PDA

View Full Version : w3v2 amp?

Mr.Tib
11-18-2006, 09:56 AM
i just gotta JL w3v2 12" and lookin for an amp... can anyone give me some specs for an amp that would meet the quality of a w3? and where could i find one at an affordable price... meaning not retail price -_-

Kyle
11-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Krappy is selling a JL 500-1 or 1000-1 amp. I would look into it if I were you

BanginJimmy
11-19-2006, 10:08 PM
both a 500/1 or 1000/1 will be way too much power for the sub.

Unless your building an SQ vehicle, as long as you stay away from the fleemarket amps you wont see too much of a difference between a $150 amp and a $1000 amp.

Kyle
11-19-2006, 10:27 PM
No I am not reccomending a 1000-1. I think a 500-1 would work well. Plus with that power it would be hard to blow the sub. When you use small amp, high settings you are more likely to blow it than a high power amp with low gain settings and such. That's all I am saying, and plus one of these days he will probably want to upgrade. With the 500-1 he could jump up to the W6 one day. Agreed?

Mr.Tib
11-19-2006, 10:52 PM
yes.. u r a mind reader...
imma get a 500/1 so that i wont worry bout not gettin full potential... plus... im only startin out with a w3v2... definitely lookin in to w6's soon =]
appreciate the help... but anyone know any place for a good priced 500/1 other than e-bay? cuz that krappy guys not responding to my PM's...

Kyle
11-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Hmm... Hard to find JL's discounted. If I know of any I will let you know though Krappy is on all the time he should respond.

BanginJimmy
11-20-2006, 07:26 AM
How does not enough power blow a sub? I agree stupid people blow them by setting the gains way too high, or are dumb with the volume knob, but no one has ever blown a sub by not having enough power to it. Also a w3v2 will get to xmax well before you get to its RMS power. I believe it only takes about 200 watts in a JL reccomended sealed box. After you reach x-max, adding more power does very little to increase output.

R_Rated
11-20-2006, 09:24 AM
How does not enough power blow a sub? I agree stupid people blow them by setting the gains way too high, or are dumb with the volume knob, but no one has ever blown a sub by not having enough power to it. Also a w3v2 will get to xmax well before you get to its RMS power. I believe it only takes about 200 watts in a JL reccomended sealed box. After you reach x-max, adding more power does very little to increase output.

Far more subs are blown with not enough power than too much power! The reason is, it takes ALOT of power in addition to the peak to push the cone out of the magnet and blow it.... but unhealthy distortion will blow a speaker in a heartbeat. People who underpower things and try to compensate with turning everything up will not get desired volume and WILL blow their subs... nomatter how badass the sub is.

Also, Just because your amp is 8x the power the sub needs does not mean you have to use it... My bass rig (for my bass guitar) has 8,ooo watts at 8ohms (will destroy ANY car audio "8Kwatts). i do not need but about 2,000 @ 8ohms but I keep the gain down, the amps do not have to work as hard, I have ample headroom and the bottom end is incredibly solid. Different application but same concept.

Not having enough power is the fastest and easiest way to blow a sub.

BanginJimmy
11-20-2006, 09:59 AM
ok, you explained it correctly and incorrectly at the same time.

Distortion and more importantly clipping blows the sub or melts the VC. THAT IS NOT CAUSE BY TOO LITTLE POWER. IT IS CAUSED BY STUPID PEOPLE AND A VOLUME AND/OR GAIN KNOB.

R_Rated
11-20-2006, 11:19 AM
ok, you explained it correctly and incorrectly at the same time.

Distortion and more importantly clipping blows the sub or melts the VC. THAT IS NOT CAUSE BY TOO LITTLE POWER. IT IS CAUSED BY STUPID PEOPLE AND A VOLUME AND/OR GAIN KNOB.

The clipping causes the distortion and the distortion blows the sub... If you have enough power then you will not have to clip and distort your amp trying to get the volume you are looking for.

BanginJimmy
11-20-2006, 11:30 AM

try re-reading that.

phd1ck
11-20-2006, 11:10 PM
haha i have no idea which one of u is right bc i dont know a whole lot about this stuff but BanginJimmy's givin me advice before and... he knows what he's talkin about haha

BanginJimmy
11-22-2006, 11:45 AM
haha i have no idea which one of u is right bc i dont know a whole lot about this stuff but BanginJimmy's givin me advice before and... he knows what he's talkin about haha

its not about being right or wrong cause he is correct, but he's correct for the wrong reasons.

Siverprobegt
11-22-2006, 02:03 PM
If you know what he is trying to say,why dont you fix the statement that he made???

phd1ck
11-23-2006, 12:47 AM
haha ok well anyways my boys gettin a 250/1