View Full Version : Installing Valve Springs

SL33P3R
12-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Im installing Blox dual valve springs and retainers on my b16 head, also ferrea valves. When I compress the spring with my tool (http://www.honda-tech.com/zeropost?cmd=fshow&id=15#), the valve looks to be sliding against the side of the retainer which makes it almost impossible to squeeze the keepers in there, because one falls into the apppropriate hole, then the other one has no where to go becasue the valve is up against the retainer and there is no room for it so it just falls out, any suggestions? Everything is brand new

Yes, I do know what im doing. Some of the springs go in with no problem, but this one seems to be crooked or something, doesnt look like it to me, but just wondering if anyone has any suggestions

Vteckidd
12-06-2006, 06:27 PM
youre not doing it right. you need to figure out how to keep the valves up when installing the keepers ;)

you also need to center the spring on the valve. or learn how to slide the retainer around to drop the other keeper in. let me guess you are trying to DROP the keepers in , that is not the right way. buy the Omniman DVD an learn the correct way to install keepers, its a very simple process if you follow his or the factory service manual instructions

did you LAP the valves before you installed them? if not, you will have blow by and possible compression issues from the valves not sealing.

good luck

rupertaker
12-06-2006, 06:42 PM
this is going to go real well

SL33P3R
12-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Mike, if im doing it all wrong, why dont you try and HELP me for a change, i know you lack at that, but if you would that would be appriciated

Vteckidd
12-06-2006, 06:50 PM
$75 /hr

SL33P3R
12-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Pretty sad you can't give customers some tips to HELP them, but w/e

Can anyone help me that doesnt charge 75 an hour to help someone do their own work?

Thanks

rupertaker
12-06-2006, 07:00 PM
mike quit being a dick and start helping people for free

i need auto/manual swap

i'll buy food and beer

Vteckidd
12-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Pretty sad you can't give customers some tips to HELP them, but w/e

Can anyone help me that doesnt charge 75 an hour to help someone do their own work?

Thanks

i gave you all the tips you need, READ MY POST. Also, you stated you KNOW what you are doing, i said your not doing it the correct way.

we are a business, business need to make MONEY to OPERATE. Why would i build your head for free, or HELP you assemble it when i have people PAYING money for us to do it? that doesnt make any sense, we cant do stuff for free.

ask Spoolin, daniel, Seymour, nevernuftorq, big baller, boosted s60r, btec, anyone else on IA that has had us do work, i still charge them for work, i have to cause if i did it for free, i wouldnt have a shop.

all the answers you seek are in the honda service manual.

SL33P3R
12-06-2006, 07:07 PM
I know, Im saying, you dont try to helpme to try and do it. I WAS GONNA DO IT MYSELF, but was tryin to get some input

check ur PM:rolleyes:

Vteckidd
12-06-2006, 07:10 PM
I know, Im saying, you dont try to helpme to try and do it. I WAS GONNA DO IT MYSELF, but was tryin to get some input

READ WHAT I POSTED ALL THE ANSWERS ARE IN THERE TAYLOR. i told you waht to do. you want to do it yourself, there is nothing wrong with that. but im not going to give out my hard earned experience for free. ive built 20 heads and my first one was on my OEM gsr that took me 12 hours. then i did some reasarch , watched a few videos, and i can do it in 1 hour now with lapping the valves.

ask 99si, he was here when i built his head LOL

SL33P3R
12-06-2006, 07:13 PM
You get my PM?

JDMBeau
12-06-2006, 07:14 PM
babble babble bitch bitch rebel rebel party party sex sex sex dont forget the violence

honda-tech ftw.

to make this more of a technical discussion, mike, i was looking around on h-t and there is a thread on mixed opinions about lapping the valves, some say it is necessary some say, it is a age old trait that not all people do it, does it just REDUCE the chance of blowby, or completely elimate the chance of it?

rupertaker
12-06-2006, 07:14 PM

how about you shut the fuck up

thats a start

Vteckidd
12-06-2006, 07:16 PM
to make this more of a technical discussion, mike, i was looking around on h-t and there is a thread on mixed opinions about lapping the valves, some say it is necessary some say, it is a age old trait that not all people do it, does it just REDUCE the chance of blowby, or completely elimate the chance of it?

it most certainly HAS TO BE DONE if you care about your motor.

Jim Justice does it
Don Flores does it
David Hsu does it

im not one to disagree with those people

rupertaker
12-06-2006, 07:17 PM
babble babble bitch bitch rebel rebel party party sex sex sex dont forget the violence

honda-tech ftw.

thats weird Im watching a marilyn manson dvd right now

lol

josh green
12-06-2006, 07:24 PM

what is that supposed to say? Surely you have heard of HONDA-TECH, try the search feature, I would about guarantee you will find what you are looking for.
I pay, like everyone else. I suggest talking your parents into paying the extra $100 to have the head assembled correctly so if anything were to mess up it wouldnt be on you. Your wanting 500whp, that shits not reliable no matter what ANYONE says so why skimp on some shit like that.

SL33P3R
12-06-2006, 07:26 PM
ya, Im prolly goin to end up paying

I figured out how to install the valves, they are all in and locked, but no lapping, i will take them all out, and just take it to mainstream because i dont know what lappin is

JDMBeau
12-06-2006, 07:30 PM
thats weird Im watching a marilyn manson dvd right now

lol

ya its the shit

mike thanks for clearing it up

Vteckidd
12-06-2006, 07:32 PM
the price just went up:

beau gotti: you gotta understand, your 16, and they are all 25-30
FIMotorsportsTJM: i know
FIMotorsportsTJM: mike is the ONLY one tahts a dick to me
FIMotorsportsTJM: ONLY ONE
FIMotorsportsTJM: he said hes built 20 heads
FIMotorsportsTJM: ya right
FIMotorsportsTJM: maybe charles or james

DONT RUN YOUR MOUTH, ask around, PM 99SI, Kieron, Jason Staple with his turbo GSR EK, my 2.0lsvtec head, Juniors GSR head, Turbo Daves SUPRA head, Nevernuftrqs STI HEADS (with TDF) hell tons more i cant think of.

ive assembled at least 20 heads, if not more, an a honda head takes me an HOUR with lapping the valves.

thats assuming no one bothers me an the phone doesnt ring 25 times in that hour.

who do you think OWNS THE VALVE SPRING COMPRESSOR from snap on that CHARLES uses? ME.

Charles is better than i am , he did an h22 head today for a customer that paid for it in 45min. Charles is the man, hes prob one of the best mechanics at a performance shop in GA, between him an dave, there isnt anything that cant be done.

But dont question my knowledge an experience cause i am in the office. i was doing swaps when you you were learning algebra in 7th grade.

rupertaker
12-06-2006, 07:38 PM
the price just went up:

beau gotti: you gotta understand, your 16, and they are all 25-30
FIMotorsportsTJM: i know
FIMotorsportsTJM: mike is the ONLY one tahts a dick to me
FIMotorsportsTJM: ONLY ONE
FIMotorsportsTJM: he said hes built 20 heads
FIMotorsportsTJM: ya right
FIMotorsportsTJM: maybe charles or james

DONT RUN YOUR MOUTH, ask around, PM 99SI, Kieron, Jason Staple with his turbo GSR EK, my 2.0lsvtec head, Juniors GSR head, Turbo Daves SUPRA head, Nevernuftrqs STI HEADS (with TDF) hell tons more i cant think of.

ive assembled at least 20 heads, if not more, an a honda head takes me an HOUR with lapping the valves.

thats assuming no one bothers me an the phone doesnt ring 25 times in that hour.

who do you think OWNS THE VALVE SPRING COMPRESSOR from snap on that CHARLES uses? ME.

Charles is better than i am , he did an h22 head today for a customer that paid for it in 45min. Charles is the man, hes prob one of the best mechanics at a performance shop in GA, between him an dave, there isnt anything that cant be done.

But dont question my knowledge an experience cause i am in the office. i was doing swaps when you you were learning algebra in 7th grade.

ouch

not going to lie
first time i went to the shop

mike was assembling a head lol

i think thats all he is allowed to do other than answer phones and clean the bathroom

EDIT: scratch that, I was scared to take a shit last time i was there, I dont think anyone cleans the bathroom

SL33P3R
12-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Anyone knwo where i can buy the lapping compound? neither pepboys or autozone has it

JDMBeau
12-06-2006, 07:43 PM
IL drama thread FTW.

i had some respect for this KID until he started talking shit about friends, and becoming a ethug.

blah

rupertaker
12-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Tayler will you build my D16 head

Formally...
12-06-2006, 07:53 PM
EDIT: scratch that, I was scared to take a shit last time i was there, I dont think anyone cleans the bathroom

All better now, just hired a 16yr old girl to come clean once a week. Don't get any ideas she is my sister-in-law.

Taylor, congrats on doing it yourself, that is a good way to learn, but also remember to do the research first. Spend a day learning HOW to do it and then half a day actually doing it. As far as mike being a dick, you need to remember to look at it from his standpoint. He told you everything you need. Read the shop manual, and if you do some research you can find them online for free. Finally, we try to help you as much as we can, remember we told you from the start to get an vtec head and not use the LS head that you had to pay us to assemble. That could have been a vtec head and you would be done and making 500whp by now. Yes me and mike are almost twice your age and that means that we have spent TWICE the money REDOING our cars over the years.

SL33P3R
12-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks charles, i should of said that shit about mike, im jsut stressed my parents keep tellin me "get your car running get your car runnin" and im tryin to get help asap, because i was gonna put the head on tomorrow, but since i have to disassemble it and lap the valves it may be another day or 2, I wanted to build this head by myself so i can say taht i did it myself. I want to learn how to build motors and i figured this was the best way, im sorry im beginner

EmminoDaGreat
12-06-2006, 08:35 PM
and we all know im not qualified to do anything, not even clean the bathroom :(
im just moral support

rupertaker
12-06-2006, 11:37 PM
and we all know im not qualified to do anything, not even clean the bathroom :(
im just moral support

you're good at what you do though

drmcivicsi
12-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Im installing Blox dual valve springs and retainers on my b16 head, also ferrea valves. When I compress the spring with my tool (http://www.honda-tech.com/zeropost?cmd=fshow&id=15#), the valve looks to be sliding against the side of the retainer which makes it almost impossible to squeeze the keepers in there, because one falls into the apppropriate hole, then the other one has no where to go becasue the valve is up against the retainer and there is no room for it so it just falls out, any suggestions? Everything is brand new

Yes, I do know what im doing. Some of the springs go in with no problem, but this one seems to be crooked or something, doesnt look like it to me, but just wondering if anyone has any suggestions

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL so u know what u are doing but, you are asking how to do it lol pay MS to rebuild the head they know what they are doing, for that way if something was to go wrong they could take care of it but yeah rebuilding a head is easy u just need to know how to do it. i blew the first head i rebuilt. but i learned after that, if u got the money to fix things later if anything happens go for it and do it yourself it wont hurt just cost u some more money

SL33P3R
12-07-2006, 02:44 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL so u know what u are doing but, you are asking how to do it lol pay MS to rebuild the head they know what they are doing, for that way if something was to go wrong they could take care of it but yeah rebuilding a head is easy u just need to know how to do it. i blew the first head i rebuilt. but i learned after that, if u got the money to fix things later if anything happens go for it and do it yourself it wont hurt just cost u some more money

Actually I did know waht iw as doing. I had 4 springs left to install, but one of them acted as if it was comin in crooked or something, and i tried NUMEROUS times, its all good tho, i got it

GGPIS3
12-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Actually I did know waht iw as doing. I had 4 springs left to install, but one of them acted as if it was comin in crooked or something, and i tried NUMEROUS times, its all good tho, i got it

have u ever heard of the word ..... contradiction cuz u are a fine ex. of one
u say u know what u are doing but u really have no idea...
if u did have a clue this post wouldnt be here =)

THIS IS DRMCIVICSI

SL33P3R
12-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Your right dude, thats why my head is fully assembled right now, i now have to take it apart and lap the valves, fuck off

GGPIS3
12-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Your right dude, thats why my head is fully assembled right now, i now have to take it apart and lap the valves, fuck off

LOL your telling me to fuck off LOL atleast i know how to rebuild a head and a block without posting a thread jackass and if u want to tell me to fuck off ill meet u at MS and u can tell me and when your blows up im going to be the first one to laugh my ass of at you for beening a fucking jackass and just not paying mike to put that shit togather,

THIS IS DRMCIVICSI THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SL33P3R
12-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Ethuggin FTL, close this thread

EmminoDaGreat
12-07-2006, 11:12 PM
you're good at what you do though
at least someone appreciates me.... i will still hate you though, if you bring that civic to auto-manual..