PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Can anti lag build boost from a roll

TIGERJC
12-13-2006, 06:15 AM
I was thinking of using anti-lag to build boost for roll races and I wanted to know could it be done?? I rather use anti lag to save my pads. any feedback is welcome.

David88vert
12-13-2006, 06:26 AM
Yes, it can be used. You are simply changing the timing to make the ignition happen at the end of the stroke - in the exhaust rather than in the cylinder chamber. It is hard on the turbo though.

Ask yourself this question: Which is cheaper, brake pads or a new turbo?

TIGERJC
12-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Yes, it can be used. You are simply changing the timing to make the ignition happen at the end of the stroke - in the exhaust rather than in the cylinder chamber. It is hard on the turbo though.

Ask yourself this question: Which is cheaper, brake pads or a new turbo?
good point, I still have to say my pads at $127 for a pair and a turbo rebuild is 400. But taking my turbo off is a pia

ct9a gsr
12-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Why not use both? BB for the initial jump & anti-lag between shifts.

TIGERJC
12-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Why not use both? BB for the initial jump & anti-lag between shifts.
yea I was going to do that from the start, but just wanted to see comments about this method

GTScoob
12-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Get used to buying new turbos if you're running antilag. I've heard Garrett turbos in particular cannot stand any kind of anti-lag.

The way that it works is that extra fuel is sent into the cylinders not firing and then it is blown into the exhaust manifold where it ignites and creates more exhaust gas to keep the turbo spooling. It will be loud and obnoxious but you'll have no lag.

TIGERJC
12-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Get used to buying new turbos if you're running antilag. I've heard Garrett turbos in particular cannot stand any kind of anti-lag.

The way that it works is that extra fuel is sent into the cylinders not firing and then it is blown into the exhaust manifold where it ignites and creates more exhaust gas to keep the turbo spooling. It will be loud and obnoxious but you'll have no lag.
I am running an apexi turbo right now. I wouldnt run anti lag all the time, nothing is made to last forever when it comes to performance.

ct9a gsr
12-13-2006, 10:41 AM
heh... anti-lag puts a good 'bit of stress on MANY parts of your drivetrain... definitely not the healthiest thing around... I still refuse to setup anti-lag between shifts on my new setup like I had on my gt35r... too scurred. =/

TIGERJC
12-13-2006, 10:44 AM
This is why I am doing research on it, b/c I have never used it. Im still thinking of setting it up on my stock motor, b/c its going to get built next fall. But with my small quick spooling turbo I may not need it in between shifts and may just use it to launch

drmcivicsi
12-13-2006, 11:11 AM
heh... anti-lag puts a good 'bit of stress on MANY parts of your drivetrain... definitely not the healthiest thing around... I still refuse to setup anti-lag between shifts on my new setup like I had on my gt35r... too scurred. =/

LOL poor 35r =(

TIGERJC
12-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Charles I thought that crazy amount of boost you were running on the gt35r, is what led to the death of that turbo

drmcivicsi
12-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Charles I thought that crazy amount of boost you were running on the gt35r, is what led to the death of that turbo

lol HAHHA no the death of the gt35r was him being dumb and not listing to me

long story short bolts got lose= turbo houseing to full off= chipping the hell out of the fins of the gt35r= bybygt35r

josh green
12-13-2006, 12:06 PM
you dont need anti lag in between shifts. They dont use it in drag racing so I dont see why you would need it street racing.

Garrett turbos hold up pretty well, all these companies come out with new things that are supposed to be better than the garretts but no one has come out with anything thus far. All the big guys in sfwd are running garrett turbochargers. Anti lag is pretty hard on the turbocharger but who is holding it for long periods of time? Its not like a 2 step that you have to be on to build boost, with antilag its just that.

ct9a gsr
12-13-2006, 12:40 PM

Turbine housing bolts backed out causing the inner wall of the housing itself to scrape and chip the turbine blades. Either anti-lag conditions or lack of torque on the bolts or both caused 'em to back out. Running "extreme" amounts of boost didn't hurt it. Hell, I ran 30psi upto 34psi on the stocker and it still works perfect with no shaft play. =D

GTScoob
12-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Garrett turbos hold up pretty well, all these companies come out with new things that are supposed to be better than the garretts but no one has come out with anything thus far.

Actually regarding turbos that are built to withstand anti-lag yes there are better options than Garrett turbos. The IHI line of turbos for Subarus stand up to a lot of anti-lag abuse and are what is used on the rally cars, certain Mitsubishi turbos are also built to hold up better under anti-lag. I'm not sure exactly what is different but they just happen to hold up better when using anti-lag.

TIGERJC
12-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Actually regarding turbos that are built to withstand anti-lag yes there are better options than Garrett turbos. The IHI line of turbos for Subarus stand up to a lot of anti-lag abuse and are what is used on the rally cars, certain Mitsubishi turbos are also built to hold up better under anti-lag. I'm not sure exactly what is different but they just happen to hold up better when using anti-lag.
Well I have a IHI-RHC6, is that a IHI turbo

Big Baller
12-13-2006, 07:00 PM
The IHI line of Turbos that is meant to handle anti-lag isnt just any old IHI turbo, you can get the anti lag ready turbos from prodrive, and true anti lag is more than retarding the timing etc. That is if you are talking about rally style anti lag.

Matt

GTScoob
12-13-2006, 07:20 PM
The IHI line of Turbos that is meant to handle anti-lag isnt just any old IHI turbo, you can get the anti lag ready turbos from prodrive, and true anti lag is more than retarding the timing etc. That is if you are talking about rally style anti lag.

Matt

I remember reading something on an Australian subaru forum years ago where all the guys down there were talking about how their VF22s held up much longer than the Garrett turbos and Mitsu turbos they had tried.

Anyways, to answer your first post, I dont think anti-lag would help you build boost from a roll, its main purpose is to keep the turbo spooled when you are off the throttle.

David88vert
12-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Anti-lag IS used in drag racing, and can be used with a 2step. It is just setup differently than rally racing.
Most aftermarket ECUs that have anti-lag, like Motec and AEM, use a retarding of the timing to go to a rich condition and introduce unburnt fuel into the exhaust housing of the turbo. You have to go pretty far past TDC to do this (usually I start around 40 degrees). This is the way they do anti-lag for drag racing.
Rally sometimes uses a different way of getting gas into the exhaust manifold - but the effect is basically the same. Some systems have separate injectors that shoot fuel directly into the turbo manifold.
Anytime you have fuel being burnt inside the turbo, that build heat and puts stress on parts.

josh green
12-15-2006, 12:53 AM
you dont have to pull out 40 degrees on a honda, I know a lot of guys used MSD or some ignition box to use as antilag. Digital 6 you can retard up to 10 degrees for "nitrous" but you can use it however you want. Thats enough to build a good bit more than just a 2 step.