PDA

View Full Version : For Sale thread suggestion

Jaimecbr900
11-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Mods, a little latitude on this please.

Just making a suggestion for the powers that be.

If someone has a "for sale" thread, anywhere on IA, and the original poster of the thread BUMPS their own thread more than 3x's......it's time to lock it and move on.

If you have to BUMP your own thread more than 3x's and you've gotten reasonable traffic looking at it......it is either overpriced or not interested. Either way, it's just bumping up for no reason. If you didn't have everyone jockeying for position, then you may not even need to "bump" a thread for it to stay in the 1st page.

Many people sell all kinds of stuff on IA. IA has it's rules on how to post and sell on here. It's not rocket science. But people bump old ass sale threads or threads that obviously are not going to sell unless you do something (i.e. drop the price) and it just takes up more space.

There's nothing wrong with a bump from SOMEONE ELSE saying "gl on the sale", or "bump for a good price", or "bump for a good item", yada yada. But for the original poster to keep on and on with "TT", or "daily bump" is just annoying and counter productive IMO.

Agree or disagree?

ShooterMcGavin
11-15-2006, 10:48 AM
disagree, there's so much stuff that gets posted on here that sometimes things just get lost, most ppl aren't going to go way back to look for things that might still be for sale.

Sammich
11-15-2006, 10:49 AM
yea...dnt bump so much during the day, but occasional bumpage is good

hemi
11-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Mods, a little latitude on this please.

Just making a suggestion for the powers that be.

If someone has a "for sale" thread, anywhere on IA, and the original poster of the thread BUMPS their own thread more than 3x's......it's time to lock it and move on.

If you have to BUMP your own thread more than 3x's and you've gotten reasonable traffic looking at it......it is either overpriced or not interested. Either way, it's just bumping up for no reason. If you didn't have everyone jockeying for position, then you may not even need to "bump" a thread for it to stay in the 1st page.

Many people sell all kinds of stuff on IA. IA has it's rules on how to post and sell on here. It's not rocket science. But people bump old ass sale threads or threads that obviously are not going to sell unless you do something (i.e. drop the price) and it just takes up more space.

There's nothing wrong with a bump from SOMEONE ELSE saying "gl on the sale", or "bump for a good price", or "bump for a good item", yada yada. But for the original poster to keep on and on with "TT", or "daily bump" is just annoying and counter productive IMO.

Agree or disagree?

I second this motion.... There are somethings for sale on here, that are getting no interest. You look at the thread, and 90% of the posts are the seller bumping..

Jaimecbr900
11-15-2006, 10:52 AM
disagree, there's so much stuff that gets posted on here that sometimes things just get lost, most ppl aren't going to go way back to look for things that might still be for sale.

That's what the Search function is for.

It's not that hard to find something on IA if you just put it into the Search function.

My point is that I see on a daily basis atleast 10 threads that are being bumped over and over and over and over and over again by the original poster when it's painfully obvious either A: noone wants whatever they're selling or B: it's overpriced and noone wants it.

People sell their stuff on here quick. I've bought stuff off people here quite a few times. But to just keep bumping and bumping and bumping....damn, get the hint already and move on.

Jaimecbr900
11-15-2006, 10:56 AM
I second this motion.... There are somethings for sale on here, that are getting no interest. You look at the thread, and 90% of the posts are the seller bumping..

EXACTLY.

That's what I mean....if the original poster is the ONLY ONE bumping the thread over and over and over again......come on, give it up and move on.

If there's interest from OTHER PEOPLE, it's one thing. But to have a thread with 95% "TT" or "bumpity bump" by the same person.......it's gay IMO.

Close it and make room for new stuff people may be interested in.

ShooterMcGavin
11-15-2006, 10:59 AM
you and i know to use the search function, others might not or just do not. while i agree it's annoying to see threads get bumped once a day, i don't see anything wrong w/bumping something that's fallen behind a few pgs.

hemi
11-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Exhibit A

http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?t=86768
(sorry dude..)

Sammich
11-15-2006, 11:05 AM
what about dude whose been tryna sell the rsx wheels for $250

Jaimecbr900
11-15-2006, 11:05 AM
you and i know to use the search function, others might not or just do not. while i agree it's annoying to see threads get bumped once a day, i don't see anything wrong w/bumping something that's fallen behind a few pgs.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to bump at all.

I'm saying that after 3x's of the ORIGINAL poster doing it.....it's time to let that thread sink to the bottom and die.

If you haven't gotten enough interest in bumping it to the top 3x's......there is NO interest. Not everything is going to sell. People need to realize that. Either adjust the price to get it to move or give it a good shot and move on when it doesn't sell.

But this bump bump bump bump stuff is irritating and takes up space other people with more interesting stuff could be taking.

My point is that there should be a point at which IA says, "your shit is NOT going to sell...." When is that point? If someone has another suggestion, that's what this thread is for. Once interest in my rant dies down, this too can sink down to the bottom and widdle away into the archives.

Killer
11-15-2006, 11:12 AM
disagree..... one i'm one of those kids that bumps my own junk... i don't get a lot of posts in my thread.. but the more i bump the more views it gets... and i get a pretty good bit of pm's this way as well... some people don't take the time to bump if they are going to be pm'ing you about it anyway.

now bumping it like ten times a day, that's a different story. i normally bump twice a day... morning, and evening.

Jaimecbr900
11-15-2006, 11:21 AM
disagree..... one i'm one of those kids that bumps my own junk... i don't get a lot of posts in my thread.. but the more i bump the more views it gets... and i get a pretty good bit of pm's this way as well... some people don't take the time to bump if they are going to be pm'ing you about it anyway.

now bumping it like ten times a day, that's a different story. i normally bump twice a day... morning, and evening.

#1. Views is exactly what I'm talking about here. If your thread gets "viewed" 100 times and you have 1 response......that's a sign.

#2. If someone is showing interest via PM's, then close the deal thru PM's. What's the use of bumping a thread that you're negotiating with someone else? Do you want multiple offers? Are you fishing for the best bid? No, you probably want it sold to the first person with the money you agree on, right? Well, why keep bumping the thread while negotiations are going on?

#3. Again, I'm not talking about a legitimate bump or a bump by someone else. If you are changing the price, that's not a wasteful bump. If you are updating something on the original post, that's a legit bump. If you are bumped by someone else, that's a legit bump. Hell, even you can bump your own 3 or 4 times, that's cool. But to keep doing it over and over and over again, it's counter productive.

#4. This does not apply at all to site sponsors. ;) That should be a perk of being a "sponsor". ;)