PDA

View Full Version : Heat Resistant Gasket??

loSiRcity
11-15-2006, 09:47 PM
hey yall i know they got em but i cant find one for my car... its a phenolic intake gasket that is supposed to reduce the heat transfer from the head to the intake manifold. im looking for a kit to put in a 91 crx si with the stock d16a6. the only ones i can find are for 92 and up civics, i've checked with honda already and there doesnt seem to be a 92 and up gasket that would fit my motor. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

§treet_§peed
11-16-2006, 10:35 AM
E-Bay FTW

Z U L8R
11-16-2006, 10:58 AM
what's the point? i've never heard of an overheating issue being resolved by a gasket......a gasket's purpose is to seal, not transfer heat...and if it did transfer heat it'd be what like 2 degrees, so if your concern is having your car running 2 degrees colder, you could get a 5 degree cooler thermostat and not have to take your whole intake manifold off....

§treet_§peed
11-16-2006, 04:20 PM
lol

loSiRcity
11-16-2006, 07:27 PM
good point lol. i've just heard good things on its side. thanks for the response. here's what i read and maybe yall can give ur thoughts on this:

"Hondata has developed a special high temperature insulating gasket which replaces the stock intake gasket. The Honda manifold is heated in up to 5 places - From the cylinder head, the cold idle valve, the idle control valve and the throttle body heater. Hondata’s new gasket coupled with bypassing several heat sources significantly reduces the transfer of heat from the cylinder head to the intake manifold and incoming air giving you up to 5% more power. The intake manifold is made of aluminum and because it is heated by the cylinder head from combustion and coolant, it works to increase intake air temperature by as much as 75° F. In fact, for every 5° F rise in intake temperature, air density drops 1%. The hotter the air, the less fuel the computer injects to compensate for reduced oxygen. Around town, testing has shown an average drop of around 20 degrees F which is good for a 3 percent power increase. In certain conditions a 50° F drop has been measured. The Heat shield gasket kit contains an insulating gasket and installation instructions."

btw: im not doing this to fix an "overheating" problem. im supercharging my engine and since im going to be right there i was wondering if its worth putting in.

scttydb411
11-16-2006, 09:29 PM
it is worth it. i have a d-series hondata gasket i haven't installed yet. if you have a regular gasket that fit's your intake manny you're more than welcome to see if they match. if they do i can get another one.

§treet_§peed
11-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Interesting...

loSiRcity
11-17-2006, 07:25 PM
k so i got the gaskets for a 91 crx si and a 92 civic ex and compared them and everything is exactly the same except for the port size wich can be fixed by some modification to the head and supercharger ports (basically matching the ports will fix this which is what i was originally going to do ne ways) so my question is answered hopefully it'll answer someone else's :)

§treet_§peed
11-17-2006, 10:36 PM
made me start thinking about trying one lol

scttydb411
11-18-2006, 05:31 AM
from hondata:

Hondata have developed a special high temperature insulating gasket which replaces the stock intake gasket. This and bypassing several heat sources significantly reduces the transfer of heat from the head to the intake and incoming air giving you up to 5% more power.

Turbocharged cars often use an aluminum intercooler to cool the air compressed by the turbo. The intake manifold is also made of aluminum but because it is heated by the head from combustion and coolant, works in reverse to an intercooler by heating the intake air by as much as 50° C.

Fact: For every 3.3 °C (5° F) rise in intake temperature, air density drops 1%. The hotter the air, the less fuel the computer injects to compensate for reduced oxygen. HondaLogger datalogging software has enabled us to measure intake air temperature under varied driving conditions.

Around town, testing has shown an average drop of around 10 degrees C which is good for around 3 percent power increase. Remember though that 3 percent power increase is difficult to feel. You'd feel a greater change in performance getting rid of that passenger. In certain conditions a 30° C drop has been measured.

The Honda manifold is heated in up to 5 places. From the head, the interior heating takeoff hose, the cold idle valve, the idle control valve and the throttle body heater. The Heatshield gasket kit contains an insulating gasket, and installation instructions. A race version only version with the thermostat bypass blocked is also available.

--graph supposed to be here, but too lazy to post--

The graph above shows the results of installing the Heatshield gasket and bypassing the throttle body heating and idle control valve heating. If you examine a Type R intake manifold you will find that most sources of water heating are removed. Further temperature drops are possible when in addition the interior heating hose is blocked. What the graph shows, is that as you open the throttle, the intake temperature drops slowly as it cools the intake. When you descend a hill with the throttle closed or drive around town on a light throttle the temperature climbs quickly. It takes a good 15-20 seconds for the temperature to drop again when you open the throttle. So if you start your 1/4 mile drag with a hot intake manifold - you are only starting to develop maximum power near the end of the run when the intake has been cooled. The Heatshield gasket kit gives you 4-5% more power immediately by lowering the intake temperature.

Z U L8R
11-21-2006, 05:23 PM
o i c. this is like steroids for a cold air intake, ic ic. i can understand a heat sheild/gasket in between the head and the intake manifold sheilding heat from the engine kind of like a heat shield on a turbo but the other stuff honestly...i think it's propaganda.

i think it's a gimick to get you to spend your money. installing your supercharger your going to have to be tuned anyways, tuning is what's going to dictate your computer's quantity of fuel injected. there are cars with intake air temp sensors but they're usually on the airbox or snorkel not in the plenum, thus plenum temperature would be a moot point in the computer's reading of one of those to dictate fuel delivery. the computer however does get information from your coolant temperature sensor which helps dictate richer in cold conditions etc. and having colder air ingested will result in more oxygen molecules to fuel, thus leaner, thus more powerful but a magical gasket that will make your car gain 10 horses, unless it's inbetween the head and the block, i'm gonna be a little skeptical.

basically if the gaskets need to be replaced anyways since you're taking it apart, IF those gaskets are similarly priced then give em a shot what can it hurt, if they're expensive...then you're smaller wallet is compensating for a bigger hope and expectation, a false sense of security that you're paying extra for. i can say though...my old old old old sr20 car beat a lot of cars i shouldn't have beaten and i wasn't running any thermostat, but those winter nights were cold as shit and changing plugs every winter month got to be costly and annoying.

good luck with your car though, i look forward to seeing some pics when it's done

§treet_§peed
11-21-2006, 06:46 PM
^ well put

Z U L8R
11-21-2006, 10:09 PM
the thing i didn't mention was that they also said to bypass a lot of coolant that flows through the intake manifold and devices thereon, THAT is where the temperature drop is, not from gaskets. the reason throttle body get's heat is to warm up the air going in (what YOU in particular are trying to avoid) which keeps the car running richer, it's purpose is for emissions reasons, since you're supercharging i'm pretty sure you don't care at all about that, basically i'm agreeing with yes you will have lower intake air temps by bypassing some coolant flow through the intake manifold BUT, the gaskets shouldn't receive any glamour for the result of lower temp because of the bypasses.

scttydb411
11-21-2006, 10:43 PM
i think it's a gimick to get you to spend your money. installing your supercharger your going to have to be tuned anyways, tuning is what's going to dictate your computer's quantity of fuel injected. there are cars with intake air temp sensors but they're usually on the airbox or snorkel not in the plenum, thus plenum temperature would be a moot point in the computer's reading of one of those to dictate fuel delivery. the computer however does get information from your coolant temperature sensor which helps dictate richer in cold conditions etc. and having colder air ingested will result in more oxygen molecules to fuel, thus leaner, thus more powerful but a magical gasket that will make your car gain 10 horses, unless it's inbetween the head and the block, i'm gonna be a little skeptical.

the iat is actuall mounted on the intake manifold on all b-series and on all jrsc manifolds. the charger is going to heat up the intake charge and if you can keep from adding additional heat through transfer of the block to the manifold you will be better off.

tuning does dictate the amount of fuel delivered, but there are also enrichments based on engine coolant temps as well as intake air temps.

they are pricey, but also reuseable as long as you don't damage/bend it. surely anything a company puts out as marketing on a product is designed to do just that...market it for what it is and what it can do for you. they may or may not exaggerate to sell, but that's why they try and give some sort of real world data to help explain what it can do.

you do notice your car making more power when it's cooler outside as opposed to the dead of summer. basically this is the same premise by trying to drop intake temps to make a little more power.

Z U L8R
11-21-2006, 11:12 PM
ya i wasn't sure of the location of iat sensor on his motor, but my overall point is what i stated later, the temperature drop is from the hose bypassing not gaskets.

you can spend a lot of money and waste a lot of time protecting your intake manifold from conductive heat transfers, there's still a hood trapping heat in, cf hood = $$ and there's also other ways of cooling, better radiator, better fans, shrouds, sheilds.

losircity if i was put in your situation, i would bypass my throttle body at most and get a colder thermostat, total cost $12 thermostat, $8.99 for 1gal of anti-freeze, and throw in a $5 miscellaneous hose and clamps for the bypass LOL.