PDA

View Full Version : My horn quit working.... what could be the problem.

allmotoronly
12-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Ok so I just got this car three days ago and the horn quit working. When I first got it, the horn was a little weak sounding. Its a 97 GSR with 80k miles. Also today I removed some aftermarket fog lights (which I know have absolutely nothing to do with the horn), and I may have pulled a wire loose on the horn, but Im pretty positive I did not. I remember a friend of mine had a 97 integra and his horn quit working too. I use the horn a lot while driving and tonight when I tried to use it, it did not work. It's too dark for me to look at it right now, but if anybody has had this happen to them before, please let me know what the problem was, so I dont have to spend an hour checking fuses and wires, and removing the horn and testing it... When I press the button, I hear a click in the dash. other than that, no other sound is produced.

If you dont have any useful input, don't waste your time posting anything. I am not stupid or car illiterate, I just have never had a problem with my horn, and I would like to know some possibilities. real input will receive positive rep.

Mangrum
12-31-2006, 10:29 AM
when my horn quit working in my old truck.. i just had wire pinched in the steering collumn.. but then again my truck was POS. so might not be yours. try adjusting your steering wheel up and down and see if its works anywhere.

3kgtdrvr
12-31-2006, 11:35 AM
check the voltage of the wires going to the horn. im sure there is a resistance spec the horn itself is supposed to have but i have no idea what is it, but if ur not getting voltage to the horn then theres something wrong in the wiring to the horn, so trace through the wiring to find the problem, and if u are then id say its ur horn itself

Z U L8R
01-03-2007, 11:22 PM
you hear the horn relay click which means the problem is either the wire going to the horn or the horn itself. mitsu's usually have the horn bolted to the chassis which acts as the ground, and one wire running from the underhood fuse/relay block to the horn itself supplying the 12volts.

you want an easy test....

take a wire and put it where the wire plugs into the horn, and take the other end of the wire and put it on the battery positive post.....if the horn blows, then the horn's not the problem, there's a loose connection or break in the wire coming off the relay going to the horn.

thepolecat
01-03-2007, 11:25 PM
mine quit too on my civic- I know its not a fuse so I'll be interrested to see where it goes. I dont want to pull the bumper but that would be where you start.

Z U L8R
01-04-2007, 06:46 AM
no need to pull the bumper

thepolecat
01-04-2007, 10:11 AM
uhhh- yes there is on mine- the horn sits right behind a peice of plastic I cant get around

Z U L8R
01-11-2007, 05:08 PM
then you should buy better tools

speedminded
01-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Ok so I just got this car three days ago and the horn quit working. When I first got it, the horn was a little weak sounding. Its a 97 GSR with 80k miles. Also today I removed some aftermarket fog lights (which I know have absolutely nothing to do with the horn), and I may have pulled a wire loose on the horn, but Im pretty positive I did not. I remember a friend of mine had a 97 integra and his horn quit working too. I use the horn a lot while driving and tonight when I tried to use it, it did not work. It's too dark for me to look at it right now, but if anybody has had this happen to them before, please let me know what the problem was, so I dont have to spend an hour checking fuses and wires, and removing the horn and testing it... When I press the button, I hear a click in the dash. other than that, no other sound is produced.

If you dont have any useful input, don't waste your time posting anything. I am not stupid or car illiterate, I just have never had a problem with my horn, and I would like to know some possibilities. real input will receive positive rep.i'm sure whoever installed the fogs ran the ground from the horn...

Wurm
01-12-2007, 09:48 AM
horns should be removed from all cars

SLow_POke
01-12-2007, 07:14 PM
from hte the online diagnosis i say you blew the motor.
rebuild/replace motor= horn works perfect:goodjob:

gobraves00
01-12-2007, 09:21 PM
screw the horn, just use finger