PDA

View Full Version : official battery in trunk rule for tunerfest(or fast friday)!!!

dartingd
06-10-2005, 12:02 PM
okay..i called atl dragway and spoke w/ the "rule guy". he said that if you have your battery in the trunk, it can be any type of box, but must be anchored w/ 3/8" bolts up thru the bottom i believe w/ nuts going over a 1/4" thick piece of metal that goes over the top of the box. you must also have a kill switch on the back of the car, quarterpanel or farther back, clearly labeled (KILL SWITCH -->) with the on/off positions clearly labeled as well...the switch can be any type, but must have an alternator kill on it...if you have the battery up front, it just has to be factory...so now i shall go home and pull out the old cai i have, take the aem fittings off, replace those on the cai, reinstall the cai so i have battery room, and reinstall the battery up front, cause quite frankly, i don't want to do all that crap just for this one race, and potentially a couple more the rest of the year...not worth it...just an fyi for you guys wondering!

HiPSI
06-10-2005, 02:31 PM
looks like i'll be riding the bike up then ;)

dartingd
06-10-2005, 02:35 PM
what time do the gates open? it starts at 4pm, but i figured the gates opened before then....

Jehu
06-10-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm doing the same thing. Just not worth it...at least right now cause I'm broke! So the battery goes back in the front.

*goes off to find stock battery tray*

HiPSI
06-10-2005, 10:59 PM
honestly that guy was just reciting the rulebook... i've never had them do more than wiggle my battery and see if it's loose. if it's mounted securely and not sitting around the passenger/behind a rear seat or in a sealed trunk then they send me on. never ever had to have a kill switch or specific sized bolts holding the tray down.

Jehu
06-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Well, the one time I went this year, they almost didn't let me run. He said that if I came back again, I wouldn't be racing w/o one. It was mounted securely...it had nothing to do w/ that. It was the kill/disconnect switch.

You been there this year? I think the management changed so I'm not to suprised at the tighter rule following...

chuck
06-11-2005, 11:03 PM
so as far as these rules go you can't even run a bone stock miata at the track???

dartingd
06-12-2005, 05:20 PM
eh?

Jehu
06-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Do Miatas have their battery in the trunk?

I think there are at least one model BMW that is this way...

JITB
06-12-2005, 09:43 PM
alot of sport cars coem with the battery in the trunk.

dartingd
06-13-2005, 07:05 AM
well if it's stock, it's coo....

Jehu
06-13-2005, 07:48 AM
I'm sure they don't have a battery kill switch. :rolleyes: Let me search and see what's special about their installation. Might be a good beef to bring up to the big wigs who make these rules...

Evolution Autodesign
06-13-2005, 08:04 AM
Well, I guess I'll just risk it and see if they let me run the car once I get there. That rule has been around forever, and I've run at 3 different tracks w/ no kill switch, so hopefully this time is no different. I just don't have the time to install a kill switch this week, and putting the battery back in the stock location isn't an option (turbo sits there now.)

4dmin
06-13-2005, 09:17 AM
i believe they will let you run if the battery is secure and isn't rolling around in the back... it may need to be enclosed as well, but i believe you can get away w/o having the kill switch.

they are under new managment this season so i don't know how strict it will be... i know the new manager is a cool guy so we'll see how they are on the rule book.

Jehu
06-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Like I said, I've been there already this year and they about didn't let me run.

But, they where very clear that if I returned w/o a switch, I WOULDN'T be running! So be prepared to do what you have to do if you get there and they say no way...

Of course, if you as the show organizers can convince them to over look this one little issue, we'd all be SO GRATEFUL!

Jehu
06-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Well, I guess I'll just risk it and see if they let me run the car once I get there. That rule has been around forever, and I've run at 3 different tracks w/ no kill switch, so hopefully this time is no different. I just don't have the time to install a kill switch this week, and putting the battery back in the stock location isn't an option (turbo sits there now.)
Pics of your turbo setup? I have a 95...doubt I'd ever turbo it as it's my daily driver but I'd still like to see!

Evolution Autodesign
06-14-2005, 06:21 AM
http://www.evolution-autodesign.com/projects/max/images/DSC03976.JPG

http://www.evolution-autodesign.com/projects/max/images/DSC03978.JPG

Pics of your turbo setup? I have a 95...doubt I'd ever turbo it as it's my daily driver but I'd still like to see!

Jehu
06-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Not a lot of room to work with I see!

ahmonrah
06-20-2005, 03:40 AM
I think there are at least one model BMW that is this way...the bmw you were refering to was the 2000(?)3-series bmw. i test drive one in '02-03 and that was one of the features the saleswoman told me of before i took the car down I-85s at 120+mph! that model has the battery in the trunk but even factory it has a kill mechanism on it. if it gets in a wreck, power from the battery is killed. i liked that car. 5-speed i didnt even realize i was going over a buck 'cause we were talking about the car and she was theone that pointed it out to me that i was going in excess of a buck. felt like to me i was doing about 60 +/-mph. oh well.