PDA

View Full Version : Misc Christmas tree controversy

Jaimecbr900
12-12-2006, 10:49 AM
How is a Christmas tree like a Menorah?

How is a Christmas tree representative of a specific belief? Do people from all walks of life and beliefs not put up a Christmas tree for "Santa"?

How come in this society we have to SUE every damn body to force them to do things OUR way? Is there any wonder why we have so many stupid lawsuits clogging up the courts?

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_120906WABxmastreesEL.11b0d0cc.html

I know that as of today, this story has changed and the Christmas trees are being put back up. I think probably because the rabbi got a lot of pressure from his own people to shut up since he was making them look like idiots, but.....why did he want to do this in the first place?

This may come as a shocker to a lot of people, but there are NO Christmas trees in the Bible. So it's not technically a "religious" symbol. We tie it into Christmas because that's when they're put up, but the tree is not ABOUT Christmas. Compare that to a Menorah, which is entirely a religious symbol and practice. Atheists put up Christmas trees for their kids. How many Atheists light up Menorahs?

So how could a rabbi, a leader in the Jewish community, get upset and demand to have a Menorah lighting CEREMONY because there is a Christmas tree in the lobby of an airport?

Someone please explain to me what his thought process was.

Evil Goat
12-12-2006, 11:01 AM
15 minutes of fame is what its all about...

Kelly
12-12-2006, 11:10 AM
True. Gay, gay and more gay.

He can call it a "Holiday Tree" if he wants. :dunno:

Mike Lowrey
12-12-2006, 11:24 AM
In my mind there are too many stupid people in this world. People sue because of their own stupidity, they sue for their own greed.

Line up the stupid people

stupid people -> :???: :fire:

Jimmy B
12-12-2006, 12:13 PM
jamie, because there are some DUMB people in this world.. i WANT to celebrate CHRISTmas, with a tree, and talk about jesus being born.. if my neighbor dosent want to, um.. ok.. well then he doesnt have to..
this time of the year is about spending time with family, being /THANKFUL of what and who you have, and practicing your religion!
when i send out christmas cards, i say MERRY CHRISTMAS, because thats what i celebrate.. if someone tells me happy chaunaka(sc) i will tell them the same back out of respect of there religion!.. i dont want any attitudes because of what you, and i practice is diffrent than what someone else practices,.. ya know?

WHY CANT EVERYONE JUST GET ALONG!!!! :)

Jaimecbr900
12-12-2006, 08:21 PM
^^^^Exactly. I don't get it.

Why so much controversy over it?

People waste so much time out of their life trying to fix their neighbor's problems rather than taking care of their own backyard.

Why is it that everyone thinks that lawsuits will somehow miraculously make things just peachy king and whole again? :thinking:

There are so many REAL problems in the world, yet people like this guy choose to waste their time on something that in the grand scheme of things doesn't really matter. What a waste of eveyone's time. :rolleyes:

Hulud
12-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Xmas Trees FTW

Jimmy B
12-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Xmas Trees FTW

CHRISTmas :) lets not forget the reason for the season!!!!:D

SE-Rious1
12-12-2006, 10:43 PM
The tree symboleizes life and the lords life we use the tree as a symbol of his true living word kinda a living proof that he is alive and for all them ppl using fake tree's its not right cause he wasnt fake. so i use christmas tree to honor him on his bday.

GTScoob
12-12-2006, 10:48 PM
shit I thought this was another stupid weed thread.

How come most of the Jews I know all have christmas trees with big Stars of David on top.

Hektik
12-12-2006, 11:07 PM
The tree symboleizes life and the lords life we use the tree as a symbol of his true living word kinda a living proof that he is alive and for all them ppl using fake tree's its not right cause he wasnt fake. so i use christmas tree to honor him on his bday.

Christians celebrate the birth of Messiah on December with absolutely no knowledge about its origin. Nor do they understand what is the original significance of December 25 among the heathen nations. Finally, Christians have no knowledge of why the Roman Catholic Church chose this day.Most ancient and advanced nations, such as Babylon, Egypt, Persia, Greece, Roman and England, to name a few, believe December 25th was a solemn day and celebrated it. This celebration on December 25 was associated with the worship of the sun and the winter solstice.

By Dr. Lee Warren, B.A., D.D.

(c) 2002 PLIM REPORT, Vol. 11 #5

R.Kelly
12-12-2006, 11:10 PM
CHRISTmas :) lets not forget the reason for the season!!!!:D

ive heard that before and ive heard that the X in Xmas represents the cross not the actual x'ing out of christ, like i said ive heard both sides

SE-Rious1
12-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Christians celebrate the birth of Messiah on December with absolutely no knowledge about its origin. Nor do they understand what is the original significance of December 25 among the heathen nations. Finally, Christians have no knowledge of why the Roman Catholic Church chose this day.Most ancient and advanced nations, such as Babylon, Egypt, Persia, Greece, Roman and England, to name a few, believe December 25th was a solemn day and celebrated it. This celebration on December 25 was associated with the worship of the sun and the winter solstice.

By Dr. Lee Warren, B.A., D.D.

(c) 2002 PLIM REPORT, Vol. 11 #5

well i honor the lord everyday like its christmas and untill they prove for fact what day was of his birth i will do as i have but the 25th is a date set before us as a day for worship almost as saturday was set as the day of sabith.

Crazy Asian
12-12-2006, 11:26 PM
No offenese to whoever is jew...but jews I fuckin want to shoot them. Ever since I worked down in LA all they do is complain and complain. Fuck if you want a rolex watch for 500 go fuck with someone else. Then he complains that Im being discriminate and that hes going to get me fired. Hey bitch you want to know something...Im his son. Then he looks at me and walks away. Fuck....now this crap.

SE-Rious1
12-12-2006, 11:29 PM
(i saw the passion of the christ and it says all jews are going to hell if you dont belive me go watch it)

by: eric cartman
south park

Hektik
12-12-2006, 11:37 PM
well i honor the lord everyday like its christmas and untill they prove for fact what day was of his birth i will do as i have but the 25th is a date set before us as a day for worship almost as saturday was set as the day of sabith.

ohhh i understand im christian my self in that i beleive in god and have faith in him... but i also like to educate myself in other religions and why christianity is where it is... the whole saturday is a whole other deal... are u a seventh day adventist.. i have studied with them and they some good views.... my thing is that some people dont know why they celebrate certain things becasue they are so into theyre religion and they wont accept anything else( not directing at you) its like the whole bunny and egg thing for easter some people say that the rabbit represents fertility and so on and so on...but what does a rabbit really have to do with the death of jesus.... either way i dont like discussing religion it to touchy of a subject for me and others and just ends up turning into all kinds of things... so happy holidays:D

SE-Rious1
12-12-2006, 11:42 PM
ohhh i understand im christian my self in that i beleive in god and have faith in him... but i also like to educate myself in other religions and why christianity is where it is... the whole saturday is a whole other deal... are u a seventh day adventist.. i have studied with them and they some good views.... my thing is that some people dont know why they celebrate certain things becasue they are so into theyre religion and they wont accept anything else( not directing at you) its like the whole bunny and egg thing for easter some people say that the rabbit represents fertility and so on and so on...but what does a rabbit really have to do with the death of jesus.... either way i dont like discussing religion it to touchy of a subject for me and others and just ends up turning into all kinds of things... so happy holidays:D
true and its cool just gota spread the word and the faith for so many is miss guided and lost for what they should worship or celebrate. my father is a preacher lol so i hear alot about the different beliefs now days.

GTScoob
12-12-2006, 11:43 PM
No offenese to whoever is jew...

Go make a post about it in the whoreslounge. "I feel like American movie star Dirty Harold...Go ahead, make my day Jew..."

Crazy Asian
12-12-2006, 11:43 PM
BAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hektik
12-12-2006, 11:49 PM
jamie, because there are some DUMB people in this world.. i WANT to celebrate CHRISTmas, with a tree, and talk about jesus being born.. if my neighbor dosent want to, um.. ok.. well then he doesnt have to..
this time of the year is about spending time with family, being /THANKFUL of what and who you have, and practicing your religion!
when i send out christmas cards, i say MERRY CHRISTMAS, because thats what i celebrate.. if someone tells me happy chaunaka(sc) i will tell them the same back out of respect of there religion!.. i dont want any attitudes because of what you, and i practice is diffrent than what someone else practices,.. ya know?

WHY CANT EVERYONE JUST GET ALONG!!!! :)

i dont think the dumb people are the ones that are suing somebody casue they fell into theyre chimeney while trying to rape theyre reindeer on the roof and broke a leg on the way down and are now suing for the owner not bolting the reindeer down with 6 screws instead of 4 .... i think the idiots are the judges and the jury who grant these people the win....this countries court systems is so screwed because people sue for everythign and the system allows them to... they should have someone who will say no dumbass u cant sue casue u were the one trying to rape the reindeer u shouldnt have been on the roof u fucking idiot...

SE-Rious1
12-12-2006, 11:54 PM
^ hell almost everybody would say some dumbshit just to sue and get some that green paper with an idolizing face in they pocket lol

Leisa
12-13-2006, 06:47 AM
I dont understand it either, every year up until last year my work has put up about 5 Christmas trees on each floor... now we dont do it becausse someone of some type of religion has said that it is offensive to them... pisses me off!

Jimmy B
12-13-2006, 07:23 AM
leisa, you should decorate a bush thats right near your desk,.. or bring a 2ft tree in :)

celebrate waht you want.. if someone wants to bring a statue of a cat in and celebrate that, .. well.. thats there choice!

Jaimecbr900
12-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Very good points from a lot of you.

The "X"mas thing, Hulud did on purpose you guys. I know what he meant by it. And Jimmy answered it as I would have. Hulud knows me pretty well by now. :taun: He's cool people though, so no bashing. That's not what this is about.

See, this is what I don't get and would like some outside input to try and get my hands around it:

Why do people choose to take a stand on the dumbest things?

I mean, spilled hot coffee that YOU spilled on your damn self??? :thinking:
Christmas trees in the lobby of an airport???? :thinking:
Saying "Merry Christmas" by someone greeting you at the Walmart door??? :thinking:

I don't get all the idiocy that the courts allow people these days. Why not simply laugh them out of court? Don't even schedule the damn case. Don't they see that it opens the flood gates everytime they allow one of these ying yangs to even remotely be heard, let alone get air time on the local news???

Come on people. Why can't we be a little more tolerant and quit getting our panties in a wad over the smallest and dumbest things? So what if that guy wants to hang upside down from the rafters while he drinks his OJ in the morning.....SO FREAKING WHAT......why is it everybody's business to police everyone else into doing what THEY want for themselves? Why? Live and let live.

Our court system is so good and yet so damn stupid at the same time. Hmmm, let me let this idiot woman into court to sue AND WIN money for spilling hot coffee on her damn self.......Hmmmm, that'll just cause ME a huge backlog of stupid ass lawsuits......Hmmmm, that's justice....that's what the court system is for.....a damn forum for the opportunists and lazy people in the world. Great job there bud. Great job.... :goodjob:

I'm telling yall......I need to run for President and run this shiot.......there would be some REAL changes sure enough....... ;)

kittychick
12-13-2006, 09:20 AM
what a bummer for all the Christmas travelers- and the employees who have been putting it up for the last 10 years
but really an 8 foot tall Menorah? where do you buy something like that?

further more I agree that the Menorah has a direct correlation to the Jewish religion's holy book- where the Christmas tree didn't become part of the tradition until much later, several centuries after the Christian holy book was written

here's the history of the Christmas tree if anyone is interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree

this part is pretty interesting:
"According to one legend, Saint Boniface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Boniface)trinity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity) to the pagan tribes using the cone-shaped evergreen trees because of their triangular appearance.[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources)] attempted to introduce the idea of trinity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity) to the pagan tribes using the cone-shaped evergreen trees because of their triangular appearance.

The Christmas tree is often explained as a Christianization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianization) of the ancient pagan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism) idea that the evergreen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen) tree represents a celebration of the renewal of life."

Hulud
12-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Very good points from a lot of you.

The "X"mas thing, Hulud did on purpose you guys. I know what he meant by it. And Jimmy answered it as I would have. Hulud knows me pretty well by now. :taun: He's cool people though, so no bashing. That's not what this is about.
not sure if you were thinkin the same as r.kelly but xmas does not mean the "xing" out of christ, nor did i think that it did

ive heard that before and ive heard that the X in Xmas represents the cross not the actual x'ing out of christ, like i said ive heard both sides
please refer to this
http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/xmasabbr.asp

Jimmy B
12-13-2006, 09:45 AM
not sure if you were thinkin the same as r.kelly but xmas does not mean the "xing" out of christ, nor did i think that it did

please refer to this
http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/xmasabbr.asp

wow.. i have NEVER heard of that.... everything i hear is its disrespectful...

Hulud
12-13-2006, 09:46 AM
i had never heard it being disrespectful
heres more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

Jaimecbr900
12-13-2006, 10:26 AM

Me too, I always thought it was something disrespectful.

Hulud
12-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Me too, I always thought it was something disrespectful.
nah i never heard of it being disrespectful till today

but i mean if it was dont you think stores wouldnt use is? like Xmas sale!!!!!

but thats just what i think

Jaimecbr900
12-13-2006, 10:43 AM
nah i never heard of it being disrespectful till today

but i mean if it was dont you think stores wouldnt use is? like Xmas sale!!!!!

but thats just what i think

Kinda like a pet peeve, I just can't bring myself to use that. It may be irrational, but it's just one of those quirks I have.

To me, even though I know that Jesus wasn't technically born on Dec.25th, Christmas is the time of year to celebrate a part of his life. Therefore, it's hard for me to just delete the "Christ" out of Christmas. Just like I know that the Pilgrims didn't celebrate Thanksgiving on Nov.23rd every year (that's the date it fell on this year), but we make a tradition to celebrate it around the same time every year. Same with Christmas. It's the meaning behind it that's most important rather than the commercialized version.

So what if it's not historically correct, it is a specific time each year set aside to celebrate the birth of our Lord. That's more important than complete and utter accuracy. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Hulud
12-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Kinda like a pet peeve, I just can't bring myself to use that. It may be irrational, but it's just one of those quirks I have.

To me, even though I know that Jesus wasn't technically born on Dec.25th, Christmas is the time of year to celebrate a part of his life. Therefore, it's hard for me to just delete the "Christ" out of Christmas. Just like I know that the Pilgrims didn't celebrate Thanksgiving on Nov.23rd every year (that's the date it fell on this year), but we make a tradition to celebrate it around the same time every year. Same with Christmas. It's the meaning behind it that's most important rather than the commercialized version.

So what if it's not historically correct, it is a specific time each year set aside to celebrate the birth of our Lord. That's more important than complete and utter accuracy. Nothing wrong with that in my book.
thats cool, i wasnt trying to tell you to use it or anything, i was just explaining my position on it was not disrespectful

Jaimecbr900
12-13-2006, 10:51 AM
thats cool, i wasnt trying to tell you to use it or anything, i was just explaining my position on it was not disrespectful

Nah, I understand. I actually had never heard of reasoning that you posted up, so I learned something. I still can't bring myself to using it because of what it means to me, but that's cool.

You know if you'd stepped on my toes I'd let you know it.... ;) :D

Hulud
12-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Nah, I understand. I actually had never heard of reasoning that you posted up, so I learned something. I still can't bring myself to using it because of what it means to me, but that's cool.

You know if you'd stepped on my toes I'd let you know it.... ;) :D
werd!

id do the same, prolly pm you or something lol