PDA

View Full Version : Question about exhaust...

EvasiveEF9
11-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Not really sure where to put this. Couldn't figure where it belonged so I figured the whoreslounge cuz that's where everything ends up anyways. Mods, feel free to move it.

Anyways, this weekend at Drift Fury I saw a side exit exhaust I liked and decided to see what I could find to make my own. It had a super flat tip on it. I'm looking to do something similar, but I can't seem to find that tip. Any suggestions?

I've tried Summitracing, JCWhitney, Autozone...uh, I think that's all I've tried. I think I even looked at NOPI.

The tip didn't seem high-end or anything, so I figured it was just a universal from a place like the above listed.

Just looking for some ideas for places to look to find parts to make my own exhaust.

VTECin5th
11-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Wrong Section

CHADbee
11-20-2006, 12:04 AM
try pep boys...look in the ricer section. but i'm suprised summitt did'nt have it.

VTECin5th
11-20-2006, 12:06 AM
try pep boys...look in the ricer section. but i'm suprised summitt did'nt have it.

:lmfao::lmfao:

EvasiveEF9
11-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Thermal, where would it go, then?

Pep boys might carry it...all I'm looking for is an angled tip...and the ricer section is pretty much where I'm looking to find it...that's where I'd expect it. I'm just looking for something that sounds better and looks different than what everyone has, and costs reasonably less than a 500$ skunk setup...

VTECin5th
11-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Thermal, where would it go, then?

Pep boys might carry it...all I'm looking for is an angled tip...and the ricer section is pretty much where I'm looking to find it...that's where I'd expect it. I'm just looking for something that sounds better and looks different than what everyone has, and costs reasonably less than a 500$ skunk setup...

The Offical Rice Section.

Hulud
11-20-2006, 12:14 AM
honestly if your lookin for somethin that sounds good, pep boys would be a no no

VTECin5th
11-20-2006, 12:15 AM
http://forums.importatlanta.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29.

If you want to go rice, try autozone, pep boyz or advanced auto parts

EvasiveEF9
11-20-2006, 12:15 AM
honestly if your lookin for somethin that sounds good, pep boys would be a no no
LoL, all I'm looking to get is a tip...everything else will be custom done. Not a muffler...just like a 4" tip...one thats flat so it doesn't get completely destroyed on these speed humps up here...

EvasiveEF9
11-20-2006, 12:18 AM
http://www.gravanatuning.com/prod_images/large/SPT-SXGTO4V.jpg

Kind of like that...but not as "pretty". Damnit, I saw one on one of the drift cars saturday; wish I'd gotten a picture. Sounded damn nice, too

EvasiveEF9
11-20-2006, 12:20 AM
http://hassauto.com/pic-gallery/gallery-im/micha-complete-exhaust.jpg

A decent under-shot...but hopefully less of a 90degree angle.

RandomGuy
11-20-2006, 12:20 AM
google " O pipe" i believe kalecoauto carries them

edit: http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

Hulud
11-20-2006, 12:22 AM
LoL, all I'm looking to get is a tip...everything else will be custom done. Not a muffler...just like a 4" tip...one thats flat so it doesn't get completely destroyed on these speed humps up here...
yea i understand that then

i would try somethin like autozone, but if your gonna order your exhaust online then jsut get it online

EvasiveEF9
11-20-2006, 12:24 AM
google " O pipe" i believe kalecoauto carries them

edit: http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3
...cute

EvasiveEF9
11-20-2006, 12:25 AM
yea i understand that then

i would try somethin like autozone, but if your gonna order your exhaust online then jsut get it online
Well, I'm not looking to order just yet. Just seeing what's available; looking for ideas of what can be done...brainstorming, I guess.

Kyle
11-20-2006, 12:33 AM
4 inch tip, thats pretty big. But good luck with this, sounds like you have a plan, hope it works out for you.

Hulud
11-20-2006, 12:35 AM
4 inch tip, thats pretty big. But good luck with this, sounds like you have a plan, hope it works out for you.
im pretty sure hes talkin 4" wide

EvasiveEF9
11-20-2006, 12:36 AM
4"? Good god, I hope not...

I'm looking at about 2.25 piping, run through cat converter and resonator or muffler if I can find one flat enough. Will definitly be a challenge to pull off, but if it's done it'll be original, and pretty cool, I think.

The catch is I'll have to try to keep it quiet, and sniffer-legal. I don't want ricer sound, and I don't want it loud...just different.

EvasiveEF9
11-20-2006, 12:37 AM
im pretty sure hes talkin 4" wide
Nope...4" long. From end to end. That's all I'd need for the last part of the entire pipe. The rest will all be custom piping. The actual opening...I'd have tos ee it before I'd buy it, but probably about an inch tall, and 3 wide...sounds like ABOUT the right dimensions. I don't know,w e'll have to see what I find.

Kyle
11-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Oh gotcha. Good to hear.

Hulud
11-20-2006, 12:39 AM
Nope...4" long. From end to end. That's all I'd need for the last part of the entire pipe. The rest will all be custom piping. The actual opening...I'd have tos ee it before I'd buy it, but probably about an inch tall, and 3 wide...sounds like ABOUT the right dimensions. I don't know,w e'll have to see what I find.
o ok
i thought you meant 4" wide tip

(after it had been flattened)

EvasiveEF9
11-20-2006, 12:43 AM
o ok
i thought you meant 4" wide tip

(after it had been flattened)
Oh, yeah yeah. Just so long as it doesn't look goofy or sound like ass. Again, I'd probably have to see it. I don't think autozone or pep boys would have what I'm looking for, though.

AE86 Dorifto
11-20-2006, 06:53 AM
Go to AutoFAB Motorsports. (678)482-2221 Ask how much it would be to make a custom side exhaust.

§treet_§peed
11-21-2006, 01:05 AM
find it on ebay then go to a muffler shop and teel them you want to get your exhaust off-set

Leadfoot_mf
11-21-2006, 01:23 AM
what about the side exit srt-4 pipe?

TheSnail
11-21-2006, 02:15 AM
Im guessing it was a black s14 you saw with the side exhaust?

nofive-0
11-23-2006, 11:12 PM
You talk as if the tip will have an effect on how the exhaust sounds.....

my input:
1. Watch American Chopper/American Hot Rod/Monster Garage
2. Buy Exhaust tubing
3. Take hammer smash tubing
4. Take "tip" to exhaust builder
5. Get laughed at by exhaust builder
6. Put chevy symbol shaped exhaust tip on car.

§treet_§peed
11-24-2006, 11:24 PM
^^wtf?

JstAneon
11-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Just get a camaro tip from a junkyard and polish it up.

EvasiveEF9
11-27-2006, 05:57 PM
You talk as if the tip will have an effect on how the exhaust sounds.....

my input:
1. Watch American Chopper/American Hot Rod/Monster Garage
2. Buy Exhaust tubing
3. Take hammer smash tubing
4. Take "tip" to exhaust builder
5. Get laughed at by exhaust builder
6. Put chevy symbol shaped exhaust tip on car.
Cute...real cute...dipshit. I'm more concerned with ground clearance seeing as my car already scrapes the frame of the car on speed humps at my school... This particular tip/exhaust will be for weekends at the track. Obviously, I'll be driving my car to the track. When you're at the track, sound doesn't really matter so long as it goes. I'm guessing you're new to the automotive performance scene. Make sure you get that 4-foot wing clean next time you wash your car.

EvasiveEF9
11-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Im guessing it was a black s14 you saw with the side exhaust?
Yes, I believe so...

§treet_§peed
11-27-2006, 06:08 PM
lol

nofive-0
11-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Cute...real cute...dipshit. I'm more concerned with ground clearance seeing as my car already scrapes the frame of the car on speed humps at my school... This particular tip/exhaust will be for weekends at the track. Obviously, I'll be driving my car to the track. When you're at the track, sound doesn't really matter so long as it goes. I'm guessing you're new to the automotive performance scene. Make sure you get that 4-foot wing clean next time you wash your car.
Haha yes let me tell you how new I am. A BS in Mechanical Engineering, I don't know shit.

The way you talk you make it sound as if the tip will have an effect on how the exhaust sounds. Hopefully you know that it will not. I am also guessing you drive the car everyday. Hence "my car scrapes the speed bumps at school". Then you say the exhaust is for the weekend/track. I don't get it. Are you building an exhaust to use just for certain outings. IMO that would be a waist of time and resources. If you are so concerned about ground clearance side exit exhaust is not going to be the best route. But if you are dead set on side exit exhaust a tip should not be that hard to find.

The piping will still be more than likely have a bigger cross section than the tip even if you go with an oval or rectangle shape. Therfore it will still scrape. There is a reason most cars have the exhaust out the back.

But then again I am new to this, and don't know what I am talking about.

EvasiveEF9
11-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Haha yes let me tell you how new I am. A BS in Mechanical Engineering, I don't know shit.

The way you talk you make it sound as if the tip will have an effect on how the exhaust sounds. Hopefully you know that it will not. I am also guessing you drive the car everyday. Hence "my car scrapes the speed bumps at school". Then you say the exhaust is for the weekend/track. I don't get it. Are you building an exhaust to use just for certain outings. IMO that would be a waist of time and resources. If you are so concerned about ground clearance side exit exhaust is not going to be the best route. But if you are dead set on side exit exhaust a tip should not be that hard to find.

The piping will still be more than likely have a bigger cross section than the tip even if you go with an oval or rectangle shape. Therfore it will still scrape. There is a reason most cars have the exhaust out the back.

But then again I am new to this, and don't know what I am talking about.
Hey, I wasn't the one originally calling you a dumbass. I was merely retorting. As for your education...well...nevermind, we'll end this like adults andmove on.

Anyways...yes, the goal is to build an exhaust that would exit out the side for the weekends at the track, and I'll have a regular exhaust for it as a daily driver. Why? I don't want a loud exhaust for the streets, like the side-exit would put out. I already draw enough attention from local police. Running a side-exit would bypass having a muffler and resonator, and possibly even a cat converter. I'm not certain exactly how I would set it up, but I assure you, it would be louder simply by how it would be built...not neccessarily because I WANT it to be loud.

As for time and resources, it shouldn't take much time for me to swap out as it should only be 4 or 5 bolts and a few exhaust hangers to remove. Resources..I wouldn't expect to spend much...all I'd really need is pipe, and a welder (for the most part). So I wasn't too concerned with that.

As for ground clearance, let's not kidd ourselves, a side-exit WOULD still be low, even if flattened, and would only offer us MAYBE a half inch of extra ground clearance. For daily driving and being on the street, that's not much at all. But for the track (given the track is maintained and clear) a half inch can make the difference of losing the front bumper on a car. However, it would provide a LITTLE extra margin for the track.

I apologize if my posts made it seem as though I was convinced the TIP would make the difference in the sound/performance/whatever...I know a little better than that.

Make sense now? And no...this post is not meant to be dick, sarcastic, or assholish in any way...

EvasiveEF9
11-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Hence "my car scrapes the speed bumps at school". Then you say the exhaust is for the weekend/track. I don't get it. Are you building an exhaust to use just for certain outings.

What I meant was "I drive my car as a daily driver, but this exhaust will be for the weekends at the track." In other words...daily driver/weekend warrior. Get what I'm sayin'?

nofive-0
11-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Well it seems to me that you already know what you want to do. A half an inch of clearance will rub on the concrete alllll day. I have said what I wanted to already, there is no reson for side exit other than looks. Just run some sort of test pipe.

EvasiveEF9
11-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Well it seems to me that you already know what you want to do. A half an inch of clearance will rub on the concrete alllll day. I have said what I wanted to already, there is no reson for side exit other than looks. Just run some sort of test pipe.
I do appreciate your input, it's good to hear other opinions...hence the reason for the post. That, and I was hoping someone could point me in a direction of where to get that tip.

I would think for performance I would benefit better from a shorter exhaust without the backpressure of a muffler/resonator...wouldn't it? Correct me if wrong, please.

I know only roughly what I want to do. I'm still looking for ideas. I may not even use the idea at all and just scrap the project. Just a new idea...

As for scraping concrete, I really think the only concern I'd have is right there at the very edge of the car. Looking underneat, the stock pipe has a valley (if you will) for the pipe that already comes about halfway to the back of the car then turns to the passenger's side and goes to the endge of the car. The stock exhaust then turns back towards the rear of the car, over the axles, crosses back to the other side of the car (through a muffler) and out the rear.

For example...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/rebeljokertyper/4-2.jpg

CSquared
11-28-2006, 12:01 AM
I don't know man... To me, side exhaust is a muscle car thing and the only time it isn't gay in that case is when they are making decent power. Putting side exhaust on an import under 200hp honda civic def isn't going to give you enough benifit for the cost of getting shit talked by everybody and their mother. It honestly just comes off as being ricey to me more than anything else.

That is my honest opinion... but everybody has their own taste.

GET8UP
11-28-2006, 12:03 AM
drmcivicsi clear you messages

nofive-0
11-28-2006, 01:12 AM
What we have always done for a "race" type exhaust is this: We took a straight piece of tube and weld it to a collector and bolt it to the header where the cat used to bolt too. Then weld in a bung as close as possible to where the O2 sensor was. Then just use the hanger by the cat. Lastly put a turndown on the end of the pipe. Litterally we would have these things done in like half an hour. If you wanna use it for weekends and stuff it will definitly be the cheapest, fastest, and easiest route.

EvasiveEF9
11-28-2006, 08:49 AM
What we have always done for a "race" type exhaust is this: We took a straight piece of tube and weld it to a collector and bolt it to the header where the cat used to bolt too. Then weld in a bung as close as possible to where the O2 sensor was. Then just use the hanger by the cat. Lastly put a turndown on the end of the pipe. Litterally we would have these things done in like half an hour. If you wanna use it for weekends and stuff it will definitly be the cheapest, fastest, and easiest route.
That's the advice I'm lookin' for :goodjob:

Curious, though. What exactly is the point of the turndown at the end? Also, I was looking at doing the side exit simply because NA engines require a LITTLE bit of backpressure. I know it's been argued many times whether backpressure matters or not...but I think that an NA build requires just a little bit. Either way, that aside, I would have just thought that having a pipe THAT short wouldn't provide any at all... I'll probably try it though. Damn, that's gonna be loud, haha.

Thanks for all advice. You're a big help.

nofive-0
11-28-2006, 09:23 AM
put a resonator on it.

EvasiveEF9
11-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Meh, it's at a track. I may just run it open unless the noise gets unbearable...

Through your BS, was the theory of backpressure on a combustion engine ever tested?

nofive-0
11-28-2006, 12:46 PM
If I assume your engine is fairly stock straight pipes will not be much difference in power than with a resonator.

Yes it is true in N/A applications a little backpressure is good. Really the most important thing for an exhaust is the exhaust gas scavenging ability. That is basically all in the header, and doesn't have that much to do with afterwords.

My advice to you is to come off the header where it bolts to the cat. just use some 2.5" or 2.25" tubing for a foot or so. Im pretty sure on efs the 02 sensor is in the header so you shouldn't have to worry about that. On the end of that first piece put some kind of resonator, then a turn down on the end of that. It really shouldn't take more than an hour.

EvasiveEF9
11-28-2006, 04:07 PM
If I assume your engine is fairly stock straight pipes will not be much difference in power than with a resonator.

Yes it is true in N/A applications a little backpressure is good. Really the most important thing for an exhaust is the exhaust gas scavenging ability. That is basically all in the header, and doesn't have that much to do with afterwords.

My advice to you is to come off the header where it bolts to the cat. just use some 2.5" or 2.25" tubing for a foot or so. Im pretty sure on efs the 02 sensor is in the header so you shouldn't have to worry about that. On the end of that first piece put some kind of resonator, then a turn down on the end of that. It really shouldn't take more than an hour.
I'll probably follow your advice. On EF's, the O2 sensor is located on the header. However, the LS motor (obd1) is built with the o2 sensor being in the downpipe.

Currently, yes, the engine is stock. In time, however, it will be built. If I build NA, my goal is 200 at the wheels. If I build turbo, my goal is 300 (give or take) at the wheels.

speedminded
11-28-2006, 05:36 PM
That's the advice I'm lookin' for :goodjob:

Curious, though. What exactly is the point of the turndown at the end? Also, I was looking at doing the side exit simply because NA engines require a LITTLE bit of backpressure. I know it's been argued many times whether backpressure matters or not...but I think that an NA build requires just a little bit. Either way, that aside, I would have just thought that having a pipe THAT short wouldn't provide any at all... I'll probably try it though. Damn, that's gonna be loud, haha.

Thanks for all advice. You're a big help.The turn down is so you don't melt the entire undercoating of your car while boiling your brake fluid in the lines and anything else that happens to be in the exhausts path, don't forget about the fuel line too.

THEN you can do all the custom piping in the world but ever heard of noise regulations/ordinances at just about ANY sanctioned event? Think it's 96 decibals in SCCA. If you're not within their guidelines then you don't get to run again, period. You want the tip facing down in the center of the car and use one you can rotate depending on which side of the car the sound meter is on ;)

I run a factory cat and high flow stainless steel resonator and it's not enough back pressure. It's great off the line but my topend runs out. On our honda race cars [205-210whp] we run an SMSP header with two CRV resonators in line to a turn down. Dyno'd just about every imagineable exhaust out there and this setup is just as good or better than any of them...

EvasiveEF9
11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
The turn down is so you don't melt the entire undercoating of your car while boiling your brake fluid in the lines and anything else that happens to be in the exhausts path, don't forget about the fuel line too.

THEN you can do all the custom piping in the world but ever heard of noise regulations/ordinances at just about ANY sanctioned event? Think it's 96 decibals in SCCA. If you're not within their guidelines then you don't get to run again, period. You want the tip facing down in the center of the car and use one you can rotate depending on which side of the car the sound meter is on ;)

I run a factory cat and high flow stainless steel resonator and it's not enough back pressure. It's great off the line but my topend runs out. On our honda race cars [205-210whp] we run an SMSP header with two CRV resonators in line to a turn down. Dyno'd just about every imagineable exhaust out there and this setup is just as good or better than any of them...
Wow...common sense didn't kick in about that turndown melting shit...LoL

Thank for the tip on having an "multi directional turndown"