PDA

View Full Version : Aight I have my header install...

~The_Duke~
11-27-2006, 02:23 PM
...but is there a way to make the 'Service Engine Soon' light turn off without paying nissan $90 to do it for me?

§treet_§peed
11-27-2006, 05:21 PM
get a new o2 sensor and go to my friends shop Autoronix is gainesville and tell him matt sent you..tell him if he doesn't care to reset it and/or see what it is...

aaronfelipe
11-27-2006, 05:29 PM
You should stop the problem, not reset it. I would check the sensor itself.

Big J
11-27-2006, 05:32 PM
The light is for the catalytic converter that is now missing. It's a p0420 code. If you turn the light off, it'll pop back on. You need an O2 simulator. The easiest way is to get an 18mm long spark plug anti-fouler (auto zone $4), drill it out so you can screw the SECOND O2 sensor into it, then screw both back into the exhaust, the light will never come back on.

To check codes: Turn ignition on, do not crank car, count to 3, then press the gas pedal 5 times, after the last press and let off is finished, count to 7, then press and hold the pedal for 10 seconds, the check engine light should start to flash. Read the codes as follows, 10 flashes = 0, 4 = 4, 5 = 5, ect. you should see 10 flashes, then 4, then 2, then 10, thats 0 4 2 0. If no other codes are present press and hold the pedal for at least 10 secs, release, then shut the ignition off, the code should be gone. Make sure you count slowly or use a watch untill you get the hang of it.

Big J
11-27-2006, 05:34 PM
You should stop the problem, not reset it. I would check the sensor itself.

sensor is fine, cat is gone

§treet_§peed
11-27-2006, 05:55 PM
i dno't know a bunch about nissans...but i don't think there cat is in the headers like other car, i.e. most honda...but i'm not sure lol

~The_Duke~
11-27-2006, 06:27 PM
sensor is fine, cat is gone

Well we had a slight issue extracting the old O2 sensor from the stock header. So the O2 sensor is brand new. I was going to try that code thing to see what code it was throwing. Cas I bet money that it is throwing a you dont have a O2 sensor code I havent looked at the list to see which one that one is. Cas I had run without an O2 sensor with that massive exhaust leak all the way to the dealer.

I asked a nissan tech at the dealership where I picked up the O2 sensor at if the light would turn off when the engine figured out it had an O2 sensor again and he said that they would have to hook it up to a computer (BS)

When doing the code checking thing, Will it automatically reset itself when I turn the ignition off?

§treet_§peed
11-27-2006, 06:37 PM
no

§treet_§peed
11-27-2006, 06:37 PM
just take it to my buddys shop he will tell you what the problem is and if oyu already have it fixed then he will erase the cpde turning off the CEL

~The_Duke~
11-27-2006, 06:43 PM
just take it to my buddys shop he will tell you what the problem is and if oyu already have it fixed then he will erase the cpde turning off the CEL

Well that is no fun lol

If I cant figure it out from these lil error code directions with the blinking lights and stuff I will.

From looking at the list of codes, I am going to guess that it is P0134 (Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected) which would have been caused by cranking the car without Bank 1 Sensor 1 install...

So it quite possibly might throw 2 codes by time everything is said and done?

I dont understand how 18mm long spark plug anti-fouler will trick the system into thinking that the cat is in there. Could you plz attempt to explain why? Just merely curious of how things work...:D

sebastianHoff
11-27-2006, 07:40 PM
its free to pull codes at autozone.

~The_Duke~
11-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Autozone is closed when I get off work...

Plus I ought to figure out how to do this so that I can do it if I ever need to broke down on the side of the road...

Big J
11-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Well that is no fun lol

If I cant figure it out from these lil error code directions with the blinking lights and stuff I will.

From looking at the list of codes, I am going to guess that it is P0134 (Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected) which would have been caused by cranking the car without Bank 1 Sensor 1 install...

So it quite possibly might throw 2 codes by time everything is said and done?

I dont understand how 18mm long spark plug anti-fouler will trick the system into thinking that the cat is in there. Could you plz attempt to explain why? Just merely curious of how things work...:D

The primary o2 sensor measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gasses after combustion so it can adjust the amount of fuel being delivered. The second o2 sensor, uncle sam's o2 sensor, the one after the catalytic convertor, doesn't want to see much, if any o2. It is there simply to make sure the catalytic convertor is working. Any o2 should be used by the convertor to oxidize hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, and is formed when nitric oxides are broken down. So if you pull the o2 sensor back out of the exhaust stream and shroud it, it samples the same gasses over and over using up the oxygen in the pocket you created, it sees a steady voltage consistant with low o2 levels and fools the ECU.

P.S. Don't drive to gainsville, come down here and I'll fix it for you cheap.

N/A EK
11-28-2006, 07:28 AM
So will he be able to pass emissions with that header on the car?

Sentra
11-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Just get a god damn o2 sensor spacer and lift it about a good half an inch, youll be fine, thats what I did.
o2 Simulators suck and why pay a shop, its such and easy fix.

Firefightin_tC
11-28-2006, 01:59 PM
P.S. Don't drive to gainsville, come down here and I'll fix it for you cheap.

Yeah, I'm still waitin' for him to put mine on, lol. :goodjob:

~The_Duke~
11-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Big J the issue is that well you live about 1.5 hrs away from me...and well gainesville is only 20 mins...

When reading this next part, I dont really know what an anti-fouler is...lol (n00b)

So just to put it in retarded me terms I buy the anit fouler thing which is some sort of thing that has threads that you screw the O2 sensor into that makes an air tight pocket that the O2 sensor will just read those gases in that pocket. You take this anti-fouler thing and screw it into the exhaust which will then account for the heat that will be measured by the O2 sensor which is contained in the anti-fouler? Then the ECU will conclude that the cat is working just fine because it doesnt put 2 & 2 together that the air it is reading is to clean?

Big J
11-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I'm still waitin' for him to put mine on, lol. :goodjob:

:ninja: outa nowhere, I'll call you this weekend for real.

Firefightin_tC
11-28-2006, 04:23 PM
:ninja: outa nowhere, I'll call you this weekend for real.

That's right...thread jack ninja!

~The_Duke~
11-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Damn you thread jackers...lol

Big J
11-28-2006, 05:32 PM
buy anti fouler. get big drill bit. make hole in anti fouler big enough for the 02 sensor to screw into it. screw both into exhaust. done.

~The_Duke~
11-28-2006, 05:38 PM
buy anti fouler. get big drill bit. make hole in anti fouler big enough for the 02 sensor to screw into it. screw both into exhaust. done.

Aight well that isnt to hard lol

Thanks man I owe ya one or 2 :goodjob:

Wurm
11-28-2006, 05:49 PM
to reset the light just unplug your battery for like 30 minutes

~The_Duke~
11-28-2006, 05:53 PM

O rly?

Wurm
11-28-2006, 05:54 PM
O rly?

lol yeah easiest way to do it

yudalicious
11-28-2006, 06:44 PM
what car are we talking about here?
I'd listen to Big J, just from quickly perusing this thread, no one knows wtf they're talking about except him.

On your header/exhaust, it goes
o2 sensor-->cat-->o2 sensor, I'm assuming your header replaced the cat, so it's just o2 sensor------->o2 sensor, tripping CEL. Resetting (via ECU, nissan handheld unit thing, battery, etc) doesn't help, it'll come on soon again. You can either buy another cat and put it on somewhere between the 2 o2 sensors, or get a O2 signal simulator, or try the anti fouler idea that big J said.

~The_Duke~
11-28-2006, 06:54 PM
what car are we talking about here?
I'd listen to Big J, just from quickly perusing this thread, no one knows wtf they're talking about except him.

On your header/exhaust, it goes
o2 sensor-->cat-->o2 sensor, I'm assuming your header replaced the cat, so it's just o2 sensor------->o2 sensor, tripping CEL. Resetting (via ECU, nissan handheld unit thing, battery, etc) doesn't help, it'll come on soon again. You can either buy another cat and put it on somewhere between the 2 o2 sensors, or get a O2 signal simulator, or try the anti fouler idea that big J said.

I am attempting to know what I am talking about...lol

The car in question is an 05 Sentra SE-R Spec V which has 2 cats stock, one in the header and one in the exhaust. When I took the first cat out it tripped the SES light (check engine light) with a your cats are not working all the way code (cas I took the stock header\1st cat out)

Ya I found that anti fouler trick a couple other car forums so he is the only one with this idea and should work like a charm. Cas I am not buying another cat lol.

It will make sense for the light to come on again since the problem that it is trying to tell you about is still there.

yudalicious
11-28-2006, 06:57 PM
I am attempting to know what I am talking about...lol

The car in question is an 05 Sentra SE-R Spec V which has 2 cats stock, one in the header and one in the exhaust. When I took the first cat out it tripped the SES light (check engine light) with a your cats are not working all the way code (cas I took the stock header\1st cat out)

Ya I found that anti fouler trick a couple other car forums so he is the only one with this idea and should work like a charm. Cas I am not buying another cat lol.

It will make sense for the light to come on again since the problem that it is trying to tell you about is still there.

Yup. The KA24 has 2 cats as well in the same locations. Its well documented the 2nd one isnt even a fully functional 3way cat lol. I've also heard the o2 sim idea to work pretty well, I might try that next time.

~The_Duke~
11-28-2006, 07:01 PM
The Spec V doesnt have a KA24 in it...It is a QR25DE :goodjob:

N/A EK
11-28-2006, 09:33 PM
The Spec V doesnt have a KA24 in it...It is a QR25DE :goodjob:

I think he's talking about the KA24 having the same set-up with oxygen sensors and cats as the QR25.

~The_Duke~
11-28-2006, 10:24 PM
I think he's talking about the KA24 having the same set-up with oxygen sensors and cats as the QR25.

oh...lol my bad...

Big J
11-29-2006, 02:02 PM

Learning to pull the codes and reset the light with the gas pedal can save a lot of money.

~The_Duke~
11-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Learning to pull the codes and reset the light with the gas pedal can save a lot of money.

I learned how to pull the code with the gas pedal, it was the code you said it was :goodjob:

but how do you reset the light with the gas pedal just turn the key off?

Wurm
11-29-2006, 03:37 PM
I learned how to pull the code with the gas pedal, it was the code you said it was :goodjob:

but how do you reset the light with the gas pedal just turn the key off?

lirl drive it till it resets itself

~The_Duke~
11-29-2006, 03:52 PM
lirl drive it till it resets itself

It wont reset itself til I get my O2 sensor sim. rigded up...

I am half tempted to take the 2nd cat out to...lol

~The_Duke~
11-29-2006, 04:52 PM
So I just checked my bank account to see the $149 dollars of O2 sensor had gone through yet, and the pending approval wasnt there...that would make my day if nissan just gave me a $149 christmas gift...

N/A EK
11-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Where the pic's at???lol

Hektik
11-29-2006, 09:07 PM
ive heard about the spark plug anti-fouler thing working for several people. what i want to know is about this o2 signal simulator. ive heard about this also. but just breifly. can someone explain more about it.. from what ive heard it supposedly eliminates the o2 sensor by replacing it with a chip that emites the same voltage as the o2 sensor would...please correct me if im wrong
thanx.
and good luck on ur car duke

~The_Duke~
11-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Where the pic's at???lol

I will post some up tomorrow lol...I havent been able to take pics yet...lol

~The_Duke~
11-29-2006, 09:11 PM
ive heard about the spark plug anti-fouler thing working for several people. what i want to know is about this o2 signal simulator. ive heard about this also. but just breifly. can someone explain more about it.. from what ive heard it supposedly eliminates the o2 sensor by replacing it with a chip that emites the same voltage as the o2 sensor would...please correct me if im wrong
thanx.
and good luck on ur car duke

Oh I am using the anti-fouler for an O2 sim (oops wrong wording)

Hektik
11-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Oh I am using the anti-fouler for an O2 sim (oops wrong wording)

no what im talking bout is a little different. the anti-fouler works really good if u have the o2 plugs on ur exhaust, the sim is made for cars that have straight piping exhaust with no o2 bungs so they trick the ecu into thinking that there is an o2 there and that it is sending out a certain voltage..

~The_Duke~
11-29-2006, 09:49 PM
no what im talking bout is a little different. the anti-fouler works really good if u have the o2 plugs on ur exhaust, the sim is made for cars that have straight piping exhaust with no o2 bungs so they trick the ecu into thinking that there is an o2 there and that it is sending out a certain voltage..

interesting...

I am not sure how it works, but I would assume that it would be fairly easy to create some sort of chip that would connect up to the normal O2 sensor things that would spam a good reading over and over again...

EmminoDaGreat
11-29-2006, 09:49 PM
nonfoulers arent always reliable sometimes they work sometimes they dont, i installed a header in a Se-r (hopefully what your talking about) and it deleted the cat, mil light came on but went away on its own after a while... O2 simulator.com for the safe bet

Big J
11-29-2006, 10:37 PM
nonfoulers arent always reliable sometimes they work sometimes they dont, i installed a header in a Se-r (hopefully what your talking about) and it deleted the cat, mil light came on but went away on its own after a while... O2 simulator.com for the safe bet

If the light won't stay off with 1 anti-fouler, add a 2nd one. If you use a long anti-fouler to start with and make the hole a close fit around the sensor probe it'll work better.

To turn the light off, go into diagnostic mode with the pedal, let it cycle, then hold the pedal down for at least 10 seconds (just do 20-30 secs to be sure), then switch the ignition off. When you restart the car the light should be gone. The benefit to doing it this way is the fuel trims and ignition trims aren't reset, but after any mod it's good to reset the ECU and let it relearn fuel trims, because the air flow and whatnot is going to be slightly diffrent.

Doing an idle relearn is almost the same as going into diagnostic mode, but that's next weeks "Your Spec V" lesson.

~The_Duke~
11-29-2006, 11:31 PM
So then what does unhooking the battery do then? lol

Big J
11-30-2006, 06:08 AM
it resets more than just the light.

~The_Duke~
12-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Yes it does, your radio presets, your clock, you trip odo...

The anti-fouler trick worked like a charm :goodjob:

BTW Big J I saw that the check I gave for the header cleared :goodjob:

green91
12-02-2006, 03:04 PM
All the anti -fouler does is space the o2 so far back the air near the o2 is somewhat stagnant rather than having a sweeping a/f ratio reading that would indicate a failed cat.