that are spaced out...then hanging yourself out the car is your own damn risk. I myself have never done more then throw a hand up, but have never done "rodeo" or hanging out the car or opening the door. But like i said, its your own ass, you take on the possable consequences. Tracy, this is not directed at you, just the stuff in general....because we all know you do this stuff at the NOPI demos :)

But all in all, im not really disagreeing with you on car requirements at different levels..... just the HANS not really needing to be a essential part of drifting.

As for the rest of motorsports, who the hell knows. I saw someone say something about the WRC events and people getting hit and the events moving on. I'm sure thats a big part of other countries understanding the idea of standing in road + cars hauling ass = your own stupid demise. But Americans in general is so incredably lazy/stupid... it would just be another way to make some money because "they didnt understand the risk of standing on a racetrack".

NASCAR... i dont think they could get any safer as with F1 and many other organizations that have been around for decades and have seen just about every bad thing that could happen. Then again, there are accidents that are unavoidable and cant have been prevented.

Big Baller
01-08-2007, 08:27 AM
You have met me at Dan and Tracys shop, and Tracy knows that I think its fucking retarded that they are hanging out of the cars.

There are other Head and Neck restraint systems that don't limit motion anywhere near as much as the hans, they also aren't as safe as the HANS. Someone is going to get killed in D1 because they don't have the right gear, then things will change.

Matt

man
01-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Last I heard the Champ car series is going back to a standing start...

I think standing starts should be eliminated from open-wheel racing.

But that's just me.

Big Baller
01-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Last I heard the Champ car series is going back to a standing start...

I think standing starts should be eliminated from open-wheel racing.

But that's just me.

Standing starts are very dangerous in an open wheel car.

Doppelgänger
01-08-2007, 10:20 AM
You have met me at Dan and Tracys shop, and Tracy knows that I think its fucking retarded that they are hanging out of the cars.

There are other Head and Neck restraint systems that don't limit motion anywhere near as much as the hans, they also aren't as safe as the HANS. Someone is going to get killed in D1 because they don't have the right gear, then things will change.

Matt

The Castration...errr Hutchensons Device... that thing is a joke.

I just think that if a well built cage a proper seat/harness doesnt save you... then you were not gonna be much better with a hans... in drifting. I know they have worked wonders in many other forms of motorsport. But because the way the car are traveling and the speeds being lower then 100mph, a hans isnt gonna do much from saving your life...but i can see it helping prevent whiplash, but then we are back to accident in general, they are not very common in drifting, at least severe ones. Did you see the FD event from seattle? It was one of the "worst" here in the US at an event... and it really wasnt that bad.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=csfcbQCAh2U

You might want to turn your speakers down... horrable audio quality.

In my opinion, i dont think a hans or similar devide would have made any difference as meany of the crashes are similar in nature. But, i am not ruleling out that something can happen.

Bet you ass though, if i myself were racing on any kind of roadcoarse, i'd be wearing one though.

Doppelgänger
01-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Standing starts are very dangerous in an open wheel car. Yes they are, but then again any start of a race where people are going bat shit crazy for positions is dangerous...even in something as slow as spec-miata :lmfao: I cringe everytime i see a F1 race start :no:

man
01-08-2007, 11:27 AM
I cringe everytime i see a F1 race start :no:

It absolutely amazes me that they still use standing starts in F1.

On the topic of head/neck restraints on drift cars, I think it is a good idea. However, using a competition level HANS may be a tad bit excessive (due to the nature of the sport, not the safety concern) and as the sport grows it wouldn't be impossible to develop a slightly less restrictive device.

Big Baller
01-08-2007, 12:49 PM
a donut would be better than nothing

Tracy
01-08-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm glad there is some civilized convo going on in here! I'm very proud of you all :)

Big Baller
01-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Fuck you

Tracy
01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Fuck you
I expect nothing less from my old pal :cheers:

Marty
01-09-2007, 09:17 AM
One thing I'd like to change in local drifting, and I think I will for DG, is clothes. Whenever I did track days or driving schools, it was long pants, and long sleeve shirts or driving suits. I know it gets hot in Atlanta, but I did it, IN TEXAS.... I know I'm guilty of wearing a short sleeve shirt, but if you look at every event picture of me, I'm wearing pants. The same pants to be exact, I'm superstitious. I REALLY don't like seeing drivers without shirts at all... unless it's Tracy.

Big Baller
01-09-2007, 09:41 AM
One thing I'd like to change in local drifting, and I think I will for DG, is clothes. Whenever I did track days or driving schools, it was long pants, and long sleeve shirts or driving suits. I know it gets hot in Atlanta, but I did it, IN TEXAS.... I know I'm guilty of wearing a short sleeve shirt, but if you look at every event picture of me, I'm wearing pants. The same pants to be exact, I'm superstitious. I REALLY don't like seeing drivers without shirts at all... unless it's Tracy.

I agree completely, there is no reason everybody can't be in long sleeves.