PDA

View Full Version : VR4

Krazykouki
12-27-2006, 01:12 PM
I am about to get a 1993 VR4 3000GT

what are some common problems and how much HP can the stock motor take?

Also what should I look for as far as problems when modding...he said he replaced some axle's that strip out with some heavy duty ones and also replaced some leaky turbo gaskets..

I am new to Mitsu so any informantion would be greatly appreciated, thanks

-Chris

ATCLen
12-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Whats up!!

Welcome , Check this place out .They love the 3000GT VR4's

http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_index.asp

I don't have a 3000, I'm into Mitsubishi's also. I have a Conquest TSI
or a Mitsh. Starion ESI-R. I've bought some stuff from them and they had a display at a show one time. Very nice place

Len

Lucky DAWG
12-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Stock Turbo is weak on the VR4
very well known to break after a short amount of time.

car is heavy

and maintenance will be a huge hassle, a lot of things break on these cars
nice car though, just something to consider

Krazykouki
12-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Stock Turbo is weak on the VR4
very well known to break after a short amount of time.

car is heavy

and maintenance will be a huge hassle, a lot of things break on these cars
nice car though, just something to consider

yea, thanks for the advice...

From what I have come up with so far, I will get it and the first thing I upgrade would be the turboe's and eliminate the RW steering.

zdonner
12-30-2006, 12:55 PM
The output shafts were replaced, with Kormex shafts. The turbos aren't WEAK they're just tiny and can't push more than 14.5 lbs' effectively.

Lucky DAWG
12-30-2006, 01:27 PM
The output shafts were replaced, with Kormex shafts. The turbos aren't WEAK they're just tiny and can't push more than 14.5 lbs' effectively.

breaking = weak

zdonner
12-30-2006, 01:34 PM
breaking = weak

Weak = No flow
:goodjob:

Not like those Ceramic Nissan Turbos! :taun:

Turbodude06
01-04-2007, 12:56 AM
These are fun cars I used to have a Stealth, and I miss that thing so much, and it wasn't even the turbo one.:no:

BlkCD5
01-04-2007, 01:13 AM
these are very complex cars like said before. If you do get one, make sure the timing belt has been replaced. The trannies do tend to break along with other stuff. Upgrade the turbo's, tranny and keep up with maintenence and you should be fine. Its not hard to break 450awhp on these.

{X}Echo419
01-05-2007, 08:47 AM
www.3si.org

they're just like any car. maintain/don't rag it and it will last. but it is a complex car and can feel overwhelming @ times. my turbos were fine until about 130K and who knows how the last guy drove it? and their not "hard" to replace if you know how. the output shaft will wear down if you launch it like a lunatic everyday. looks like mine was based on the tires when I bought it. hell, there was alot of evidence that the previous owner dorve it into the ground. the mechanic I bought it from said when he got it wasn't running at all.

my best piece of advice would be: Fix it before you upgrade it. if the car is showing signs of an oil leak or something don't buy a boost controler(just an example) and dial up the boost. you're just asking for trouble :2cents:

Turbodude06
01-08-2007, 10:30 PM
these are very complex cars like said before. If you do get one, make sure the timing belt has been replaced. The trannies do tend to break along with other stuff. Upgrade the turbo's, tranny and keep up with maintenence and you should be fine. Its not hard to break 450awhp on these.

yea I fucked my tranny up, like I'm talking a hole in the tranny bigger then a quarter and a mound of metal came out about 5 inches wide and 2 inches tall, it wasn't pretty:no: ....

stealthrt
01-19-2007, 02:42 PM
breaking = weak

I have NEVER heard of stock 9b's breaking.. over 100k miles and the seals start to wear and will cause them to leak oil, but that is it..

The VR4 engine/transmission is VERY strong, but require a bit of maintenance. for normal driving, the stock setup will actually be fairly reliable up to 150k miles assuming it is well taken care of, tuned up regularly, 60k done on time, oil changed, etc.

The stock block has been proven to hold up to 600+ AWHP without problems. The transmission is strong enough to hold the power as well, but you will run into problems firstly with the Transfercase, then the Output shaft/driveshaft.. all which there are now upgrades for that can handle the power.

The AWS is nothing you should be concerned with replacing. No one really has any problems with it, and it is actually a pain in the ass to eleminate, although kits are out there.

A BPU car on stock turbos can run mid 12's if properly setup. TD04 upgrades are fairly affordable and yeild good numbers. Some have gone 10's with TD04 turbos, but most are stuck in the low-mid 11's.

You will probably have to replace the clutch at some point in the future, and do the 60k religiously at 60,120,180k miles.

Make sure to do what Echo said, fix everything that is wrong before you upgrade, or you WILL make the problems that much worse. 3si is a very good forum for the platform, and all the information you could ever need can be found there or stealth316.com

Good luck, and hopefully this info isn't too late!