PDA

View Full Version : General Chat --How you pay to play:::

puregroove
01-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Okay guys, I felt like this topic fell under this section...

Some of you have some really nice setups for your ride. I'm talkin' mainly about the big balla, go fast setups--not so much minor audio and looks modifications. Some of you have done a lot more than just swapped the motor and have spent beyond 2-3K+ on the motor alone. :yes:

I have fought myself so hard and prevented myself from taking out a loan to pay for a monster all-motor or boost setup. My car has been a long time comin'. Everything done to it has been over the past 5 years that I've had it. A lot of you get your rides to where you want in less than a quarter.

Some recent examples of big ballin' setups: 2JZ-240, evos, built all-motor/boosted hondas (or any other car, at that)... I know there are others, but that's just a start. :bump:

What I am curious about: Are you guys just takin' out loans for all this? ...and going madly in debt? Your payments must be insane! Or do you just work real hard and save every penny? 'Cause I know everyone has bills and can't put all their money into their rides. Oh and if your parents pay for your car in any way, shape, or form, this thread does not apply to you. Do you guys just make a lot of money? --work 2-3 jobs? :thinking: :???:

This is going to be interesting. Feel free to make smart remarks, but I'd like to keep this on a rather serious note::: :goodjob: I'm sure I forgot to mention some things but this is it for now.

Maybe you guys can give some of the youngens some good info:::

Ltdnismorace
01-05-2007, 09:00 AM
tax returns?????

puregroove
01-05-2007, 09:02 AM
yeah, but that only comes once a year...good point, though.

2.0civic
01-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Ive often wondered the same

Ltdnismorace
01-05-2007, 09:10 AM
I know personally my engine isn't nearly as built as I'd like, but what has been done has been done in stages. I generally buy something every month or so and when I have enough to do a install day, I do. When I did my turbo stuff I bought the turbo one month, FMIC and BOV the next, Injectors and fuel pump next, engine management last. I waited until I had the cash to have it tuned then I installed and had tuned.

puregroove
01-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Ive often wondered the same :yes:

done in stages same here, but wish it didn't take so long :(

thinkfast®
01-05-2007, 09:21 AM
I work homey, and a little coke money never hurt nobody ;)

on the real talk tho, its not hard if you budget your shit ea month.. I got motor work on the '64 out the way last month, that was $2k, and probly ~ $2k on hydraulics/batteries and metal this month; thats apart from bills/car pymt and rent...

Its not how much you got but what you spend it on

Extra Made
01-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Very tempted to do my Ka-t build on credit, but would def. go piece by piece route.

Wurm
01-12-2007, 09:30 PM
I stay at home to save money penny pinch the best i can

TeeJay
01-13-2007, 08:10 AM
I know personally my engine isn't nearly as built as I'd like, but what has been done has been done in stages. I generally buy something every month or so and when I have enough to do a install day, I do. When I did my turbo stuff I bought the turbo one month, FMIC and BOV the next, Injectors and fuel pump next, engine management last. I waited until I had the cash to have it tuned then I installed and had tuned.
i used to do just that back when i was in the "scene", but as i grew older and matured, i realized its not worth it at all, especially the way cops are these days, you cant really go out and do anything, except take it to the track once every 2 or 3 months, so i started thinking "whats the point". so then i got on my grown man shit and started focusing my funds on more important things like nice furniture/stuff for my place, nice clothes, paying off my debt, etc. maybe later on, after i get my degree and get settled ill get another "import" project and work on it, but until then, im fine driving my stock 06 accord sedan :yes:

TeeJay
01-13-2007, 08:14 AM
i have a buddy who is the loan typa guy, he has had more cars than i can count on my hands in the last 5 yrs, and he has taken out a loan for each car and just hooked it all to hell. for example, he now has a 93 civic hatch with b16, supercharger, custom s2000 red paint, volk wheels, all the interior goodies, etc. and he doesnt even drive it. he says hes too afraid of somebody fucking with it or it getting wrecked so he leaves it in the garage. wtf's the point in going in debt for that shit?? and now hes about to sell that car and get a new TSX and take out another loan to dump into it. pointless IMO

puregroove
01-13-2007, 08:44 AM
^^^True, but you gotta have toys, man. :yes:

TeeJay
01-13-2007, 08:46 AM
^^^True, but you gotta have toys, man. :yes:
I HEAR YA MAN, BUT IF YOURE GONNA GO INTO THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN DEBT, AT LEAST USE THE TOYS, YA KNOW??

VegetaRules
01-13-2007, 11:18 AM
This is a interesting question, one that I've always wondered myself. See I figured most guys are in car clubs, & those guys have good-sized discounts on parts. Now me, I plan to start modding the car, but I use my Taxes to propel me towards having one free check per month.

That free check should take care of at least one mod per month, or Down payments on mods( I.E the roughly $700-ish you need to put down at Sprayglo to have them paint your car).

Now my car club leader works at a collision shop, so body work,& paint can be done by him there. I'm going to Sprayglo because I wanna get something...interesting. lol

Now the best advise I can offer is this. Leaarn your car, then goto websites that specifically deal with your particular car. That way you can see what others have done, & find out how much it cost them, & if they can help/hook you up.

Like I have a 00 Celica, so I was sent to a all celica site, got a hookup with powdercoater, headporter,& very detailed info on boosting the car safely, & good estimate on pricing. That allowed me to better formulate a strategy on what/how I wanted my car to look/perform.....Vegeta

StupidBikerBoy
01-13-2007, 06:24 PM
A few years ago I could blow major cash on my toys, but now that we have a baby it has slowed down a lot.

I have been building my RB26 for 6 months now and still have about 2 months before I can finish it.

CSquared
01-13-2007, 06:41 PM
I work my ass off for all my shit... which is why my car is only bpu after three long fucking years. :bump:

{X}Echo419
01-14-2007, 12:41 AM
work hard and INVEST!!! after you have "money to spare" should you start sinking it into your car. :2cents:

David88vert
01-14-2007, 07:13 AM
I would never suggest taking out a loan to hook up your car.

What you have to do is:
1) Figure out how how long you are going to take to complete your car (i.e - timeframe)
2) Figure out how much cash you can spend on the car during that amount of time (allow for problems in life also)
3) Prioritize the work (i.e, engine, body, audio, etc - order of work0
4) keep working ideas and numbers until they lineup
5) follow through with your plans (very important)

Remember: Don't try to do more than you can afford. In other words, do plan to build a 8 sec drag car, if you only have $2K total available over 2 years.

I have 4 toys right now, and even with what I make, I have a budget for each of them - and a time frame to complete it in.

puregroove
01-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks for your responses, guys. :goodjob:

2.3 Evo 8
01-14-2007, 09:32 AM
I get paid well.

IntegraXTR
01-14-2007, 12:41 PM
I work full time and hustle on the side. Also I have a kid too so that kinda hurts your pocket but with the remaining "petty cash" I have left over I use it to mod the car. Also having good connections help out a long way.

Crazy Asian
01-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Hmm...Parts on a Prelude are kind of hard to find since not a lot of aftermarket parts out. Just enough but not to my taste. I mean Im getting a new paint job got a new header got new engine componets since..I get paid...somehow, but I always wanted a STi or a Tl Type S. Now Im just gonna keep modfying my Prelude since every fucking Atl owner now has a STi and TL...welll everyone has that too.

Lucky DAWG
01-14-2007, 07:13 PM
I HEAR YA MAN, BUT IF YOURE GONNA GO INTO THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN DEBT, AT LEAST USE THE TOYS, YA KNOW??

i agree

if you're not seriously into drifting or going to be thinking about doing it professionally and have the money ON HAND to be doing this kind of shit.

you're only digging yourself a whole by putting all of it on credit

i'd rather just better the aesthetics to my car and have just a tad bit more power to make me happy, i dont have to prove the size of my wang and beat every other car out there.

and i fully realize i dont have the pocket, balls, or skill to race my car on a track so thats not an option either

so the way i see it is, only spend your extra cash that you have on you on your car and get your bills paid, so keep it simple unless your bankin :goodjob:

EJGuy
01-15-2007, 04:44 PM
I work a the Sprayglo in Lagrange. That has helped me with some cosmetic issues. I've painted 3 cars. I've done some trading. Networking has been the biggest factor in getting good prices on stuff. Honda specific web sites have helped with info.

GTScoob
01-15-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm a pretty broke college kid so I just scour the subaru boards for used parts and keep a pretty open plan of what I want to do to the car. I've had suspension in mind so I picked up some springs 6 weeks ago for dirt cheap, same for struts, getting some camber plates sometime soon too for a good price.

Tank
01-15-2007, 05:40 PM
2 words

iraq

kuwait

ive had multiple visits to each not to mention uncle sam pays me very well

Sibious
01-15-2007, 06:06 PM
^^thanks for protecting our country. i work but all money goes to bills for the car and other bills. hope to mod once my tax returns come in:)

green91
01-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Ive spend thousands over the last couple of years and dont have much to show for it lol. But id say the #1 way to have a nice car is to not get in a hurry about it. Ive built all of my cars right but ive done it piece by piece as i could afford it or was working on that section. I also have a tendency to change my mind about what i want so im glad ive never built a car on credit and be paying for something that im no longer happy wiht 4 months down the road.

oh yea, ebay FTW!

turbosx©
01-15-2007, 06:56 PM
i started making a price list of all the stuff I want the car to have.then I proritize it from what is more important to least important.So then i save up the cash i need for the stages i set for myself.Working at ups helps alot to(lots of discounts)