PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with installing knowledge plz post HELP here

RandomGuy
06-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Ok I am wiring my starion's sound... here are the problems so far:
The head unit turns on etc... but when car shuts off, its resetted... (both ACC and constant are both hooked up to the only +12v line in the harness) that was the only way i got it to work.. :(
(i wont have to drill firewall to make another lead would i?)

Stock harness = 9 wires
Pioneer cd harness = ?12-13 wires, dont remember
remote system control not used... ground wire is hooked to metal panel inside of dash... hrm what else..

I hooked in all of the positives the the speakers.. and they all worked... as soon as I touch a single into the negative, they stop... wtf?. There is one negative that works reguardless of what I plug into it.. when i plug the negative wire from any speaker into that wire in the stock harness, all of the speakers suddenly get loud(er) and work better... the cd player is on almost max volume and its still barely loud.. (its loud, but nowhere, where it should be... its 50x4 head)

i need a diagram... I found one for an 84 starion, and its off...

I have a wiring harness for a starion... it has 13 pins on it. (the 2 pins on each side are unused, due to the size of the harness... its really wierd. I have no lead for constant power either.

Any pointers would be of great help.

redgst97
06-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Take it to a local shop....

A speaker lead has both positive and negative....

From your post, it sounds like you are putting hte negative speaker wire to ground, or trying to put it in the harness somewhere.

I think you are probably missing the wiring harness for the car-to-radio.

The 9 pin harness in the car was designed for the stock radio...not the aftermarket one you have (with 13 pins)

John

deffro
06-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Your constant wire is obviously not plugged into a constant power source. The constant should be spliced into a wire or into the fusebox that has power even when the car is off. The acc wire is plugged in correctly.

As for your harness, the pioneer harness is going to have wires you don't need, like illumination, cell phone mute, remote,(if your not running an amp), and maybe one or two more. Don't worry that the new harness has more, they are not needed.

Your speaker problem i couldn't really understand what you were saying. Just make sure all speakers are hooked up with their respective positive and negative connections, and then try to listen to them. If you move positives around and negatives around while your stereo is on you stand a chance of messing something up.

Hope this helps...

deffro
06-08-2005, 11:02 AM
If you need a wiring diagram for your stock harness let me know......

Niggerian
06-08-2005, 11:06 AM
yeah get it done professionally

deffro
06-08-2005, 11:13 AM
1984-89 Mitsubishi Starion Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Red/Black
Switched 12V+ Blue
Ground n/a
Illumination Black/Yellow
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger White/Black
Antenna Right Front

Front Speakers 4" Doors

Left Front (+) White/Blue
Left Front (-) Black/Blue
Right Front (+) White/Red
Right Front (-) Black/Red

Rear Speakers 5 1/4" Side Panels

Left Rear (+) Yellow/Blue
Left Rear (-) Gray/Blue
Right Rear (+) Yellow/Red
Right Rear (-) Gray/Red

• Alarm Information • Cruise Information

deffro
06-08-2005, 11:14 AM
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1984-89&make=Mitsubishi&model=Starion&ID=18501&type=Stereo

Spyder
06-08-2005, 11:14 AM
not all cars came with a constant power wire.

it also sounds like you have a common ground speaker setup.. in other words it uses the chassis as the ground and uses the positive from the radio. as has been stated its really hard to understand what the hell you are saying in text :)

where are you located, i can likely take a look someday and let you know what i see.
or
take it to a shop and let some pros do it.

Spyder
06-08-2005, 11:17 AM
1984-89 Mitsubishi Starion Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Red/Black
Switched 12V+ Blue
Ground n/a
Illumination Black/Yellow
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger White/Black
Antenna Right Front

Front Speakers 4" Doors

Left Front (+) White/Blue
Left Front (-) Black/Blue
Right Front (+) White/Red
Right Front (-) Black/Red

Rear Speakers 5 1/4" Side Panels

Left Rear (+) Yellow/Blue
Left Rear (-) Gray/Blue
Right Rear (+) Yellow/Red
Right Rear (-) Gray/Red

• Alarm Information • Cruise Information

good information, but i think his is a 83 from another post... i may be wrong.

deffro
06-08-2005, 11:27 AM
If the colors on the the 1984-1986 diagram I posted aren't right, try this one http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1983-86&make=Mitsubishi&model=Mighty%20Max&ID=18474&type=Stereo.

These are for the 1983 Mighty Max truck, but I find that most manufacturers still use the same wiring colors for all vehicles in a given year....

And about the constant wire......it is true that lots of cars don't have a constant wire. So you can get a test light and find out where a live spot is in your fusebox and connect the wire there.

RandomGuy
06-08-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm located in lilburn, but i dont mind driving anywhere if yer willing to help. Its the wierdest installation ever. anyone up for a challenge? lol

Spyder
06-08-2005, 11:37 AM
i had a 87 and an 89 starion.. i also have an extensive background in car audio. they arent that bad to put a stereo in. i cant help tonight but possibly tomorrow. im located in lawrencville.

RandomGuy
06-08-2005, 04:22 PM
thatd be freakin awesome... whenever you're free I'll bring it to ya

I am changing (or trying to) change the interior speakers today 4", 5.25", and 3.5" tweeters... its gonna be a bitch, but ill do it
u got a PM

rotorho
06-08-2005, 04:50 PM
hey your inbox is full i can do it after 7 tomorrow give me a call you know the number