PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Import 240SX NOOB!

BarnDog296
06-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Alright guys, im just clocking in. Ive never been a part of a car group before (was never in a city that had a good one) and im really looking to get out there and be a part of this thing. Im new to the area (only been here 7 months) and im looking to meet some new people (its hard as hell in this city to meet ppl)
Im working on my 93 240SX ALL the time, i wish i could do a Dyno with it and tune it right. It has a couple problems, but Im hoping that there are people in here that know what they are doing and can help me out a little.
Check out my car @ Car Domain (http://www.cardomain.com/profile/barndog296) im sure everyone has one up there by now, its a good place to get ideas :blah: :blah: :blah:

E-mail me! ([email protected]) IM me at BarnDog296 or PM me, ill be around :idb:

Shawna
06-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Welcome!!! :goodjob: I love 240s!

PSINXS
06-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Welcome!! I got a 91 240sx with an blacktop sr20. I'll let u check it out sometime.

99ITRGIRL
06-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Hey, welcome to IA!!

quickdodgeŽ
06-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Welcome. Later, QD.

kutepunkprincess
06-07-2005, 01:01 PM
welcome :)

Z33_kid
06-07-2005, 01:05 PM
welcome got any pics of ur 240 ?

auxiliary
06-07-2005, 10:41 PM
what's up.

240's are cool, but watch out there are a lot of dumb asses that are all involved in the drifter trend.

hope you enjoy your 240, any plans for it?

sir2hb
06-07-2005, 10:45 PM
welcome got any pics of ur 240 ?

Welcome
and the pics are proably in his cardomine

BarnDog296
06-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Ive got TONS of plans for my 240, i do like the drifter thing, but im more into dragging i think. I want to keep my KA engine, b/c its more suited for that the the SR. I also really dont want to go through that many tires... I just put on some Yokohama Avid V4s and they are AMAZING! and expensive... I wouldnt want to burn them out on Drifting... Also they dont drift well at all. I would LOVE to get a turbo on it and port the engine. Its just alot of money, especially for someone who JUST moved to Atlanta, im still trying to get my feet wet here. But im ALWAYS open to comments and help.

1439/2000
06-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Ive got TONS of plans for my 240, i do like the drifter thing, but im more into dragging i think. I want to keep my KA engine, b/c its more suited for that the the SR. I also really dont want to go through that many tires... I just put on some Yokohama Avid V4s and they are AMAZING! and expensive... I wouldnt want to burn them out on Drifting... Also they dont drift well at all. I would LOVE to get a turbo on it and port the engine. Its just alot of money, especially for someone who JUST moved to Atlanta, im still trying to get my feet wet here. But im ALWAYS open to comments and help.

God you sound so new.

Ka is better than sr for dragging. Oh because it has .4 more displacment.

Turbo your KA and lets see what happens.

br3nn0n
06-14-2005, 02:19 PM
welcome, welcome! i gots me a 240, too! i love them and love driving them!

PSINXS
06-14-2005, 02:41 PM
yeah u will spend more money building a ka to handle boost than swapping in an sr. actually our cars are more sutied for the ca18 and sr20. thats what they were originally offered in japan. u need research.

CMO
06-14-2005, 03:16 PM
yeah u will spend more money building a ka to handle boost than swapping in an sr. actually our cars are more sutied for the ca18 and sr20. thats what they were originally offered in japan. u need research.

You will spend more swapping in the sr20 than you will boosting the ka. Now if you say that you can swap the sr20 in yourself and save on labor. Then the same person can boost the ka cheaper than swapping in an sr20. Now if your looking for 350hp or less then there is no need to build the ka just get a good tune. But if your gonna go for more than 350 then you should build the motor. But most people that I've seen with sr20 swaps have stock motors. And they didn't do the work themselves so they's spent way more swapping in a sr20 to get the same power that boosting the ka would have got them.

PSINXS
06-14-2005, 03:30 PM
u can turbo anything. i said to handle boost. u will put more money in internals to make that motor last than u would an sr. u will need to upgrade any ka as most have high mileage. go ahead and boost it. and run it daily. its gotta to shit out on you. about 3 grand to swap in an sr. 2000 for clip and 1000 for labor. take 3k for a turbo kit for a ka pus what u need to make it hold up. and i kow plenty of ppl with sr's that arent stock. most i see arent.

CMO
06-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Now if you add the cost of building the motor then yeah it goes up past a sr20 swap. There are plenty of people that have boosted 100,000 mile ka's and have ran them around 300-350hp for yrs. Now if you start modding the sr20 then your adding cost which makes the price go up on the over all swap. Whan I say stock sr20's I mean stock turbo with a smic. Lets say you add a front mount. If you buy a intercooler kit it's gonna be atleast $600. THen you still have to get a bov. Now for the same $600 you can buy internals for the ka and get 400+hp out of it. Really it boils down to what you like more.

1439/2000
06-19-2005, 02:20 AM
Now if you add the cost of building the motor then yeah it goes up past a sr20 swap. There are plenty of people that have boosted 100,000 mile ka's and have ran them around 300-350hp for yrs. Now if you start modding the sr20 then your adding cost which makes the price go up on the over all swap. Whan I say stock sr20's I mean stock turbo with a smic. Lets say you add a front mount. If you buy a intercooler kit it's gonna be atleast $600. THen you still have to get a bov. Now for the same $600 you can buy internals for the ka and get 400+hp out of it. Really it boils down to what you like more.

Huh? And you're not going to intercool the ka? You still have to spend that money on an intercooler bov and internals.

KAs have their strong sides and they also have big weak sides.

FDslider
06-19-2005, 04:32 AM
And don't let anyone fool you with that bullshit ass excuse about why a KA is better for bost than an SR....... "the KA has an iron block, so it can handle more boost! Not like an SR, with a weak aluminum block." I have had an SR for 2 and a half years now. Still runs just as great as it did the first day I fired it up. And then I have the KA graveyard. Trust when I tell you that a rod can come through that IRON block (I gots the proof for you!!!).hehehehe

BarnDog296
06-21-2005, 09:01 AM
lol,
sry, i said anything, As anyone can tell from reading this post, its all about preference. What you think you can do yourself, and what you would have to pay for in labor. I really prefer the KA-T.
Also, I read a thread somewhere that said that SR werent street legal, is that right?

Kermit
06-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Welcome, enjoy your stay.

silviadriftr
06-21-2005, 10:30 AM
welcome!! As for the sr or ka, everyone knows what I prefer(sr). And I will say from experience, I have seen way more ka's with rods sticking out of a big hole in the block than sr's. And when you consider the possibility of putting down 600whp on a full stock bottom end sr, why not? :)

nightracer
06-21-2005, 08:06 PM
That is not true. I can make 225rwhp on a KA-T before cheaper than it costs you to buy an SR and get it to the same power levels. If you blow you're motor, you're either buying internals or a whole new motor. I can buy 20 KA's before you buy one SR. With similar flow characteristics and .4L more of displacement, lots of available parts, similar-lower costs, I don't see why more people aren't staying KA.

CMO
06-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Huh? And you're not going to intercool the ka? You still have to spend that money on an intercooler bov and internals.

KAs have their strong sides and they also have big weak sides.

When I was talking about a turbo kit fot he KA an intercooler was included in the price. You can buy a kit with and intercooler for about the same price as an sr20 swap. What is a big weak side of a ka?

silviadriftr
06-21-2005, 08:58 PM
That is not true. I can make 225rwhp on a KA-T before cheaper than it costs you to buy an SR and get it to the same power levels. If you blow you're motor, you're either buying internals or a whole new motor. I can buy 20 KA's before you buy one SR. With similar flow characteristics and .4L more of displacement, lots of available parts, similar-lower costs, I don't see why more people aren't staying KA.

This is true if you don't want to make over 240whp. And pushing stock, high mileage ka's to between 220-240whp you will replace 20ka's very easily. As for the price of parts. I haven't seen a descent pair of rods offered for the same price range as the eagle h or I beams that are offered for the sr20 motors. The cost of pistons is normally more expensive as well. And with the factory sleeved block I can make 398 without swapping the head gasket on a fully stock internal motor. Similar flow characteristics are true to a point, but the ka can't take advantage of the flow without a rod peeking it's head out of the side of the block to say :2up: :). point is I am sure You can do the same power with either motor when fully built, but for someone who wants to add bolton parts without cracking the motor open and get up to 400whp the sr is way cheaper. Just my :2cents: :)

CMO
06-21-2005, 09:03 PM
This is true if you don't want to make over 240whp. And pushing stock, high mileage ka's to between 220-240whp you will replace 20ka's very easily. As for the price of parts. I haven't seen a descent pair of rods offered for the same price range as the eagle h or I beams that are offered for the sr20 motors. The cost of pistons is normally more expensive as well. And with the factory sleeved block I can make 398 without swapping the head gasket on a fully stock internal motor. Similar flow characteristics are true to a point, but the ka can't take advantage of the flow without a rod peeking it's head out of the side of the block to say :2up: :). point is I am sure You can do the same power with either motor when fully built, but for someone who wants to add bolton parts without cracking the motor open and get up to 400whp the sr is way cheaper. Just my :2cents: :)

Well your right when it comes to getting to 400hp. But everyone that I know (again people that I have spoke to) Have built there sr20's when they got were ready to hit the 400hp mark also. To me where your going to 350-400hp on either motor it takes a good tune. But the KA needs alot better tune than an sr does. I think the problem is most people try to half ass tune the ka that's why they blow.

silviadriftr
06-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Well your right when it comes to getting to 400hp. But everyone that I know (again people that I have spoke to) Have built there sr20's when they got were ready to hit the 400hp mark also. To me where your going to 350-400hp on either motor it takes a good tune. But the KA needs alot better tune than an sr does. I think the problem is most people try to half ass tune the ka that's why they blow.

True. Very true. :)

EmotorsportsE
06-21-2005, 10:38 PM
I can vouch for the KA, I never saw a rod sticking out of the block, but I did blow ring lands, and made 236 to the wheels a 6 psi. Now you build and boost a KA, and it gets fun, screw a SR, all a KA needs is pistons, I have never seen a problem with rods. I'm for a KA-T, you'll never see me riding SR, only JDM motors for me are RB's.

Lets build them Brian, my KA, and your SR, lets see what we can do. Post it up here. My S14 is going, I have some moeny to work with. You already have a head start. 473 to my 150, how long does mine have to hold for? :)

E

nightracer
06-22-2005, 04:36 AM
You can make 350-375rwhp on a stock KA without cracking it open I've personally seen two cars do it. Its called, AEM EMS, T04E, fuel and tuning.

CP pistons makes a very good set of pistons for both the KA24E and KA24DE. Also, crower makes a very good set of rods which have seen 638rwhp on a KA so if thats not strong I don't know what is? Yes you do need a very good tune on the KA but the power is possible. Both motors have their strengths and weaknesses but the KA's tourqe with boost is just phenomenal.

Drive a 350rwhp KA-T and 350rwhp SR and you will be surprised by the outcome.

FDslider
06-22-2005, 06:28 AM
I can vouch for the KA, I never saw a rod sticking out of the block,
E

Swing by my house! I will show you one! But I do believe that the whole KA-T vs. SR battle is all about preference. I had too many problems with my NA KA that I said FUCK THE TRUCK and decided to go SR. That was 2 and a half years ago and I have not seen any problems with my SR. But on the other hand, I have seen some very remarkable KA-T's lay down some VERY SERIOUS power. Check out www.phatka-t.com or something like that.

-Brandon

silviadriftr
06-22-2005, 08:54 AM
You can make 350-375rwhp on a stock KA without cracking it open I've personally seen two cars do it. Its called, AEM EMS, T04E, fuel and tuning.

CP pistons makes a very good set of pistons for both the KA24E and KA24DE. Also, crower makes a very good set of rods which have seen 638rwhp on a KA so if thats not strong I don't know what is? Yes you do need a very good tune on the KA but the power is possible. Both motors have their strengths and weaknesses but the KA's tourqe with boost is just phenomenal.

Drive a 350rwhp KA-T and 350rwhp SR and you will be surprised by the outcome.

I haven't seen too many ka putting down those numbers unless they were rebuilt, not high mileage.

True cp does make a good piston for that motor but the Crower rods are alot more expensive than the eagle h-beam or I-beam. The statement I made previously was intended to show that parts for the KA tend to run more money than parts for the sr. Not that they didn't make a good rod for the ka.

As for the outcome of 350whp ka to 350whp sr. Been there, done that, no problem. But you know how most people like to fudge their numbers to make their cars look better. ;) The guy could have been lying, plus I was about 500-600lbs lighter and on the ka/sr trans if you don't run a clutch that slips a little at that hp you might as well drop the trans from a 20 story building and it would have the same effect. I don't run a clutch with controlled slip. I run the exedy twin plate and launch off a 7200rpm 2 step.

It's not that I dislike the ka. I have just seen too many bight the dust when anything over 10lbs is applied(rings,rods,pistons,blocks,ect..) Never said it couldn't be done, my point was that you can get more power with a fully stock sr and not have to spend 1600.00 for an ems(can't you buy an sr motorset for that price).

silviadriftr
06-22-2005, 09:07 AM
I can vouch for the KA, I never saw a rod sticking out of the block, but I did blow ring lands, and made 236 to the wheels a 6 psi. Now you build and boost a KA, and it gets fun, screw a SR, all a KA needs is pistons, I have never seen a problem with rods. I'm for a KA-T, you'll never see me riding SR, only JDM motors for me are RB's.

Lets build them Brian, my KA, and your SR, lets see what we can do. Post it up here. My S14 is going, I have some moeny to work with. You already have a head start. 473 to my 150, how long does mine have to hold for? :)

E

Well it's like I said in the previous post. Both motors, IF BUILT, can produce good horsepower. But for the money, stock to stock, a regular everyday person would be better off with the sr since it is easier to build and you don't have to do internals, or a stand alone to do 350-375whp.

You know I already have the full built bottom end ready to put in. I am just pushing the stock as far as it will go. Actually, once I get the head put back on the car with the new cams, solid lifters, and bronze guides, I want to push 600whp and leave it for a while so I can start my new coupe project. No sr,ka, or rb. :D

HiPSI
06-22-2005, 09:47 AM
my dad can beat up your dad......

it's been pretty civil so far but if everyone wants to have a ka vs. sr debate for the 2394823749237492837498234982th time then there is a proper forum for that, please get back onto the topic at hand.

welcome barndog, maybe i'll see you at an event or meet sometime.

silviadriftr
06-22-2005, 10:13 AM
my dad can beat up your dad......

it's been pretty civil so far but if everyone wants to have a ka vs. sr debate for the 2394823749237492837498234982th time then there is a proper forum for that, please get back onto the topic at hand.

welcome barndog, maybe i'll see you at an event or meet sometime.

This was his second post. I think everyone decided to take him up on his offer of comments :D

BarnDog296- Ive got TONS of plans for my 240, i do like the drifter thing, but im more into dragging i think. I want to keep my KA engine, b/c its more suited for that the the SR. I also really dont want to go through that many tires... I just put on some Yokohama Avid V4s and they are AMAZING! and expensive... I wouldnt want to burn them out on Drifting... Also they dont drift well at all. I would LOVE to get a turbo on it and port the engine. Its just alot of money, especially for someone who JUST moved to Atlanta, im still trying to get my feet wet here. But im ALWAYS open to comments and help.

Tracy
06-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Welcome. We have a 240 and we like to drift and I'm way better at drifting than HiPSI :P

Later skaters :D

Spyder
06-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Welcome. We have a 240 and we like to drift and I'm way better at drifting than HiPSI :P

Bahahhahahaahahahahahahaha *gasp* Bahahahahahahahahahahaha :D

Welcome , I think.

HiPSI
06-22-2005, 05:36 PM

well, 14 is a higher number than 13, and you guys have an S14 and i drive an S13. so tracy>HiPSI :(.

Tracy
06-22-2005, 06:26 PM
well, 14 is a higher number than 13, and you guys have an S14 and i drive an S13. so tracy>HiPSI :(.

YEP! Yu going to Turner now that car is all good? I need to test drive that car for you to make sure you are doing it right :D

BarnDog296
06-22-2005, 08:30 PM
You guys are nuts, this is absolutely the funniest post I have put up. I cant wait to meet everyone.
Im still going to stick with my KA and try to Turbo it, I currently have about 150K miles on my S13, does anyone know of any parts that normally need to be replaced at about 150K? right now my oil is leaking BAD, and I have to find that this month (hoping its just a gasket...)
Also, NO one talked about the legality of the SR. Ive read on another post that they are not legal in some states, and they were cracking down on it in CA i think. Does anyone know about this?!?! If you dont believe me, ill refind the post for you, but im lazy and dont want to, but I will if you need me to.

Anythingep3
06-22-2005, 08:43 PM
welcome.yes my second post!!! :super:

Ryno
06-22-2005, 08:47 PM
As long as the SR is tuned well and has a cat, it should pass smog making it legal.

Pablo
06-22-2005, 10:18 PM
welcome to the site

Pablo
06-22-2005, 10:18 PM
welcome to the site