PDA

View Full Version : Misc anyone a computer technician?

ksinao
01-04-2007, 01:13 PM
so i got wireless internet installed on one of my computers, from another computer that already had internet. geek squad came out and did it for me. the problem is my internet is constantly fucking up. it will stay connected for around 5-10 minuted and then disconnect. then it will come back on in 5-10 minutes. it might not seem that big, but i can't do anything where i need to be online for a long time. so i called the geek squad today and since it has been over 30 days the warrenty is up, and they refuse to help me. and to get a service call to fix it it will cost 159.99. which i am not paying. anyone have any suggestions?

LiL PaKi
01-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Who is your internet/wireless provider?

How far is your computer from the router?

ksinao
01-04-2007, 01:24 PM
comcast
maybe 20 feet (upstairs to downstairs)

LiL PaKi
01-04-2007, 01:28 PM
it will stay connected for around 5-10 minuted and then disconnect. then it will come back on in 5-10 minutes.

comcast
maybe 20 feet (upstairs to downstairs)

I have comcast too.. and I have the same problem.. the router is in the basement and my laptop is on the 2nd floor...

call comcast and tell them... it use to act up on all the computers but after comcast came out now only mine fucks up we need to call them again..

2.0civic
01-04-2007, 01:30 PM
i had charter but if i was on wireless downloading music, it would do the same thing

ksinao
01-04-2007, 01:31 PM
i didnt want to call because i dont know if it is legal or not to only pay for one internet coming into the house and having it hooked up to 3 seperate computers. and i dont want to have to start paying for 2 extra computers

LiL PaKi
01-04-2007, 01:32 PM
i didnt want to call because i dont know if it is legal or not to only pay for one internet coming into the house and having it hooked up to 3 seperate computers. and i dont want to have to start paying for 2 extra computers

call them and ask them before you give your account number so they can't tract you...

LiL PaKi
01-04-2007, 01:34 PM
wait u have wireless right? it's legal..

ksinao
01-04-2007, 01:38 PM
ok, so im not going to suddenly pay for 2 more computers that are hooked up to internet if they come to check it out?

unkn0wndj
01-04-2007, 06:49 PM
What type of Router.. Netgear is sucky IMO just buy a WRT54G linksys or better and you'll be set.

ksinao
01-04-2007, 09:13 PM
linksys wireless

TheDeege
01-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah man you dont have to pay for internet on each computer. If they come out and you still have problems let me know. I work for Firedog (The gayest name ever) which is the same as geek squad but its with Circuit City. Then i might be able to help you.

ksinao
01-04-2007, 09:35 PM
they aren't coming, it would cost 159.99 and im not paying that. i'm just going to call comcast

TheDeege
01-04-2007, 09:57 PM
well yeah if comcast cant help let me know. But i think it should work after they come out.

seksehowy
01-05-2007, 01:27 AM
home networking is absofuckinglutely free. but for them to come and hook it up for u and renttheir router to you and etc they charge u a certain $$ a month.
and if its wireless..... check if there's a microwave around the router. (some frequency fucks up the wireless router).
I suggest using a linksys wrt54 router. It's very user friendly and covers a wide ranges.
but...im not sure if ur router got it or not.
But is it only your computer that gets cut off or all the computer getting cut off at once like that?

seksehowy
01-05-2007, 01:29 AM
Yeah man you dont have to pay for internet on each computer. If they come out and you still have problems let me know. I work for Firedog (The gayest name ever) which is the same as geek squad but its with Circuit City. Then i might be able to help you.

o.O do u need an A+ certificate to join their squad?... im interested in a job like that geek fags or the firedog or something.

oops sry for the double post.

ksinao
01-05-2007, 01:37 AM
and if its wireless..... check if there's a microwave around the router. (some frequency fucks up the wireless router).
I suggest using a linksys wrt54 router. It's very user friendly and covers a wide ranges.
but...im not sure if ur router got it or not.
But is it only your computer that gets cut off or all the computer getting cut off at once like that?

there is a microwave in the house, but its hardly ever used.
im not sure what model the linksys is, but it's wireless.
and no, i know at least one other computer is getting the same times mine does. im not sure about the other computer in the house because it's rarely used.

seksehowy
01-05-2007, 01:43 AM
i c.... then
heres what i could think of right now at 2 am.
1. time alive kept by ur router is short.
2. ur internet line isnt very secure ( ie damaged or something)
3. comcast sucks. lol.sry. cable is great if theres only small amount of ppl in ur area has it. when theres a lot of ppl crowding up the line, cable gets slow and gay. my friend's 8MB connection got slowed down to a 3MB connection bc of so many ppl in his neighborhood on cable.
let me see in the morning gnite.

ksinao
01-05-2007, 01:49 AM
i c.... then
heres what i could think of right now at 2 am.
3. comcast sucks. lol.sry. cable is great if theres only small amount of ppl in ur area has it. when theres a lot of ppl crowding up the line, cable gets slow and gay. my friend's 8MB connection got slowed down to a 3MB connection bc of so many ppl in his neighborhood on cable.
let me see in the morning gnite.

thanks. on the last one though, its not that it's slow. it's that it periodically shuts off.

Dudeman
01-05-2007, 02:29 AM
whats the signal strength youre getting? and about cable sucking, very true. to seksehowy i dunno if anyone answered your question about the job but im about to get promoted to firedog myself and you dont have to have certs but itll definately help because its very competitive (at least at the circuit city i work at) to get the position.

seksehowy
01-05-2007, 02:46 AM
whats the signal strength youre getting? and about cable sucking, very true. to seksehowy i dunno if anyone answered your question about the job but im about to get promoted to firedog myself and you dont have to have certs but itll definately help because its very competitive (at least at the circuit city i work at) to get the position.

yea. im thinking about getting an A+ certificate since i applied for those job a bunch of times and no reply :'(. I started building computers since sophomore years highschool till now.... and im pretty i'd do a better job than most of those geeksquad, but it feels like u gotta have connections to get those kind of jobs or something :\.

ksinao
01-05-2007, 10:54 AM
whats the signal strength youre getting?

thats the thing, my signal strenth is always 'excellent'. even when i cant get online my signal strenth still says excellent

Killer
01-05-2007, 11:13 AM
router/modem

sirkus
01-05-2007, 12:45 PM
My old laptop had an option that if the computer sat for 5-10 mins it would go into power save mode... and shut off a couple things, wireless being one of them. Check the settings on the router, is it only with the wireless?

ksinao
01-05-2007, 12:50 PM
nah, its not that, because it will shut off while im on the computer. and no, its with every computer in the house, i just happen to be on wireless.

tony
01-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I do DSL for Bellsouth and the only conclusion I could come to is there is something wrong with the internet connection coming from Comcast. I've had customers with the same problem you are having and every time it was our service and nothing to do with the customers equipment.

seksehowy
01-05-2007, 01:02 PM
yea comcast is gettin shittier and shittier, it should be their responsibiity to come to your house and check the line for free, but their gay ass always want to charge u something for their mistake. im also guessing it could be your connection to comcast. i prefer dsl and its not even that expensive.

Dudeman
01-05-2007, 01:04 PM
yea what ive gathered is its a comcast problem. seksehowy the only way i got my job was my connections, with all honesty the best way other than having connections is to bug the hell outta them about getting a job so they start to remember you.

TheDeege
01-05-2007, 01:54 PM
o.O do u need an A+ certificate to join their squad?... im interested in a job like that geek fags or the firedog or something.

oops sry for the double post.

No just apply. They pay for you to get an MCP cetificate. I just got mine on Wed.

TheDeege
01-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Dudeman, which store do you work for? Im up at 3411.