PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods engine build

08turb@x
06-08-2005, 09:14 AM
can some one give me a price on what the total cost would be to completely build a b16. the whole long block.

Vteckidd
06-08-2005, 10:16 AM
All motor wise, i wouldnt do it.

heres what i would do:
Find an LS block and Crank for cheap.

Cheap Build:
LS rods Cryo treated with ARP ROD BOLTS
PR3 B16 Pistons-$185 with rings
ACL Race Bearings
be sure to replace all the OEM stuff, timing belt, water pump, oil pump gaskets

B16 Head
Valve Job/Port Job by RLZ Engineneering-$600
Rocket Motorsports M22X camshafts pAckage-$900 includes valvesprigns and retainers, spark plugs, ECU chip
AEBS intake manifold-$150 shipped
ITR TB-$150

youll want to replace this stuff too
ARP head studs
Timing belt
waterpump
tensioner

etc.

if the motor is in the car, your looking at $2500 in labor for me to pull it, dissasemble it, reseemble it, and put it back i nthe car. that includes Blueprinting and balancing, sometinhg that no other shop in GA does IN HOUSE.

i would rather built a 1.8l LSVTEC than build a B16. We just built a b16 from the ground up, hes making 170whp untuned, thats with a stock bottom end and no headwork. I think we can push him to 180whp with tuning. Feel free to PM him on this board, his name is 99SI.

with a mildly built LSVTEC like that your prob looking at 195-205whp and way more TQ

08turb@x
06-08-2005, 10:45 AM
cool, thanks, one question some one told me that ls/vtec dont work b/c the ls block doesnt have crank oil squerters and it will overheat. and someone told me that the ls block cant go passed 7k rpm b/c they dont have a crank gurdle.

99SI
06-08-2005, 11:38 AM
I am definately enjoying mine. I do think that I will build an Ls/VTEC before it's said and done. But with my car having the B16A2 from the factory I wanted to keep the original engine in it and build off of that. We still have several things left that I want to do, ie: better header, TB, Password CF intake, and some headwork. I think one of the best investments I made on my car was buying the omnipower flat face valves. I really think that put my build up there where I wanted it. Let me know if you want to check out SRZ's handiwork on my car. I've got to tell you to be prepared for Murphy's law before you start an engine build. We had several mishaps with getting the wrong parts, shit being back ordered, adding some things that I wanted to do after we had gotten started. Have patience be prepared to spend the money to do it right and not cut corners. I have been extremely pleased with the guys at SRZ and the quality of their work and also the way they have treated me. Mike's always available if you have any questions or concerns, and they will go out of their way should any problems arise. Now if he'll only get me my damn catch can and RM spark plugs! lol. BTW, Mike I got my axle in and pulleys on. A/C is so fucking nice bitch!

Vteckidd
06-08-2005, 11:56 AM
I am definately enjoying mine. I do think that I will build an Ls/VTEC before it's said and done. But with my car having the B16A2 from the factory I wanted to keep the original engine in it and build off of that. We still have several things left that I want to do, ie: better header, TB, Password CF intake, and some headwork. I think one of the best investments I made on my car was buying the omnipower flat face valves. I really think that put my build up there where I wanted it. Let me know if you want to check out SRZ's handiwork on my car. I've got to tell you to be prepared for Murphy's law before you start an engine build. We had several mishaps with getting the wrong parts, shit being back ordered, adding some things that I wanted to do after we had gotten started. Have patience be prepared to spend the money to do it right and not cut corners. I have been extremely pleased with the guys at SRZ and the quality of their work and also the way they have treated me. Mike's always available if you have any questions or concerns, and they will go out of their way should any problems arise. Now if he'll only get me my damn catch can and RM spark plugs! lol. BTW, Mike I got my axle in and pulleys on. A/C is so fucking nice bitch!
LOL, glad that was the only problem, your making too much power ;) i need to speak with you an get your car back in here to tune it. il PM you in a few.

To the guy that started this thread, what you have heard is false. Oil squirters and the girdle are overrated. You do not need them, in fact, im running a fully built LSVTEC with no girdle and no squirters to 10,000 rpms.
A STOCK LS block cannot handle 8200rpms , that is true. but if youare building it, then run ARP rod bolts, those are the weak links in Honda LS RODS. if you change those out, and cryo treat the, , you can handle 8500-9000 rpms.

Also, if the motor is balanced and blueprinted, then you can handle high revs

08turb@x
06-08-2005, 01:16 PM
thanks a lot i will look into this