PDA

View Full Version : Do "ebay" chips really help? or work?

turbolaser6
11-26-2006, 06:03 PM
I've been reading and researching about all those engine chips that are sold over ebay .... they say remove speed limiter and rev limiter... what does all this mean and does it really work?

§treet_§peed
11-26-2006, 06:10 PM
if you are talking about the "chip"that plugs into were your intake sensor goes..then no they do not remove the rev limiter nor speed govner

BTLFED
11-26-2006, 06:16 PM
No, they don't.

thepolecat
11-26-2006, 06:19 PM
hellz yeah they do- i gots me 12 of them thinks and i now have like 800000000001 hp and 97lb-ft of TQ in my civic!!!!!!

§treet_§peed
11-26-2006, 06:23 PM
lol

turbolaser6
11-26-2006, 06:27 PM
hellz yeah they do- i gots me 12 of them thinks and i now have like 800000000001 hp and 97lb-ft of TQ in my civic!!!!!!
WOW THATS A HUGE INCREASE..... U GOTTA BE KIDDING RIGHT?? U HAVE IDIGLO GUAGES??? DUDE STOP LIEING

turbolaser6
11-26-2006, 06:28 PM
if you are talking about the "chip"that plugs into were your intake sensor goes..then no they do not remove the rev limiter nor speed govner
NO THE CHIPS THAT U PLUG IN TO UR ECU.... HAS ANYONE HERE DONE THAT "MOD"?

imbosile
11-26-2006, 06:29 PM
just read the ad, if it looks too good to be true then it probably is.

BTLFED
11-26-2006, 06:30 PM
WOW THATS A HUGE INCREASE..... U GOTTA BE KIDDING RIGHT?? U HAVE IDIGLO GUAGES??? DUDE STOP LIEING

Stop with the caps and you are a wanker.

§treet_§peed
11-26-2006, 06:31 PM
yup..but if you wanna waste like 10 bucks then go for it...

turbolaser6
11-26-2006, 06:31 PM
just read the ad, if it looks too good to be true then it probably is.
YEAH I THOUGHT SO .... SO WHAT DO THEY DO THEN???? FRY UR ECU?

turbolaser6
11-26-2006, 06:32 PM
sorry bout the caps everyone i dont want to b a "wanker"

imbosile
11-26-2006, 06:32 PM
YEAH I THOUGHT SO .... SO WHAT DO THEY DO THEN???? FRY UR ECU?

I've never tried one, but I doubt it really helps you

thepolecat
11-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Dont do an ebay chip- If you are going to "chip" your ECU do it through a reputable source, better yet, buy a programmable ECU.

turbolaser6
11-26-2006, 06:36 PM
I've never tried one, but I doubt it really helps you
so all those millions of chipps are scams.. the chrome skunk2 and all those dont help?

§treet_§peed
11-26-2006, 06:43 PM
if they are skunk 2 or chrome then you'll pay more than 10 or so bucks..and they do help also what kind of car do you have?

scttydb411
11-28-2006, 01:46 AM
most of the chips on ebay are bootleg/bogus skunk, mugen, etc chips that have the stock program w/ speed limiter removed, rev limit raised and different vtec point and they charge $15-20 + shipping.

they are not tuned to your setup and are a total waste to get. you'll have to get your ecu socketed to accept the chip, but since it's not tuned to your setup you won't get the gains you would think and you just end up w/ a very poor basemap.

socketing/chipping the ecu is a good thing, but you need to have it tuned. i can socket/chip your ecu and a basemap comes with it. it would be as close to stock with basic upgrades for inj sizing, map sensor, speed limiter removed. the real gain is getting it tuned to your setup for the vtec point that your car wants with a rev limit that matches the power production from your engine/setup combination.

hope that helps.

turbolaser6
11-28-2006, 08:13 PM
most of the chips on ebay are bootleg/bogus skunk, mugen, etc chips that have the stock program w/ speed limiter removed, rev limit raised and different vtec point and they charge $15-20 + shipping.

they are not tuned to your setup and are a total waste to get. you'll have to get your ecu socketed to accept the chip, but since it's not tuned to your setup you won't get the gains you would think and you just end up w/ a very poor basemap.

socketing/chipping the ecu is a good thing, but you need to have it tuned. i can socket/chip your ecu and a basemap comes with it. it would be as close to stock with basic upgrades for inj sizing, map sensor, speed limiter removed. the real gain is getting it tuned to your setup for the vtec point that your car wants with a rev limit that matches the power production from your engine/setup combination.

hope that helps.
so if i were to buy one it wouldnet help ... like just by putting it on?..... so how does the speed limit remover and rev limiter remover work? so to buy it would be an waste of money and it would literally be a :idb: over? thanx for the info

scttydb411
11-29-2006, 12:06 AM
so if i were to buy one it wouldnet help ... like just by putting it on?..... so how does the speed limit remover and rev limiter remover work? so to buy it would be an waste of money and it would literally be a :idb: over? thanx for the info

more than likely. you get more performance gains by tuning afr, timing, and vtec point than you do by removing rev and speed limiter.

speed and rev limit is removed so that you can rev higher (not better unless your engine is built for that) and go faster than the stock electronic govenor is set for.

AE86 Dorifto
11-30-2006, 06:54 AM
I wouldn't test eBay chips.