PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods TIME FOR SCHOOL CLASS!!!!!

BABY J
11-21-2006, 08:32 AM
What is scramble boost?:thinking:

josh green
11-21-2006, 08:57 AM
multiple stages but timed rather than switch powered I believe. COuld just be a fancy word for multiple stages.

BABY J
11-21-2006, 09:00 AM
I see it being used a lot... and there are not many terms that I am unaware of, even though I am an N/A junkie.

So basically rather than being at "low boost" setting or "high boost", the electronics allows the boost to be built progressively (based on timing increments) from launch? Do I have it right?

Vteckidd
11-21-2006, 10:51 AM
scramble means that you have in input for each stage of boost.

a Boost Controller with 6 stages of boost with scramble means:

1st stage 10psi
*clutch switch*
2nd stage 15psi
*clutch switch*
3rd stage 20psi
etc. etc.

Usually, scramble is an option that you can use via your EMS (if applicable, like AEM, Motech, etc) or a ground. Most people use a ground connected to the clutch switch so when you hit the clutch pedal, it engages the next stage of boost.

BABY J
11-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Imagine a NOS controller (I am a spray junkie) that could work this way. Sure we have timers w/ NOS... but this "scramble" would be so much better than a timer... something based on gears w/out having to tap into the tranny electronics is awesome. Thanx for the education... I am tired of reading about it and not knowing exactly what it was.

Big J
11-21-2006, 07:41 PM
actually.......scramble boost is a high boost aside from what is set. So if you run 8 in 1st, 10 in 2nd, 15 in 3rd, and 18 on up, because of how you have your boost controller set up. Say scramble is set at 22 and triggered by a switch irregaurdless of what gear your in. It's a, "damn this dude is starting to pull on me" button.

What you're looking for is a progressive nitrous controller, you can fully tune your nitrous with one. It's like a boost controller, you're pulsing a solenoid at a set duty cycle based on RPM and gear or what ever the imputs are. You can easy into it to prevent wheel spin, and you can start it eairlier because you can limit how big the initial hit is.

click me (http://www.fjoracing.com/products/2stageminicontroller/)

The real mama jama (http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/Maximizer2.htm)

Big J
11-21-2006, 07:44 PM
The second controller can use a wideband 02 sensor signal to cut the nitrous if the motor goes lean, it's good for 8 gears, programable over RPM or time, blah, blah, blah. It's all about how much you want to spend.

BABY J
11-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Yes... I ordered pulsoids from www.racetested.com (http://www.racetested.com/) Regular solenoids do not like to be pulsed - and I am running a NOS controller and it beats the SHIT outta the noids. And I am also running tad bit more than a 100 shot on a new block that I have. HOWEVER, it esentially is a timer, it never "knows" the gearing... so basically it can only be programmed DEAD ON for "from a dig runs". Say I initialize it for a 60 pull - it will only have the "dig" program and perform the same way it always does when I run from a dig for my 60 pull. A truly "intelligent" NOS program would be quite the thing to have.

Big J
11-21-2006, 07:51 PM
check the second link: RPM, TPS, gears. It is fully tunable.

BABY J
11-21-2006, 10:36 PM
I think you are still missing a point here. Let's say I set my controller for traction from a dig (which is EXACTLY the way it's set). Let's say I have it set by RPMS. Let's say that from a dig, 8400 RPMS (1st gear) calls for 50% of my total jetting in order to maintain traction. Sounds good right? That setup ROCKS for digs and I never cook the tires. HOWEVER, when I am doing a 60 pull I drop to 3rd - 3rd gear at 8400 RPMs I COULD go 100% of my total jetting and still have traction - BUT the controller is locked in at a 8400RPM = 50% of my total jetting. In this senario I am only getting 50% of my total jetting when the gear (3rd) is high enough to not over-rotate the tires w/ 100% of the jetting. Now can u see how TPS or RPM can not be as good as a true "scramble" NOS program (which to my knowledge does not exist). I DO admit that there are LOTS of functions that I can use on my box - but for all intensive purposes you really have to choose between a "dig" progam or a "roll-on" program. The same program simply can NOT be used for both "to my knowledge".

GTScoob
11-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Why not just have it hooked up to a WOT switch? When you're launching and fighting to keep traction you wont be at WOT so you wont be spraying, as soon as you hook and go wide open you'll spray.

BABY J
11-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Why not just have it hooked up to a WOT switch? When you're launching and fighting to keep traction you wont be at WOT so you wont be spraying, as soon as you hook and go wide open you'll spray.

B/c there is "wasted" OFF-NOS positions (from 1% throttle to 99% throttle) where theoretically I could use SOME percentage of my total jetting. Why "waste" all of this throttle space? --> 1st and 2nd gear could be somewhat better OFF the bottle for a shot my size (due to traction). But imagine 3rd gear at 99% TP w/ no spray??

GTScoob
11-22-2006, 01:55 AM
B/c there is "wasted" OFF-NOS positions (from 1% throttle to 99% throttle) where theoretically I could use SOME percentage of my total jetting. Why "waste" all of this throttle space? --> 1st and 2nd gear could be somewhat better OFF the bottle for a shot my size (due to traction). But imagine 3rd gear at 99% TP w/ no spray??

Hook it up to a vacuum fitting, something that triggers when your car reaches WOT. Same concept as before.

BABY J
11-22-2006, 06:27 AM
^^ I like the way you think... but putting it all together sucks. LMAO! Just some ideas I am throwing out there. "Scramble-NOS" would be kool concept. :)

bdydrpdmazda
11-22-2006, 06:52 AM
what are you building Baby J?

Big J
11-22-2006, 11:31 AM
The second controller monitors the vehicle speed sensor and checks it aganist RPM to determine what gear your're in. (let me dubble check) So 8400 rpms in 1st gear vs in 3rd could be set to diffrent duty cycles.