PDA

View Full Version : banned from flight w/anti-bush shirt on

ShooterMcGavin
12-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Banned for a George Bush T-shirt

Herald Sun, Australia | December 14, 2006
Mark Dunn

An Australian was barred from a London-Melbourne flight unless he removed a T-shirt depicting George Bush as the world's number one terrorist.

Allen Jasson was also prevented from catching a connecting flight within Australia later the same day unless he removed the offending T-shirt.

Mr Jasson says Qantas and Virgin Blue were engaging in censorship but the airlines say the T-shirt was a security issue and could affect the sensitivities of other passengers.

"The woman at the security check-in (at Heathrow) just said to me, 'You are not wearing that'," Mr Jasson, 55, said yesterday.

Mr Jasson, who lives in London and was flying to Australia to visit family on December 2, said he was first told he would need to turn the T-shirt inside-out before he would be allowed to board the Qantas flight.

"I told her I had the right to express my opinion," he said.

"She called other security and other people got involved. Ultimately, they said it was a security issue . . . in light of the present situation."

After a prolonged argument about freedom of speech and expression, Mr Jasson said a Qantas gate manager said he could not fly at all unless he wore another T-shirt.

Mr Jasson said his clothing had already been checked in and he was forced to buy a new T-shirt – this time with London Underground written on it – coincidentally the site of a terrorist attack last year.

"I felt I had made my point and caved in," Mr Jasson said.

But after arriving in Australia, Mr Jasson said he put his Bush T-shirt back on and was again banned from boarding a connecting flight – this time a Virgin Blue plane from Adelaide to Melbourne.

"It was argued other passengers could be offended," Mr Jasson said.

"I said it was most offensive that I would be prevented from expressing my political views."

Mr Jasson said the T-shirt often sparked comment from people in the street.

A Virgin Blue spokeswoman said the airline had a policy to ban offensive clothing and bare feet. "Most people use common sense and don't go out of their way to offend people," she said.

Ran
12-15-2006, 10:05 AM
A Virgin Blue spokeswoman said the airline had a policy to ban offensive clothing and bare feet. "Most people use common sense and don't go out of their way to offend people," she said.Yeah, most people do. You still get an @sshat every now and then though.

HvyArms
12-15-2006, 10:09 AM
...but isn't it a civil liberties issue? Freedom of expression may be inalienable, but it isn't universal. Personally, I dont think that dude was an ass for wearing an Anti bush shirt. Has anyone seen my plates?

{X}Echo419
12-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Freedom of speech is to protect people from the gov't not private companies.

the airlines are private companies and they can refuse service to anyone they want to for any reason.

personally I would have punched him in the head and said, "I'm expressing myself on your face." :tongue1:

no control
12-15-2006, 10:14 AM
a security issue? from a fucking t-shirt? wonderful...

STI LOVER
12-15-2006, 10:14 AM
pics of plates please.

Jecht
12-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Where can I buy this shirt? lol

JennB
12-15-2006, 10:23 AM
The problem is that what is or is not offensive is a matter of opinion. When rules are not concrete and instead left up to the interpretation of the enforcer, problems always arise.

It is a private company and their dress code stands no matter what someone thinks it's their right to wear. It's like going to a 5 star restaurant with flip flops on, they can and will turn you away and there is nothing you can do about it. Like I said, the thing that causes problems here is interpretation, tons of people wear t-shirts on planes.

I couldn't care less if that guy wears that t-shirt. It's his shirt and has nothing to do with me.

4dmin
12-15-2006, 11:47 AM
that shit is gay :2up: ... is Virgin Blue owned by VIRGIN? i would highly doubt they would be against such; the owner is so liberal.

Infinite
12-15-2006, 04:00 PM
thats bullshit.
i still like this shirt
http://www.foulmouthshirts.com/T_SHIRT_D/PATRIOTIC_POLITICAL/thumbnails/bigYOURE-STILL-RETARDED.jpg

BKgen®
12-15-2006, 04:11 PM
love these
http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a374/a374_a_01.jpg
http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a780/a780.gif

Sport1.3
12-15-2006, 04:17 PM
It had nothing to do with his political views at all. the fucking shirt says "Worlds #1 terrorist" on it for fuck sake.....im sure that was their concern. Words like "bomb" "terrorist" and "knife/Gun" are all sensitive words especially in an airport. The guy is just a douche trying to get his 5 mins of fame. There should absolutely be no problem with him being told to turn it inside out at the very least. He is very lucky he was still allowed on the plane. My aunt was over heard by an officer saying to her Nephew "you are the bomb" and was taken in by airport security, searched and questioned..all because she said the fucking word "bomb"..(mind you this was all before 9/11 as well)....this cumdumpster should have had his knee caps shot out

BKgen®
12-15-2006, 04:19 PM
does this mean i can't go to sea world wearing my "save the whales -- club a seal" shirt? :cry:

Sport1.3
12-15-2006, 04:23 PM
does this mean i can't go to sea world wearing my "save the whales -- club a seal" shirt? :cry:

404: Humor not found

BKgen®
12-15-2006, 04:25 PM
whatever.

ShooterMcGavin
12-15-2006, 04:37 PM
lol, danny sounds like something crawled up his butt and died today :D