PDA

View Full Version : Warranty work on computers (hp/compaq)

4dmin
12-11-2006, 08:05 AM
So my Turion 64 bit laptop died 2 weeks ago... i called sat on hold for about 45mins talking to BOB? (nice american name for out sourced call center in India)... my box arrives tuesday to overnight my laptop to Memphis,TN... i ship it out Wed i get it back Fri... WOW! that was fast.

so i boot up my laptop... is crawling i'm like WTF... ok maybe its reregistering all of the equipment (ie. board, cpu)... i check out my laptop and i see SEMPRON 3300+ instead of Turion 64... i'm like WTF even my memory isn't registering right my 512mb is registering as 384 :2up: ....

at this point i'm pissed, i'm sitting here thinking man do they do this to alot of people... luckily i know what to look for (i do IT work). so i call back to India and speak to Michael? (they all have american names - lol) after going round and round trying to explain to him 'I BOUGHT A 64 BIT TURION NOT A SEMPRON AND YOU REPLACED MY EXPENSIVE LAPTOP WITH 2 GRADES LOWER PROCESSOR' finally he got me GREG? (supervisor)... i explain the same to him... then i read the warranty and in writting it states they have to exchange parts w/ equal parts or better NOT WORSE. so finally they give me to AMY (she was actually here in the USA and spoke great english).

Amy set me up for another pickup of my laptop + extended warranty for FREE. Also if they can't get the parts for my laptop i'm getting a new laptop. so my laptop goes out tomorrow :goodjob:

================================================== ======

NOW FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT COMPUTERS. IF YOU GO TO YOUR MY COMPUTER ICON AND RIGHT CLICK, THEN GO TO PROPERTIES YOU GET A SCREEN MUCH LIKE THIS \/

http://extended64.com/photos/rhoffman/images/651/366x425.aspx

^ WHERE IT SAYS COMPUTER THAT IS YOUR PROCESSOR (AMD ATHLONG 64), THEN THE SPEED (2.41GHz), AND FINALLY YOUR MEMORY (2.00 GB).

Now you can also check this in BIOS but i don't suggest you play w/ BIOS unless you know what you are doing. :goodjob:

Definately make sure you know what you have before you send out your computer for warranty work, b/c you never know what you may get back. Alot of times high demand may make some parts hard to find (ie. turion 64 for laptops).

Nemesis
12-11-2006, 08:25 AM
What was the cause of your last failure?

Luckily mine has been running strong since Ive owned it. We have the same models.

The Yousef
12-11-2006, 08:27 AM
God you're racist Paul...lol

The Ren
12-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Paul thanks for the info.. once my laptop gets back from gateway I plan on looking this up and making sure I have what I paid for.. They have had my comp since nov 18th.. waiting on parts.. im fairly upset..

Nemesis
12-11-2006, 08:33 AM
I sent off my laptop with a P4 and I got back a 286 DX 25MHZ back. LOL

4dmin
12-11-2006, 08:51 AM
my cpu took a shit and i think it may have fried the board as well... lights were blinking like crazy but it would pwr on, just wouldn't do anything.

ironchef
12-11-2006, 09:02 AM
I've got a compaq turion 64 as well. Knock on wood though, its been working great, and I've had it since February.

4dmin
12-11-2006, 09:28 AM
I've got a compaq turion 64 as well. Knock on wood though, its been working great, and I've had it since February.

bahhh thats when i bought mine Feb 17. :lmfao:

PS. IF YOU DON'T HAVE EXTENDED WARRANTY ON YOUR HP/COMPAQ YOU CAN GET IT FOR 39$ FROM THEM DIRECT CALL TECH SUPPORT :goodjob: