PDA

View Full Version : !!!HELP!!! - Rusted rear suspension bolts

Ehron
11-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey guys. I was installing a camber kit on a 99 Civic that began life in NJ. I wasn't aware that suspension bolts would rust to the suspension parts on northern cars. Well long story short, the head of the bolt that secures the upper arm to the trailing arm snapped off; 1 trip to Sears, 2 trips to Home Depot, and a wasted Sunday later resulted in a mangled screw that will never leave the rear trailing arm.

However, I have rear discs (and trailing arms) that I can throw on the car. I already found at least one more rusted bolt when trying to remove the trailing arm. Is their any way I can prepare them to be removed, or am I screwed? Any chemicals I can soak them in, any technique that I can use to remove rusted bolts? I tried drilling a hole, and using a screw extractor. The screw extractor snapped off in the screw...

This is very important as I have to have this done by Friday. Please share any tips that you may have.

Thanks.

Z U L8R
11-13-2006, 10:19 PM
#1 PB BLASTER is the second best shit in the world under a torch LOL

#2 Use real tools, snap on tools are expensive but they won't round nuts off 99% of the time, you don't buy a drill cause you want a drill you buy a drill to make a hole. you buy good tools because you want to take off nuts without rounding them out etc.

#3 at this point your only hope is pb blaster and some decent vise grips (those are the pliers that lock).

§treet_§peed
11-13-2006, 10:56 PM
also don't use 12 point sockets as for they are more likely to slip and round off the nut or bolt...use 6 point...

DrunkScotsman
11-14-2006, 07:22 AM
where abouts are you located? i have a can of industrial strength nut and bolt lube! ( liquid wrench on steroids) we use it in the warehouse i work at , lmk

Ehron
11-14-2006, 08:30 AM
I am in Sandy Springs. Do they sell the product you have locally? What is it called? Can I get a can from you? I will PM you my number. Thanks.

And yea, I applied PB blaster to the bolt all day every time I got frustrated. So that would be roughly every 15 minutes. :)

Also used 6 point sockets. I don't have Snapon tools so that wasn't an option. I think the next thing I am going to try is to heat up the part that is holding the screw, and pull on it with some vice grips. We shall see.

DrunkScotsman
11-14-2006, 08:28 PM
i am not sure if you can get it locally , it is called ( try not to laugh) "loosey goosey" no joke , lol , i'll give ya the can , dont know the value on it , but if you can pick it up its yours! i'm in gwinnett , lmk

Annihilation
11-14-2006, 10:41 PM
goto Sears get :: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1345559798.1163565600@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccikaddjgijhdljcefecemldffidfjm.0&vertical=SEARS&sid=I0033900150001800085&pid=00952166000

you owe me at $100/hr for tech support....5mins to search for proper link.....$8.33

bdydrpdmazda
11-14-2006, 11:12 PM
if all else fails then just drill the hole out, you have to replace the bolts anyway, pb blaster has always done the trick for me though, liquid graphite is good shit too.

Ehron
11-16-2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Like I said before the screw extractor broke off inside the screw so I can't drill through it anymore. If I encounter any other stuck bolts I will pick that up from Sears.

Ehron
11-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Torch worked. I had two different mechanics tell me it probably wouldn't make a difference so I didn't buy one on Sunday. Well, I had tried everything else so I picked one up, lo and behold, the fucking broken screw is out.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

£G2♣
11-16-2006, 12:26 PM
DAMNNNN I FEEL U LOL.....i went through the same damn situation lol

Vuongy_Dong
11-16-2006, 12:39 PM
went thru same situation. broke a snap on rachet too. and my IR impact gun didnt help either. GL

andddooo
11-19-2006, 01:04 AM
sdfhaskljdfsdf

MTA_Rep
11-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Nah man that ain't shit! Changing the suspension on a 92 hatch.. Thats a bitch and i was using a 6 point! The rachet slipped and broke my nose! the dumb nuts where corroded.. and stripped! Heres a picture...