PDA

View Full Version : Can cops really do this?

Flip
11-19-2006, 04:52 AM
Basically I got a ticket up in the mountains heading home from camping the other day. The cop was coming from the opposite direction from around a corner. As soon as I saw him I slowed down but he turned around, passed the 3 cars behind me and pulled me over. He said he "clocked" me going 60 in a 35. I don't think I was doing 60 but whatever... Is it even possible for him to clock me from the opposite direction??? I asked him how he managed to clock me coming around a corner coming from the opposite direction, and he said his radar works moving or not blah blah...

FYI, I wasn't even doing a mountain run, just coasting down the mountain going home from camping...

Is that even possible? Should I try to argue it?

quickdodge®
11-19-2006, 06:08 AM
Yes you can be clocked from opposite directions. It has always been a misconception that you can't be. Later, QD.

redlinenprelude
11-19-2006, 06:56 AM
yup. 25 over.. ooouuch

ATK_Designs
11-19-2006, 08:04 AM
yes, make sure he said he's using radar to clock you. If it's laser, then it's wrong. Laser has to be stationary on a non-moving vehicle in order to do that. You can try to argue on the court, to see if he can show you that he's certified to use the instrument (hence showing you his ORIGINAL Certifation or a CERTIFIED Copy and not just any copy). Also, is the unit properly calibrated & Tested: Pre and post (Before and after he clocked you). Etc. There're many things that on the legal term, THEY HAVE to show you in order to convict you unless you don't object to it then whatever the "say" will hold its place in the higher court.

Jerry
11-19-2006, 08:05 AM
yes but there is loop holes. You where going down a hill. You can atleast get the ticket lowered saying the car was increasing speed because the incline.

Leadfoot_mf
11-19-2006, 08:19 AM
the only thing that can save u is if it is over a certain grade i think 7% check the ga code
also here is a site that might help http://thegeorgiaspeedingticketkiller.com/home.php
here is the code good luck http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/GaCode/?title=1

civic95
11-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Radar works in any direction, at any speed, and any angle. He could of been going 60 MPH perpendicular to you, and got an accurate reading. Trying to argue will piss the judge off. Trust me.

KoukiDrftr
11-19-2006, 10:49 AM
i got lucky one time when i was pulled over. a cop was sitting at a light with cars in front of him and behind him and i pulled out of a parking lot right next to him going the oppisite way. he pulled out of traffic and said he clocked me going 60 in a 35. i said there was no way he could have clocked me cause there were cars in front of him and behind him and unless his radar is special it can't shoot thru cars. so i called him out on it telling him he needed to writ on the ticket that there were cars blocking his view. he then wrote me a ticket for to fast for conditions.... and wrote i was going 60 in a 35. as i was rolling my window up i said ill see you in court. and no shit the next day he called me and told me he was going to cut up the ticket cause he felt bad for me.

Doppelgänger
11-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Trying to argue will piss the judge off. Trust me.
wrong

Your best bet is what ledfootmf said.... hope the hill you were on was on greater then %7.. then they cant enforce it.

Jkuao
11-19-2006, 11:24 AM
They can get you but it may not be particularly accurate given there can be traffic or other objects that reflect.

A few years back when I was younger and thought I was impervious to tickets, I was doing somewhere north of 90 in a 35 around a bend when a cop came over the hill the opposite way. He was way too close for me to slow down so I just coasted to the stop and watched him pull an emergency U. He said I was doing 62 which was a bit more likely to be the minivan that was behind me speeding since I was blazing the trail with a bright red Prelude. I even asked the cop to show me his calibration and he broke out the tuning forks.

Went to court with an armful of documents that I researched, talked to the solicitor and pled it down to 12 over w/a $40 fine.

carbon_crash
11-19-2006, 11:32 AM
I always thought the cop must give you the option to see the radar, and if he didn't then argue it. I have always been asked if I want to see the radar to validate the "clocked speed". Just trying to help, GL

aaronfelipe
11-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Fight it.

IggyBcool
11-19-2006, 12:09 PM
yeah they can, but just make sure like mentioned above that it was radar and not laser..

Sport1.3
11-19-2006, 12:12 PM
as long as its under 27 over your fine. Take tims advice and fight that bitch, or if nothing else get a lawyer. Ive got a good one if your interested. Paying alittle extra money to get it reduced or kept from your record is worth it every time...i would know(13 speeding/too fast for conditions tickets in 3 yrs and still has license)

Sport1.3
11-19-2006, 12:16 PM
I always thought the cop must give you the option to see the radar, and if he didn't then argue it.

no actually they no longer have to show you...and they dont even have to clock you to site you for speeding. its an officers discretion. but there are ways around anything

SLOWR/T
11-19-2006, 12:53 PM
yes but there is loop holes. You where going down a hill. You can atleast get the ticket lowered saying the car was increasing speed because the incline.

^^^^ :lmfao: :lmfao: ..............uhhh brakes?????

ShooterMcGavin
11-19-2006, 12:55 PM
as long as its under 27 over your fine. Take tims advice and fight that bitch, or if nothing else get a lawyer. Ive got a good one if your interested. Paying alittle extra money to get it reduced or kept from your record is worth it every time...i would know(13 speeding/too fast for conditions tickets in 3 yrs and still has license)
lol no wonder ur ass is broke :D

ShooterMcGavin
11-19-2006, 12:56 PM
gl fighting the ticket flip :goodjob:

Fast Shadow
11-19-2006, 01:06 PM
If he was using radar then yes he can get you moving. You only have to be stationary if running laser. This is per Valentine.

I always thought the cop must give you the option to see the radar, and if he didn't then argue it. I have always been asked if I want to see the radar to validate the "clocked speed". Just trying to help, GL

Not true in GA.

Just plead nolo if you have that option available. Otherwise try to plea it down w/ the soliciter or judge to see if they'll agree to pay the fine and no points or reduced fine and points. Or if you're really lucky the cop won't show at your court date and it's case dismissed.

SLOWR/T
11-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Radar works in any direction, at any speed, and any angle. true but at a radars furthist (sp) point it has a 300ft diameter. so anything in that "ray" will add to the speed of the car. example: say your going 45mph when he clocks you a bird swopes down at 15mph into the ray. that will add to your speed. making it look like your going 60 and not 45.

Trying to argue will piss the judge off. Trust me.

this comment is worthless. judges here arguements all day long. they get pissed when you lie to them. i have argued with judges all day long and at the end walked out with a warning or a lesser charge.

if you feel you werent going the speed he said you were go fight it. if you dont have alot of speeding tickets on you record he may believe you, lessen thrn charge or drop it and tell you to slow down.

IggyBcool
11-19-2006, 01:08 PM
no actually they no longer have to show you...and they dont even have to clock you to site you for speeding. its an officers discretion. but there are ways around anything

Hmm then state laws state that the officer must have hit you with some type of speed detecting device before they can issue a citation? Lets put this into perspective. Cop not detecting you: "Hmm it looks to me like he was goin probably 60 but hell who knows, maybe 62...Damn I wish I hadn't dropped that cream filling on me or I could have gotten a better look"

Fast Shadow
11-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Judges don't mind arguments, but they don't like A) whining B) lying C) personal attacks toward the cop. They want facts and they want you to be able to back them up.

IggyBcool
11-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Do you not have a radar detector? Good investment, even though you may not always help you, but they will let you know where possible threats are...

Sport1.3
11-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Hmm then state laws state that the officer must have hit you with some type of speed detecting device before they can issue a citation? Lets put this into perspective. Cop not detecting you: "Hmm it looks to me like he was goin probably 60 but hell who knows, maybe 62...Damn I wish I hadn't dropped that cream filling on me or I could have gotten a better look"

not sure what your trying to say but GA state law doesnt require the officer to show you and or recalibrate the laser/radar device. police can determine speed a number of ways without using radar/laser. pacing is one that fucks ppl all the time. in my case ive been pulled over for speeding before i actually past the speed limit(wasnt even outta 2nd gear). the police officer did not clock a speed and determined that i was "about to break the speed limit" and so pulled me over. i argued with the officer on his ability to do so, and was re sited for Street racing and too fast for conditions. :cry: .. I was all alone and never broke the speed limit, nor was speed ever clocked. it was labeled as "officers Discretion, no speed listed." this all because i had a really loud/fast looking car. lesson learned: dont argue with an officer, and always know your city and state traffic ordinances.

lol no wonder ur ass is broke :D

and why i cant get full coverage insurance and or a new car lol....last i checked full cov on the 2 was $412/month lololol....luckely i havent gotten a ticket in almost 2 years *knocks on wood*...this feb 5 of those tickets will be off my record!!! WOOT!!

UTsmokey14
11-19-2006, 03:27 PM
I got out of a speeding ticket on Jiles because the cop that laser'd me wasnt the cop that issued the citation. Woot for loopholes.

civic95
11-19-2006, 07:06 PM
this comment is worthless. judges here arguements all day long. they get pissed when you lie to them. i have argued with judges all day long and at the end walked out with a warning or a lesser charge.

It's one thing to KNOW you weren't speeding, and go in and deny it. It's another to know that you were speeding, and try to argue that the cop was going the opposite direction when in reality it doesn't matter.

I've been in court when someone admitted to speeding, but told the judge about the officer writing down the wrong model car like that was going to get it dismissed. Should of seen the look on the judges face. Needless to say he got the original fine.

§treet_§peed
11-19-2006, 07:18 PM
i'm to lazy to read al this lol..but did you ask to see the radar? if i'm not mistaken i got told by a lawyer i had for this one speeding ticket a while back that if i would of asked and her refused to show it to me that i did not have to sign the ticket..i mean it has to be the exact speed he wrote on the ticket..but if you do try and fight it, you can make it to where he would hae to bring in the radar to show proof..that is a definate, cause i had the same lawyer demand that for me one time and it got me outta a ticket cause cop fucked up the speed...

o_bomb
11-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Its called VASCAR!! They can clock from the back and in any direction!! A cop was in front of me and still pulled me over for speeding!!

§treet_§peed
11-19-2006, 07:33 PM
lol that had to be a bitch

StupidBikerBoy
11-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Lots a BS in here.

1. A cop can "judge" your speed and ticket you. He doesn't even have to have a detection device, nor does he have to show it to you.

2. Radar can be used at almost any angle, but the larger the angle the slower it shows your speed. So if he hits you dead on (front or back) and it says 60, you were doing 60. If he is at an angle to you and his gun says 60, you were going faster then 60. If he is close to a 90 degree angle from your direction then radar is useless. But then he could still ticket you.

3. if it was Laser, pay your fine. Unless you can get out through the 7 incline loophole.

4. Pleading NOLO would be wasted on a speeding ticket, unless you are going to lose your license. Don't use NOLO unless the offense is enough to take your license. You can only use it once every 5 years.

Good luck with the ticket:goodjob:

§treet_§peed
11-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Lots a BS in here.

1. A cop can "judge" your speed and ticket you. He doesn't even have to have a detection device, nor does he have to show it to you.

2. Radar can be used at almost any angle, but the larger the angle the slower it shows your speed. So if he hits you dead on (front or back) and it says 60, you were doing 60. If he is at an angle to you and his gun says 60, you were going faster then 60. If he is close to a 90 degree angle from your direction then radar is useless. But then he could still ticket you.

3. if it was Laser, pay your fine. Unless you can get out through the 7 incline loophole.

4. Pleading NOLO would be wasted on a speeding ticket, unless you are going to lose your license. Don't use NOLO unless the offense is enough to take your license. You can only use it once every 5 years.

Good luck with the ticket:goodjob: um on the one where a you said a cop can judge your speed i know that put if they put that they clocked with a radar you have a legal right to ask to see it, and call for it in your case if you want

11-19-2006, 09:32 PM
that blows. i would argue it cause 25 ovr and u can get your license suspended

Flip
11-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Ok, I'm not 100% positive that i was NOT doing 60 but i don't think i was... There were 3 other cars behind me that he could have clocked... They were probly catching up to my speed. I don't think i'll have a problem with suspended license since i've had multiple 20 and 25 overs. Having said that I don't think it would be very wise to try and argue this one unless i had solid evidence that i wasn't speeding... I've got enough room on my points to take another ticket so I plan on simply paying it... Even if i wasn't speeding through there i've been through those mountains WAY faster and gotten away with it so i'll just consider myself lucky and buy the cops some krispy kream...

Leadfoot_mf
11-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Lots a BS in here.

Good luck with the ticket:goodjob:
laser has to be stationary

Sport1.3
11-20-2006, 08:38 AM
um on the one where a you said a cop can judge your speed i know that put if they put that they clocked with a radar you have a legal right to ask to see it, and call for it in your case if you want

untrue. they are not obligated to show you anything. GA state law does not require (even if asked) an officer to show you the clocked speed or recalibrate the gun in front off you. believe me, i would know. I was stopped on mansel like 2 yrs ago for 20 over and swore up and down i wasnt speeding. I asked to see the gun (in a rude manor more or less) and was refused. i refused to sign the ticket and calle dmy lawyer (family friend). turns out they dont have to. so i just ended up making an ass of myself for a ticket that the judge dropped altogether anyway

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/speeding-ticket-urban-legends.html

Ruiner
11-20-2006, 09:21 AM

NO! Damnit, this keeps coming up over and over and over again. A cop has to offer you to calibrate it, but not to show you the reading of what he clocked you at. That is for your safety (in terms of getting out in traffic on a highway).

Ruiner
11-20-2006, 09:22 AM
i'm to lazy to read al this lol..but did you ask to see the radar? if i'm not mistaken i got told by a lawyer i had for this one speeding ticket a while back that if i would of asked and her refused to show it to me that i did not have to sign the ticket..i mean it has to be the exact speed he wrote on the ticket..but if you do try and fight it, you can make it to where he would hae to bring in the radar to show proof..that is a definate, cause i had the same lawyer demand that for me one time and it got me outta a ticket cause cop fucked up the speed...

WRONG! They do not have to show you in GA. The only thing they have to do is "test" the radar in terms of calibration.

These "urban legends" kill me...

Sport1.3
11-20-2006, 09:28 AM
WRONG! They do not have to show you in GA. The only thing they have to do is "test" the radar in terms of calibration.

CORRECT! lol...you muct have gotten alotta tickets too. However, if the officer is going to issue you a speeding citation where a radar speed detection device was used, then the officer has to offer to test the device for proper calibration prior to issuing the speeding citation, however, you have no right to watch the test being conducted.

you have to subpoena the maintenance records of the radar system, as well as the maintenance records of the tuning forks sometimes used to calibrate the radar systems. This isn’t a defense you should attempt without an attorney to represent you.

Another radar system defense is to prove that the officer wasn’t properly trained and qualified to operate a radar system, and in fact operated the radar improperly.

Dominic49
11-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Radar works in any direction, at any speed, and any angle. He could of been going 60 MPH perpendicular to you, and got an accurate reading. Trying to argue will piss the judge off. Trust me.

wrong....

doplar effect .....

so if he is perpendicular to you the radar will read 0 because no movement is towards the gun besides the officers cars...

StupidBikerBoy
11-20-2006, 06:52 PM
laser has to be stationary

very true.

Thanks, I forgot to point that out.:goodjob:

LordMDP
11-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Was it a county or state cop?

what road were you on?

what county?

Leadfoot_mf
11-20-2006, 08:43 PM

make this a sticky

Sport1.3
11-20-2006, 09:45 PM
make this a sticky

haha and the link proving all the "urban myths" that i posted b4
http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/speeding-ticket-urban-legends.html

Mike Lowrey
11-21-2006, 11:22 AM
true but at a radars furthist (sp) point it has a 300ft diameter. so anything in that "ray" will add to the speed of the car. example: say your going 45mph when he clocks you a bird swopes down at 15mph into the ray. that will add to your speed. making it look like your going 60 and not 45.

Dude, WTF?

:umno: