PDA

View Full Version : Rattling sound..?

Mangrum
12-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Someone that knows about motors help would be apprciated.. You know how in pushrod motors you can hear when the timing is off by a rattling sound kind of like a pipe rattling and you can tell you have to adjust the timing. Well i have the same sound in my 97 Civic Hx but it shouldnt be the timing because the computer should take care of that right? And if it is how can it be adjusted and if its not the timing what do you think it could be? thank you

twinj
12-07-2006, 08:24 PM
How many miles is on the motor. Do you have any Mods done? I also have an Hx and my was making a noise it was the Heat shield on the exhaust, but that was my case.

Mangrum
12-07-2006, 08:28 PM
it only has 139,000 and there are no mods on the motor as of now..

twinj
12-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Are you having any other symptoms?

2.0civic
12-07-2006, 08:33 PM
whens the last time you got valves adjusted? mine makes that noise but thats what mine is

Mangrum
12-07-2006, 08:36 PM
i have no idea.. i just bought this car three weeks ago i dont even know if the valves have ever been adjusted. But if it was the valves wouldnt the check engine light come on or would the computer not read that? and yes that is really the only symptoms is a rattling sound almost as if a pipe is rattling. i hear it by my drivers door but you know how sound carries so i couldnt tell you where it is truely coming from.