PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild gone wrong

toonz
12-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Ok I rebuilt my gsr(new piston rings, head job, gasket,etc,etc,etc) dropped it in etc etc etc. Start the motor up ran fine for about a day without taking it over 5500 rpm's with no exhaust just off the header(no smoke whatsoever). 2nd day took it to about 8000 rpm's (into vtec) and ran fine for about 2hrs LOL with no problems then it started blowing blueish white smoke (meanig oil right) so I checked the compression it's about 180psi (between 135-270psi) in each cylinder meaning it's not the rings so then I adjusted the valves and everything came out to be ok (remember my ecu has no rev limiter and I probably took it further im not really sure) I checked the spark plugs and cylinder's 1 and 3 spark plugs are wet with oil so this means that probably my valve seals in those cylinders probably came up and need to be put into place or either redone correct? Thanks for all info:yes:

Annihilation
12-31-2006, 02:07 PM
shoulda atleast broke in the rings before reving so high...they need to be seated right......dumbass :)

so is it 180 in each or is it between 135-270?
post up correct psi in each cylinder for a proper diagnosis

toonz
12-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Damn son LOL not so rough on me LOL just checked it to confirm it's at 180 to 210 psi it fluctuates in each cylinder

toonz
12-31-2006, 02:21 PM
135 psi meaning that was the lowest psi it should be at and 270 psi being the highest my compression is at 180 psi Thanks

green91
12-31-2006, 02:43 PM
did you compression test after it had been running? i typically look for no more than 15-20psi difference between all 4 cyls

Formally...
01-01-2007, 07:18 PM
First, it is fine to run a motor that high right after a rebuild ONLY if the rebuild was done right. Almost all of our motors are broke in on the dyno. Iloveboost LS motor was making 490whp and reving to 9k with only 2hrs of run time. I have had a few motors (one we bought and one I built) that had bad oil control rings. Both motors showed good compression (remember oil in chamber will increase the compression) and both motors made good power. All we did was change the rings and that fixed the problem. Did you get the block honed and what rings did you use? May just need a new set of rings.

toonz
01-01-2007, 07:44 PM
OEM rings from NAPA with no bore just a hone. It's burning oil like crazy so should I just change the rings and the valve seals just to be safe?

green91
01-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Was it burning oil prior to the build? You may wanna measure your bore roundness and taper. What kind of hone did you use? Dingle-berry style or tripod?

toonz
01-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Tripod and before I rebuilt the motor it was blowing smoke but only in high revs

green91
01-02-2007, 07:25 AM
oh the tripod style hone is EASY to fubar bores up with. id definately measure it while youve got it back apart.

Vteckidd
01-02-2007, 11:05 AM
most likely 1 of 2 things is going on:

1) like green 91 said, if you honed it to long with the tripod, it may be WAY out of round and egg shaped now, meaning, you cant just throw rings in it. it has to be OVERBORED.

2) NAPA rings, Hastings rings, JE rings SUCK. they have low tension oil control rings an your motor will smoke. ALWAYS USE OEM or CP or WISECO.

I would rering it, as thats the cheapes thing to do at this point

toonz
01-02-2007, 01:50 PM
I honed each cylinder for about 30 seconds each the walls were good meaning no lines going up and down so I just thought to hone a little just to be safe but I didn't hone it that much to mess it up. I't was running fine until I took it down a street and reved it to like 8000 after that it started smoking but when I drove it the first day it was alright no smoke at all and I was driving around off the header no exhaust

Vteckidd
01-02-2007, 01:53 PM
30 sec is too long IMO, you could have overbored it by doing it that long.

it is sposed to be for 5-10 sec, just to scuff the cylinder walls up.

IMO honing is unnecessary for this reason . if you can still see the factory cross hatches then there is no reason to hone at all.

i had a buddy that did the same thing to his B16 block that you did, and it was almost .5mm over bore on cylinders 2 and 4 , and 1 and 3 were out of round 11 thousandths.

Vteckidd
01-02-2007, 01:54 PM
your hand and a drill bit are not a "precision" machine to do honing with LOL.

oh well, throw some OEM rings in it and see what happens. if it smokes after that, you need an overbore.

Vteckidd
01-02-2007, 01:55 PM
I rebuilt 99si's motor, he hada 180k mile GSR block. I rebuilt it with PR3 pistons, OEM honda rings.

I never bored or honed it. Factory cross hatches were stil present, motor is fresh an still doesnt smoke.

toonz
01-02-2007, 01:55 PM
It might be the rings? Because when I check the spark plugs there's oil on the tip plus the top of the piston has oil on it too but when I saw the oil on top of the piston I just thought it was the seal. So if it was the valve seal's what are the symptoms of it going bad?

Vteckidd
01-02-2007, 01:56 PM
its not valve stem seals. the ony way its vavle stem seals is if you totally forgot to put them on at all.

oil on top of the piston is BLOW BY. which means its a ring issue, or your piston to wall clearance is so far out of whack from the honing that oil is getting by the piston skirt.

toonz
01-02-2007, 01:59 PM
:thinking: hmmmm:thinking: Thanks:goodjob:

toonz
01-02-2007, 02:12 PM
The rings are from NAPA so you say there known to be bad for honda's any way so it could just be the rings right?

Vteckidd
01-02-2007, 02:16 PM
yes, i mean, right now, you can spend $100 on Honda rings, $65 for a headgasket an if it fixes your problem, GREAT.

if not, then the entire motor has to come out, machine work, overbore pistons, rings, etc. which is more expensive, do the rings now an see if it fixes it

toonz
01-02-2007, 02:17 PM
:goodjob: Thanks Alot:goodjob: for the info

Z U L8R
01-03-2007, 11:13 PM
i don't think you clocked the rings the same or it would have smoked from the very get go....something stupid but....are you running thinner weight oil?

toonz
01-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Nope I got it under control now but thanks it's the rings I just came back from taking the head off and the rings on just the 3rd cylinder are bad Thanks to all of you that helped out:goodjob: