PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Apexi SAFC really enough?

SwiftGTiRacer
06-10-2005, 02:46 AM
So i just upgraded my complete full system (injectors, pump, rail, fpr, etc). Before i was only running about 8psi on a stock block. Now i have a completley new block being installed and i plan on running around 22psi. All i have for fuel control is my Apexi SAFC & i guess you could call a FPR a fuel control. Will the Apexi SAFC take care of everything i need or do i "need" to upgrade that also?

Swifty

Xrated O.G.
06-10-2005, 08:20 AM
The AFC should be plenty of controller for this application. That in conjunction with the FPR and you should be good to go...

PSINXS
06-10-2005, 05:38 PM
depends on size of injectors. any bigger than 550 and u need more than a super afc. IF otherwise u are straight.

scttydb411
06-10-2005, 09:37 PM
did you guys read his post?? 22 psi?? no way!! what's your full setup? uberdata, crome, hondata, or aem. i need to pull up my old post on why you don't want to run an afc for real boosted management.

scttydb411
06-10-2005, 09:47 PM
click here...i'm too lazy to retype it all. read my explanation of the afc, correction, fueling, timing.
http://www.importlounge.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27825&hl=

SwiftGTiRacer
06-10-2005, 11:32 PM
When you ask full set up are you talking about my fuel or entire engine? As far as the size of injectors, i'm using the DSM 440cc injectors. This is for my Suzuki so Hondata and AEM are out of the question cause they aren't universal.

Swifty

mogallo
06-11-2005, 03:36 PM
SAFC should be enough.

scttydb411
06-11-2005, 10:35 PM
When you ask full set up are you talking about my fuel or entire engine? As far as the size of injectors, i'm using the DSM 440cc injectors. This is for my Suzuki so Hondata and AEM are out of the question cause they aren't universal.

Swifty

i should have paid closer attention to your screen name.

suzuki is a different question...is it n/a or stock boosted? are these map, maf, or some other form of measuring vac/boost w/ the ecu? are you looking to use the afc as a form of "hack" to fool the ecu from seeing a boost signal? what size inj do these use stock?

interesting project.

SwiftGTiRacer
06-12-2005, 04:13 AM
The car is stock N/A. i was running 8psi with no problem on the SAFC. I'm just worried now with 22psi+ and a lot more fuel that it might not be enough. Its running a MAF. I think the stock injector size is 220cc but i could be wrong. The SAFC worked perfect on stock injectors and low boost. I'm not wanting to put to much more money into this car than i have to but if its neccesary i'll do it.

Swifty

scttydb411
06-12-2005, 09:26 AM
are you trying to use the afc like a "hack" in which you use larger injectors and then use the corrections to a large negative to hide the maf voltage from the ecu? at what psi would it trip a cel or what bar mapsensor does the car use stock?

SwiftGTiRacer
06-13-2005, 12:30 AM
I always thought the SAFC takes the output from the ECU, and increases it according to the MAF's output but letting the ECU run stock signalling.

Swifty

Evolution Autodesign
06-13-2005, 08:13 AM
440cc's from 220's should be within the range of AFC adjustment. I would worry about the AFC not having enough adjustment points though. At 22psi, I would want as much adjustability as possible.

For my car, I went w/ the emanage to control 660cc injectors (stock was 254cc). Most guys I know w/ AFC's swap out for something more tunable as they run more power.

I always thought the SAFC takes the output from the ECU, and increases it according to the MAF's output but letting the ECU run stock signalling.

Swifty

SwiftGTiRacer
06-13-2005, 09:45 AM
i would really like to keep the SAFC unless its necessary for me to upgrade. I'm really tired of this project but it seems the more i upgrade something another thing needs to be upgraded as well. I'm just trying to finish up this car as soon as possible with spending as little cash as possible. Now that i upgraded the block i have to worry about the gear box, traction (lsd, new tires), etc. Not to mention i need body work and completley new paint job. Its becoming a head ache. But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Swifty

Jaimecbr900
06-13-2005, 01:06 PM
The only way to really know is to take it to the dyno and try tuning it with the AFC first. As Shadow pointed out, one of the cons of the AFC is limited adjustability. Although, it works perfectly fine for 90% of folks because they aren't running crazy boost so they don't really need a ton of adjustability neither.

It may be a moot point though because by the time you pay for dyno time, you may have been able to buy something different anyway.

I have a gut feeling that the AFC may just work though. You're upping the injector size enough to where the amount of adjustment up or down is not going to be astronomical either.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

SwiftGTiRacer
06-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys. Good advice. I think i'm going to wait and see what the dyno says. Thanks again for the help.

Swifty

scttydb411
06-15-2005, 12:08 AM

Swifty

what it does is intercept the signal of the maf and adds/subtracts depending on your adjustment and sends that to your ecu. this in turn tells the ecu what vac/boost table you should be in and then spits out a signal to the inj for the amount of fuel in that particular part of the table, but at the same time is sending a signal to the dizzy for the amount of timing in that same part of the table.