PDA

View Full Version : Gun crew: Check in

PhAtBoYMr2
12-04-2006, 09:09 PM
So im looking to purchase my first pistol, My friend has a glock 23 and 17, i like the way the glocks feel but because he already has 2 im looking into something different....Heres the one im looking at..

Ruger KP89D P-89 9mm
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/13465.jpg

a couple more questions

-how long does the process take to get a concealed weapons permit
- If i buy the gun and register under my name can i keep it in my car without permit?
- Is it true that silencers are illegal in the U.S?

thanks.

Crazy Asian
12-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Uh ya silenecers are illegal. Some ppl make em illegally or some can actually make one. From what I heard you really need to be close to some gunshop owner like extremely close to possibley find a silencer.

Echonova
12-04-2006, 09:20 PM
I recommend the H&K USP .45 auto......nice. Takes a couple weeks to get your permit after you apply, you can keep the gun in your car as long as it is in plain site and you inform the officer as he approaches the car. Yes silencers are illegal in the U.S. unless you have a special permit for them, fat chance on that one.

quickdodgeŽ
12-04-2006, 09:23 PM
-how long does the process take to get a concealed weapons permit
- If i buy the gun and register under my name can i keep it in my car without permit?
- Is it true that silencers are illegal in the U.S?

thanks.

1. Depends on your county of residence. When I lived in Jonesboro, it took 10 months to hear back and still never got one. I moved to Rockdale and had my CCW in 2 months. Gwinnett is fairly quick. Usually a 2-3 month turn-around.

2. You can keep your gun in your car without any form of permit. But it has to be out in plain view, like on your passenger seat. It can be hidden in either your glovebox or center console.

3. I believe they are illegal. Later, QD.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/quickdodge/plugcopy.jpg

PhAtBoYMr2
12-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Word. Im probaly going to try and make it out to the range this weekend and see what i can get my hands on . I guess i can file for my permit at the gun store or do i have to go through a court to do it?

Seymour222
12-04-2006, 09:26 PM
You can obtain a permit to own a silencer for each specific firearm. Each permit corresponds to each firearm.

Crazy Asian
12-04-2006, 09:27 PM
gun shop and they can get your permit

PhAtBoYMr2
12-04-2006, 09:30 PM
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/Carbon15/Images/AZ9-C15R16FT.jpg

Id like to get one of these but i dont think this will fit my glove box.....lol

Evil Goat
12-04-2006, 09:33 PM
gun shop and they can get your permit

possible misinformation.....gun shops cant get you a concealed permit....that can only be done through your county courthouse/sherrifs office, whatever, mine took about 2 weeks to come back, total cost of about $45

all the info you will need...

http://www.packing.org/state/georgia/

quickdodgeŽ
12-04-2006, 09:33 PM
I guess i can file for my permit at the gun store or do i have to go through a court to do it?

If you mean the carry concealed license, you go to the courthouse and the sheriff's office. Later, QD.

Crazy Asian
12-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Im mean gun shops for you gun license...for permits for concealed I have no clue now i know.

Blitanicle99
12-04-2006, 09:44 PM
My buddy took ten months to get his.

Brady
12-04-2006, 10:06 PM
silencers or "suppresors" are not illegal. Carry a different few dependent on each gun as to what "liscence" you need for each weapon. For instance for a walther p22 my buddy paid $680 and waited almost a year to get his suppresor.

as far as a CCW permit...courthouse. they say 8 weeks but can take up to 5 or 6 depending on where you live. In Monticello the turn around time was 5 weeks.

quickdodgeŽ
12-04-2006, 10:07 PM
as far as a CCW permit...courthouse.

You have to go to the sherriff's office, also. For fingerprinting. Later, QD.

Fast Shadow
12-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Suppressors are legal in some states including GA. In order to purchase one you need to get a letter from the CLEO of your city or county (I forget which) and fill out some forms for the ATF. The whole process can take a long time.

Personally I would go Glock, I've owned a G17 and to me it was not so much a gun as an appliance - it's not pretty, it's not fancy, but it will fire every single time you pull the trigger. I've also owned a Sig P226 in .40 S/W, a H/K USP Tactical in .45 ACP an H/K Mk23 SOCOM in .45 USP, and a Springfield XD9. The H/Ks are badass looking guns that shoot like a dream but they're so fucking complicated. You need a degree in rocket science to detail strip one. Meanwhile you can detail strip a Glock like it's nothing. They're simple and effective. I hated the Sig, I thought it was topheavy and unnatural. Some people love them though.

Another thing about Glock is their factory is in Smyrna, if you ever have a problem you can take your gun right over there and they'll usually fix it for you on the spot.

Brady
12-04-2006, 10:09 PM
You have to go to the sherriff's office, also. For fingerprinting. Later, QD.
true but they tell you that once you get to the courthouse

Bballjamal
12-04-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm a Sig, Ruger, and Glock fan! Go for it!

changaroo
12-04-2006, 10:19 PM
get a .45 :P feels much better than a 9 when you shoot it!

gun laws in GA are wayy to lax. my friend picked up an sk at a gunshow for $240 a few weekends ago.

PhAtBoYMr2
12-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Suppressors are legal in some states including GA. In order to purchase one you need to get a letter from the CLEO of your city or county (I forget which) and fill out some forms for the ATF. The whole process can take a long time.

Personally I would go Glock, I've owned a G17 and to me it was not so much a gun as an appliance - it's not pretty, it's not fancy, but it will fire every single time you pull the trigger. I've also owned a Sig P226 in .40 S/W, a H/K USP Tactical in .45 ACP an H/K Mk23 SOCOM in .45 USP, and a Springfield XD9. The H/Ks are badass looking guns that shoot like a dream but they're so fucking complicated. You need a degree in rocket science to detail strip one. Meanwhile you can detail strip a Glock like it's nothing. They're simple and effective. I hated the Sig, I thought it was topheavy and unnatural. Some people love them though.

Another thing about Glock is their factory is in Smyrna, if you ever have a problem you can take your gun right over there and they'll usually fix it for you on the spot.

Thanks man, i'LL defintly take that into consideration. my friend has 2, there very light and practical. I like the way it feels and were gonna fire a couple rounds from it this weekend. Everyone has a glock so that would probaly lead me into not buying one but i dunno we'll see..

the right to bare arms is a great right, I guess its better to have one and not need it, then to need one and not have it. :ninja:

BTLFED
12-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Since this has been brought up, I am going to get my CWP soon and I was looking at .40 cal's (Owned a 9mm back in the day, want something bigger now but not a hand cannon like a Desert Eagle). I am unsure as to which one I want. Thoughts anyone?

RandomGuy
12-04-2006, 10:29 PM
it takes like 2-3 months to get ur CCW, depends on where you live

you can carry your gun in your car without CCW, just have to have it unloaded and the ammo has to be out of reach distance.

You can get a silencer, theres a bunch of shops on buford highway that carry them, you need a class III weapons permit.

RandomGuy
12-04-2006, 10:29 PM
my friend picked up an sk at a gunshow for $240 a few weekends ago.
you can walk into a lot of stores and walk out with a cheap AK for around that price.

Brady
12-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Since this has been brought up, I am going to get my CWP soon and I was looking at .40 cal's (Owned a 9mm back in the day, want something bigger now but not a hand cannon like a Desert Eagle). I am unsure as to which one I want. Thoughts anyone?
1. go to a range
2. rent and shoot several different guns
3. buy the one you are most comfortable using

or a springfield 1911. :goodjob:

ShooterMcGavin
12-04-2006, 10:30 PM
glock is never a bad gun, just make sure u know what ur doin (only safety u got is ur finger).

PhAtBoYMr2
12-04-2006, 10:31 PM

but the desert eagles are sooo nice...and .50 cal...

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/small_arms/desert_eagle/desert_eagle.gif

ShooterMcGavin
12-04-2006, 10:32 PM
my first was a 9mm as well and i keep that in my house now, i keep my .40 around me and opted to go for the glock23, not too big, not too small and the kick is still very much bearable. give it a shot if ur in the market for a carry.

Brady
12-04-2006, 10:32 PM
but the desert eagles are sooo nice...and .50 cal...

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/small_arms/desert_eagle/desert_eagle.gif

yeah my buddy has a baby deagle in chrome and a big daddy eagle in blued finish...oh so heavy and gorgeous and heavy.

Jaimecbr900
12-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Alright some of you guys are giving out terrible information. This is a situation in which you can find legal ramifications, so please look up things before you opinionate.

With that said, Mark:

#1. The Ruger is a very dependable and reliable gun. It is also cost effective. Not a bad choice, although pound for pound compared to the Glock I'd give the Glock the nod. It is very reliable, it is very accurate, and it is very dependable. Both are great guns, so you can't go wrong either way.

#2. In the state of Georgia, you can carry a handgun w/o permit if you are over 21/not a felon/and you do so in an open and exposed manner in 3 places: car, home, and business.

#3. There is no such thing as a gun license. It's called a CCW, or Concealed Carry Permit. In order to obtain one, you just apply and wait your turn. You have to go to the court and apply, usually the same court where you get marriage licenses. You then get your fingerprint cards done, usually at the local sheriff's dept or police dept. Turn around time is usually a couple of months because you have to get both a state and federal background check. The latter usually takes longest.

#4. IF you get one, it allows you to carry CONCEALED and on your person outside of the 3 places listed above, but NOT at any place where it is clearly marked as "not allowed" (ie. there's usually a sign at the front door prohibiting bare feet, dogs, and WEAPONS). There are also certain additional restrictions such as sporting events, government buildings, banks, school functions or schools, and anywhere were alcohol is allowed to be consumed ON the premises. Oddly enough that means you can technically carry into a liquor store, yet not a bar. Go figure.

#5. Suppressors are legal in GA, but you require a special ATF permit.

#6. If you want to decide on what gun to buy, go to your local gun range and rent as many as you feel comfortable with. It's cheap and you can put it back if it sucks.

#7. Pick a gun first depending on what it's intended use is and second on caliber. Too often people want the biggest caliber because they have a dirty harry male testosterone complex, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a flying ashtray fired out of a .50 cal. Too often they wuss out and pick a tiny tiny caliber that only pisses someone off when you hit them with it.

#8. Whatever gun you go with practice practice practice. 2 to the chest and 1 to the head always trump a spraying uzi from some gangsta wannabe.

:goodjob:

Thank you come again. :D

Fast Shadow
12-04-2006, 10:43 PM
All questions about CCW can be answered here - www.packing.org

The one thing about range guns is they're often treated like shit so they don't represent what a gun's like if it's taken care of. I rented a Walther P22 a while back and I hated it because it jammed almost every other round - the cartridges would jam would the nose would hit the feed ramp and stop rather than slide into the chamber. I tried another one later that was owned by someone who took care of it and I loved it.

Jaimecbr900
12-04-2006, 10:43 PM

.40 cal offers very good stopping power in the right loads, i.e. +P.

I have several .40's and I like them all a lot. I have a little tiny Firestar that is real easy to carry when I don't have lots of bulky clothes to tuck it under, and then I have a Glock and Barretta that can handle it if a ton of hot lead is needed.

It's a cool cartridge. :goodjob:

R.Kelly
12-05-2006, 12:52 AM
rugers are great guns......i dont own any pistols at the moment, but i have shot many many pistols, and the rugers ive shot are nice so if it feels right get it................anyways heres my guns at the moment

top 1941 Mk3 British Enfield .303 WW2 FTW
middle Marlin .30-30 lever action with Simmons 9x scope
bottom Marlin model 60 .22 semi with cheap BSA scope (just for bustin some squirrels)

SniperJoe
12-05-2006, 07:00 AM
#4. IF you get one, it allows you to carry CONCEALED and on your person outside of the 3 places listed above, but NOT at any place where it is clearly marked as "not allowed" (ie. there's usually a sign at the front door prohibiting bare feet, dogs, and WEAPONS). There are also certain additional restrictions such as sporting events, government buildings, banks, school functions or schools, and anywhere were alcohol is allowed to be consumed ON the premises. Oddly enough that means you can technically carry into a liquor store, yet not a bar. Go figure.

Jaime, this is not necessarily true:

A "No Firearms" sign on a private business does not mean anything. If you carry into the business, they simply ask you to leave. If the police arrive and you still refuse to leave you can be charged with criminal trespass. You keep your permit even if convicted.
However, some "public gatherings" (and any of the above areas off-limits) such as a county hospital or the post office may have signs posted to inform you they are off-limits. You probably will lose your permit for several years if convicted.

So, just because you see a sign does not mean it is or isn't off-limits and just because you don't see a sign does not mean it is or isn't off-limits.

con
12-05-2006, 07:09 AM
wow, how things change........got my concealed license in 2002 from Clayton Co. in less than 2 weeks and only cost me $12.......and this license has saved me from additional charges during an accused street racing trip to Henrico........the supporting officer was ecstatic to find my handgun until his partner told him it was both registered and I had a concealed permit. his jaw dropped in disgust......

I highly encourage anyone that owns a handgun and has no felonies to seriously get one A.S.A.P.

Uh hmmm..........Ahmonrah.............what's your status??? :goodjob:

civic95
12-05-2006, 07:19 AM

I like my S&W. Never jams, strips easy, and it's affordable. Paid around $300 with a case, and extra mag.
http://www.policeguide.com/sw40ve.jpg

PhAtBoYMr2
12-05-2006, 07:21 AM
I like my S&W. Never jams, strips easy, and it's affordable. Paid around $300 with a case, and extra mag.
http://www.policeguide.com/sw40ve.jpg

damn thats nice, where did you get it for such a cheap ass price?

SniperJoe
12-05-2006, 07:45 AM
This is my carry gun:

Hi-Power
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/fn_hp_sasfs.jpg

civic95
12-05-2006, 07:49 AM
damn thats nice, where did you get it for such a cheap ass price?

At a local gun show. They have them all the time, and most vendors at each show sell these cause they are so popular.

dkmesa350z
12-05-2006, 08:07 AM
I believe you must have a permit to keep in your car.
Silencer ehh? Planning to use it in an urban environment.

I would also look at the Sig P226. Very nice pistol

R.Kelly
12-05-2006, 08:16 AM
the other day when i was talkin to the workers at the local gun store were tellin me that some of the areas you aren't allowed to carry guns into, even if you have a permit, are churches, courthouses, some public places like (this is the example they used) the Ga dome, etc

Ruiner
12-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Uh ya silenecers are illegal. Some ppl make em illegally or some can actually make one. From what I heard you really need to be close to some gunshop owner like extremely close to possibley find a silencer.

Umm, no, they aren't illegal.

You can legally purchase them from a class III dealer. They run the price of a silencer plus a $200 tax stamp.

Ruiner
12-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Im mean gun shops for you gun license...for permits for concealed I have no clue now i know.

You don't need a "license" to own a pistol in the state of GA.

Ruiner
12-05-2006, 10:29 AM
it takes like 2-3 months to get ur CCW, depends on where you live

you can carry your gun in your car without CCW, just have to have it unloaded and the ammo has to be out of reach distance.

You can get a silencer, theres a bunch of shops on buford highway that carry them, you need a class III weapons permit.

Really? :???::???::???:

(d)
This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition. This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle; provided, however, that any person in possession of a valid permit issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle.

ShooterMcGavin
12-05-2006, 10:31 AM
^^^i love ppl who don't know gun laws... :rolleyes:

Ruiner
12-05-2006, 10:33 AM
I believe you must have a permit to keep in your car.
Silencer ehh? Planning to use it in an urban environment.

I would also look at the Sig P226. Very nice pistol

WRONG!

Damnit, everyone needs to STOP giving wrong information as it can have VERY serious consequences. If you *think* that something is so, MAKE SURE. I keep having to stop and correct half of you who give incorrect info!

(d) This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition. This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle; provided, however, that any person in possession of a valid permit issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle.

Ruiner
12-05-2006, 10:34 AM
^^^i love ppl who don't know gun laws... :rolleyes:

It's starting to piss me off. I *think* that you can't or I *heard* that you need...

I mean, wtf!? Stop that shit. Look it up and know for a fact!

NEONRACER
12-05-2006, 10:47 AM
This is the wrong place to ask for any kind of of information regarding firearms. There are about 5 people on here that I have ever seen speak intelligently about them.

ShooterMcGavin
12-05-2006, 10:52 AM
It's starting to piss me off. I *think* that you can't or I *heard* that you need...

lol yeah, amazing how many ppl on here have never embraced the power of google :lmfao:

hemi
12-05-2006, 10:57 AM

RIGHT! You have to be sure when talking about a gun... Cops can't take any chances. I drive a big truck and most people cannot see in my window. I asked a cop and he said that it was concealed if the officer could not see it when approaching the vehicle. That I should tell the officer, but be prepared for them to be "on guard".
It either has to be in plain sight, or locked up. Can be loaded.

Oh yeah, 40 cal Baby Eagle...:goodjob:

PhAtBoYMr2
12-05-2006, 11:08 AM
thanks for clearing all that ruiner...the info could help me from possible firearm charges in the future and i don't think anyone wants that.

R.Kelly
12-05-2006, 11:19 AM
the other day when i was talkin to the workers at the local gun store were tellin me that some of the areas you aren't allowed to carry guns into, even if you have a permit, are churches, courthouses, some public places like (this is the example they used) the Ga dome, etc

ruiner is this correct?

blare
12-05-2006, 11:25 AM
It's also called a GFL (Georgia Firearms License) and its good for about 5 years. You don't register guns in the state of GA and the law is actually pretty vague.

Places off limit include PUBLIC GATHERINGS not limited too:
churches or church functions
political rallies or functions
athletic or sporting events
publicly owned or operated buildings (pretty sure Highway rest areas fall under here. MARTA, bus stops)
establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises

Keep in mind to that everyone meeting up in a parking lot to chill might be considered a Public Gathering. The Public Gathering is a big debate among LEOs and its a hit or miss. I think one guy with a GFL was arrested in McDonald's.

blare
12-05-2006, 11:29 AM
ruiner is this correct?

Yes. Listed here 16-11-127 Section B
http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=127

Silencers and even fully automic machine guns are legal with all the right paper work and enough money/time.

R.Kelly
12-05-2006, 11:31 AM
yea the topic got brought up while i was waiting for my background check to go through....there was some article on the net about how a preacher was arrested for having a gun in church even though he was using it in his sermon

PhAtBoYMr2
12-05-2006, 11:36 AM
yea the topic got brought up while i was waiting for my background check to go through....there was some article on the net about how a preacher was arrested for having a gun in church even though he was using it in his sermon

damn a preacher? I bet that cop was thinking he's surely going to hell :lmfao:

hemi
12-05-2006, 11:40 AM

He would have been fine if he owned the church... You can carry in your own business. I used to have a bar, and I was the only one that could carry...

R.Kelly
12-05-2006, 11:45 AM
yea but the main reason they were puttin up a stink about it was b/c of his past criminal record

Ruiner
12-05-2006, 12:50 PM
ruiner is this correct?

Unfortunately, yes.

16-11-127.
(a) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1, a person is guilty of a misdemeanor when he or she carries to or while at a public gathering any explosive compound, firearm, or knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense.
(b) For the purpose of this Code section, 'public gathering' shall include, but shall not be limited to, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises. Nothing in this Code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to carry such firearm by this part.

16-11-127.2.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry, possess, or have under such persońs control while on the premises of a nuclear power facility a firearm or weapon. Any person who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

R.Kelly
12-05-2006, 12:52 PM
thanks for the info...i wish i was 21 so i could buy a pistol but all i can do now is shoot my relative's pistols, Colt 1911 Officer Edition .45 FTW, .38 S&W, etc...they are all fun though.................we should all set up a shootin range meet, who'd be down?

SixSquared
12-05-2006, 01:01 PM
My friend Lindsey knows gun laws up and down, and she has a concealed permit.. I can put you in touch with her if you like and she can definitely point you in the right direction, instead of all the "I think" and "I believe" because, as mentioned before, a cop isn't gonna care if "My friends on the forum said this was ok!".

Personally, I'm a revolver fan. Always have been.. I just like the feel... If it was a self protection issue, I wouldn't use a revolver (only 6 shots), but as far as just shooting for fun goes, my personal fave is the Colt .357 Python.. preferably the magnum if I can get my paws on it. It's a heavy ass gun, but the kick is not too bad, and for me it's just.. comfortable..

http://m4a1.net.cn/images/mpyth1.jpg

Troublemaker
12-06-2006, 12:32 AM
There is an Eastman Gun Show this weekend at the North Atlanta Trade Center(formerly the Elco Building) on Oakbrook Parkway in Norcross. check out www.eastmangunshows.com (http://www.eastmangunshows.com/), for more information. I'll check that out...maybe get some good deals on a used gun.

R.Kelly
12-06-2006, 12:34 AM
any one interested in a IA firing range meet?

TIGERJC
12-06-2006, 12:48 AM
lol, this is what will happen if ppl from ia meet up with guns - http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=30b522b054

R.Kelly
12-06-2006, 12:52 AM
it'll be fun though

RandomGuy
12-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Really? :???::???::???:

(d)
This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition. This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle; provided, however, that any person in possession of a valid permit issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle.
ok so if you're without CCW?, you can have a loaded one in your car, as long as its out in the open, or in your glove? That doesn't sound right, that defies the point of getting the CCW. Correct me.

Crazy Asian
12-06-2006, 01:15 AM
OKay...so now Ruiner clears everything up.

R.Kelly
12-06-2006, 01:17 AM
ok so if you're without CCW?, you can have a loaded one in your car, as long as its out in the open, or in your glove? That doesn't sound right, that defies the point of getting the CCW. Correct me.

how doesnt that make any sense? if it is visible its obviously not concealed and if you have your ccw you can carry it on your person

RandomGuy
12-06-2006, 01:20 AM
how doesnt that make any sense? if it is visible its obviously not concealed and if you have your ccw you can carry it on your person
so without CCW you can keep a loaded pistol in your glove? Then why do soo many people do otherwise?

R.Kelly
12-06-2006, 01:25 AM
i have no idea about the glove box thing, but i think the main reason to get a ccw is to carry it on your person

Crazy Asian
12-06-2006, 01:33 AM
You guys do know that an officer cant search your trunk or your locked glovebox only if you give them permission. I was talking to my friend who used to be with LAPD for 16 years and told me all officers need a warrant to search locked glovebox or your trunk. Only reason why you arm lengths in the car they can search but not your glovebox if it has a lock. Funny I never knew that.

RandomGuy
12-06-2006, 01:36 AM
i have no idea about the glove box thing, but i think the main reason to get a ccw is to carry it on your person
i'm not sayin that's the case ruiner usually knows his shit, but I do know of people without CCW's carrying them seperate from the ammo...

ahmonrah
12-06-2006, 06:18 AM
2. You can keep your gun in your car without any form of permit. But it has to be out in plain view, like on your passenger seat. It can be hidden in either your glovebox or center console.

3. silencers(aka suppressors),I believe they are illegal. Later, QD.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/quickdodge/plugcopy.jpg but!!!! they can be purchased, there is a weapons accesoriy maker here in GA. i'll have to re-edit this post and put their name up when i find it. and on what's highlighted in red. it's legal to have a weapon in your car w/o a permit so long as, like QD STATED: IT'S IN PLAIN VIEW ON PASSENGER SEAT. now the reason you can put it in your center console or glvoe box is due to a loophole in the law that stated YOUR CONSOLE/GLOVEBOX ARE AN EXTENSION OF YOUR HOME, AND AS SUCH, LEGAL. SINCE IT'S LEGAL TO HAVE WEAPONS AT HOME W/O NEEDING A PERMIT. god i love it!

ahmonrah
12-06-2006, 06:20 AM
You guys do know that an officer cant search your trunk or your locked glovebox only if you give them permission. I was talking to my friend who used to be with LAPD for 16 years and told me all officers need a warrant to search locked glovebox or your trunk. Only reason why you arm lengths in the car they can search but not your glovebox if it has a lock. Funny I never knew that.but with that, you can be arrested for obstruction of justice, thereby giving permission to search your vehicle by probable cause.

ahmonrah
12-06-2006, 06:40 AM
any one interested in a IA firing range meet?that'll be a great thing to do. itll be even better if this can be done on open land, wehre all weapons are permitted. i dont know of many that will allow ak/sks rifles, due to the caliber of the weapon. but i'd like to do like snail did, go to some farm and shoot varmints....

SniperJoe
12-06-2006, 07:02 AM
but with that, you can be arrested for obstruction of justice, thereby giving permission to search your vehicle by probable cause.

Not giving permission of a search of the vehicle does not constitute obstruction of justice, nor does it constitute probable cause for them to search.

ShooterMcGavin
12-06-2006, 08:21 AM
that'll be a great thing to do. itll be even better if this can be done on open land, wehre all weapons are permitted. i dont know of many that will allow ak/sks rifles, due to the caliber of the weapon. but i'd like to do like snail did, go to some farm and shoot varmints....
great idea assuming ppl showing up don't have IA internet beef w/each other...otherwise it could get messy :lmfao:

Jaimecbr900
12-06-2006, 08:24 AM
#1. Did noone see or read my post? Because I said the exact same things Ruiner said like a page before he did.

#2. Quit giving out second hand BS info to people that are asking legit questions. Let someone who KNOWS something pass that info along rather than muddy up the water with TOTALLY wrong info that only confuses people. All these wives tales are really getting on my nerves to be honest.

#3. Be proactive and search and verify all information you're given. We can damn sure google naked women and dirty jokes but you can't find what your state laws are? :thinking:

#4. Finally, a summary for all those that keep passing out stupid info:

-if NOT a felon and of legal age; you CAN "carry" a gun in 3 places: Car, home, or business.
-If you get a CCW permit, you can carry anywhere on you as long as there are no restrictions to do so by either the property owner of the property you are "carrying" in or gov't.
-There is no such thing as a gun license. There is a record of who purchased the gun IF that gun was purchased from a retailer. There is no "registration" nor "license" though.
-To get your CCW permit, you have to be over 21, not a felon, apply at the courthouse, get fingerprinted, wait for the background checks to come back, and THEN your license is issued. ETA depends on the county and their backlog.
-There are certainly restrictions on which places even a CCW holder can and cannot carry. To find out where you can't, see the links provided by Ruiner directly from our state statues.

Any more questions?

SERIOUSLY , some of you need to quit giving out heresay info because this is a subject matter that could make you end up in jail. Ignorance is NOT a viable defense. If you are old enough to buy a gun, you're old enough to find out what the laws governing that gun are. There are a couple of people on here that DO KNOW a lot about guns and related matters. PLEASE don't keep confusing people that are asking serious questions.

Jaimecbr900
12-06-2006, 08:28 AM
that'll be a great thing to do. itll be even better if this can be done on open land, wehre all weapons are permitted. i dont know of many that will allow ak/sks rifles, due to the caliber of the weapon. but i'd like to do like snail did, go to some farm and shoot varmints....

There are ranges locally that have a rifle side which allows for long guns to be fired. Bullseye in Lawrenceville does. That's where I used to sight in my scope before hunting season. If it can stop my 30-06, it can handle the 7.62 for sure. :goodjob:

Ruiner
12-06-2006, 08:55 AM

Not really.

...provided, however, that any person in possession of a valid permit issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle.

No permit means you are restricted. If you have a CCW, you aren't when in your vehicle. People get their CCW so that they can carry it on them outside of the car. They don't really get their CCW for "in car carry" rights.

Ruiner
12-06-2006, 08:57 AM
i'm not sayin that's the case ruiner usually knows his shit, but I do know of people without CCW's carrying them seperate from the ammo...

I just quoted you the official GA code. It's there in plain black and white. I didn't touch it.

Jaimecbr900
12-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Some of you would actually be very surprised to know just how many people are carrying at any given time. :screwy:

hemi
12-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Some of you would actually be very surprised to know just how many people are carrying at any given time. :screwy:

I second this...:ninja:

NEONRACER
12-06-2006, 09:36 AM
If you can legally own a handgun you can get a CCW. Just get the damn permit and you don't have to worry about whether you can carry it loaded in your car or not without one.

If there was an IA range day I would want to be at the range with like 5 of the guys on this board, I wouldn't trust the rest of you just based on the comments that have been made. Also just because you can talk about guns does not mean you should own one. lol

ShooterMcGavin
12-06-2006, 09:40 AM
:stupid:

ahmonrah
12-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Not giving permission of a search of the vehicle does not constitute obstruction of justice, nor does it constitute probable cause for them to search.really? i've had a cop threaten me wit harrest for not giving permission for a search. he said some bullshit like that (cobb county) not that i do anything illegal that would constitute a search, i didnt feel like him goin through my shit and delaying my ass any longer that he already did, jst pulling me over.

ShooterMcGavin
12-06-2006, 09:45 AM
really? i've had a cop threaten me wit harrest for not giving permission for a search. he said some bullshit like that (cobb county) not that i do anything illegal that would constitute a search, i didnt feel like him goin through my shit and delaying my ass any longer that he already did, jst pulling me over.
cops threaten ppl w/all kinds of bullshit in an attempt to get their way, didn't you see that video that the aclu put out about ppl's rights when being confronted by police?

SniperJoe
12-06-2006, 10:22 AM
really? i've had a cop threaten me wit harrest for not giving permission for a search. he said some bullshit like that (cobb county) not that i do anything illegal that would constitute a search, i didnt feel like him goin through my shit and delaying my ass any longer that he already did, jst pulling me over.

Yep, really. The Supreme Court made that decision in United States v. Fuentes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consent_searches

It is actually dangerous to give a police officer consent to search, as a consent search has no boundaries on what the officer is looking for or where he can look. When a police officer gets a warrant, he or she first has to establish probable cause for the judge, then the warrant limits the officer in what they can look for and where. When you surrender your Fourth Amendment rights, you give the officer limitless power.

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/colb/20050518.html

Jaimecbr900
12-06-2006, 10:33 AM
If you can legally own a handgun you can get a CCW. Just get the damn permit and you don't have to worry about whether you can carry it loaded in your car or not without one.

If there was an IA range day I would want to be at the range with like 5 of the guys on this board, I wouldn't trust the rest of you just based on the comments that have been made. Also just because you can talk about guns does not mean you should own one. lol

Well said, and I totally agree.

We'd probably end up on the 6 o'clock news with some wannabe holding a gun sideways and shooting somebody's foot off..... :screwy: :lmfao:

Ruiner
12-06-2006, 11:02 AM

Heh, no. He needs probable cause.

TeeJay
12-06-2006, 11:14 AM
CHECKIN IN, WHO THE FUCK WANTS IT??

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/timbo1380/soakerdevastator800.jpg

TeeJay
12-06-2006, 11:15 AM
I GOT THAT BACKPACK FOR YO ASS

ShooterMcGavin
12-06-2006, 11:23 AM
wtf? :thinking:

TeeJay
12-06-2006, 11:24 AM
wtf? :thinking:
SUPER SOAKER, I MAKE IT RAIN BITCHES

TeeJay
12-06-2006, 11:25 AM
FROM 30 FT AWAY OMG

R.Kelly
12-06-2006, 11:28 AM
ok back on topic: where could we possibly have an IA firing range meet? theres a range in dekalb but its only open on friday and i believe theres one in athens but i dont know if it allows rifles

ShooterMcGavin
12-06-2006, 11:34 AM
FROM 30 FT AWAY OMG

dude, u are retarded...:screwy:

ShooterMcGavin
12-06-2006, 11:35 AM
ok back on topic: where could we possibly have an IA firing range meet? theres a range in dekalb but its only open on friday and i believe theres one in athens but i dont know if it allows rifles

ed's off of canton rd in marietta also has a rifle range :goodjob:

R.Kelly
12-06-2006, 11:42 AM
when are they open? And also lets get a count of how many people would be interested in a day at the firing range?

TeeJay
12-06-2006, 11:42 AM
dude, u are retarded...:screwy:
why are you so uptight?? relax man, its the internet, the whoreslounge at that :goodjob:

ShooterMcGavin
12-06-2006, 11:46 AM
when are they open? And also lets get a count of how many people would be interested in a day at the firing range?
i've forgotten, haven't been in a while. we've had mini IA meets there though, i've gone and shot w/like 3 or 4 others before.

ShooterMcGavin
12-06-2006, 11:46 AM
why are you so uptight?? relax man, its the internet, the whoreslounge at that :goodjob:
i'm not uptight, you're just retarded ;) :goodjob:

TeeJay
12-06-2006, 11:48 AM
i'm not uptight, you're just retarded ;) :goodjob:
u still in the market for a phone man?? i got one bout to go on IA and carolinahondas, thought id give a fellow retard the early bird special

ShooterMcGavin
12-06-2006, 11:49 AM
u still in the market for a phone man?? i got one bout to go on IA and carolinahondas, thought id give a fellow retard the early bird special
lol, preciate u lookin out man but i'm straight :goodjob:

TeeJay
12-06-2006, 11:49 AM
ok cool

hemi
12-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Just to add to this thread...

I am in the market for a pistol... PM me if you got something