PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Nitrous Tuning/Controlling.

JITB
06-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Looking into a 100shot, in the NEAR future..
Whats the best timing retard to use?
ANyone familiar with this?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&Ntt=jacobs+nitrous+mastermind&N=0&part=JAC%2D383806&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

Goinfasterthanu
06-09-2005, 11:43 PM
hondata

JITB
06-10-2005, 01:19 AM
*shakes fist*

Jaimecbr900
06-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Why not just run 2 step colder plugs and leave the ignition alone? I'm not too familiar with your powerplant, but isn't the timing ECU controlled? If so, colder plugs is going to be infinitely easier to deal with than that. If you really want to control the timing, have you looked into an e-manage? It's probably the most economical way to do that.

Jacobs are cool, but the mastermind is only a nitrous controller. It does nothing for the timing. It simply rations out the nitrous based on your RPMs. It's great for traction and to make sure you're at WOT before dispensing, in theory. I've heard some people who hate the Jacobs and others who love it. I've never had one myself, so I can't say for sure. NOS also makes a nitrous controller too BTW.

More than likely for what I'm guessing you're wanting to do.....just run colder plugs and call it a day.

wannab20hatch
06-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Look in to nitrous works for a system. http://www.barrygrant.com/nitrous/default.aspx i work there and if you pm me me or tell me what motor your using ill ask our nitrous tech what he thinks is the best solutuion.

JITB
06-16-2005, 12:57 AM
I will be using it on a 1.8 dohc mazda motor

silviadriftr
06-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Or you could just use rule of thumb: every 50 shot of nitrous retard 2 degrees. I've never had a problem with any of my nitrous motors using those rules up to 100 shot.

Jaimecbr900
06-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Or you could just use rule of thumb: every 50 shot of nitrous retard 2 degrees. I've never had a problem with any of my nitrous motors using those rules up to 100 shot.

Very true, but I wasn't sure if he could retard the ignition or not.

If you can retard the ignition some way, it's better than running colder plugs. If not, then you may not have many choices but that.

silviadriftr
06-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Very true, but I wasn't sure if he could retard the ignition or not.

If you can retard the ignition some way, it's better than running colder plugs. If not, then you may not have many choices but that.

Yes, that is assuming he has some way to control the ignition timing. I thought the mazda motors did though, but not sure.

JITB
06-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Yea i can turn it down...Ive got it up to 16 degrees now... The problem when i turn it down is that it makes soo much of a difference that when im not spraying the car will be alot slower. And i now if i retard it 4 degrees for the 100shot..it will be unbearable, i cant even stadn driving it at TDC...lol.

Would this be worthwhile?
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&Ntt=jacobs+nitrous+mastermind&N=0&part=JAC%2D383806&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

Jaimecbr900
06-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Yea i can turn it down...Ive got it up to 16 degrees now... The problem when i turn it down is that it makes soo much of a difference that when im not spraying the car will be alot slower. And i now if i retard it 4 degrees for the 100shot..it will be unbearable, i cant even stadn driving it at TDC...lol.

Would this be worthwhile?
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&Ntt=jacobs+nitrous+mastermind&N=0&part=JAC%2D383806&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

If you can retard it, do the timing. It will save your motor.

As I stated above, the Jacobs will control how the nitrous comes in but it will do nothing for timing. Timing will combat detonation. Detonation is what breaks things. The mastermind is basically a timed nitrous controller. It brings in the nitrous in stages to help with traction.

93H22ACX
06-28-2005, 08:24 AM
Jacob's mastermind:

NITROUS MASTERMIND - - $239
The biggest breakthrough in nitrous systems in 25 years. Nitrous Mastermind always delivers full engine protection from nitrous damage. With more consistent and lower ETs, Nitrous Mastermind fits all nitrous systems, and safely allows use of bigger nitrous systems for more safe, usable horsepower. Attractive high-tech design, Judged by Car Craft as "One of the best new products."

Prevents 4 deadly ways nitrous can destroy your motor:
1. Burned pistons: Saves your engine by automatically shutting off the nitrous in 1/100th of a second when fuel pressure fails.

2. Nitrous detonation: Switches in a retard timing curve only when nitrous is flowing.

3. Over-revving: Stops flow of nitrous 50 rpm before limiting the spark, preventing exhaust system damage. 4. Over-torquing: Prevents nitrous flow at too low an rpm, even if you accidentally activate it at idle.

Sport1.3
07-05-2005, 04:10 PM
man save yourself time and some heart break on the BP and just go FI. its just as cheap and you'll have more reliable/tunable power. u can buy the mani/turbo/RRFPR/255 alt. pump for under $500, or buy the jdm ecu and harness for alil more and then u just need custom piping (i could do this). or hell buy the whole motor for 1k and its a direct swap. and you wont have to worry about your car being a louse off the spray. i can even find you a Kl-03 for dirt cheap, or KL-de and some Mx-3 axles/mounts. then you can spray on that. K- series motors r the only FWD Mazda/ford motor worth running a nitrous kit on. they take to it extremely well in my experience. <--this also being what i had planned for my LX. gluck whatever u decide