PDA

View Full Version : James Brown RIP

DeutscheBAG!
12-25-2006, 03:43 AM
godfather of soul passed away a few hours ago at a local atlanta hospital.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061225/ap_on_en_mu/obit_brown

Jecht
12-25-2006, 04:29 AM
Thats too bad...

TIGERJC
12-25-2006, 04:31 AM
RIP, he will be missed by both fans and cops.

ahmonrah
12-25-2006, 05:57 AM
yeah, ui just read it when i opened my browser.....R.I.P

ahmonrah
12-25-2006, 05:59 AM
RIP, he will be missed by both fans and cops.:eek: MUTHA........:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:!!!!!!

babygurl
12-25-2006, 07:08 AM
RIP

WWJDrift
12-25-2006, 07:15 AM
:(

1439/2000
12-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Years of pill popping and being a dancing machine caught up with him.

Great musician

Tasuki_Civic
12-25-2006, 09:48 AM
:( RIP i love all his music i found out by my myspace

The Yousef
12-25-2006, 10:57 AM
whoa....RIP

BTLFED
12-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Damn, that sucks. RIP.

R_Rated
12-25-2006, 11:00 AM
great singer, terrible person.

BABY J
12-25-2006, 12:15 PM
^^ How so?

CHADbee
12-25-2006, 12:21 PM
cocane is a hellva drug

RIP

quickdodgeŽ
12-25-2006, 12:21 PM
^^ How so?

You know many hits he had and how much his shit is still played? Later, QD.

Curmudgeon
12-25-2006, 12:23 PM
He may have had(as just about everyone does)his share of faults but that was his bad.

As far as being a "terrible" person..... I dunno. He did a lot for his home town community(Augusta)as well as for the children of that and other communities.

Not so "terrible".

What have you unselfishly done for anyone other than youself? Food for thought-

Merry Christmas-

BABY J
12-25-2006, 12:28 PM
He may have had(as just about everyone does)his share of faults but that was his bad.

As far as being a "terrible" person..... I dunno. He did a lot for his home town community(Augusta)as well as for the children of that and other communities.

Not so "terrible".

Merry Christmas-

EXACTLY!!! That's my point. Who the fuck are we to say who is "terrible" or not? Ya know? That's all I was saying.:goodjob:

QD I think you missed the post that I was referring to when I said "How So?".

quickdodgeŽ
12-25-2006, 12:33 PM
QD I think you missed the post that I was referring to when I said "How So?".

No I didn't, lolol. I was just being my normal, humorous self. Later, QD.

koukis14
12-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Get on the scene, like a sex machine. He was good in the BMW films movie with the m coupe.

Fast Shadow
12-25-2006, 12:58 PM
He wasn't terrible, he just fully embraced the lifestyle.

He was the most influential musician of the past 100 years. Soul, R&B, blues, hiphop, rock and roll, disco, electronic. He influenced all of them heavily.

Tasuki_Civic
12-25-2006, 12:59 PM

Not so "terrible".

Merry Christmas-

haha :yes:

BABY J
12-25-2006, 01:38 PM
No I didn't, lolol. I was just being my normal, humorous self. Later, QD.

:taun:

I'll take his mansion in N. Augusta - that house in on point.

RandomGuy
12-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Get on the scene, like a sex machine. He was good in the BMW films movie with the m coupe.
LOL yeah they sent me that shit in the mail on dvd...

i was like wtf its like a 20 minute commercial

jfman
12-26-2006, 04:45 AM
He was the most influential musician of the past 100 years.

I wouldnt go that far...

TIGERJC
12-26-2006, 04:49 AM
I wouldnt go that far...
plz explain

BABY J
12-26-2006, 09:38 AM
I wouldnt go that far...

why not?

RISKYB
12-26-2006, 10:11 AM
awsome artist. too bad

StupidBikerBoy
12-26-2006, 07:51 PM
R.I.P.

R_Rated
12-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Yeah he lied about his age when he was 18.... evidently it was easier to be a really good 13 year old than a mediocer 18 year old... so he was 78 when he died and not 73.

And his last wish, for his lawyer and agent to lock his wife out of the house, divorce her and give her nothing.

what a great guy.

BABY J
12-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah he lied about his age when he was 18.... evidently it was easier to be a really good 13 year old than a mediocer 18 year old... so he was 78 when he died and not 73.

And his last wish, for his lawyer and agent to lock his wife out of the house, divorce her and give her nothing.

what a great guy.

Do your homework. Music companies ALWAYS lied about their talents ages - from Michael Jackson to Stevie Wonder to the Beatles. This was not limited to music - child actors did the same thing.

BABY J
12-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Not only that - LOL - if you think he was "mediocre" at 18 then you are a tard. LOL. You obv know nothing about music. In fact - since he was not good at 18, who was "really" good that he was competing against?

R_Rated
12-26-2006, 09:29 PM
You obv know nothing about music. In fact - since he was not good at 18, who was "really" good that he was competing against?

anytime you want to compare music resumes or add up your hours spent recording in Nashville, NY and LA studios let me know. Or we can just see how many companies have endorsed you for playing their instruments.

you're right though.... I need to knowed more about the music industry.

My resume' inclused but not limited to:

POD
Dave Mathews
James Brown
Winton Marsalis
Branford Marsalis
Arturo Sandaval
Miles Davis
Josh Redman
Jofn Petrucci
Dave Weckyl
Mike Pertnoy
Kevin Eubanks
Billy Joel

Brett
12-26-2006, 09:34 PM
R.I.P Brotha

BABY J
12-26-2006, 09:52 PM
anytime you want to compare music resumes or add up your hours spent recording in Nashville, NY and LA studios let me know. Or we can just see how many companies have endorsed you for playing their instruments.

you're right though.... I need to knowed more about the music industry.

My resume' inclused but not limited to:

POD
Dave Mathews
James Brown
Winton Marsalis
Branford Marsalis
Arturo Sandaval
Miles Davis
Josh Redman
Jofn Petrucci
Dave Weckyl
Mike Pertnoy
Kevin Eubanks
Billy Joel

Google me homey - Strawberry Skies Studios. Vocals as well as bass. Not my 1st dance at all. Also did a year at AIM as an instructor (bass) as well at The Bass Gallery on Piedmont. Your accolades should warrant that you'd never utter that JB was a nobody (or mediocre) at 18 years old... shame on you, you should know better. But it's okay - you're forgiven.

R_Rated
12-26-2006, 09:59 PM
never said he was a nobody.... lots of suckey musicians were nobodies. James was far from average but in the ealy years he was like most child stars and merely a puppet. A freind of mine from his band (eric hargrove) was in the army band with me awhile back.

BABY J
12-26-2006, 10:09 PM
In the early ears he was a puppet - who ISN'T when they 1st get signed to a label?? :thinking: Ur 1st 2 albums are usually scripted - but his talent was ALWAYS there. It didn't show on vinly, but it DEF showed live even in the early years. I was in the Air Force band of the Pacific. I was at Kadena and we did 300 shows a year - (I think the Army band did about 320 that same year--? that's HUMPING and you def have earned my respect in that sense.) And there are lots of people that claim to have been a part of James' band. I have "sat in" w/ a lot of people - Wooten, Marcus Miller, even Dave Matthews (unplugged) in Denver. Hargrove is a strange name to me - doesn't mean he isn't legit, but just b/c u are a 1st call guy in a region doesn't mean you can lay claim to being a PART of the/a band. Adam Nitti (arguably the most notarized bassist in ATL* and THE 1st call guy in ATL for most genre's) doesn't claim bands. He is a 1st call/session guy - he does the work and goes home. Hargrove may have sat in a while - I am not so sure that he was on the roster - which I WILL admit, was VERY fluid for James' sets... he switched things up a lot and fired people just b/c he felt like it.

* Darryl Freeman may surpass Nitti locally - either way, you get my point.

HeLLo iM iZzY
12-27-2006, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I heard this morning about the death.

Good guy, RIP.

R_Rated
12-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Adam Nitti knows me! i took lessons from him a few years back. I got a Christmas Card from wooten, lol. My mom went to Highschool with him... I know him well. Erik Hargrove is on alot of Modern Drummers for Allegra durms, audix mics and Vic Firth sticks. I don't remember the cymbols but I have seen his name and pic in the other.

My past endorsements include: DR strings, EDEN (before they got bought), Mike lull basses(just like Randy Jackson aka journey FTW), Fodera, Kern(if you are a studio guy you will know this:), Smith and now Eshenbaugh.(if you don't know eshenbaugh basses, he learned under carl Thompson and is in Greenville SC)

I don't play as much anymore not that I am married. the travel got to be a bit much and my chops are not what they used to be after a car accident. Bt I can still find the pocket and sound tight with the Kick.

BABY J
12-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Good stuff! Adam taught next door to me at AIM, and still drops in regularly I hear even though he is a Nashville guy now (he still gets 1st calls in ATL). Great guy, and all the guys at Atl Bass Gallery. I did BATB w/ Wooten and Pastorius in 2001, and Bass Nature Camp in 2002...met some kool people (2 include Anthony Jackson - who teaches in Virginia at a small shop). Sounds like you have been around - as have I. Nothing major, but I am solid and hold my own. I never pushed for an endorsement, but I am sure that I could have socred something easily. They (endorsements) aren't what they were 10 years ago - hell not even what they were 5 years ago. I am gonna upload some vid/audio from the early JB and then we will let the forum decide if he was mediocre. :)

Curmudgeon
12-27-2006, 06:04 PM
R_Rated & BABY J -

No shit? Very kewl. While I'll not even pretend to have earned the accomplishments that you two have, I too was a musician(semi-pro) until the late '90's when I moved to ATL. from the DC area.

Grew up w/the piano/giutar, and ended up being just the bass player/backing vocals in a loud obnoxious rock band. Wrote/produced/promoted our own.... got some decent FM air time on a couple(DC/LA) stations, and eventually did a few East coast tours w/Nationals before two spec deals w/two different majors-

Never realized "the dream" to it's fullest, but the experiences(all of "them")are once in a lifetime memories and am gratefull for the opportunities-
Got out of it to become a full time single parent.... no regrets.

The names you've posted are w/out doubt heavy hitters.... just thought I'd say hey and give props for your accomplishments-

BABY J
12-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Here is some of my bass work:

www.seriouscustoms.com/music/BASS_TAPPING.WMV

www.seriouscustoms.com/music/BASS_BANNER.WMV

VERY rough - but u get the idea. I would not trade in my I.T career for a life as a professional musician. You're only the hottest band until the next hottest band. It is my passion, but will always remain a "hobby", not a way of life.

R_Rated
12-27-2006, 06:21 PM
"He did a lot for his home town community(Augusta)as well as for the children of that and other communities."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, he didn't do shit for Augusta or ANY charity. He didn't even give away a percentage of the interest his money made him. That man was a selfish prick. Amazing music career but far from a role model.

BABY J
12-27-2006, 06:25 PM
http://www.dallasblack.com/site.aspx/entertainment/jamesbrownholds

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/25/james.brown.obit.ap/index.html

BABY J
12-27-2006, 06:29 PM
** Professionally, his list of awards and honors are matched by few. Mr. Brown also had over 98 entries on Billboard's top 40 R&B singles chart, a record unsurpassed by any other artist.

** In 1962, his "Live at the Apollo" sold a million copies, the largest number ever for a black music album at the time.

** In 1997, the House of Representatives authored a resolution commending Mr. Brown as a "musical genius." He was one of the first inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and received the lifetime achievement award at the 34th Grammy Awards.

BABY J
12-27-2006, 06:34 PM
A MILLION ALBUMS IN 1962!!!! LOL. I wonder who was buying the considering the financial status of most minorities in that era - I will help you out, the SAME people that were buying the Beatles and Elvis. LOL. Do ur homework people. :)