PDA

View Full Version : Piston Rod Question

twinj
12-11-2006, 07:53 PM
I was wondering I am about to start buying internals for my civic. I just need some knowledge thats all. For sure i have to do the pistons. oh yea and i am boosted with stock internals. I am headed towards like about 10lbs-12lbs very relieable. Dont want a race car just something a little over 5lbs.

1st Question. If i do pistons do i have to do rods
2nd Question. If i do aftermarket pistons and rods could i use honda rings? Would it be the right thing to do?
3rd Question If i replace rods and pistons is there anything else that needs to be replace ie(seals,bearing, or anything like that).
4th Question I was looking at some pistons and some of them have 2 valve reliefs and some have 4 what does that matter.

Thanks for any help

drmcivicsi
12-11-2006, 07:59 PM
I was wondering I am about to start buying internals for my civic. I just need some knowledge thats all. For sure i have to do the pistons. oh yea and i am boosted with stock internals. I am headed towards like about 10lbs-12lbs very relieable. Dont want a race car just something a little over 5lbs.

1st Question. If i do pistons do i have to do rods
2nd Question. If i do aftermarket pistons and rods could i use honda rings? Would it be the right thing to do?
3rd Question If i replace rods and pistons is there anything else that needs to be replace ie(seals,bearing, or anything like that).
4th Question I was looking at some pistons and some of them have 2 valve reliefs and some have 4 what does that matter.

Thanks for any help

i have been out of the honda game for a while but ill do my best =)

1,aftermart pistons wont match up to stock rods i belive for hondas
2, i would only use HONDA OEM rings
3.i would get new bearings (if u are allready going to be that deep into the motor i would get oil pump, water pump, new timing belt ARP rod bolts and arp head bolts and a full gasket rebuild kit ) if it was me <<<<<<<<<<

hope that helps man

twinj
12-11-2006, 08:02 PM
thanks alot yea it helps. cause i didn't know but what you said makes good sense.

drmcivicsi
12-11-2006, 08:47 PM
n/p

nofive-0
12-12-2006, 03:32 AM
You need to do pistons and rings.
You don't have to use oem honda rings but it wouldn't hurt
Get something like 9.5:1 pistons dont worry about reliefs just make sure there for your motor.
Depending on how many miles the motor has on it you will probably need to get it bored or at least honed.
You will probably need to do rod bearings, but again depending on how many miles your car has on it you may need other machining.
we need more info

twinj
12-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the information about the reliefs i was wondering

It is supposely 80,000 on it i bought from a place in fayette and they told me 60,000 and i put about 20,000 on it.
80k mi
B18b1

You need to do pistons and rings.
You don't have to use oem honda rings but it wouldn't hurt
Get something like 9.5:1 pistons dont worry about reliefs just make sure there for your motor.
Depending on how many miles the motor has on it you will probably need to get it bored or at least honed.
You will probably need to do rod bearings, but again depending on how many miles your car has on it you may need other machining.
we need more info

Vuongy_Dong
12-12-2006, 02:25 PM
you dont use honda rings with aftermarket forged pistons.

nofive-0
12-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Just go ahead and rebuild everything while you have it apart. cjamces are you "shouldn't" need to regrind the crank or anything.
So you need:
Pistons and Rings
Rods
main bearings and rod bearings
A new oil pump wouldn't hurt