PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Automatic trannies. what do you think?

ranj
11-27-2006, 05:28 PM
How much do you hate automatic sports cars?

I'm strictly talking cars used for any kind or racing.
The only thing i would use an automatic tranny for is for the very unlikely chance i go rockcrawling but that's about it, i abosolutely hate auto's.
I have many friends who drive auto's, and even some who race them and are quite good at it, but i just really can't stand automatic cars. so tell me what you think.

aaronfelipe
11-27-2006, 05:31 PM
what the fuck are you doing :???:

LS2ner
11-27-2006, 05:32 PM
repost

Nemesis
11-27-2006, 05:33 PM
The age old argument of automatics vs. manual. So many variables, so many preferences. Dumb.

Mr_Mischif
11-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Was this so important that 2 threads were necessary? :???: IBTL.

aaronfelipe
11-27-2006, 05:34 PM
x Pi (3.1454981349816548973189735774916135765)

aaronfelipe
He acutally made three threads.

ranj
sorry guys, i don't know what happened

LS2ner
11-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Lolz...Manual for the win.

quickdodge®
11-27-2006, 05:37 PM
so tell me what you think.

Here's what I think. Why do you feel that this topic is so worth a shit to make two of them? Even one is shitty, but goddamn two? Later, QD.

aaronfelipe
11-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Here's what I think. WHy do feel that this topic is so worth a shit to make two of them? Even one is shitty, but goddamn two? Later, QD.
He actually has a third one under the SIG TEST section.

:gay:

§treet_§peed
11-27-2006, 07:00 PM
here is imo the best answer for this question..which one best suits you is what you should go with...

1439/2000
11-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Turbo Regals and T/As with the power six are the only thing with an auto that I would drive. Plenty of other fast autos for dragging that can shift faster than a human can, ie M5. For turns though, manual has the power where you want it.

1SICKLEX
11-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Ive had manual and autos here in Atlanta. With the traffic I love my auto. When the time comes for a weekend car or my 911, a manual will only do

Bruce Leroy
11-27-2006, 08:30 PM
and even some who race them and are quite good at it

how can you be good at racing an auto. Just mash the gas and go.

ranj
11-27-2006, 09:40 PM
he made up for the automatic in cornering and other ways too. but straight lines didn't go to well for him.

Hulud
11-27-2006, 09:51 PM
my first car was auto, never again

i like being in control of my car

ranj
11-27-2006, 11:12 PM
my first car was auto, never again

i like being in control of my car

hell yes!

OneSlow5pt0
12-11-2006, 12:31 AM
i do fine in my auto RX7...and that doesnt mean i cant get on it once and awhile...:D

The Ren
12-11-2006, 06:11 AM
Im very happy with my auto. and Im sure patrycja is too.. you know the auto supra driven by a girl that runs mid to low 11s.. yeah..

OneSlow5pt0
12-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Im very happy with my auto. and Im sure patrycja is too.. you know the auto supra driven by a girl that runs mid to low 11s.. yeah..

exactly,supras are awesome auto..and iv beatin some dumb rednecks in stick shift Mustangs in my auto 7

The Ren
12-15-2006, 07:38 PM
:D Although I do get the comments.. no sports car is real unless its manual.. I know plenty of auto supras that could whoop most MANUAL imports..

Z33_kid
12-15-2006, 10:14 PM
ghost ride the auto lol

thepolecat
12-16-2006, 04:51 PM
FTL

Elbow
12-16-2006, 08:32 PM
An auto Supra or high HP killa is a little different then a Civic auto lol, I'd take an auto Supra or SC300 or something, I'd rather have manual, but for my Civic, 5 speed and never will drive an auto.

Tank
12-17-2006, 11:25 AM
im auto TH350 but listen to REN the worlds fastest supras are autos and nowadays most exotics are being made autos also, but if you ever need a clear answer on this look me up one day and ill show you the great feeling of catching full boost and never losing it.

drew

Lucky DAWG
01-17-2007, 08:15 PM
manual hands down is better for racing

depends how much u like shifting back in forth between gears though when you're in atlanta traffic, i personally can't stand it, and until i get a beater with an auto and a bigger pocket, i wont be converting to manual anytime soon

Lucky DAWG
01-17-2007, 08:16 PM
An auto Supra or high HP killa is a little different then a Civic auto lol, I'd take an auto Supra or SC300 or something, I'd rather have manual, but for my Civic, 5 speed and never will drive an auto.

SC for the win! i wanna do the 6 speed conversion a lot later

Ran
01-25-2007, 12:53 PM
I prefer driving on the twisties more often than not, so a manual is preferred. Also, I tend to get bored when driving an automatic.

RUSH
01-25-2007, 02:53 PM

The only thing i would use an automatic tranny for is for the very unlikely chance i go rockcrawling but that's about it, i abosolutely hate auto's.
I have many friends who drive auto's, and even some who race them and are quite good at it, but i just really can't stand automatic cars. so tell me what you think.

lol....let me take you for a spin in a stupid auto car!

Drag..... Auto
Road Racing....Manual
Most of the time!

Killer
01-25-2007, 03:03 PM

depends on what ur doing...

dd... i'd rather have an auto... i'm tired of using a stick in every day traffic...

street racing... i'd rather have a manual...

but not all automatics are your everday auto's....

in some cars, a built automatic tranny is the way to go...

and like rush said, i'd say a lot of drags are auto's...

RUSH
01-25-2007, 03:05 PM
depends on what ur doing...

dd... i'd rather have an auto... i'm tired of using a stick in every day traffic...

street racing... i'd rather have a manual...

but not all automatics are your everday auto's....

in some cars, a built automatic tranny is the way to go...

and like rush said, i'd say a lot of drags are auto's...

Well then again I would much rather have "This" Auto that is in my car if I was gonna race someone on the street. I dont street Race!

Killer
01-25-2007, 03:13 PM
........ rush.. i drive a civic...

remember that..

if i was gonna street race.. i wouldn't pull up to a supra regardless what tranny u had, or i had...

i'm saying if i pulled up to another car on my level.. i'd say i'd take a plane jane auto civic...

RUSH
01-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Well this dude is saying all out sports cars...

If I was anywhere around 400hp and under then I would rather have a manual

Everyone has there Opinion

Killer
01-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Well this dude is saying all out sports cars...

If I was anywhere around 400hp and under then I would rather have a manual

Everyone has there Opinion

.. i think ranj should have been a little more specific with what he was talking about...

i think he meant STOCK sports cars...

as opposed to 10021654960465409834u598!!lkifwkwoie000000 horse power , pearl blue, black wheels, and a lip... supras... (that are for sale on this very site) lol..

toland03
01-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Autos piss me off. I always reach for the clutch and try to move the shifter. 5 or 6 speeds are what suit me best. I think that they should be more common though, because most people on the road can barely think and drive, let alone shift.

For racing, I think whatever the individual thinks would work best for them will be the best. I always prefer manual.

RUSH
02-06-2007, 09:36 AM
3 spd on the column(spl) for me!

Jaimecbr900
02-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Sticks are funner to drive, but they too get old.

I have an auto in mine, but sometimes I wish I had a manual. Most of the time I'm glad I don't though. I've driven both for many years and years. I used to drive from L'ville to Fulton Ind. every stinking day in a manual. It sucked majorly.

Both have their pros and cons. Personally, I'd take a built domestic TH400/350 over a lot of manuals anyway. It does everything a manual can do, only better/faster/for longer time. I've seen some setup to where you have to manually shift it anyway.

For little NA 4 bangers.....yep, manual is the way to go. Everything else, it's debatable.

BLK JDM
02-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Preach on Jaime!!

The fastest drag race cars import or domestic are autos!!! You can't beat the technology companies like GM have put into FWD or RWD automatics.

Turbo Supra Automatic trannies suck!!! They can't hold power and end of blowing up. Most high horsepower auto Supras or Lexi have TH400/350 or have been built by Level 10 or Powerhouse Racing. Even the Level 10 and Powerhouse upgrades for the Toyota trannies still have lots of problems. They don't last like the domestics.

OneSlow5pt0
02-06-2007, 11:42 AM
yea,i like my auto and when i get a my C4 Corvette its going to be a auto too

Mr.MuayThai
02-06-2007, 11:55 AM
i prefer a manual... its all about personal preferance, i guess? but i like a manual tranny because you have more control over your RMP's.. and you have one more gear in most cases.:2cents:

RUSH
02-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Preach on Jaime!!

The fastest drag race cars import or domestic are autos!!! You can't beat the technology companies like GM have put into FWD or RWD automatics.

Turbo Supra Automatic trannies suck!!! They can't hold power and end of blowing up. Most high horsepower auto Supras or Lexi have TH400/350 or have been built by Level 10 or Powerhouse Racing. Even the Level 10 and Powerhouse upgrades for the Toyota trannies still have lots of problems. They don't last like the domestics.

Hence why I have a TH400, and I even switched it from a 6spd!

Flip
02-11-2007, 04:01 AM

How hard is it LOL. Press the gas...

OneSlow5pt0
02-11-2007, 11:07 AM
i have perfect shifts everytime,lol

BlkCD5
02-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Just the fact that automatics are costly when they fuck up bothers me, but it takes out all the fun in driving. If the individual had an injury preventing them from driving a manual, I find that as an exception.

Z33_kid
02-11-2007, 04:54 PM
i find the auto bugatii very nice

OneSlow5pt0
02-11-2007, 05:27 PM
i find the auto bugatii very nice

and the auto SLR:goodjob:

JDM onlyy
02-11-2007, 06:27 PM
I only like manuals in luxurious vehicles. Like an Escalade or like a Lexus or something.

Julio
02-12-2007, 08:04 PM
This is an old topic that will never end !!!

I think Is preference. I drove a manual all day everyday through ATL traffic and it sucked!

My bitch car # 1 is an Auto and Is awsome to just step on it and drive and is confortable and all the bells and whistle I need...

My bitch car #2 is a 6 speed manual.... is def fun to drive with no traffic.. But I wont lie, The manual tranny helps when you are in and out of traffic.

A soccer mom car and a girly car.. yup.. :lmfao:

NoNafs
02-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Unless your puttin down over 350 horse, I would never even think about it.

Frög
03-09-2007, 03:27 AM
i hate them... i want to burn them!

RUSH
03-09-2007, 09:51 AM
i hate them... i want to burn them!

You just dont know do you? The people that say stuff like this have never been in or owned a car with more then 400hp.

Your pic in your sig is horrible, it hurts my eyes to look at it. Why not turn the camera upside down to take a shot?

Frög
03-10-2007, 05:24 AM
You just dont know do you? The people that say stuff like this have never been in or owned a car with more then 400hp.

Your pic in your sig is horrible, it hurts my eyes to look at it. Why not turn the camera upside down to take a shot?

nope havent owned a car with that much hp.. been up to 300hp but thats it.. if i had a luxury car like a 750 or audi A8 then ya automatic is good.

And your telling me you would rather have an automatic Z06 corvette?

Like anything over ~750-800hp like modded supras ill take automatic.

and about my sig: alot of people actually rep'd me saying they love my sig. I get mixed opinions

RUSH
03-11-2007, 09:11 PM
nope havent owned a car with that much hp.. been up to 300hp but thats it.. if i had a luxury car like a 750 or audi A8 then ya automatic is good.

Like anything over ~750-800hp like modded supras ill take automatic.

and about my sig: alot of people actually rep'd me saying they love my sig. I get mixed opinions

Ummm, yeah if the Zo6 had over 500hp. I was planning on doing a zo6 with the same tranny(th400) as my car. Then again a manual is fine to! You have know idea how a real auto acts.

The ones that rep'd you about your sig are the ones that will do the samething and think it looks cool! Too extreme of an angle!

OneSlow5pt0
03-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Ummm, yeah if the Zo6 had over 500hp. I was planning on doing a zo6 with the same tranny(th400) as my car. Then again a manual is fine to! You have know idea how a real auto acts.

The ones that rep'd you about your sig are the ones that will do the samething and think it looks cool! Too extreme of an angle!

i belive the C6 Z06 is like 480hp,right?..i have a auto RX-7 right now,but im getting it ready to sell,and probbly get a 5speed Miata,never drove a stick before,it could get ugly

RUSH
03-11-2007, 09:23 PM
i belive the C6 Z06 is like 480hp,right?..i have a auto RX-7 right now,but im getting it ready to sell,and probbly get a 5speed Miata,never drove a stick before,it could get ugly

I wasnt saying that z06's have 500hp stock. I was saying that if it was a modded vette with a th400

OneSlow5pt0
03-11-2007, 09:40 PM
I wasnt saying that z06's have 500hp stock. I was saying that if it was a modded vette with a th400

o,ok..got ya

thinkskater
03-11-2007, 10:04 PM
hate them, but a buddy of mine just finished a auto LS eg...... weird but barks gears lol.

RUSH
03-12-2007, 01:16 AM
hate them, but a buddy of mine just finished a auto LS eg...... weird but barks gears lol.

once again, its prolly less then 300hp!

Frög
03-12-2007, 09:06 AM

dont they have 505hp stock? and when i come to think about it, i drove a 400hp evo, stick.. fun as hell..

LiL PaKi
03-12-2007, 09:12 AM
I miss my manual teggy... :( i'm left with the auto... i have plans to do a swap so i can be manual again though

_Christian_
03-18-2007, 08:15 AM
torque converters FTL!!!

LS2ner
03-19-2007, 03:24 AM
dont they have 505hp stock?

Yes they are rated at 505hp stock. I believe actually put every bit of that to the wheels aswell.

Total_Blender
04-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Man... some of you guys are lost here.

On little 4 cyl imports the autos generally suck because the engines barely make enough torque to spin the torque converter. The extra weight of an automatic just makes it worse. If you have a 4cyl (and a 6 in some cases) a manual is the way to go.

But on big V8's, you are probably better off with an auto. Some of those motors can rip right through a clutch. Not to mention the damage that can happen when you miss a shift (big block revving way past redline anyone?). And auto's allow for more consistency when drag racing. In bracket racing, where consistency is the goal rather than the lowest ET, auto's are nice to have. There are also reverse valve bodies and manual shifters available. Hell, I manually shifted the stock C4 in my Ford for a couple of weeks with no problems.

Street racers should all be rounded up and shot, so the choice is yours there. I prefer automatics for this task because their magazines have greater capacity and are easier to reload. That being said, nothing can beat the stopping power of a magnum chambered revolver.

For road racing the answer will always be manual. Having the control of a clutch, and the light weight of a manual is best. Same goes for auto-X.

RUSH
04-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Man... some of you guys are lost here.

On little 4 cyl imports the autos generally suck because the engines barely make enough torque to spin the torque converter. The extra weight of an automatic just makes it worse. If you have a 4cyl (and a 6 in some cases) a manual is the way to go.

But on big V8's, you are probably better off with an auto. Some of those motors can rip right through a clutch. Not to mention the damage that can happen when you miss a shift (big block revving way past redline anyone?). And auto's allow for more consistency when drag racing. In bracket racing, where consistency is the goal rather than the lowest ET, auto's are nice to have. There are also reverse valve bodies and manual shifters available. Hell, I manually shifted the stock C4 in my Ford for a couple of weeks with no problems.

Street racers should all be rounded up and shot, so the choice is yours there. I prefer automatics for this task because their magazines have greater capacity and are easier to reload. That being said, nothing can beat the stopping power of a magnum chambered revolver.

For road racing the answer will always be manual. Having the control of a clutch, and the light weight of a manual is best. Same goes for auto-X.

A lot of that is true but is faggish'ly put! Sorry but thats what it sounds like!

A manual valve body is where "you" have to shift it, a reverse Manual valve body, is where "you" shift it the opposite ,ie... back instead of forward(This is how mine is)
You dont just need an auto because you have a big ole V8 as you say, that was kind of homo of you to put! If your making the power and you want good times at the track then your not gonne get any faster times unless you go with an auto! Your trap is gonna be a lot higher with a manual but thats it.

_Christian_
04-09-2007, 06:08 PM

no such thing:no:

RUSH
04-09-2007, 06:35 PM
no such thing:no:

Ummm, they make this thing called fabrication. I have a gm tranny in a toyota, I think you can have an auto in a Z06.

devinwebb907
04-10-2007, 12:44 PM
it all depends. i have a big ass truck now and it is so convenient having an automatic. if i lived in atlanta and had to drive through that hellacious traffic i would not want a stick. but if i had a car at all, it would be manual...but my truck is nifty :]

OneSlow5pt0
04-17-2007, 12:23 AM
C6 Z06s are Auto or stick

404S2K
05-09-2007, 09:08 PM
So I didn't look to see if someone said this yet but there's only one advantage to an automatic...

more road head

notice I said more... you can still get it with a stick.

but otherwise...fuck automatics.

OneSlow5pt0
09-04-2007, 11:19 PM
zombie thread

superboost
09-05-2007, 01:19 AM
how can you be good at racing an auto. Just mash the gas and go.
I take it you've never modded or raced an auto .....

You've got shift kits, manual valve bodies, reverse manual valve bodies, ratchet shifters, upgraded clutch packs, changeable lockup for your TCC.

If you have torque, having an auto is pretty decent.

Especially for drag racing, you can run a nice trans brake, and a big fat turbo, then spool the hell out of it off the line. Also, while you are rolling, you don't lose any boost during shifts.

I won't say all, but many a manual car have fallen to my automatic volvo due to its superior launch off the line (with a few tweaks done to it of course).

Autos suck on most small displacement 4cyl cars because they do not have the low end torque to spin up the torque converter as said earlier. Also, due to the fact that they are fwd, the main benefit of being able to spool the turbo off the line is lost because most of your hard launch will erupt into tire smoke. Also, the packaging of a fwd car makes it harder to cool an auto and thus, they hold less power.

However, if your experience is simply limited to fwd econoboxes, don't go bashing automatics until you've driven a car with one that is properly, or at least has had an attempt at having an auto that is properly set up.

OH and you can drift with an automatic.
www.bubbadrift.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chv6rF4cHuc

Tank
09-05-2007, 09:05 AM
A lot of that is true but is faggish'ly put! Sorry but thats what it sounds like!

A manual valve body is where "you" have to shift it, a reverse Manual valve body, is where "you" shift it the opposite ,ie... back instead of forward(This is how mine is)
You dont just need an auto because you have a big ole V8 as you say, that was kind of homo of you to put! If your making the power and you want good times at the track then your not gonne get any faster times unless you go with an auto! Your trap is gonna be a lot higher with a manual but thats it.
listen up to this statement kiddies becuase its about the most accurate one in this thread.

sullen
09-05-2007, 09:55 AM
i hate auto transmissions. why would you buy one unless you're like 70?

LiL PaKi
09-05-2007, 09:57 AM
I miss my manual teggy... :( i'm left with the auto... i have plans to do a swap so i can be manual again though

swap is done.. now I have an aunto tranny for sale... haha who wants to be an automatic?

superboost
09-05-2007, 10:41 AM
i hate auto transmissions. why would you buy one unless you're like 70?

if your car makes a lot of power and you want the trans together AND want to run a decent time at the drag strip

OneSlow5pt0
09-05-2007, 03:21 PM
its funny how the fastest production cars in the world are automatics

but if were talking bout some civic,then manual is the way to go

superboost
09-05-2007, 11:52 PM

but if were talking bout some civic,then manual is the way to go

fwd econoboxes never do well with automatics, but because...lets face it, IA is basically a site of fwd econobox drivers (no offense to the honda crowd), there is going to be a lot of hate for them

Likewise, if we were to pose this same question to an American muscle site full of v8 powered muscle cars all running hte 1/4 mile, I'm willing to bet sentiments would be quite different.

man
09-06-2007, 12:53 AM

Since when?

OneSlow5pt0
09-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Since when?

what u call the veyron?

or SLR Mclaren.

thiers no clutch pedal,and it shifts for u..........sounds like a automatic

Bruce Leroy
09-06-2007, 03:28 PM
I take it you've never modded or raced an auto .....

You've got shift kits, manual valve bodies, reverse manual valve bodies, ratchet shifters, upgraded clutch packs, changeable lockup for your TCC.

If you have torque, having an auto is pretty decent.

Especially for drag racing, you can run a nice trans brake, and a big fat turbo, then spool the hell out of it off the line. Also, while you are rolling, you don't lose any boost during shifts.

I won't say all, but many a manual car have fallen to my automatic volvo due to its superior launch off the line (with a few tweaks done to it of course).

Autos suck on most small displacement 4cyl cars because they do not have the low end torque to spin up the torque converter as said earlier. Also, due to the fact that they are fwd, the main benefit of being able to spool the turbo off the line is lost because most of your hard launch will erupt into tire smoke. Also, the packaging of a fwd car makes it harder to cool an auto and thus, they hold less power.

However, if your experience is simply limited to fwd econoboxes, don't go bashing automatics until you've driven a car with one that is properly, or at least has had an attempt at having an auto that is properly set up.

OH and you can drift with an automatic.
www.bubbadrift.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chv6rF4cHuc

I never bashed autos. All i was implying was that driving an auto takes less skill than driving a stick.

man
09-06-2007, 03:55 PM
what u call the veyron?

or SLR Mclaren.

thiers no clutch pedal,and it shifts for u..........sounds like a automatic

Sorry, but the Veyron's transmission is not an automatic. It will shift for you only when you tell it to, otherwise it is a 7-speed DSG manual.

iEvo
09-06-2007, 03:58 PM
autotragics r gay

OneSlow5pt0
09-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Sorry, but the Veyron's transmission is not an automatic. It will shift for you only when you tell it to, otherwise it is a 7-speed DSG manual.

"Putting this power to the ground is a dual-clutch DSG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox) computer-controlled manual transmission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission) with 7 gear ratios (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_ratio) via shifter paddles behind the steering wheel boasting an 8 ms shift time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_time). The Veyron can be driven by full automatic transmission. The Veyron also features full-time all-wheel drive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-wheel_drive) based on the Haldex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haldex) system. It uses special Michelin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin) run-flat tires (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-flat_tire) designed specifically for the Veyron to accommodate the vehicle's top speed.

Curb weight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_weight) is estimated at 1890 kg (4,160lb). This gives the car a power to weight ratio of 529 bhp/tonne, which is great for this type of car."

like all the high end BMW and Benz

automatic with a manual mode

or a SMT,like the MR2 Spyder has....but the MR2-S doesnt have a auto mode

man
09-06-2007, 08:05 PM
is a dual-clutch DSG computer-controlled manual transmission with 7 gear ratios

You seem to have missed this part.

OneSlow5pt0
09-06-2007, 09:47 PM
is a dual-clutch DSG computer-controlled manual transmission with 7 gear ratios

You seem to have missed this part.

but the computer shifts for u....just like BMWs have SMTs..they have auto mode,like the veyron has.

but u an shift it yourdelf if u want,but it would be slower

93H22ACX
09-06-2007, 10:07 PM
for those who think you just press the gas and go....try launching it at 30 or so psi with nitrous and control the car lol...

that's like saying just press the gas and shift gears :thinking:

i myself didnt really like autos either...but 26psi of boost on my supra changed my mind on autos.

at times i want to convert it...but then i don't either.... just depends on the mood.

and yes...manual FTW if its a civic / integra lol.

Tinton
09-07-2007, 12:45 PM
I hate autos, personally. I just sold my (hope to be) last auto car, and unless I lose a leg or an arm I'm not going to be switching to autos anytime soon. All the negatives for driving stick don't exist if you actually know how to DRIVE a manual. If you're having trouble in traffic, try to not ride the person's ass in front of you. If you drive a manual like you'd drive an auto, yes you'll have problems. I've been driving stick every day for the past 2 years, in traffic too, and I haven't had a problem. In traffic I almost never have to clutch in, because I'll just move along idling in 1st or 2nd gear leaving a cushion in front of me so I never have to stop.

Who the hell dragraces here anyways? I drive a domestic but I hate dragracing, I don't see a point to it. Oh yeah, look at you, you built a 600 hp car and you're getting down into the 11's and 10's at the track! If you have enough money you can get any car to run speeds like that. I find a lot more joy in just driving down a twisty road with a manual transmission. In fact, if I were ever to modify a car (and I hopefully will soon) I'll probably cap the HP at around 350-400 just so it'll still be easy to handle on a road with tight corners.

man
09-07-2007, 12:45 PM
for those who think you just press the gas and go....try launching it at 30 or so psi with nitrous and control the car lol...

that's like saying just press the gas and shift gears :thinking:

i myself didnt really like autos either...but 26psi of boost on my supra changed my mind on autos.

at times i want to convert it...but then i don't either.... just depends on the mood.

and yes...manual FTW if its a civic / integra lol.

Not a fan of straight line racing, so manual ftw in any performance oriented car.

93H22ACX
09-07-2007, 01:24 PM
well i know i drag race. but yes anyone can build a high hp car but to run it is a different story. so you are saying anyone with 500-600whp car can get in and run 10's? i don't think so. that's like saying anyone can drift because they slid their car around the corner...or anyone can autox cause they went around a turn.

as far as manual tranny for dd in traffic goes... i dont see any problems with it..it just gets old and tiring when you're stuck in atlanta traffic...especially with a twin or triple disk clutch.

straight line, curves, drifts... its in preferences... i wouldnt say just because you like drag or dift one more than the other that the one you dislike sucks....

it's just a matter of preference in auto or manual transmission. I enjoy both but
i wouldnt just say all auto's suck...i use to think that way until i test drove one and it made buy one...although at times i do want a manual transmissiom car.

NevrNufTorq
09-07-2007, 01:28 PM
well i know i drag race. but yes anyone can build a high hp car but to run it is a different story. so you are saying anyone with 500-600whp car can get in and run 10's? i don't think so. that's like saying anyone can drift because they slid their car around the corner...or anyone can autox cause they went around a turn.

as far as manual tranny for dd in traffic goes... i dont see any problems with it..it just gets old and tiring when you're stuck in atlanta traffic...especially with a twin or triple disk clutch.

straight line, curves, drifts... its in preferences...

it's just a matter of preference in auto or manual transmission. I enjoy both but
i wouldnt just say all auto's suck...i use to think that way until i test drove one and it made buy one...although at times i do want a manual transmissiom car.

this man speaketh the truth :goodjob: :D whatup bro?!?

93H22ACX
09-07-2007, 01:29 PM
this man speaketh the truth :goodjob: :D whatup bro?!?

sup man. anything new to the ride?

NevrNufTorq
09-08-2007, 01:17 AM
sup man. anything new to the ride?

brand new motor goin in next week!! :bump: :D had a lil accident with the nitrous but ya live and ya learn!! :eek: was on my way to my fastest pass ever though. ran a 6.8x@111 in the 1/8th then blew at the 1000'. coasted to a 10.9!! that was my low 10! motor was worth the 6.8 though! :D

93H22ACX
09-08-2007, 01:22 AM
brand new motor goin in next week!! :bump: :D had a lil accident with the nitrous but ya live and ya learn!! :eek: was on my way to my fastest pass ever though. ran a 6.8x@111 in the 1/8th then blew at the 1000'. coasted to a 10.9!! that was my low 10! motor was worth the 6.8 though! :D

damn...well, atleast you're getting a new one back in... both motors stock?

NevrNufTorq
09-08-2007, 01:30 AM
nope, both built. new one, full port job, crower 280 cams, springs, retainers, je pistons, eagle rods, arp's, clevite bearings, that's about it. should be good for a g if i need it. we'll see. never got all out of my 750 so we'll start there and work up again. goin to showdown. guess i'll be runiing for 2nd against everyone else if clark brings his A game with his new power! :D

93H22ACX
09-08-2007, 01:43 AM
nope, both built. new one, full port job, crower 280 cams, springs, retainers, je pistons, eagle rods, arp's, clevite bearings, that's about it. should be good for a g if i need it. we'll see. never got all out of my 750 so we'll start there and work up again. goin to showdown. guess i'll be runiing for 2nd against everyone else if clark brings his A game with his new power! :D

i'm sure you'll do fine. gl:goodjob:

btw...who did you get your TH400 kit from...AAP or SP?

NevrNufTorq
09-08-2007, 01:49 AM
AAP! chris and jemel have got it down pat. all the stuff for the speedo to work and the ratchet shifter with shortened handles so it still looks like a 6 speed to the naked eye!! ;) at least til i put on my shift knob with the button for the trans brake!!! :bump: best thing in the world!!! so glad i let dave install and talk me into that one! :goodjob:

Crazy Asian
09-08-2007, 02:02 AM
Lots of cars now a days are auto or have this weird auto.