PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Electric assist turbocharger

green91
11-18-2006, 09:00 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/touch2muchuk/130_0508_turbo_05_z.jpg

Rumored to be used on the upcoming GTR, its got an electric motor to assist in the reduction/elimination of lag..

Wurm
11-18-2006, 09:03 AM
sweet

josh green
11-18-2006, 09:07 AM
looks cool, but we all know heat and electronics DONT go together. That better be some magic ferry dust coating on that compressor.

not to mention that turbo is small enough not to need one. Lets see it on something larger, where it would actually make a difference.

green91
11-18-2006, 09:09 AM
looks cool, but we all know heat and electronics DONT go together. That better be some magic ferry dust coating on that compressor.

not to mention that turbo is small enough not to need one. Lets see it on something larger, where it would actually make a difference.

I was thinking the same thing, but garrett usually isnt a company to release products without thorough r&d so im sure theyve got something figured out.

95 Integra
11-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Interesting, I would think the electronics on the compressor side there probably only gets to upwards of 300 degrees, which you can build stuff to withstand those temps. I wonder how fast it can turn the turbo, if it disengages the turbine side and at what rpms it operates....given that will vary from motor to motor and turbo to turbo.

§treet_§peed
11-18-2006, 05:46 PM
but we are supossed to have turbo lag..it's the only thing that gives v8's a chance...

green91
11-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Well i dont have any specifics but id bet the electric motor has a 1 way clutch kinda like a bike flywheel and once the exhaust flow exceeds the electric motor's capability it spins freely, but this is just my speculation

Kyle
11-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Cool concept.

josh green
11-19-2006, 12:07 AM
it wont ever become a mainstream product though, MAYBE for a diesel truck. Hell its just like a starter, the gear kicks out and spins, then once its going it slides back in.

Kyle
11-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Why would a diesel truck need it? They may have a fuckton of turbo lag but for their purposes it's not necessary once the turbo has got them going they rarely need to accelerate too much.

Z U L8R
11-21-2006, 10:31 PM
i'm gonna start r&d on a boost controller/lag controller for that.

i wish i could help garrett make that set up, i wouldn't be the greedy part whore who makes it a bitch to replace the electric motor every time it burns out, i'd do like an external 9 turn r/c car engine that's belt driven rofl.

this idea may work though, i'd do a super elaborate cooling system with the idea of an auxhilary water pump like a walbro 255 super water pump, and it'd pump water with enough pressure to spin a windmill blade in the center cartridge which would spool the turbo not only increasing the turbo's cooling efficiency but decreasing lag at the same time! ^_^ and i'd even do an ecu controlled water pressure release valve that would open and let the water pressure spin the turbo at the ecu's desired throttle position ^_^!! i gotta start building before garrett copyrights my shit.

josh green
11-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Why would a diesel truck need it? They may have a fuckton of turbo lag but for their purposes it's not necessary once the turbo has got them going they rarely need to accelerate too much.
Well its really quite simple, a diesel truck aka transfer truck has very low gears, well they have large turbochargers. The added assistance would greatly increase the acceleration from a dead stop that you love to be behind in traffic. The short gears dont allow the turbocharger to catch up to the engine speed. Why do you think ball bearing turbochargers came about, ball bearing is useless in drag racing. The ball bearing turbochargers lose less rpm between long/slow shifts as well as boost response (needed in auto-x or road racing) and it does take a second for a big truck to shift. It would also make it easier for hill climbing, you ever seen an 18wheeler go over a mountain, it takes forever and is very dangerous. You shift a gear on an incline like that IF you could even get it out of gear, you are dead unless you bail. Think of the amount of weight they carry, the brakes sure as hell arent going to stop that thing. And if you managed to get it out of gear you sure as hell wont be accelerating back up from a dead stop. It might also be able to assist in down hill descent.

You can learn a lot about 18wheelers from rednecks that go to your local community technical college.

hydrochargers have been looked into as well and its just not practical. It would basically be a supercharger, but with added unneeded parts and fluids. I know some wrecker trucks are twincharged ( blower and turbocharger)

Kyle
11-21-2006, 11:24 PM
That was a really long response. Yes, I agree it would be helpful by the way.

§treet_§peed
11-21-2006, 11:54 PM
most deisiel (sp?) trucks and such are constently boosting..

Z U L8R
11-22-2006, 10:31 AM
the hydro charger idea is pimp ,auxillary water pump is still in the electric category not mechanical so unlike a supercharger you won't have to take a loss of power to gain power.i don't think that would be an expensive and unpractical set up. i'm gonna call garrett

speedminded
11-22-2006, 10:57 AM
it wont ever become a mainstream product though, MAYBE for a diesel truck. Hell its just like a starter, the gear kicks out and spins, then once its going it slides back in.that's exactly what i was going to say :goodjob:

josh green
11-22-2006, 09:47 PM
the hydro charger idea is pimp ,auxillary water pump is still in the electric category not mechanical so unlike a supercharger you won't have to take a loss of power to gain power.i don't think that would be an expensive and unpractical set up. i'm gonna call garrett
there was an artice in scc magazine several years back talking about hydrochargers and how impractical they are. It wouldnt ever become a mainstream product.

Most diesel truck are NOT boosting. I dont believe that the 18wheelers use the vgt turbos. It is no different than a car, there IS lag. But THIS is the reason that the vgt turbocharger has come out and starting to become mainstream. The vgt is the same concept as the electrical shit. Go drive a new powerstroke diesel, or a chevrolet and then drive an older one. The vgt ( variable geometry turbo) gives you all the low/mid/ and high range power that you would want. The only downside is a little loss in fuel mileage.

§treet_§peed
11-22-2006, 11:08 PM
LAG FTL..BOOST FTW...No traction at 30 psi when you kick it...priceless