PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Throttle Body Size?

TheChosenOne
12-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Does throttle body size have anything to do with how well it performs, or is it just the quality with which it was made and brand?

99SI
12-14-2006, 11:10 AM
yes it can make a big difference. Many people make the mistake of thinking they need the biggest throttle body using the rational that bigger must be better. WRONG! In most cases of a bolt on engine setup you will not see much improvement and possibly even a loss with a larger throttle body. In the case of a larger build, ie: increased compression, cams, good header, tuning you could possibly use a larger TB. For an all motor setup, unless you are just running a balls out race setup a 65mm TB is as big as you need. I have made some good NA hp on both of my builds and I am still running the stock Civic Si TB. I could probably use to go up to a 65mm but it will be one of the last things I do. you can make plenty of power using stock Honda/Acura TB's. Make sure the rest of your setup is where it needs to be before worrying about a tB.

TheChosenOne
12-15-2006, 08:09 AM
thanks man. I think im gunna get a skunk2 intake manifold and a tune with a vafc II controller. After that, I think im gunna need to go and build the bottom end cause that all thats left. But, how big is a stock SiR intake on a b16?

99SI
12-15-2006, 09:22 AM
I am not too sure about the Sir intake, on my B16 that made 175whp I was running an AEBS intake mani with the stock B16a2 throttle body but I tuned on a chipped p28 running crome. Being a 90 model I would absolutely go with the chipped obd1 ecu over a VAFCII. The chipped ecu running crome will allow much more flexibility, especially if you are running some aftermarket cams. I ran and still run Rocket Motorsports M22x cams, which are pretty stout.

99SI
12-15-2006, 09:23 AM
BTW, for tuning contact Scotty at www.digitalboxtuning.com he tunes at Mainstream Performance on their dyno and is really good with tuning all motor Honda's. He is the one that tuned my B16 and is tuning my current engine.

TheChosenOne
12-27-2006, 03:55 PM
thanks man. Im definantly gunna check him out, but Iv'e also heard some good stuff about Balance Performance and AutoFab.

So, you think the VAFCII is totally capable of tunning my ecu to a decent optimal level. People have been telling me that its a waste of money and that I should just save up and get a Hondata, but my two ecu's are already chipped and only need a little adjusting if any.

99SI
12-28-2006, 02:02 PM
i would run the chipped ecu on crome. I wouldn't do a VAFC and for an all motor setup, unless you intend to run nitrous, I wouldn't bother with Hondata. If you want to run nitrous, Hondata has much better nitrous features but for just straight out all motor I would reccomend, and do personally run a chipped P28 tuned with crome.

Vteckidd
12-28-2006, 05:13 PM
thanks man. I think im gunna get a skunk2 intake manifold and a tune with a vafc II controller. After that, I think im gunna need to go and build the bottom end cause that all thats left. But, how big is a stock SiR intake on a b16?

What cams, what header, etc.

VAFC is not worth it at all if your looking for POWER Numbers. Its good for a stock motor with bolt ons an all you want is some minor tuning. but for driveability an a POWERBAND, it SUCKS.

for the price of a AFC NEO $350-$400 (you cannot buy the SAFC or VAFCs anymore, they discontinued them so you would have to find one used) you can buy a VTEC distributor (OBD1)$100 , OBD0-OBD1 conversion harness $90, CHIPPED P28 OBD1 $180

If you want to make power, buy CROME, an convert to obd1

if you dont want to spend that much money, i would still contact Scotty from Digitalboxtuning.com we can tune OBD0 with a program called BRE. its not as nice as OBD1 Crome, but it still works and is better than a AFC.

We tune 5-10 cars a week using Crome, hondata is a waste of money unless you are running nitrous or 600+whp turbo application.

i made 237whp ALL MOTOR with CROME, and i hold the highest whp motor record still to this day for the state of georgia

scttydb411
12-28-2006, 11:01 PM
if you decide on crome or hondata i can help you with both...i'm a hondata dealer.

99SI
12-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Glad to see someone else finally decided to chime in. lol. :D

TheChosenOne
12-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks guys, but it looks like all the fine tunning will have to wait...

It seems you couple Mainstream guys are the only ones on here who actually know honda engine inside and out because you are the same people who chipped in on my b16 engine rebuild thread.

I need all my money to go towards the rebuild, and once I get back on my feet, then I'll consider the chrome obd1 setup.