PDA

View Full Version : any networking guru's?

Evil Goat
11-27-2006, 08:29 PM
wasnt real sure where to put this but i have a problem...im no networking genius but i do know a little bit and now im confused as hell, i am trying to wire up a simple jack that will go from my router in our office to our living room in order to use Live on my 360, with of course rj45 jacks and cat5e cable.....

i cant figure out the combination i need as far as how each jack should be wired up and what type of cable i should use on each side of the jack...

e.g. should i wire up my two jacks as a giant xover cable and use xover cables on both sides of the jack or should i wire up the jacks as one giant patch cable? and im gonna guess it needs to wired as 568B (corporate/american standard)? that isnt a problem, simply switching two pairs around on the jack

im trying not to have wires hanging out of the wall, id rather have them nice and neat through a wall jack, but if i have to ill run the wire through the open port and just put an end on it

~The_Duke~
11-27-2006, 08:35 PM
You called?

White Orange - Orange - White Green - Blue - White Blue - Green - White Brown - Brown

Make sure that the ends are all the way at the end of the RJ45 and be sure to crip it down good. :goodjob:

Nah you just need a str8 through which is what that wire order is for.

Modem - Router - (wire mentioned above) - 360

If you are using a wall jack the patch down instructions should be in the container with the wall jack.

Evil Goat
11-27-2006, 08:37 PM
ok, so i just need to use patch cables from the router to the jack, and from the jack to the 360 and wire both jacks as a straight through....correct?

~The_Duke~
11-27-2006, 08:38 PM
ok, so i just need to use patch cables from the router to the jack, and from the jack to the 360 and wire both jacks as a straight through....correct?

Correct.

The 360 is basically just another computer with a different way of interacting with it.

Evil Goat
11-27-2006, 08:39 PM
im having a problem w/ my router as well, so i havent been fully able to see wtf is going on, i need software to load it back onto my computer, and belkin doesnt offer a downloadable version of the install software for the router, i have the software but my cd drive took a shit about 2 weeks ago, going to pick up a new one sunday as i go back to work tomorrow

i know going straight from the modem to the 360 it didnt show a connection when i wired the jacks straight through and used patch cables on both sides, but i dont have my crimping stuff to make up other cables so i dont know if that will work or not

Evil Goat
11-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Correct.

The 360 is basically just another computer with a different way of interacting with it.

gotcha, thanks man, gotta get this router situation straightened out, i think thats the majority of my problem

~The_Duke~
11-27-2006, 08:43 PM
im having a problem w/ my router as well, so i havent been fully able to see wtf is going on, i need software to load it back onto my computer, and belkin doesnt offer a downloadable version of the install software for the router, i have the software but my cd drive took a shit about 2 weeks ago, going to pick up a new one sunday as i go back to work tomorrow

i know going straight from the modem to the 360 it didnt show a connection when i wired the jacks straight through and used patch cables on both sides, but i dont have my crimping stuff to make up other cables so i dont know if that will work or not

If you go str8 from the modem to the 360 you are going to have to set the 360 up with all of your logon info that your router would normally handle.

Belkin you should just be able to tap into it by using the default IP address to get into the user interface to config all of the good stuff like ISP info and what not.

~The_Duke~
11-27-2006, 08:45 PM
If you dont know what the default IP is then just hook the router up to just your computer and no thing else and go into the command prompt and type 'netstat -n' (with a space between '-' and 'nestat' and it should show the only connection being the belkin which should be something like '192.168.0.1' or something of that sort.

Evil Goat
11-27-2006, 08:46 PM
yea, ive set it up before through the belkin, but we moved about 2 months ago and im just now getting around to running my cables, i think once i get the router back online the other stuff should fall into place and im making a mountain out of a mole hill

Mr_Mischif
11-27-2006, 08:50 PM
the default for belkin should be 192.168.2.1, if that helps.

~The_Duke~
11-27-2006, 08:54 PM
yea, ive set it up before through the belkin, but we moved about 2 months ago and im just now getting around to running my cables, i think once i get the router back online the other stuff should fall into place and im making a mountain out of a mole hill

Ya you are cas with simple stuff like home networking with routers and switches is really easy and you dont have you use any spiffy cable or anything. It is when you start doing things like daisy chaining routers together and networking while not using routers and switches is where it gets messy. VPNs are sometimes a bitch to...

Thanks for the default IP. That will help him out alot. I havent worked with belkins in a long time so I forgot which one it was...

Evil Goat
11-27-2006, 09:07 PM
thanks alot guys, if my reps meant anything id give em out, im gonna let this stuff sit til sunday since i work about 75 hours a week...if i have anymore questions i know who to turn too...thanks again