PDA

View Full Version : cool air/cold air

ksinao
12-27-2006, 11:34 AM
bear with me on some of the questions im asking, im sure they must sound stupid, but hey, i gotta learn somewhere right?

what is the differance in performance between a cold air/cool air intake

mocha latte cupcake
12-27-2006, 11:38 AM
i would assume you mean a cool air intake and cold air INTAKE, well there isn't a difference cause people call it the same thing, however you might be talking about a ram/short intake and a COLD AIR intake.

RAM AIR AKA SHORT RAM
-Ram air is a shorter pipe mostly good for up high in the RPMs due to the less distance for the air to travel.
-definately saves your ass from hydro lock
-problem is when the engine gets hot so does the air in your intake

Cold air
-Better low end power and stays cooler through out the power band because the air is being drawn from the road level and not the engine bay
-better get a bypass valve incase you go puddle jumping
-generally cost about 80 dollars more and depending on what kind of car you have, i personally don't think that the chances of water in my engine are worth that 3 extra hp.

hope i helped -jm

§treet_§peed
12-27-2006, 01:04 PM
really no bigger gain from cold air and ram air... really no gain with either one at all. unless your car is tuned and such.. and it doesn't matter if oyu get a 10 dollar ebay one or a 100 dollar AEm V. 123324324 or whatever lol

ksinao
12-27-2006, 01:11 PM
appreciate it

and yeah, i meant intake. for some reason i must have been thinking exhaust

SampaGuy
12-27-2006, 01:48 PM
RAM AIR AKA SHORT RAM

-definately saves your ass from hydro lock

how is that? not saying ur wrong, just wondering why. i thought it was just a shorter intake pipe. i guess that would make it a little less likely to get splashed with water, but not a definite thing.

§treet_§peed
12-27-2006, 05:27 PM
eh i've never had my CAI suck up water luckly i guess, knock on wood.. and i've went thru some big ass puddles

mocha latte cupcake
12-27-2006, 05:33 PM
how is that? not saying ur wrong, just wondering why. i thought it was just a shorter intake pipe. i guess that would make it a little less likely to get splashed with water, but not a definite thing.

it is a shorter intake pipe, however if you have a cold air and comes to a huge as puddle or sitting at a light and have a truck send a tidal wave over your fender and headlight which basically sticks your filter underwater for a full second (yes its happened to me and a few other people i know) your engine doesn't pause for the wave. it keeps on running and sucking air through that straw only 7 inches off the ground. and your right the short ram is not a definate, but generally if your going to submerge oh i don't know, half way up your hood under water, OR just throw a glass of water on your intake filter you're definately going to see or know its coming. when i had my CAI on my spec V i added the bypass valve after a certain tsunami ran over my cars hood thanks to a jeep on 33's. so yeah, i'm a little bias but then again have something fuck up your MAF and have to replace it countless time and you'll more of a fan of Ram air too :D

thepolecat
12-27-2006, 05:39 PM
I have a cold air and a bypass and I have never had a problem with hydrolock- and I have treaded some major water. My buddy had a short ram and still got water in his engine.

Turbodude06
12-27-2006, 08:42 PM
I've had the long and short ram on my car and didn't feel any difference so I just run the short ram to be safe....

Hektik
12-28-2006, 05:24 AM
IVE HIT BIG ASS PUDDLES OF WATER WITH MY cai AND ALL I DO IS HOLD THE CLUTCH DOWN WHILE IM GOING OVER IT( IF I CANT AVOID THE PUDDLE ALL TOGETHER) SO THE RPM'S DROP AND IVE NEVER HAD TROUBLE SUCKING ANY WATER UP

Halfwit
12-28-2006, 07:02 AM
yeah i know it happens to SOME ppl but unless u drive into a lake, hydro locking is NOT as easy as ppl make it out to be,

1: who really drives through puddles big enough to submerge your hole filter?
2: if u do go through such a puddle that would splash up onto filter, u must be an idiot DRIVE SLOWER OVER PUDDLES.

ive never had a problem...

once again, i KNOW it CAN happen, but its HIGHLY unlikely, with sensible driving.