View Full Version : Purchasing a vehicle out of state....

afterme
12-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Well i decided to purchase a vehicle in Florida from an Infiniti Dealership. I was wondering if anyone knew how the tax issue would be handled? I'm in Gwinnett county so will i be hit with the Gwinnett County tax percentage or the Jacksonville,Florida tax? Also what is the Gwinnett County Vehicle Tax if bought from dealership? Oh and will i have to get the car an emissions test before getting a tag? Thanks

Evil Goat
12-05-2006, 01:52 PM
should be hit w/ the jacksonville tax, thats where youre buying the vehicle, its just like buying gum, you dont get a special break or anything of that nature when buying it out of state

afterme
12-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Ok sounds good... what about the emissions and registration. Also will i have to pay another tax in Georgia? thanks

4dmin
12-05-2006, 03:21 PM
if your buying it at a retail place (dealer) you should pay taxes there... then you will have to emissions the vehicle... if your buying a vehicle from a private seller then no taxes

R3RUN
12-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Emissions depends on where you register the car as far as I know. So if you are going to register in Georgia you probably will have to.

buddha@TeamFX
12-05-2006, 04:45 PM
I bought my truck from a dealer out of state...and got a letter here while back from the state of ga...Ended up having to pay georgia tax on my truck to the department of revenue with the state of ga.

RISKYB
12-05-2006, 05:01 PM
last time i bought out of state, last december there was no sales tax

Fast Shadow
12-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Well i decided to purchase a vehicle in Florida from an Infiniti Dealership. I was wondering if anyone knew how the tax issue would be handled? I'm in Gwinnett county so will i be hit with the Gwinnett County tax percentage or the Jacksonville,Florida tax? Also what is the Gwinnett County Vehicle Tax if bought from dealership? Oh and will i have to get the car an emissions test before getting a tag? Thanks

1. You have to pay sales tax for the county you register the car in. I bought a car from a dealer in TN and they collected the GA state sales tax plus the extra tax for Fulton County. Then the dealer sent the application for title to the tax comissioner in GA along with a check for the sales tax. Once the title application was approved and the check cleared the certificate of title was issued to the leinholder and my tag/registration was issued to me. The whole process took a long time, almost 60 days. I had to get a second temp tag because my first one ran out.

You will not be charged FL sales tax, you'll be charged GA state sales tax plus any extra tax that Gwinnett adds on top.

You have to get emissions if the car is 2003 or older. Starting next year it will be 2004 or older. Then the year after that it's 2005 or older, etc.