PDA

View Full Version : plexiglass sculpting?

Halfwit
12-05-2006, 09:40 AM
how do u mold plexiglass? it comes in a flat piece.

here is what i am trying ot accomplish. if u dont like it , think its stupid, or are gay, leave your comments out, i like doing small projects that are cheap.

1: get afew sheets of plexiglass, and mold them to the shape of my windows, replace windows with plexiglass, not bolt in, but keep funcional.( i cna do that part)

i need to know how to sculpt it/

1: oven maybe?
2: torch?

fo r hte windows, all it needs is a slight bend ( u knwo how windows are slightly curved, not a str8 piece.

loSiRcity
12-05-2006, 09:57 AM
u have to find out what temp u use becasue at some point the plexiglass starts to not be see through so i don't think u can torch it. and u need a big ass oven that u can fit a mold in along with the p.glass. thats all i got

Halfwit
12-05-2006, 10:01 AM
yeah thats mainly what i was looking for, how not to make it cloudy or white...

crx windows will fit in my oven..lol but what can i use to have it lay over top the glass, and mold to it, but not stick to it?lol

loSiRcity
12-05-2006, 10:08 AM
u could prolly get some sort clay for pottery ya know? or if the window doesn't have plastic mounts on it and its all glass u could prolly sit on the actuall window. (i'd wait before i grabbed it tho lol) i got crx too and i've been thinkin bout doin the same thing (power to weight baby!) so let me kno how it goes

Halfwit
12-05-2006, 10:10 AM
ehh, i gotta do alot of research testing b4 i actually do it... how light is your crx? ive got mine down pretty far..

loSiRcity
12-05-2006, 10:14 AM
havent got a chance to weigh it yet but all it has is:

2 seats
dash
side panels

everything else is gone including all sound deadener (sp?), the complete ac system, window washer stuff.

so i think with a full tank of gas its around 2000 (rough estimate)

Killer
12-05-2006, 10:15 AM
... u may try just lubing up the window pretty well.... so when u bake the two they don't stick..

just like cookies and a pan.... lol.

Halfwit
12-05-2006, 10:17 AM
havent got a chance to weigh it yet but all it has is:

2 seats
dash
side panels

everything else is gone including all sound deadener (sp?), the complete ac system, window washer stuff.

so i think with a full tank of gas its around 2000 (rough estimate)
good yougn grasshopper, get on my level though

1860.. right at 2k with gas and me in it.

Halfwit
12-05-2006, 10:18 AM
... u may try just lubing up the window pretty well.... so when u bake the two they don't stick..

but i need to know IF I CAN BAKE IT,IF IT WILL WORK, TEMP ECT.

Kyle
12-05-2006, 10:18 AM

Hit it with some :ky:

Halfwit
12-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Hit it with some :ky:
why do i feel youve been waiting a long time to be able to use that smily?

Kyle
12-05-2006, 10:22 AM
why do i feel youve been waiting a long time to be able to use that smily?

hahahhaha. I always wondered why there was a thing of KY jelly, but this seemed like an appropriate usage.

Halfwit
12-05-2006, 10:24 AM
hahahhaha. I always wondered why there was a thing of KY jelly, but this seemed like an appropriate usage.
do some research on plexiglass molding. im about to go to my 2nd job. when i get back on here tonight, i expect to see a detailed report o nthe proper way tomold plexiglass, thanks.

Nemesis
12-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Sculpting? I want a plexiglass bowl or flower pot.

loSiRcity
12-05-2006, 10:37 AM
how'd u get ur car that light? urs a 91 si? i hear those are heavier.

teach me! lol

Halfwit
12-05-2006, 10:01 PM
88 si, lighter than 91..
put in traction bars, they replace the whole factory crossmember, bar is like 4 lbs, crossmember is heavy.... keep single cam, no swap. light rims...

Hektik
12-05-2006, 10:15 PM
put PAM on the original windows so it doesnt stickhttp://forums.importatlanta.com/images/smilies/doh.gif

on and here i found something that might help u on ur research

http://forums.importatlanta.com/images/smilies/google.gif

JDMBeau
12-05-2006, 10:24 PM
heat gun maybe?

i4_garage
12-05-2006, 10:46 PM
just take out ur rear glass....cut a piece of plexi the same size and shape...and put it in there wit sealer....the rear u can do the same...i think plexiglass are pretty bendable for windows and rear windshield.....i dont; know about the front tho....or the door windows

Halfwit
12-05-2006, 10:59 PM
just take out ur rear glass....cut a piece of plexi the same size and shape...and put it in there wit sealer....the rear u can do the same...i think plexiglass are pretty bendable for windows and rear windshield.....i dont; know about the front tho....or the door windows
yeah its bendable, but im not bolting it in, it has to be molded and bent to stay by itself,

hell it aint worth actuall having to research it, damn i thought someone would know, guess ill jsut have to keep the 4 lbs of weight, damnit.

HiPSI
12-06-2006, 09:29 AM
yes you can bake it, just make sure to run it at a low heat and keep an eye on it. i've baked/shaped plexi rods to make various bits and it works well you just have to heat it slowly and keep direct radiant heat off of it (set it on a low shelf in the oven). direct heat beating on it will cause it to bubble/turn white.

for a release agent the PAM idea isn't bad actually, but i'd do a test piece to make sure it doesn't do something to the surface of the plexi under heat.

Halfwit
12-06-2006, 09:46 AM
yes you can bake it, just make sure to run it at a low heat and keep an eye on it. i've baked/shaped plexi rods to make various bits and it works well you just have to heat it slowly and keep direct radiant heat off of it (set it on a low shelf in the oven). direct heat beating on it will cause it to bubble/turn white.

for a release agent the PAM idea isn't bad actually, but i'd do a test piece to make sure it doesn't do something to the surface of the plexi under heat.
thank you.