PDA

View Full Version : Phone Service & DSL Problems

Mr_Mischif
11-30-2006, 07:59 AM
OK, the home phone service got turned off because I never used it, but now the DSL's gone with it!

But now I'm wondering why? I paid the DSL bill, but for some reason it won't connect! Now my mom says it's because you have to have a specific phone service, but then I thought that that would defeat the purpose of having VOIP; you know why pay for VOIP if you have to have normal phone service for your internet to work.

Comments on how I might be able to get back on the |nt4rwebs?

Dirty Octopus™
11-30-2006, 08:34 AM
dood... the DSL runs through the phone line. No Phone No DSL :headslap:
wait a minute... This was a joke right?!?
shit... i think i just got punk'd!

BRB, Ashton's Jeans :bump:

Brett
11-30-2006, 08:40 AM
You have to have phone service for DSL to work, It runs on the phone lines connection just at a different frequency so thats why you can use it while on the phone.

VOIP works usaly when people have cable modems (Thats how most people use it due to the fact they would use thier phone otherwise)

Dirty Octopus™
11-30-2006, 08:42 AM
You have to have phone service for DSL to work, It runs on the phone lines connection just at a different frequency so thats why you can use it while on the phone.

VOIP works usaly when people have cable modems (Thats how most people use it due to the fact they would use thier phone otherwise)
But.... He knew that right? :thinking:

SHit... i think i did get punk'd
:2up:

BRB, The Boostless T-shirt :yes:

Mr_Mischif
11-30-2006, 08:42 AM
I knew that DSL went through the phone lines, but I thought that you didn't have to have working phone service to get internet access since they went through different frequencies.

Rican219
11-30-2006, 04:11 PM
In all honesty DSL can function without a phone line if Bell would just do it that way. BUT they would loose their ass if they did so they tell you they require a phone line for it to work to make their Money. I have hooked up to lines that the DSL worked without phone service. Bellsouth sticking it to people thats why CABLE MODEM FTW

Nismo
11-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Am i on the Jamie Kennedy experience? This seems set up....

PRiMAdonna
11-30-2006, 05:47 PM
i've got comcast cable internet, and no landline phone. i just use my cell phone. bell south is expensive anyway.