PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods 318ti brakes

xatlxshawtyx
12-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Ok. So I don't know if you guys can answer this but... I have a 1998 318ti (duh it says it in the title I know) and I just got new rotars and brake pads and censors for my car like a week ago. The thing is according to the BMW dealership there's only one set of brake pads for my car... well they don't fit. The pads are too thick. So my dad customized them and the are calling like you never even knew, it was worse then the brakes I had before. I know the calling's coming from my dad's customization, but do you know why the pads are so thick? And I know we should have gone to the dealership to get them put on, but it was 400 bucks of labor.. plus my dad's a guy.. and apparently they get really upset when other people don't think they can do it themselves.

Any help? Anything I can do with the brakes now?:cry: Cuz poor dominic(my car) is getting unwanted attention. Thanks!

i4_garage
12-14-2006, 11:08 PM
i have to see it in person to figure out the problem....dealers are stealers :)

xatlxshawtyx
12-15-2006, 12:30 AM
i have to see it in person to figure out the problem....dealers are stealers :)

Oh. =) Thanks for 'trying' anywyas? lol

Autofab
12-15-2006, 09:04 AM
You know we specialize in BMW right...! Hit us up 678-482-2221 ask for Thomas
We can fix that for you no problem!

speedminded
12-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Talk to them ^^^^^ they woulda/coulda saved you a ton from the dealer!

Are you sure it's even 318ti brakes on you 318ti? :2cents: Could have been upgraded to a differant model or the pads your dad bought may just have been for a differant model 318. :dunno:

slowrolla97
12-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Stupid question but are you sure you compressed the caliper all the way to fit the new pads?? Just wanted to double check

speedminded
12-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Stupid question but are you sure you compressed the caliper all the way to fit the new pads?? Just wanted to double checki wasn't going to say that :tongue:

~The_Duke~
12-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Stupid question but are you sure you compressed the caliper all the way to fit the new pads?? Just wanted to double check

I was about ready to say the same thing. Kyle (slowrolla) helped me with my brakes last week and we had the same problem that you are having til with compressed the piston. Clamps or a small pc of wood with a small hammer should do the trick :goodjob:

~The_Duke~
12-15-2006, 06:59 PM
i wasn't going to say that :tongue:

Why not me and kyle sat there cursing at my brakes for about 20 mins cas of this cas he was cold and not thinking and I am a n00b.

d993s
12-15-2006, 07:09 PM

(Excuse me, I'm bored).........It turns out it was a stupid question after all! j/k :D
Don't you mean compress the piston in the caliper?

Oh yeah, take it to Thomas @ AutoFab (Thomas@AutoFab) if your friends have no luck with it. I'm sure he'll figure it out, not to mention he loves helping females :D

On another note..........
What's up Thomas? Did you hear about my Porsche-"sizzle"..........yes, it caught fire!

~The_Duke~
12-15-2006, 07:13 PM
(Excuse me, I'm bored).........It turns out it was a stupid question after all! j/k :D
Don't you mean compress the piston in the caliper?

I think he was a lil shook up from the cop yelling at him last night...lol

xatlxshawtyx
12-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys =) I'll ask my dad.. and uh. update haha

~The_Duke~
12-15-2006, 10:11 PM
If ya want me and kyle to come over and look at it just shoot a pm before 11:30

yudalicious
12-16-2006, 01:10 AM
I got $5 on this, push piston into caliper, voila.

Dominic49
12-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Ok. So I don't know if you guys can answer this but... I have a 1998 318ti (duh it says it in the title I know) and I just got new rotars and brake pads and censors for my car like a week ago. The thing is according to the BMW dealership there's only one set of brake pads for my car... well they don't fit. The pads are too thick. So my dad customized them and the are calling like you never even knew, it was worse then the brakes I had before. I know the calling's coming from my dad's customization, but do you know why the pads are so thick? And I know we should have gone to the dealership to get them put on, but it was 400 bucks of labor.. plus my dad's a guy.. and apparently they get really upset when other people don't think they can do it themselves.

Any help? Anything I can do with the brakes now?:cry: Cuz poor dominic(my car) is getting unwanted attention. Thanks!

awwww you named your car after me... i am a bmw driver too.... weird... well your car has many sets of brake pads avalible and the caliper needs to be reste when you get new pads because asd your pads wear down your calipers "learn" the difference in lost paddage....

xatlxshawtyx
12-16-2006, 05:01 PM
awwww you named your car after me... i am a bmw driver too.... weird... well your car has many sets of brake pads avalible and the caliper needs to be reste when you get new pads because asd your pads wear down your calipers "learn" the difference in lost paddage....

hmph then the dealership was lying to me. Go Figure.
what's reste?
or is it reset?
lol

xatlxshawtyx
12-16-2006, 05:04 PM
If ya want me and kyle to come over and look at it just shoot a pm before 11:30

lol thanks but i think i'm aite.
but if it gets worse
i'll be sure to keep you guys in mind

~The_Duke~
12-16-2006, 07:12 PM
lol thanks but i think i'm aite.
but if it gets worse
i'll be sure to keep you guys in mind

we'll throw dominic (the person not your car) in the backseat and bring him with to since he is the BMW nut...

Dominic49
12-16-2006, 10:21 PM
what's reste?
or is it reset?
lol

reset

hmph then the dealership was lying to me. Go Figure. which dealership? they probly want you to buy pads from them.....

by like me and take a big set of channel locks and clamp the pad to the indention in the caliper.

Here are instructions for JOOOO
http://racepad.com/tech/change_brake_pads/change_brake_pads_download.pdf

if you somehow got air in your lines while doing the pad change then that would also make your brakes goto shit... then you would have to get them blead... not that bad we did it a t 3am a week ago when it was negative a billion degrees outside

P.S. Duke is a creepy stalker dude so don't talk to him :screwy: :screwy:

speedminded
12-17-2006, 08:53 PM
hrmm...Porsche brakes on a 318ti? Wander if they have the same control arms as a 325? :dunno: As soon as I get my house in order and move onto organizing the shop i'm going to start experimenting with new custom kits...with the 325 being one of the first i want to do :-)

Dominic49
12-17-2006, 09:45 PM
what type of 325?

~The_Duke~
12-17-2006, 09:50 PM
P.S. Duke is a creepy stalker dude so don't talk to him :screwy: :screwy:

You are so riding in the trunk next time :D

speedminded
12-18-2006, 09:39 AM
what type of 325?E30 first then the 36

Dominic49
12-18-2006, 05:41 PM
i'll donate my car to be used for testing... :-P since it is up at autofab anyways....