PDA

View Full Version : Top Drifting Cars?

VegetaRules
11-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Okay, I was talking with a buddy of mine, & he asked me a question. I'm sorry if this is a repost, & or a noob question. Okay, if the 240SX is considered the #1 drift car, then whats 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10?

When he asked me I really didn't know, so I said f-it I'll take the bashing & ask.:D :goodjob: So all opinions welcolmed.....Vegeta

VegetaRules
11-16-2006, 07:06 PM
P.S before anyone starts, I own Celica, & have no intentions of drfting in anything. Thank you that is all. No damn burnouts, or doughnuts neither.:goodjob: ....Vegeta

BTLFED
11-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Honestly that is all opinion. 240s are the most common, yes, but that doesn't necessarily make them the best. I'm not saying that they are bad or anything, but there are too many variables to truly say that they are the top.

VegetaRules
11-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Honestly that is all opinion. 240s are the most common, yes, but that doesn't necessarily make them the best. I'm not saying that they are bad or anything, but there are too many variables to truly say that they are the top.

I hear you, so in your opinion whats top 5 cars to drift in?...Vegeta

Z0_o6
11-16-2006, 07:11 PM
i'd have to say look at Formula D. S2000's, Miatas, 350z's, vipers, AE86...etc etc. pretty much any rwd platform that can be tweaked to have copious amounts of controllable oversteer.

Hulud
11-16-2006, 07:12 PM
man just put some trays uner your back wheels and have fun

VTECin5th
11-16-2006, 07:13 PM
If I wore to choos a drift car I'd choose 240

Benefit
11-16-2006, 07:14 PM
ae86 , 240sx (s13, s14 , s15), 3rd gen rx7, 2nd gen rx7, mustang (it won something , forgot what ) toyota chaser just to name a few

1gDSM
11-16-2006, 07:15 PM
^^^^^^the minivan in your sig

VTECin5th
11-16-2006, 07:19 PM

porps :lmfao::lmfao:

VegetaRules

Hon, I know I made a post saying this wasn't for me to become a drifter! lol Keep up.lol :D ;) . Thanks for the input fellas. My boy has a...well, lets just say non import, & he wondered this question aloud, so I am the consumate middle man, so I went out in search of an asnswer.lol

I definately appreciate the opinions fellas. I do know there is no ONE-one car, but I wanted to get general idea of what cars. I know F&F showcases only Supra's,& RX-7's, & mixes in a surprise car every now & then.lol....Vegeta

BTLFED
I hear you, so in your opinion whats top 5 cars to drift in?...Vegeta

In no particular order:

FD RX7 (if you know how to keep the engine cool)
240SX
AE86
Miata (It's got the balance, but it's gotta have the balls to match it)

And...um....probably something JDM like a Chaser or Aristo. I'm not really into drifting personally, but all those cars have the ability to kick ass sideways (with a driver that knows what they are doing). A lot of "drifters" probably won't agree with my choices, but I could give a fuck about what they think.

Hulud
11-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Hon, I know I made a post saying this wasn't for me to become a drifter! lol Keep up.lol :D ;) . Thanks for the input fellas. My boy has a...well, lets just say non import, & he wondered this question aloud, so I am the consumate middle man, so I went out in search of an asnswer.lol

I definately appreciate the opinions fellas. I do know there is no ONE-one car, but I wanted to get general idea of what cars. I know F&F showcases only Supra's,& RX-7's, & mixes in a surprise car every now & then.lol....Vegeta
Hon?

i know i was just fuckin around about the trays

VTECin5th
11-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Hon?

No you woren't thats what you doo

VegetaRules
11-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Hon?

LOL, it's okay man, I know you're a humerous guy, it's what you do. No offense taken. lol Oh don't worry, not fruity, just talk to alot of females, & they call me hon all the time, so it accidently comes out. LMAO....Vegeta

Hulud
11-16-2006, 07:28 PM
LOL, it's okay man, I know you're a humerous guy, it's what you do. No offense taken.
glad you realize this lol

lol Oh don't worry, not fruity, just talk to alot of females, & they call me hon all the time, so it accidently comes out. LMAO....Vegeta
ah ghey lol

ATK_Designs
11-16-2006, 07:39 PM
this > *

http://us.tnpv.net/2006/WKA200610/WKA2006103149326_pv.jpg

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=435094

HeLLo iM iZzY
11-16-2006, 08:21 PM
I like to drift my four door Civic in the Target parking lots after they close. I hope to one day share the tracks with the top dawgs, y0 !

VegetaRules
11-16-2006, 08:28 PM
I like to drift my four door Civic in the Target parking lots after they close. I hope to one day share the tracks with the top dawgs, y0 !

LOL boy you's nutty.lol:goodjob: ....Vegeta

The Green Monster
11-16-2006, 08:31 PM
depends on the driver

but i like

supra
skyline gts-t's personally
240's
Hachi's
I wanna see like a 510, 70's Celica, or like a 72 Skyline :bump:

GTScoob
11-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Mustang. No turbo lag and tremendous torque for spinning the rear tires. Throw in the IRS from the SVT Cobra and it should be decent.

Even though I did see this one vid on Youtube of some guy drifting the hell out of his Civic, I might recommend that as #2.

VegetaRules
11-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Oh yeah, thanks fellas for not turning this into a 6 page craziness. Positive reps for all who posted:goodjob: :goodjob: ....Vegeta

Leadfoot_mf
11-16-2006, 11:32 PM
the key to drift cars is expense the cheaper the better since there is a good chance of wrecking them. that is why 240, ae86 and miata's are the top choice before difting started to become big u could give away 240's now people are getting high $ for them.

Dominic49
11-16-2006, 11:46 PM
1989 bmw 325is....

touring...

http://www.bmworg.ru/img/cars/e30_touring_056_1.jpg

JITB
11-16-2006, 11:50 PM
it seems like the popular type cars dont win as much as the heavier more powerful cars do.. it almost seems like a bigger more powerful car is a success for drifting.

unkn0wndj
11-16-2006, 11:56 PM
The popular choices are cheaper..

it seems like the popular type cars dont win as much as the heavier more powerful cars do.. it almost seems like a bigger more powerful car is a success for drifting.

JITB
11-17-2006, 12:03 AM
mustangs are cheap

Benefit
11-17-2006, 12:06 AM

you dont know anything about that minivan...its got the mustang gt engine . it spins 3rd gear and its automatic. no joke

JITB
11-17-2006, 12:44 AM
i believe u ive heard of windstars with v8 swaps..

Doppelgänger
11-17-2006, 07:56 AM
I dont think there really is a "best" or "#1" car for drifting. I have driven pretty much all the popular chassis of "drift cars (S2000, Miata [duh], AE86, 300ZX, 240SX [SR and KA], FC RX-7) and they're all different. In my opinion, the 240 is most popular because thats what was seen drifing in Japan because the options they get they we didnt. Also, the car is relatively easy to drive/drift as its demenor is pretty slow reacting. The 300ZX TT i drove was similar to this too, just with better power delivery. Smaller cars like the AE86 (made popular by Initial D) require more power mods to make better, though i made my 96 Miata very adept for drifting in n/a form with decent suspension. The handling on these cars is much more twitchy and requires MUCH more driver input to keep the car sliding as it would rather grip. I dont think the Miatas caught on because they hold their value (for the better ones with 1.8 and Torsen LSD's) and because of the "girly" image a lot of people assosiate with them. Too bad ;)

I myself enjoy having a car that takes a lot of "staying on top of" to drift, and its still "different" to be drifting a Miata.

But for prespective in price:

240-----
Chassis- $1500 to $2000 for a beat up car with no care for looks, $3000+ for a clean body and good condition.
SR- $2000 for a good deal on a motor and install.
Suspension- $800/$1200+ for good new stuff
intercooler- $300+
LSD- $600+ for something good (not a VLSD from J30 or HICAS car, VLSD is acceptable but others are much better and mroe consistant)

Miata-----
90-93 with 1.6 and no lsd $1000-$3000
94-97 with 1.8 and TorsenLSD $2500-$5000
Various Turbo kits- $2000-$5000
Superchargers-$2200-$4000 (there is a bad ass one for $2500 with potential to go to 300rwhp)
Suspension $500-$1200 for new stuff

See... its all relative to what you like to look at.

OK, i would type more, but im at work and need to get going.

HeLLo iM iZzY
11-17-2006, 08:03 AM
1989 bmw 325is....

touring...

http://www.bmworg.ru/img/cars/e30_touring_056_1.jpg

Nice Bimmer.

LS2ner
11-17-2006, 08:25 AM
The first american to win the D1GP was driving a Mustang. I think thats what you were referring to. Vaughn Gitton Jr. was the driver.

Ran
11-17-2006, 01:35 PM
it seems like the popular type cars dont win as much as the heavier more powerful cars do.. it almost seems like a bigger more powerful car is a success for drifting.Heavy + Power = Lots of Smoke
Lots of Smoke = Happy Judges
Happy Judges = You Win

I personally don't care how much smoke is put down. To me, it's all about the line. If you're smoking tires like crazy but swinging wide, then it's no good. Kind of like the Datsun I had.

civic95
11-17-2006, 01:59 PM
We all know skylines are the king. OMG!! did you just read that? I wrote skyline. Let me go jack off now:nautjerk: to an Initial D video.

Brady
11-17-2006, 02:01 PM
uhm....................anything with an ls1?

Nemesis
11-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Z31

Brady
11-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Z31

:goodjob: you tore it up with that beast.

civic95
I'm still waiting to see a big F-350 diesel dually drift

Nemesis
:goodjob: you tore it up with that beast.

:lmfao:

1gDSM
11-17-2006, 02:18 PM
you dont know anything about that minivan...its got the mustang gt engine . it spins 3rd gear and its automatic. no joke

:gay::goodjob: got pics??? pest em up!:camera:

WWJDrift
11-17-2006, 02:44 PM

BALLIN

JITB
11-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Heavy + Power = Lots of Smoke
Lots of Smoke = Happy Judges
Happy Judges = You Win

I personally don't care how much smoke is put down. To me, it's all about the line. If you're smoking tires like crazy but swinging wide, then it's no good. Kind of like the Datsun I had.

but the ppl with thesmoke, have ahard time being followed iin the duels.. so thats a plus. not to many high powered NA imports drifting, if i were building a car to drift it would prob be v8 powered alot cheaper to make alot of power without FI.

CRX3R
11-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Well we can't say that the 240 is the best but it is damn shore close.. But any car can drift (if converted to FR) sh-t they even got skyline's and Evo's that drift now. So in my opinion there are way too many options to pick a real order...

§treet_§peed
11-17-2006, 06:37 PM
CIVIC FTW!!!!!

mikespeed95
11-19-2006, 06:53 PM
1. nismo 240sx
2. toyota previa
3. chevrolet duramax cargo van, gas model sucks
4. used box truck with open diff
5. 53 studabaker
6. horse & carriage
7. one pair lollerskates
8. el camino
9. stolen ambulance with welded diff
10. nick hogan in a viper

BTLFED
11-19-2006, 07:27 PM
1. nismo 240sx
2. toyota previa
3. chevrolet duramax cargo van, gas model sucks
4. used box truck with open diff
5. 53 studabaker
6. horse & carriage
7. one pair lollerskates
8. el camino
9. stolen ambulance with welded diff
10. nick hogan in a viper

11. 74 AMC Gremlin with stock 6cyl
12. Hyster gas Forklift
13. 78 Corolla Wagon
14. S13 240SX with a magnacharged LS1 and bling chrome wheels ;)

mikespeed95
11-20-2006, 09:51 PM
i think you are giving #14 too much credit.

swolejamaica
11-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Thats ass dragging lol. I used to do that!!!:goodjob:

LOL boy you's nutty.lol:goodjob: ....Vegeta

SeanDean
11-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Aw man lol at some of the stuff being listed. Mikespeed is almost dead on, but to be completely serious;

You need to ask a few questions and then qualify which cars are suited to the task.

Obviously any drift car needs to be RWD, but what's important in drifting?

In order of importance:
1-Angle
2-Staying sideways
3-Speed

Angle requires steering angle.

Staying sideways= controllability and power to maintain a drift...
So this one means BALANCE AND POWER/TORQUE DELIVERY

Speed requires a car with handling(this means drivability and feedback, not skidpad numbers)

Well very few cars actually meet all three of these requirements.

Most of the polular drift cars only meet 2

The biggest exceptions I can think of are the E46 M3 and E39 M5. Too bad most of us cant afford those cars and noone really wants to take their own out and beat on it.

So based on the above, here is my list of the best drift cars and their strengths. These are all cars I have driven by the way. And I would have listed a few Benzes except for them being automatic only....

E46 M3 has great angle, great power, and great handling

E39 M5 has great angle, great power and good handling.

240sx has great angle, low power, good handling.

FD RX7 has ok angle, good power, and great handling.

Miata has decent angle, ok power, great handling.

E34 BMW has good angle, ok power, and good handling.

E30 BMW's have good angle, ok power, and ok-good handling

E36 BMW's have good angle, ok power, and good handling

79-2005 Mustangs have good angle, ok-good power and ok handling.

Viper has low angle, great power, ok-good handling

FC RX7 has low angle, ok power and good handling

Corvettes have low angle, good-great power, and good-great handling.

Remember that these are just stock setups. Almost any of these cars can be modified to fix the shortcomings.

Also notice that I rank steering angle as very important. Maybe not all judges would agree with me, but generally you can do more impressive looking drifting when you have more steering angle, and especially do very fast and very sideways transitions. Transitions can be a real bitch in a car that has little steering angle... very easy to spin.

-Sean

down_shift
11-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Sean whats your background?

Kalifornia087
11-21-2006, 04:09 PM
8. el camino

El Camino FTW! I wish you were still tearing it up in that thing. Though the 240 nwo is fucking insane too... Hell Camino was the best!

mikespeed95
11-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Aw man lol at some of the stuff being listed. Mikespeed is almost dead on, but to be completely serious;

You need to ask a few questions and then qualify which cars are suited to the task.

In order of importance:
1-Angle
2-Staying sideways
3-Speed

Speed requires a car with handling(this means drivability and feedback, not skidpad numbers)

The biggest exceptions I can think of are the E46 M3 and E39 M5. Too bad most of us cant afford those cars and noone really wants to take their own out and beat on it.

So based on the above, here is my list of the best drift cars and their strengths. These are all cars I have driven by the way. And I would have listed a few Benzes except for them being automatic only....

Remember that these are just stock setups. Almost any of these cars can be modified to fix the shortcomings.

Also notice that I rank steering angle as very important. Maybe not all judges would agree with me, but generally you can do more impressive looking drifting when you have more steering angle, and especially do very fast and very sideways transitions. Transitions can be a real bitch in a car that has little steering angle... very easy to spin.

-Sean

mustangs are boop.

AE86 Dorifto
11-21-2006, 08:32 PM

In order of importance:
1-Angle
2-Staying sideways
3-Speed

-Sean

You're talking stock aren't you? And if so, wtf is with the e30 having even "ok power"? Don't get me wrong, the e30 is one of my favorite cars ever, but stock the power is shit. Unless you're just going out and having a little bit of fun. They are torquey lil bastards for just going to the back of a warehouse but not competition.

In my opinion it's the driver not the car. I mean come on. Alex Pfeiffer (driver of the RSR s2000) recently entered the Formula D amatuer-pro competition with a bone stock AE86. He said the car was the worst peice of shit he had ever driven deeming it "undrivable". Guess what? He whooped everybody's ass. The best drift car you ask? AE86. Maybe it won't win competitions. So why call it the best drift car? The feel. The response.The willingness of the car to rev up to redline. Just the overall fun. Why drift if you're not having fun? Just my :2cents: .

P.S. I know I'm gonna get flamed for this so I'll just tell you ahead of time. I'm not some guy that watched initial D and Said "OMG ThAt is t3h BestZorz Car 3v0r!!!11!1!!" I played with the car on Gran Turismo and decided I wanted one. About a year after I discovered initial D. I didn't think the car was badass because it was in an anime, I thought the anime was badass because the car I dreamed of having was in it after about a year of some friends thinking I was retarded for my dream car being a 1986 Corolla.

mikespeed95
11-22-2006, 01:43 PM
how did alex p enter pro am when he was judging it?

AE86 Dorifto
11-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Iono that's just what I read in some article on the internet.

down_shift
11-22-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm not some guy that watched initial D and Said "OMG ThAt is t3h BestZorz Car 3v0r!!!11!1!!" I played with the car on Gran Turismo and decided I wanted one.

classic!

Ran
11-22-2006, 04:56 PM
I didn't think the car was badass because it was in an anime, I thought the anime was badass because the car I dreamed of having was in it after about a year of some friends thinking I was retarded for my dream car being a 1986 Corolla.lol, I remember seeing the first couple episodes of 4th stage with the Miata. I thought that was cool as hell since I had my own Miata at the time. Oh well...

Also, who put FC as a good drift car? Unless you making gobs of power, I discourage it. The car in base form (unless a Turbo-II) has no power and even less torque. By the time you even get to a moderate speed you're at the first corner. The car simply doesn't have the torque to keep the wheels spinning and the angle up.

For a beginner, try something like a 240SX (classic everybodyhasone-drifter car) or maybe an older Mustang GT (Foxbody is popular). :)

VegetaRules
11-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks again for all the input fellas. Again, I'm not trying to start drifting( well no time soon lol ;) ) My friend just wondered, & I wondered as well, & I knew you brilliant IA guys would know.:goodjob:

I was a tad surprised noone had ever asked this particular question tho. But if I were to " drift" I would like to do it in a non-popular car. Tho I'm not drifting in it, I have decided to get myself a 04-06 GTO, so I'm going to sell or trade in my ricer Celica in January.lol

As another guy put it " if you want to boost your Celica to make it faster, here's how......Buy a faster car.lol".:lmfao: :lmfao: :goodjob: ....Vegeta

BTLFED
11-23-2006, 12:09 PM
i think you are giving #14 too much credit.

Boo :hiss: :lmfao:

I do love how people in this thread think they know what's up by playing a video game. :lmfao:

DrivenMind
11-23-2006, 05:41 PM
I love how everyong think Corolla's are only good for drifting. I've driven a wide variety of RWD cars under an even wider varierty of circumstances; AE86s (20v, 4AGE, and 3TC powered), Miatas (all gens, one turbo), 240s (all gens, KA, SR, & RB powered), FB, FC, 350z, Mustangs, Crown Vics (all gens), Cobras, Corvettes, Cressida's, S2000s, BMWs (325s, and 525s, 535s, a Supercharged Z3).

I asked myself this question for months before I finally settled on a Corolla, and actually I wouldn't have been interested in one had I not driven one by coincidence a few months before. I've yet to stumble across anything that drives like an AE86. The closest thing I've come to is a go kart, or maybe a Miata. It's unbelieveable. I know everyone who reads this is probably going think I'm just partial to them because I own one, but truth be told, I was partial to it the second I got behind the wheel. It's like telepathic driving, you think about where you want to drive the car, and the car follows your thoughts.

240s are great, and especially good for the money, when it comes to "drifting" or really anything performance related. The AE86 is good at drifting, because it's simply one of those cars that when you know what you're doing with it, you can do anything you want. Grip, or Drift, it doesn't matter the little heap of shit is at your disposal, provided you have the discipline to learn to control it.

DrivenMind
11-23-2006, 05:43 PM
As another guy put it " if you want to boost your Celica to make it faster, here's how......Buy a faster car.lol".:lmfao: :lmfao: :goodjob: ....Vegeta

eh... fuck him. A good buddy of mine just boosted his Celica GT-S, and it's plenty quick. Don't let other people make up your mind for you, just do your research and decide if your car fits your budget, and your driving style.

mikespeed95
11-23-2006, 05:58 PM
take your faggot ass celicas out of this drift thread.

GTScoob
11-23-2006, 06:08 PM
eh... fuck him. A good buddy of mine just boosted his Celica GT-S, and it's plenty quick. Don't let other people make up your mind for you, just do your research and decide if your car fits your budget, and your driving style.

I know a guy who boosted one, blew the motor, put another built motor in, and even that one blew up. I think somewhere in between he might have even blown up a third motor.

VegetaRules
11-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Well 1st to the noob talking bout my Celica. Please read my initial post, this wasn't a thread created for me to learn to drift. The thread was to honestly get a opinion on top drifting cars, as it was a question posed to me.

Now I have had a change of plans, I am keeping the Celica, & boosting it, & I do know what I can do to it, & basically where the HP Boost ends.lol The fiancee' just informed me tonight that I will have a project Supra on, or before my B-day.:goodjob: :D :goodjob: :yes:

So I'll just make them both fast and knockout one of my dream cars to own. Again thanks to all the people who contributed some great info on this question/topic.:goodjob: .....Vegeta

mikespeed95
11-23-2006, 11:44 PM
i just like to whore up threads and cause problems

but celicas are gay

drift racing is cool

drifting supra project sounds badass

VegetaRules
11-24-2006, 02:04 AM
Oh no offense taken sir.:goodjob: Celica's however are not gay, just misunderstood. lol I do enjoy watchign cars drift, but I'm more into racing, tho I'd like to race on a course, moreso than just doing 1/4, or 1/8 races.

The Supra won't be a drift Supra, it'll be more all go/all show, & the staple car of my car club. Every club needs that lead car, so hopefully this one will be ours. Plus it's a car I've always wanted as well, so that owns too.:D .....Vegeta

mikespeed95
11-24-2006, 03:10 AM
richard simmons says he is misunderstood too.

Doppelgänger
11-24-2006, 10:53 AM
i would like to try drifting a newer GTO... i really like those cars... dunno why...

VegetaRules
11-24-2006, 11:10 AM
i would like to try drifting a newer GTO... i really like those cars... dunno why...

Yeah, same here. I was thinking of getting the GTO just to boost it as sleeper car. One you don't see many of them, nor do you really hear anyone talk about them.

I'm still reasearching thier HP potential, & the availability/prices of their parts. I still may get one anyhow next year around tax time.....Vegeta

mikespeed95
11-24-2006, 12:52 PM
ugh, it has a ls1/ls2. it has more potential than you can afford pal. lsjuaaanaaannnnnnn

AE86 Dorifto
11-24-2006, 01:29 PM

Fuck the new ones. Drift with the old ones with the 454 (I think).

mikespeed95
11-24-2006, 08:33 PM
stop thinking before you hurt yourself.

ls1 or go home.

Kalifornia087
11-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Also, who put FC as a good drift car? Unless you making gobs of power, I discourage it.

or maybe an older Mustang GT (Foxbody is popular). :)

Wrong! The FC is actually a good platform. I love mine to death. It's a really well balanced car that has lots of aftermarket.

As for Fox bodies.... Two words. Snap Oversteer. They're manageable, but harder than most...

Sorry Nate, Had to!

-Austin

mikespeed95
11-29-2006, 10:48 PM
yah, i have a stock FC

that thing drifts great other than not having shit for steering angle. honestly i like it better than S chassis.

but its kinda ugly.

BTLFED
11-29-2006, 10:49 PM
yah, i have a stock FC

that thing drifts great other than not having shit for steering angle. honestly i like it better than S chassis.

but its kinda ugly.

Bahahaha! :lmfao:

BTLFED
11-29-2006, 10:50 PM
As for Fox bodies.... Two words. Snap Oversteer.

Actually, that's what I was thinking too.

mikespeed95
11-29-2006, 10:55 PM
just to clarify, as much as i hate rotaries with a passion, i did buy a stock n/a fc so that my hatred could grow with full understanding of rotaries.

low on power
no torque

but for a more advanced driver, its way more fun that a s13. it has a lot more grip and its just more fun to toss around, while slightly more difficult if you know what your doing the FC just feels better.

but they are fucking ugly. not that a 240 is that much better. and theres not shit for wheel/tire clearance.