PDA

View Full Version : battery in trunk rule at the track?

dartingd
06-07-2005, 04:07 PM
a friend told me that i need a kill switch in my car since i have the battery in the trunk...is this true? need to know for tunerfest...92 accord w/ h22 btw if that matters at all...

green91
06-07-2005, 04:13 PM
you must have an external kill switch for the battery if its relocated

JITB
06-07-2005, 04:27 PM
dam..didnt know this..

Evolution Autodesign
06-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Really? I've been at Commerce multiple times, and Bristol w/ my battery in the trunk. The tech guys didn't care. All they made sure of was that the battery was actually bolted down and separate from the cabin.

HiPSI
06-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Really? I've been at Commerce multiple times, and Bristol w/ my battery in the trunk. The tech guys didn't care. All they made sure of was that the battery was actually bolted down and separate from the cabin.

ditto

Tracy
06-07-2005, 09:56 PM

HAY!!!! HI!!!!!

JITB
06-08-2005, 12:53 AM
I went to tunerfest last year, and i spent 1 hour tryin to find a auto zone, and install a battery tie down so i could run. There was about 3 other peeps there as well doin the same thing. so u dont need the kill switch?

Z33_kid
06-08-2005, 01:12 AM
yep...

dartingd
06-08-2005, 06:27 AM
how much are they and how hard to install? where does it need to be installed?

A.P. Photography
06-08-2005, 07:35 AM
According to NHRA guidlines or rules it says this

If you do choose to mount the battery in the trunk, it must be mounted to the frame or frame structure with a minimum of two 3/8-inch diameter bolts and a metal hold-down strap. The supplied J-hooks are not allowed. Also, the battery must be completely sealed from the driver compartment. This means a bulkhead must separate the trunk from the driver compartment. The battery can also be located in a sealed metal box, constructed of a minimum of .024-inch-thick steel or .032-inch-thick aluminum.

Any car with a relocated battery must be equipped with a master electrical cutoff capable of stopping all electrical functions, including ignition. In other words, if somebody hits the master switch, it must shut off the engine as well as the fuel pumps and so on. The switch must be located on the rear of the vehicle, with the off position clearly marked. If the switch is a push-pull type, push must be the motion that shuts off the switch. Plastic or keyed-type switches are prohibited.
Maybe the tech guys have their own set of rules :dunno:

dartingd
06-08-2005, 10:51 AM
sounds like too much work...

green91
06-08-2005, 11:40 AM
not if you need the space where the battery is in the engine compartment

Evolution Autodesign
06-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Last year my Maxima ran at Tunerfest w/ the battery in the trunk and no kill switch, also at Bristol. The tech guys just tried to move the battery around to make sure it was secure. The NHRA rules do say you need one, but maybe when it's just open session the tech guys don't care.

I went to tunerfest last year, and i spent 1 hour tryin to find a auto zone, and install a battery tie down so i could run. There was about 3 other peeps there as well doin the same thing. so u dont need the kill switch?

Five*Star*
06-08-2005, 04:19 PM
According to NHRA guidlines or rules it says this

If you do choose to mount the battery in the trunk, it must be mounted to the frame or frame structure with a minimum of two 3/8-inch diameter bolts and a metal hold-down strap. The supplied J-hooks are not allowed. Also, the battery must be completely sealed from the driver compartment. This means a bulkhead must separate the trunk from the driver compartment. The battery can also be located in a sealed metal box, constructed of a minimum of .024-inch-thick steel or .032-inch-thick aluminum.

Any car with a relocated battery must be equipped with a master electrical cutoff capable of stopping all electrical functions, including ignition. In other words, if somebody hits the master switch, it must shut off the engine as well as the fuel pumps and so on. The switch must be located on the rear of the vehicle, with the off position clearly marked. If the switch is a push-pull type, push must be the motion that shuts off the switch. Plastic or keyed-type switches are prohibited.
Maybe the tech guys have their own set of rules :dunno:

Couldn't have said it better myself.....

Barnett performance in ATL has all the necessary parts to do a NHRA safe job.

404 522-1320

and, I can do the install for anyone that needs this kind of work done.

404 452-7691

Michael

sirhatch1030
06-08-2005, 05:26 PM
i was there last weekend and you do have to have a visable cut of switch on the out side r u cant run at all .i know because i dident get to run last weekend at commerce.

dartingd
06-08-2005, 05:37 PM
i have the battery in the trunk due to space issues under the hood...guess it's time to buy a switch!

HiPSI
06-08-2005, 10:46 PM
depends on who's running the event... to run an NHRA sanctioned event you do have to have the kill switch. i don't believe the NHRA will be doing tunerfest, just like fast fridays. i've been to numerous fast fridays with the 240 and it's relocated with a battery try that has J hooks and wingnuts and a metal crossbar for a tiedown. it's very secure and that's all they've ever looked for.

dartingd
06-09-2005, 10:48 AM
where can you buy the switch?

A.P. Photography
06-09-2005, 11:11 AM
where can you buy the switch?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/rebco5.htm

sirhatch1030
06-09-2005, 07:55 PM
tou can get the switch at barnnet.

JITB
06-09-2005, 09:51 PM
meh..i aint buying one unless i NEED it.. ill just buy a Box, so my trunk will stop giving off those crazy fumes...lol