PDA

View Full Version : General Automatic tranny question

Stormhammer
12-03-2006, 08:50 AM
okay - say youhave an older car ( 1988 to be exact ) and its in Park and you go and put it into Reverse, it does a kidna pause then you hear a big CLUNK! Why is that? UV joint?

Turbodude06
12-03-2006, 09:11 AM
sounds like the tranny is going out or you don't have enough fluid in it..

§treet_§peed
12-03-2006, 09:31 AM
^ good point.... could be a stalled tranny as well, could possibley get it rebuilt, but eh...flywheel could be chipped and/or broken a little...could be a lot of different things bro

Stormhammer
12-03-2006, 10:05 AM
hmm, I was thinkin about fluid. Just checkin ahead of time cause I'm about to bring a BMW to a mechanic to get it checked out ( this is a car I'm looking into buying )

Mpatient
12-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Most likely fluid, but it could be a dirty tranny filter also. does it do it in the other gears as well or just reverse???

Stormhammer
12-03-2006, 11:09 AM
trannies have a filter??? When was this?!

Z U L8R
12-03-2006, 07:52 PM
auto trannies have filters, honda's we just drain and fill though. bmw's typically have gm transmissions, some of them have a green sticker that says LIFETIME FLUID and they don't recommend you change it, we have before it's just regular dexron/mercon 3. definately sounds like it's taking a long time for the shift solenoid to enguage with the source what they said low on fluid or dirty filter. more than likely even if you isolate the problem....unless it's a tranny mount which still wouldn't make it take a second to enguage in reverse...it sounds like that trannies on it's way out the door, so see what a replacement's gonna cost before you shell out the cash for this car with problems in half of the powertrain.