PDA

View Full Version : cleaning engine bay.....

IntegraXTR
12-08-2006, 02:27 PM
So I think its time for me to clean the engine bay cuz its gettin a little black in there. I've done it a couple times before previously but I used a pressure washer which I don't have one now so tryin to get some ideas on cleaning it by hand or maybe a water hose (dont think thats enough pressure). I think I might use a little simple green (diluted) mixed with some windex. Any ideas? Also I wanna clean my engine up a little, but without a pressure washer I'm out of ideas.

SE-Rious1
12-08-2006, 02:29 PM
spray good with meangreen or purple power then hose it off after about 10 min.

IntegraXTR
12-08-2006, 02:43 PM
yeh, thats basically what I did last time, cranked up the car, spray simple green on it, let it get hot, and pressure wash it down.

BABY J
12-08-2006, 02:44 PM
I like Gunk (foam) from AutoZone. Also there is a place here in Indianapolis that will steam clean it for you.

SE-Rious1
12-08-2006, 02:45 PM
well simple green isnt as good as purple power hell i used that before to take paint off walls in my house once he he

aaronfelipe
12-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I would not use a pressure washer on any motor.

SE-Rious1
12-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I would not use a pressure washer on any motor.
just dont use attachments use the regular end and dont get down in there saty a distance

Hektik
12-08-2006, 03:05 PM
i use gunk foam.. and then after the engine dries out a bit i spray it down with wd-40 like ovevr the valve cover and the hoses and stuff like taht and let it sit overnight before cranking it up and it stays nice for a long minute

IntegraXTR
12-08-2006, 03:08 PM
so how does this "gunk foam" work? is it a rub on application? need some more info on it, might pick some up after work.

Kyle
12-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Steam clean, does that work I have heard something about it...

HiPSI
12-08-2006, 03:51 PM
so how does this "gunk foam" work? is it a rub on application? need some more info on it, might pick some up after work.

buy a can or two, spray it on and it foams up. it's just a foaming version of degreaser. i've never had much luck with it myself, i prefer good old simple green and a couple old toothbrushes.

HiPSI
12-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Steam clean, does that work I have heard something about it...

yes if you happen to have access to a steam cleaner... but if you're not careful it'll do more damage than good.

IntegraXTR
12-08-2006, 04:00 PM
buy a can or two, spray it on and it foams up. it's just a foaming version of degreaser. i've never had much luck with it myself, i prefer good old simple green and a couple old toothbrushes.

thats what I figured, I used simple green myself and it works, but might pick up some of this gunk stuff.

§treet_§peed
12-08-2006, 05:09 PM
WD-40, wrag, and a pressure washer

BABY J
12-08-2006, 05:21 PM
^^ More flammable than gas. LOL.

§treet_§peed
12-08-2006, 05:28 PM
hey it gets the job done tho lol..i cleaned part of my engine bay with it..just by spraying it on letting it soak for a few then a little wiping and scrubbing

Hondasi
12-08-2006, 05:58 PM
take it to the carwash with spraygun should do the job

§treet_§peed
12-08-2006, 06:09 PM
you really don't want to spray to much water on your motor because you can fuck it up..or make it not start then you'll have to dry alot of shit out

HalfBaked
12-08-2006, 06:18 PM
you really don't want to spray to much water on your motor because you can fuck it up..or make it not start then you'll have to dry alot of shit out
Wow you are so full of knowledge.

§treet_§peed
12-08-2006, 06:20 PM
i know...:D

IntegraXTR
12-09-2006, 09:44 AM
lol, any more ideas?

speedminded
12-10-2006, 09:07 AM
So I think its time for me to clean the engine bay cuz its gettin a little black in there. I've done it a couple times before previously but I used a pressure washer which I don't have one now so tryin to get some ideas on cleaning it by hand or maybe a water hose (dont think thats enough pressure). I think I might use a little simple green (diluted) mixed with some windex. Any ideas? Also I wanna clean my engine up a little, but without a pressure washer I'm out of ideas.I like that simple green and window cleaner idea ;) You can get a big bowl and put it in the microwave for a few minutes then pour it in a sprayer....or you can mix it 1/3 simple green, 1/3 window cleaner, and 1/3 boiling water and steam it yourself. You'll want to spray it a couple times then get in every where you can with a soft rag to wipe it all down then just rinse with light water pressure, no nozzles or anything and let the water run out like a waterfall. Once you get all clean, rinsed, and it dries you can take some quick detail spray on a fresh rag and wipe it all down again.

Pics after cleaning doors jambs (original paint and the car was 3 years old)...

Sushi
12-11-2006, 12:02 AM
^^ That is "Mr. Attention 2 Detail"